Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Cafeteria Work Review
Student Employee (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 19, 2015
Pros: Free food before/after shifts
Cons: Limited to 20 hours of work a week
Depending on the time of day the work would either be very busy or very calm. Overall it was a very enjoyable job with pleasant co-workers and management that kept things running smoothly.
great
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), kalamazooMay 9, 2015
fun job fun people worked late worked alone sometimes got tired can do homework on desk job seasonal job over all the job is great for college students
Flexible School Time Work
Architectural Archivist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 9, 2015
With the ability to make our own schedules, the facilities management within western michigan was an excellent place to juggle both work and school. The work itself was quite monotonous, but very interesting as you had access to all the building layouts of every structure to ever have graced the campus. Management was laid back, co-workers were friendly, building was a bit creepy, but overall it was a perfect place to work while attending the college
Excellent place to study and employ
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Physics DepartmentMay 8, 2015
What I learned from WMU:

1.Teaching , grading and proctoring with nice staff and faculty
2.Communication with different people with different countries
3. Excellent faculty and staff help for research , teaching and Graduate studies
4. Worked with friendly and helpful group members
5. Hardest part of the job is to manage work on time, but we did it with better organizing
6. Work with undergraduates and participate for different activities with them are the most enjoyable part when working in this place
Fast paced, friendly helpful staff
Assistant Cook (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2015
Whenever there was a time that I needed assistance, there was always a staff member or management there to give guidance. The most enjoyable part of working here was meeting new people, learning to work in different areas of the kitchen to move around.
Educational and rewarding experience working with students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 19, 2015
Pros: free parking, office
Cons: the pay
A typical day at work included setting up the classroom for the professor and starting up programs on the computer. I administered quizzes organized group projects. After class, I returned to my office where I graded all assignments and met with students as well as the professor to discuss any questions or problems in the class. The TA position is an apprenticeship where I gained the knowledge and skills on how to conduct a college-level classroom and maintain student-professor relations. The hardest part of the job was addressing student plagiarism. It was hard to see a student knowingly copying literature and using it as their own work. However, it provided experience with dealing with a difficult situation and that was rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing students suceed and gain new knowledge.
Diverse Workplace with Joyful People
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: diverse, work environment, co-workers
There isn't a typical work day in the Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University. I assist students, staff, and faculty with various tasks, as well as answering questions. No two days are alike.
I've learned many things through this job. I've expanded on my interpersonal skills, as well as my clerical skills.
My coworker are great people. They're caring individuals who keep the work place a lively and fun environment.
There isn't a part of the job that I find difficult.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the gratification I receive from helping people. Even though I'm helping individuals with simple tasks, it bring me joy to simply be able to help someone.
Amazing location for growth and fun.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Engagement with prospective students and promotions through team efforts that exemplify what makes Western Michigan University.
good
Research associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Very nice, I enjoyed research at Western Michigan University. I was involved in a project that has long aim to find the link between photosynthesis and amino acids metabolism,
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: i deal with a variety of diverse people
Cons: i'm not able to work more than 25 hours a week, i'm a student worker
I process vouchers, answer the phone and questions, I hand out checks to individuals and I have learned patience with individuals and to ask questions to make sure I am giving them the correct help. At times the hardest part is understanding what a person is needing. We deal with many international students and they do know know our slang and word things different. The most enjoyable part is how understanding and flexible they are.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: non demanding/laid back work environment
Cons: pay is too low
- Come to school 30 mins early
- Prepare class room (powerpoint, excel, assignment prep etc.)
- Take attendance
- perform powerpoint or material, etc.
- Dismiss students after assignment assigned
- After class grade worksheets
- Lunch, wait for next class period
Amazing New Experience
Temporary Beginner Processor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
This was a "typical" work day, with some overtime occasionally. I've enjoyed the overall job and having a scheduled work week. It was a temporary assignment to assist with the university's busy time of enrollment.
Fun Workplace
Lead Receptionists/ Payroll (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2015
Positive work environment
work/life balance
cares about employees
friendly co workers
room to grow with the company
Employee Appreciation Days
Co-Instructor
Co-Instructor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 27, 2015
I have worked with upcoming Freshman for most of my college career. A typical day at work included me going into class and assisting the professor in the presentation of topic or assignments. The professor I worked with was a great professor and truly loved his job which made mine rewarding as well. I liked that I was able to be an asset to students if they needed me regarding personal or school life.
Great University
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 20, 2015
Western Michigan University has enhanced my life tremendously since I first set foot on campus. The education, the job I have, and the people here are amazing! I have the opportunity to work under a professor to assist with research and other needs that teach me more about higher education and the effort needed to create a successful learning environment.
bad job when working for temp service (dining services)
Dining services - temp. employee (Former Employee), DiningJanuary 16, 2015
Cons: way too much upper management that does not have a clue.
they say they are an equal opportunity employer. They are not!!! Students beware - very costly and they don't care about you. Go to KVCC or another community college if you can.

Don't go WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great place to work!
Academic Intern (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2015
Working at WMU has been a blast. Supervisors accommodate busy schedules for students while still giving them the opportunity to experience real world business planning.
referee
Accurately judge (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2015
i refereed all sports games including football basketball and others.
Tutor
Electrical and Computer Engineering Tutor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 15, 2014
Typical day at tutoring position involved working with students who had issues with their digital logic labs and help them understand the problem so they could complete the course work.
Awesome setting
Resident Hall Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 8, 2014
The people are great to work with, as well as residents and guest.

1 2 3 4 5

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Salaries