Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Intensive yet productive work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 7, 2016
You learn lots of new technologies but the work is very demanding and very hard to balance your life. The benefits is in experience rather than in money.
The place where I learned the most
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MIAugust 25, 2016
Professors, students, staff and every one are supportive. I learned how to conduct research, write, and contribute to my field. mainly, I enjoyed field trips when we inspected bridges.
Very good place to work
Research Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  OVPRAugust 16, 2016
Very supportive management. Co-workers excellent. Allowed independant work and thinking while having a supportive environment in which to succeed.
Everyday life
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 27, 2016
Work with student helping them achieve goals and etc.
Things learned while working were multitasking, working within a group setting, and computer skills. hardest part of the job was working with students who were uncooperative. The most enkoyable part of my job was helping student navigate there way through college and helping them achieve their goals.
Productive work environment
Technical Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 23, 2016
A typical day of work at Western Michigan University starts with a very relaxed environment. For this company I put together office furniture, which is something I have never done in the past. My management gave me many different responsibilities, without forcefully micro-managing every detail of every job. My co-workers varied from day to day. The most enjoyable part of this particular job, was having been given the opportunity and room to grow.
Great place to work!
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 23, 2016
WMU is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers were supportive and you definetly felt the team effort. Management had your back and was willing to help you advance with career and professional development. The institution offered great benefits that met with your health and family lifestyle. Healthy life choices were encouraged and fitness benefits were great. Loved working in a place where you are respected and treated well.
Wmu football
Football Video Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 21, 2016
Awesome college job, many many sports related perks. Loved the players and coaches and folks I worked with, except management left something to be desired, otherwise very very good college job.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 20, 2016
• Gained knowledge over Face tracking and Face Detection.
• Developed an algorithm based on viola jones model and solved problems.
• Assisted professor in creating new models and detailed
Great school and place to work
Finance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 10, 2016
I worked as a tutor and it was nice to have a flexible work schedule around my classes. I was able to work individually with many students and help to improve their grades.
Best place to Study and full of work opportunities
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Student Recreation CenterJune 9, 2016
I love its diversity and all the opportunities to develop a professional careers starting working within campus. The SRC is the best way to meet new people and develop relationships with everyone at the University, etc.
Pros
a lots of opportunities
Cons
we can't work more than 25 hours.
Great place to build professional work ethic!
Study Abroad Outreach Designer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 6, 2016
Greatly enjoyed working with my coworkers and boss! They provided a supportive environment which helped optimize everyone's work performance! I really enjoy jobs that let me exercise my creativity so this was a good fit for me!
Huge Time Commitment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2016
This job requires a lot of time and visible presence. You are required to go to ongoing training and meetings. You have to be on duty on so many weekends and nights throughout the semester. You must work a desk shift. You have to check in on residents about almost every life aspect.
Pros
Dorm Room and Meal Plan is free
Cons
No real free time, no stipend or paper money/checks are paid to you
Good for on Campus job
Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2016
A typical day is what shift/duty you were scheduled for at the beginning of the year.
I learned great customer service skills just by interacting with the students and staff that came into the cafe and ordered food.
Nice experience working with police departemnt
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would be monitoring campus by feet by checking buildings and etc. Learned police codes, Hardest part of the job was working till 2:00 am. Most enjoyable part was working game days and monitoring tailgates.
Pros
Just have to monitor campus
Cons
Standing up for hours in different weather till about 1:00 am
what a typical day at works look like, customer service and co workers
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2016
My opinion on my typical day at work was that it was easy to get used to the routine. Whenever we had a rush load of people it was stressful but manageable and I did not have a hard time checking people in during those times at all. I got along well with my co workers and even improved my customer service skills. The main lesson I learned at work was to think before acting. During my time at this job I dealt with a very aggressive racist situation and I had to learn to think and not act and not let people ignorance control my temper. Overall that really helped my work ethic skills and I am much better worker now and much more prepared for high intense situations such as that one.
Pros
Flexible scheduale, good manager, co workers, lunch breaks.
Productive workplace and management
Campus Frond Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2016
WMU was a good way for me to communicate with students as well as managers. I was able to balance school and jobs through the university because of the flexibility. The management was very helpful and eager to see students succeed.
college
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2016
Good university and makes every student to gain the practical knowledge. Professors are helpful in making the students to understand the cocepts.
Great College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2016
Working as a resident assistant is a great experience for college students. You develop strong interpersonal skills, management skills, and can explore your creative side. Living with students who can be similar in age poses a challenge when trying to fulfill job duties, because many times these students see you as a peer. Overall it is a great experience that helped me grow in many aspects of my life.
Wmu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2016
Overall the support staff was nice to talk to. The instructors I worked under where understanding, supportive, and strict. Which all helped me become a better instructor. I would highly recommend others to teach as a graduate assistant here.
Pros
Classes paid for, plus a check.
Cons
over worked
A fun and well-paced environment
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 26, 2016
I felt welcome at Western. The staff and managment understood my concerns and worked with me to solve them. Pay was always on-time .

4.4