Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Great Reslife Department
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 1, 2015
I worked as a Resident Assistant for 2 years at WMU. The compensation was great! The college had added free WiFi for the whole school year when I started on top of free room and board. It was really great.

Sometimes it was really hard to balance working, social and academic lives. When you had to be on duty for the crazy weekends it was hard to find time to get things done for class. I learned after my first year to try and get things done ASAP if I was scheduled to work one of those weekends.

The management and support I received from WMU was great. The staff was really helpful and supportive to help make us successful to then in turn have happy and healthy residents. There was also a great network between the Resident Assistants, the Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants and the Office of Residence Life to help all of us find work or further studies after undergrad. We all helped each other out. It was really great.

As for advancement there really was not a plan for that unless you became a Graduate Assistant but really that is a whole other job. As you gained experience as a Resident Assistant people looked to you for advise and guidance, but there was no formal outline for job advancement.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Room, Free WiFi, Great group of friends and supporters
Cons
Balance between work, social life and academic life
Student Employment
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2013
A typical day of work was meeting in the morning and the unionized people complaining in order to make the meeting longer and unproductive. After the meeting ended employees split off to receive their assigned vehicles and start on daily tasks such as weed whipping and edging (students only) while the unionized people went to their break rooms and ate breakfast and drank coffee until approximately 8:00 am (we started at 6:00 am).
What I learned was a great deal from my supervisor who taught me about invasive species and trail management in the Natural Areas and Preserves (donated to the Board of Education by various people). My supervisor also taught me about different species of birds and plant life natural to Michigan and how to promote their growth.
I liked the management of Western Michigan University however the unionized employees of the AFSCME union did not like to work and constantly complained that students where trying to take there jobs that they refused to do.
The Management constantly had to take unionized employees into meetings with their union representative for not working and complaining about the student employees, by the way, who are limited in the number of hours they could work and the rate of pay the was considerably less than what the unionized people where paid.
Online Education Instructional Designer- (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 1, 2014
•Lead and manage the US HR budget, holding regular reviews with each budget owner within this area, providing the forecasts and be the one contact point for Finance
•Drive and develop through consultation with stakeholders, effective business facing metrics & ad-hoc reporting (via a dashboard approach) that aligns and supports the HR strategy for the different business units & functions
•Develop and deliver HRSS internal metrics, identifying trends and insights for improvement of operational efficiency
•Leverage our full systems capability to create impactful visual representations of metrics to aid understanding enabling customers unfamiliar with data analysis and technology to easily interpret insights and determine strategic decisions
•Partner with IT on identifying and suggesting areas of improvement on technology to support analysis objectives
•Develop and deliver HR metrics training to HR staff across the Americas as appropriate
•Participate in external policy forums/groups to benchmark, identify and keep abreast of industry best practice and to highlight areas of shortfall to the business in relation to metrics and
Perfect while I was a student
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2015
I was responsible for setting up large lab activities. This meant arriving early to prepare materials and open labs for the students. I was responsible for teaching complex geologic concepts to non-science majors. I also graded and managed all of the students work.

This job taught me a lot about patience and what it takes to teach. I loved all of my co-workers, and enjoyed learning from all of them as well. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with student complaints and questions. It often felt like I answered the same question over and over to the same group of people. Being able to constructively work with students was a great way to gain patience.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Core Kids program. I really enjoyed teaching younger students about geologic concepts. They were all so passionate and helped to remind me why I love geosciences so much.
Pros
office on campus, discounted tuition
Cons
low pay
work and life balance and job has challenge
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2012
Responsible for deploying/maintaining/troubleshooting hardware infrastructure (server, workstation and CISCO devices), software implement and configuration for entire virtual training environment (VTE), and assisting senior students in completing their hands-on lab assignments or E-Firm projects from the training program of companies.
I have learned to configure CISCO devices and deploy the configuration of servers and clients in network topology.
I have my own free time when I've done with my work, so my supervisor does not ask me how many hours I work in a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is challenge in the job. Need to create virtual training environment for E-Firm project from the training program of a company.
The hardest part of the job is to maintain hardware infrastructure, upgrade systems/software, or deploy a different virtual training environment.
Educational and rewarding experience working with students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 19, 2015
A typical day at work included setting up the classroom for the professor and starting up programs on the computer. I administered quizzes organized group projects. After class, I returned to my office where I graded all assignments and met with students as well as the professor to discuss any questions or problems in the class. The TA position is an apprenticeship where I gained the knowledge and skills on how to conduct a college-level classroom and maintain student-professor relations. The hardest part of the job was addressing student plagiarism. It was hard to see a student knowingly copying literature and using it as their own work. However, it provided experience with dealing with a difficult situation and that was rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing students suceed and gain new knowledge.
Pros
free parking, office
Cons
the pay
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved).
Pros
friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons
small workspace.
Best social work assistant in the West-ern
Social Work Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2014
On a typical day as an assistant consisted of filing student files, making lots of copies for staff and students, and socializing with students and staff; I also was responsible for my own cohort leaving the social work program and a new cohort entering the social work program. I helped plan and organize my own social work cohort's graduation (with flyers, order of service and names of graduating class, flowers, cupcakes, cake, gifts, etc.). I learned organizational skills that would prepare me for the realm of social work.
Pros
giving social work student advice for incoming cohorts, helping with outgoing cohort experiences, working with the dean
Cons
not alot of supervision ( most questions would be answered at a later time), did alot of organization and planning
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation
Pros
we could use all the equipment
Cons
no breaks and no food
Diverse Workplace with Joyful People
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 11, 2015
There isn't a typical work day in the Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University. I assist students, staff, and faculty with various tasks, as well as answering questions. No two days are alike.
I've learned many things through this job. I've expanded on my interpersonal skills, as well as my clerical skills.
My coworker are great people. They're caring individuals who keep the work place a lively and fun environment.
There isn't a part of the job that I find difficult.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the gratification I receive from helping people. Even though I'm helping individuals with simple tasks, it bring me joy to simply be able to help someone.
Pros
diverse, work environment, co-workers
Great environment to be outside and learn
student worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Normally as a student worker we would help pick up trash in the morning then depending on the season we would either go and mow grass, mulch of tree leaves in the fall and in winter would go and salt entrances and shovel entrances. I learned how to accomplish tasks on a timely manner, work in groups and work well individually. My co-workers are really nice people and help give advice if need be. The hardest part of my job is when other workers take an equipment and then i can not do my job till hopefully the next day. On the other hand a great part of my job is being able to work outside and be able to work a full day and finish work at 2:30 pm in the afternoon.
Pros
Being outside, finishing work afternoon
Cons
Short breaks
Relaxed and flexible work environment
Student Aid/Assistant Budget Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 25, 2014
The Budget Office at Western Michigan University was a good job for a student of the college, their ability to work around my class schedule was beneficial. I was unable to work more than 25 hours a week, no matter the time of year which was why I was unable to remain at the position. The people in the office were great, very friendly and always willing to help. This job is ideal for a finance/accounting major rather than a marketing major because you are dealing with numbers and adjustments on a daily basis. I was able to form relationships with administrative professionals in other departments in the administration building and respect this department greatly.
they provide free food and we get an off after 4hours of continuous work
Mentor (Current Employee) –  michiganJanuary 3, 2014
Though sometimes the job nature is very hectic , there are times when we are very free. I love my job as i can handle my expenses on my own without much pressure. I have learnt to work as a team and to manage my team after my experience at my school. I have been mentoring students for about a year now. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes there are some mis-communications within the team which has lead to quite a few problems. But nevertheless, it has been a wonderful experience being a part of this work ! It has made me self-confident and has also given a new dimension for my life .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very short breaks upto just 10 mins
Productive and fun place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Office Assistant/OnStaff Temp Agency (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 5, 2015
I would get to work and turn on my computer and look at my schedule for the day. I would greet and check clients in and also make their next appointment(s). Answer busy phones and direct clients to the appropriate person or building that they needed. Entered confidential information into the computer. Also, scanned clients consent forms. Called clients the day before to remind them of their appointments. Took vital signs for our psychiatrist.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and clients. Always had something to do.
Cons
I always at by myself for lunch. They had a budget cut and had to let me go.
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents.
Pros
free snacks, we were allowed to listen to pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons
parking
The benefits were excellent with free tuition
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2013
I enjoy working in a professional business office with skill to work on special projects at the supervisor level: maintain excellent oral communication skills, problem resolution abilities, and a high level of confidentiality; extensive experience working with the general public, customer service and office support skills; enthusiastic, mature, self-reliant, hardworking disposition, and illustrate leadership and training skills.
Pros
free back rubs once a month, shoes allowance once a year
Cons
breakrooms had no windows
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2015
I process vouchers, answer the phone and questions, I hand out checks to individuals and I have learned patience with individuals and to ask questions to make sure I am giving them the correct help. At times the hardest part is understanding what a person is needing. We deal with many international students and they do know know our slang and word things different. The most enjoyable part is how understanding and flexible they are.
Pros
i deal with a variety of diverse people
Cons
i'm not able to work more than 25 hours a week, i'm a student worker
Excellent place to study and employ
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Physics DepartmentMay 8, 2015
What I learned from WMU:

1.Teaching , grading and proctoring with nice staff and faculty
2.Communication with different people with different countries
3. Excellent faculty and staff help for research , teaching and Graduate studies
4. Worked with friendly and helpful group members
5. Hardest part of the job is to manage work on time, but we did it with better organizing
6. Work with undergraduates and participate for different activities with them are the most enjoyable part when working in this place
Required for Indeed
Bronco Express Telephone Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 3, 2014
A typical day - a busy call volume, calls come into a call que. I mostly provide instruction to students to navigate their account or the WMU website or provide timelines for paperwork processing. Wish position involved more hands-on information processing, trouble shooting and the ability to resolve problems/provide solutions. Best part of job is providing quality customer service and making the customer happy.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, health benefits
Cons
wages, compensation, management
As my first graduate school experience I was thrilled: the professors were intelligent and engaging, and I was only too happy to learn from them.
Master's Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 22, 2015
WMU was a very good introduction to writing and scholarship at the graduate level, and I enjoyed my two years of study there, with courses like Literary Theory, Women's Literature, and Poetics.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Small graduate student stipends. And "tuition remission, " meaning after stipends were dispensed the cost of tuition was taken back from stipend.

4.4