Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Doctoral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 1, 2016
This is a nice place. People are friendly. I got some good opportunities and learned a lot of things from this place. The management is very good. The campus is beautiful.
More field work and interesting colleagues
Teaching Assistant for Geospatial Technology (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 19, 2016
Enjoy field work so much. Looking for a job that allows me to use my Geographic Information Science(GIS) and or Land surveying skills. No problem with traveling as well.
Pros
Free lunch won't be bad
Cons
Healthcare
Many opportunities
Associate Professor, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 6, 2016
A place to learn, grow and have many opportunities to be all that you can be. I highly recommend this university for students and faculty. The best part of the job was creating new programs.
Great management and constructive criticism
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 4, 2016
Western Michigan University is a wonderful place of employment for enrolled students. Working in the residence hall provides experience with different ages and cultures all in one environment. The customer service aspect of the Residence Life department is a great way to gain experience with managing many different types of situations and answering a wide range of questions.
Pros
On campus, work with peers
Cons
Lots of sitting, and some difficult situatioins
One of the best experiences I've ever had.
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 1, 2016
I got to work with 34 plus people over the course of three months. I got to spend time learning how to work with one another even though we may have had different styles, it also allowed me to get outside of my comfort zone and learn new skills.
Working at Western Michigan University.
Maintenance Roofer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 26, 2016
I looked forward to going to work at Western. The job was interesting and challenging and productive. If I needed help for a project there was always some one ready to help. Of course I was ready to help other workers. It was good to have the give and take.
A positive environment was great.
The hardest part of the job was the winter weather, but even that was doable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working out side.
Management was always helpful.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
Cold weather
Western Michigan University
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 12, 2016
Western Michigan University student instructor: Requires setting and meeting deadlines while enforcing policies and keeping records. Listening attentively, help provide support for others in a friendly, comforting and professional way. Encouraged and provided clear and appropriate feedback to students and staff members. Instructing has enhanced my willingness to take risk, enhanced my communication skill and innovation skills.
Nice place to work if busy student
Customer Service Specialist, SRC (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 25, 2016
-Few Hours
-Great management
-Great Culture
-Promotions every semester
-Simple work
-Right on campus
-Management tries to get close to employees
-Set up events for staff
Intensive yet productive work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 7, 2016
You learn lots of new technologies but the work is very demanding and very hard to balance your life. The benefits is in experience rather than in money.
The place where I learned the most
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MIAugust 25, 2016
Professors, students, staff and every one are supportive. I learned how to conduct research, write, and contribute to my field. mainly, I enjoyed field trips when we inspected bridges.
Very good place to work
Research Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  OVPRAugust 16, 2016
Very supportive management. Co-workers excellent. Allowed independant work and thinking while having a supportive environment in which to succeed.
Everyday life
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 27, 2016
Work with student helping them achieve goals and etc.
Things learned while working were multitasking, working within a group setting, and computer skills. hardest part of the job was working with students who were uncooperative. The most enkoyable part of my job was helping student navigate there way through college and helping them achieve their goals.
Productive work environment
Technical Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 23, 2016
A typical day of work at Western Michigan University starts with a very relaxed environment. For this company I put together office furniture, which is something I have never done in the past. My management gave me many different responsibilities, without forcefully micro-managing every detail of every job. My co-workers varied from day to day. The most enjoyable part of this particular job, was having been given the opportunity and room to grow.
Great place to work!
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 23, 2016
WMU is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers were supportive and you definetly felt the team effort. Management had your back and was willing to help you advance with career and professional development. The institution offered great benefits that met with your health and family lifestyle. Healthy life choices were encouraged and fitness benefits were great. Loved working in a place where you are respected and treated well.
Wmu football
Football Video Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 21, 2016
Awesome college job, many many sports related perks. Loved the players and coaches and folks I worked with, except management left something to be desired, otherwise very very good college job.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 20, 2016
• Gained knowledge over Face tracking and Face Detection.
• Developed an algorithm based on viola jones model and solved problems.
• Assisted professor in creating new models and detailed
Great school and place to work
Finance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 10, 2016
I worked as a tutor and it was nice to have a flexible work schedule around my classes. I was able to work individually with many students and help to improve their grades.
Best place to Study and full of work opportunities
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Student Recreation CenterJune 9, 2016
I love its diversity and all the opportunities to develop a professional careers starting working within campus. The SRC is the best way to meet new people and develop relationships with everyone at the University, etc.
Pros
a lots of opportunities
Cons
we can't work more than 25 hours.
Great place to build professional work ethic!
Study Abroad Outreach Designer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 6, 2016
Greatly enjoyed working with my coworkers and boss! They provided a supportive environment which helped optimize everyone's work performance! I really enjoy jobs that let me exercise my creativity so this was a good fit for me!
Huge Time Commitment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2016
This job requires a lot of time and visible presence. You are required to go to ongoing training and meetings. You have to be on duty on so many weekends and nights throughout the semester. You must work a desk shift. You have to check in on residents about almost every life aspect.
Pros
Dorm Room and Meal Plan is free
Cons
No real free time, no stipend or paper money/checks are paid to you

4.4