Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Tutor
Electrical and Computer Engineering Tutor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 15, 2014
Typical day at tutoring position involved working with students who had issues with their digital logic labs and help them understand the problem so they could complete the course work.
Awesome setting
Resident Hall Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 8, 2014
The people are great to work with, as well as residents and guest.
This was an excellent school to attend.
Group Counselor Co-Facilitator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 4, 2014
Western Michigan University was not my employer, but it was where I went to school in order to receive my advanced degree in School Counseling.
Great Student job
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 1, 2014
Great team of professionals and a positive work environment. Each employee works hard and is required to hold themselves accountable.
Best social work assistant in the West-ern
Social Work Office Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2014
Pros: giving social work student advice for incoming cohorts, helping with outgoing cohort experiences, working with the dean
Cons: not alot of supervision ( most questions would be answered at a later time), did alot of organization and planning
On a typical day as an assistant consisted of filing student files, making lots of copies for staff and students, and socializing with students and staff; I also was responsible for my own cohort leaving the social work program and a new cohort entering the social work program. I helped plan and organize my own social work cohort's graduation (with – more... flyers, order of service and names of graduating class, flowers, cupcakes, cake, gifts, etc.). I learned organizational skills that would prepare me for the realm of social work. – less
Be careful
Account Representative (Former Employee), Kalamazoo,MiOctober 27, 2014
They can get rid of you any minute, they are not very good about hiring non college graduates. They have selective hiring. They looked down on you if you don't have a degree.
food service
Clean, monitor entry, cook (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 7, 2014
This is a great place to work for a person just starting college learning about food and meeting people.
Family type atmosphere
Women's Basketball Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
Pros: free team apparel, opportunity to travel
Cons: little room for advancement
The culture is very family oriented and centered around working towards a common goal. Co- workers are extremely supportive and eager to help in advancement of personal and team goals.
Valuable Learning Experiences
Graduate Research Assistant: Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
Great place to grow professionally. I had great experiences with the feedback and support I was given from my supervisors and colleagues.
Best school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 15, 2014
Western is very good in terms of treating graduate assistants
Required for Indeed
Bronco Express Telephone Representative (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 3, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement, health benefits
Cons: wages, compensation, management
A typical day - a busy call volume, calls come into a call que. I mostly provide instruction to students to navigate their account or the WMU website or provide timelines for paperwork processing. Wish position involved more hands-on information processing, trouble shooting and the ability to resolve problems/provide solutions. Best part of job is providing – more... quality customer service and making the customer happy. – less
Creative workplace with a flexible schedule
Teaching Assistantship/Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 18, 2014
Taught undergraduate students and ran laboratory experiments for undergraduate classes and the hydrogeology summer fieldcamp.
Learning environment and a launch base
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 14, 2014
A typical day starts with literature review and lab experiments. I have learned team work and communication skills. Strengthened my technical abilities and software knowledge.
The hardest part of the job was to figure out the problems in the data we gathered and fix it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the moment we found the result and response.
Diverse and inclusive university
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 10, 2014
WMU is a wonderful place to learn about new cultures and gather a plethora of new learning experiences.
Great
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), kalamazoo, MIJuly 7, 2014
Great place to be with room for growth and development. Wonderful co workers and management.
Student Receptionist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJune 18, 2014
On a regular day, the supervisor will have an assignment for you when you come into work. Typical filing, creating data spreadsheet, or organizing. Also, every few weeks there is a meeting or event and the student receptionist has to setup and clean the meeting area before and after.

Overall, as a student receptionist you'll help with whatever the – more... supervisor need you to do and still have time to do class work. – less
Great School
Public Relations (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganMay 26, 2014
Pros: opportunities
Cons: weather
Western is a great school!
The hardest part of Western is leaving. I enjoy being at Western
Education
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2014
This was an institute of education. I worked there for my work study program. Great experience, great people.
Hands down excellent place to work as a student
Financial Aid Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 14, 2014
Pros: close leadership and guidance
Cons: none.
Financial Aid department is the best to balance between pro experiences and meaningful experience.
NIce job for students, friendly people, work with kids
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 6, 2014
40% - Organized lesson plans, taught children ages 3-12 years of age proper swimming technique and skills, from introducing toddlers to the water, up to providing coaching for older children.
60% - Watched over lap/open swim, swim lessons in order to make sure no one was in danger and provide assistance if needed.

1 2 3 4 5

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos