Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Great university
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 13, 2015
Great university, not the best pay but it is nice to have your degree paid for. Would recommend university raise TA pay so that is competitive with other universities.
Great College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2016
Working as a resident assistant is a great experience for college students. You develop strong interpersonal skills, management skills, and can explore your creative side. Living with students who can be similar in age poses a challenge when trying to fulfill job duties, because many times these students see you as a peer. Overall it is a great experience that helped me grow in many aspects of my life.
what a typical day at works look like, customer service and co workers
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2016
My opinion on my typical day at work was that it was easy to get used to the routine. Whenever we had a rush load of people it was stressful but manageable and I did not have a hard time checking people in during those times at all. I got along well with my co workers and even improved my customer service skills. The main lesson I learned at work was to think before acting. During my time at this job I dealt with a very aggressive racist situation and I had to learn to think and not act and not let people ignorance control my temper. Overall that really helped my work ethic skills and I am much better worker now and much more prepared for high intense situations such as that one.
Pros
Flexible scheduale, good manager, co workers, lunch breaks.
Cons
Great environment to be outside and learn
student worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Normally as a student worker we would help pick up trash in the morning then depending on the season we would either go and mow grass, mulch of tree leaves in the fall and in winter would go and salt entrances and shovel entrances. I learned how to accomplish tasks on a timely manner, work in groups and work well individually. My co-workers are really nice people and help give advice if need be. The hardest part of my job is when other workers take an equipment and then i can not do my job till hopefully the next day. On the other hand a great part of my job is being able to work outside and be able to work a full day and finish work at 2:30 pm in the afternoon.
Pros
Being outside, finishing work afternoon
Cons
Short breaks
Great place to work!
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 23, 2016
WMU is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers were supportive and you definetly felt the team effort. Management had your back and was willing to help you advance with career and professional development. The institution offered great benefits that met with your health and family lifestyle. Healthy life choices were encouraged and fitness benefits were great. Loved working in a place where you are respected and treated well.
It was a very good position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 18, 2016
1. Flexible all days.
2. Academic and implementation the project design
3. It needs a management experience.
4. I was working individual.
5. Hardest part is to verify your system requirements.
6. Most Enjoyable part is when you find the best design and look at the system how fit is your output and correct.
Huge Time Commitment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2016
This job requires a lot of time and visible presence. You are required to go to ongoing training and meetings. You have to be on duty on so many weekends and nights throughout the semester. You must work a desk shift. You have to check in on residents about almost every life aspect.
Pros
Dorm Room and Meal Plan is free
Cons
No real free time, no stipend or paper money/checks are paid to you
Nice experience working with police departemnt
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would be monitoring campus by feet by checking buildings and etc. Learned police codes, Hardest part of the job was working till 2:00 am. Most enjoyable part was working game days and monitoring tailgates.
Pros
Just have to monitor campus
Cons
Standing up for hours in different weather till about 1:00 am
Best place to Study and full of work opportunities
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Student Recreation CenterJune 9, 2016
I love its diversity and all the opportunities to develop a professional careers starting working within campus. The SRC is the best way to meet new people and develop relationships with everyone at the University, etc.
Pros
a lots of opportunities
Cons
we can't work more than 25 hours.
Great place to build professional work ethic!
Study Abroad Outreach Designer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 6, 2016
Greatly enjoyed working with my coworkers and boss! They provided a supportive environment which helped optimize everyone's work performance! I really enjoy jobs that let me exercise my creativity so this was a good fit for me!

Want to know more about Western Michigan University?

Ask a question
Great Reslife Department
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 1, 2015
I worked as a Resident Assistant for 2 years at WMU. The compensation was great! The college had added free WiFi for the whole school year when I started on top of free room and board. It was really great.

Sometimes it was really hard to balance working, social and academic lives. When you had to be on duty for the crazy weekends it was hard to find time to get things done for class. I learned after my first year to try and get things done ASAP if I was scheduled to work one of those weekends.

The management and support I received from WMU was great. The staff was really helpful and supportive to help make us successful to then in turn have happy and healthy residents. There was also a great network between the Resident Assistants, the Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants and the Office of Residence Life to help all of us find work or further studies after undergrad. We all helped each other out. It was really great.

As for advancement there really was not a plan for that unless you became a Graduate Assistant but really that is a whole other job. As you gained experience as a Resident Assistant people looked to you for advise and guidance, but there was no formal outline for job advancement.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Room, Free WiFi, Great group of friends and supporters
Cons
Balance between work, social life and academic life
Productive workplace and management
Campus Frond Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2016
WMU was a good way for me to communicate with students as well as managers. I was able to balance school and jobs through the university because of the flexibility. The management was very helpful and eager to see students succeed.
Wmu football
Football Video Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 21, 2016
Awesome college job, many many sports related perks. Loved the players and coaches and folks I worked with, except management left something to be desired, otherwise very very good college job.
Good for on Campus job
Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2016
A typical day is what shift/duty you were scheduled for at the beginning of the year.
I learned great customer service skills just by interacting with the students and staff that came into the cafe and ordered food.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 20, 2016
• Gained knowledge over Face tracking and Face Detection.
• Developed an algorithm based on viola jones model and solved problems.
• Assisted professor in creating new models and detailed
Great school and place to work
Finance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 10, 2016
I worked as a tutor and it was nice to have a flexible work schedule around my classes. I was able to work individually with many students and help to improve their grades.
Wmu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2016
Overall the support staff was nice to talk to. The instructors I worked under where understanding, supportive, and strict. Which all helped me become a better instructor. I would highly recommend others to teach as a graduate assistant here.
Pros
Classes paid for, plus a check.
Cons
over worked
Relaxed environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 6, 2015
Love working with people, helping out when possible. Finding creative solutions to problems, must be flexible. The pace is either fast or slow so must be able to adapt quickly and know how to fill in empty gaps of time.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, supportive supervisor.
Cons
No benefits as my position is temporary full time.
college
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2016
Good university and makes every student to gain the practical knowledge. Professors are helpful in making the students to understand the cocepts.
As my first graduate school experience I was thrilled: the professors were intelligent and engaging, and I was only too happy to learn from them.
Master's Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 22, 2015
WMU was a very good introduction to writing and scholarship at the graduate level, and I enjoyed my two years of study there, with courses like Literary Theory, Women's Literature, and Poetics.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Small graduate student stipends. And "tuition remission, " meaning after stipends were dispensed the cost of tuition was taken back from stipend.

4.4