Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

It was good
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed working there. They faculty was kind to me and I really liked the students. Western gave me a lot of great experience that I can be sure to use in my future career.
Productive work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 17, 2017
General office support and faculty support: answer phone calls, emails, order supplies, make copies, and scan documents for faculty and students. Development of new material for courses. Assisted faculty member with a research project; engaged in literature searches.
Universities are now businesses..
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 15, 2017
Overall WMU is a nice, decent size university.

I wish the budgets would be more dedicated to help students and improve teaching quality and variety, instead of wasting it on art - not made by our students..

It's idealistic but I dream of a university dedicated to knowledge, not money and appearances.
Pros
small campus, easy access on foot everywhere
Cons
not enough parking spaces for students (when they pay an expensive pass)
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49525May 12, 2017
Typical workload for adjunct faculty., They do provide great training and support to faculty. Staff is great, students are well prepared and have solid foundation from previous classes.
Pros
great training
Cons
salary
Stressful
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 8, 2017
Being a graduate student is stressful in general. Having other duties to do brings more stress. People there are gentle and they mange things really well but there are a lot of duties to do.
Great place
OIT Helpdesk Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2017
Everyone is very nice and accepting at WMU, Always willing to allow you to learn more and willing to teach. Great work environment. Opportunities to move up do come along as well as opportunities to move to other departments.
Productive learning environment
Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1343 Ellsworth HallMay 2, 2017
They are lenient with scheduling and also go out there way to help with additional help for students and faculty. The Director over the writing center program is also very supportive and dependable.
Fun and inclusive environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2017
I loved being an RA. I was excited from day 1 and wanted to build a community and as soon as residents poured in, I took charge and started building a floor family. It wasn't too difficult considering I had mostly transfer students who were eager to enjoy the res hall life. My hall director was great and I hardly had problems with the job itself. My studies however, did take a hit but that was also in large part because of personal issues.
Pros
Community development
Cons
No definition of hours (on call almost 24/7) since you live where you work
Great development opportunity on campus
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 30, 2017
I was contacted to do this job because I have good grades in math, past leadership experience as an Eagle Scout. I was trained by the Math Department to become a Learning Assistant. I was assigned a class, where I would support the professor's learning material and instruction. I also held independent tutoring sessions to review material with students in detail.
Wonderful job.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  SeibertApril 25, 2017
I really do love working at this position and would recommend working at WMU to anyone! The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful, some jobs are fast paced and some are not, there is something for everyone.
Great job for a student
Kalamazoo - Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2017
I love the work environment; the supervisors and my co-workers are amazingly kind and are happy to work around my class schedule. I would stay forever if I could get more hours and higher pay.
Overall good work experience for a full-time college student
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2017
My typical work day includes completing tasks that the Hall Director assigns me as well as assisting students with any troubles they are experiencing while living in the residence halls.
The best job I've had
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 4, 2017
I worked for the computer lab, and I worked the night shift. They were wonderful with my school schedule and the job was overwhelmingly simple. Best job I've ever had!
Great place
Assistant Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work, amazing people and incredible experiences. I loved working for them and would do it again in a heartbeat but unfortunately had to move on for a different job.
Pros
Free clothing and laundry, paid travel
Cons
pay is not great and very time consuming
Great environment
Financial Aid & Scholarships Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2017
One of the best places I ever worked for. Positive environment, great shifts, flexibility, management was great, and much much more. I would highly recommend
Productive and insightful work experience
Ethnographic Film Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2017
Working with Professor Jon Holtzman on his ethnographic film was both a great learning opportunity and provided excellent experience for film editing.
A Place of Growth and Expansion
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2017
This particular institution can provide individuals with the experience and knowledge to improve their professional career; however, there are is a tremendous need for additional diversity and inclusion.
Pros
Work experience with senior faculty
Student Lead
Student Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2017
It wasn't a bad job as a student attending the school. As a full time employee now looking back though, upward movement was severely restricted to those colleagues of mine that were not student workers.
My Research work
Head of Aquaponics Research (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2017
This job was all upon my shoulders to create my research and data collect on my own work. I would report back to my boss and they would work with me learn to analyze my data and get it into writing. The best thing about this job was also the worst depending how it was looked at, but the freedom to work on our own and creating and using my own research, which created the best real world experience.
Pros
real research
Cons
working alone at times
worker
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 6, 2017
It was very relaxing and fun.Learned how to be more social and met new people.Work was energy and we got to do homework too.
Pros
homework
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4