Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Amazing location for growth and fun.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Engagement with prospective students and promotions through team efforts that exemplify what makes Western Michigan University.
good
Research associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Very nice, I enjoyed research at Western Michigan University. I was involved in a project that has long aim to find the link between photosynthesis and amino acids metabolism,
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: i deal with a variety of diverse people
Cons: i'm not able to work more than 25 hours a week, i'm a student worker
I process vouchers, answer the phone and questions, I hand out checks to individuals and I have learned patience with individuals and to ask questions to make sure I am giving them the correct help. At times the hardest part is understanding what a person is needing. We deal with many international students and they do know know our slang and word things different. The most enjoyable part is how understanding and flexible they are.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: non demanding/laid back work environment
Cons: pay is too low
- Come to school 30 mins early
- Prepare class room (powerpoint, excel, assignment prep etc.)
- Take attendance
- perform powerpoint or material, etc.
- Dismiss students after assignment assigned
- After class grade worksheets
- Lunch, wait for next class period
Amazing New Experience
Temporary Beginner Processor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
This was a "typical" work day, with some overtime occasionally. I've enjoyed the overall job and having a scheduled work week. It was a temporary assignment to assist with the university's busy time of enrollment.
Fun Workplace
Lead Receptionists/ Payroll (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2015
Positive work environment
work/life balance
cares about employees
friendly co workers
room to grow with the company
Employee Appreciation Days
Co-Instructor
Co-Instructor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 27, 2015
I have worked with upcoming Freshman for most of my college career. A typical day at work included me going into class and assisting the professor in the presentation of topic or assignments. The professor I worked with was a great professor and truly loved his job which made mine rewarding as well. I liked that I was able to be an asset to students if they needed me regarding personal or school life.
Great University
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 20, 2015
Western Michigan University has enhanced my life tremendously since I first set foot on campus. The education, the job I have, and the people here are amazing! I have the opportunity to work under a professor to assist with research and other needs that teach me more about higher education and the effort needed to create a successful learning environment.
bad job when working for temp service (dining services)
Dining services - temp. employee (Former Employee), DiningJanuary 16, 2015
Cons: way too much upper management that does not have a clue.
they say they are an equal opportunity employer. They are not!!! Students beware - very costly and they don't care about you. Go to KVCC or another community college if you can.

Don't go WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great place to work!
Academic Intern (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2015
Working at WMU has been a blast. Supervisors accommodate busy schedules for students while still giving them the opportunity to experience real world business planning.
referee
Accurately judge (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2015
i refereed all sports games including football basketball and others.
Tutor
Electrical and Computer Engineering Tutor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 15, 2014
Typical day at tutoring position involved working with students who had issues with their digital logic labs and help them understand the problem so they could complete the course work.
Awesome setting
Resident Hall Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 8, 2014
The people are great to work with, as well as residents and guest.
This was an excellent school to attend.
Group Counselor Co-Facilitator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 4, 2014
Western Michigan University was not my employer, but it was where I went to school in order to receive my advanced degree in School Counseling.
Great Student job
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 1, 2014
Great team of professionals and a positive work environment. Each employee works hard and is required to hold themselves accountable.
Best social work assistant in the West-ern
Social Work Office Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2014
Pros: giving social work student advice for incoming cohorts, helping with outgoing cohort experiences, working with the dean
Cons: not alot of supervision ( most questions would be answered at a later time), did alot of organization and planning
On a typical day as an assistant consisted of filing student files, making lots of copies for staff and students, and socializing with students and staff; I also was responsible for my own cohort leaving the social work program and a new cohort entering the social work program. I helped plan and organize my own social work cohort's graduation (with flyers, order of service and names of graduating class, flowers, cupcakes, cake, gifts, etc.). I learned organizational skills that would prepare me for the realm of social work.
Be careful
Account Representative (Former Employee), Kalamazoo,MiOctober 27, 2014
They can get rid of you any minute, they are not very good about hiring non college graduates. They have selective hiring. They looked down on you if you don't have a degree.
food service
Clean, monitor entry, cook (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 7, 2014
This is a great place to work for a person just starting college learning about food and meeting people.
Family type atmosphere
Women's Basketball Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
Pros: free team apparel, opportunity to travel
Cons: little room for advancement
The culture is very family oriented and centered around working towards a common goal. Co- workers are extremely supportive and eager to help in advancement of personal and team goals.
Valuable Learning Experiences
Graduate Research Assistant: Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
Great place to grow professionally. I had great experiences with the feedback and support I was given from my supervisors and colleagues.

1 2 3 4 5

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos