Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Productive and valuable
Supplemental Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 19, 2017
I enjoyed working for the University, it was a very good experience. I learned many valuable skills. These skills learned here can be applied to many different work settings and conditions.
Great supportive work environment
Faculty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 14, 2017
Great supportive work environment. Great research institution. Students are great, supportive co-workers. Like any job, you have to strive for work life balance.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work life balance
good place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 10, 2017
Western Michigan University is a good place to work and study.It is a place where successful people want to work. It is a fast paced, but fun environment with many good people at all levels of the university. The university is experiencing healthy growth, and is expected continue enjoying growth into the foreseeable future. The most enjoyable part of the job is using my knowledge and skills in working with the engineers and increasing my knowledge in this field.
Professional and rewarding workplace
Thesis Student (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 6, 2017
Working here is very professional and ordered. Working with the kids and watching them progress is very rewarding. It is a great place to work with children with disabilities.
A steady job but impossible to move up
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 6, 2017
Pros: Steady employment and paycheck, good boss, don't have to bring work home or work overtime, WMU tuition waived, benefits.

Cons: Very poorly paid, impossible to move up, bureaucracy is a nightmare, sexist environment, little done about harassment and other inappropriate behaviors.
Graduate assistant work
GRADUATE/RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 5, 2017
A typical of day of work varied depending on the research or teaching assignment. I learned to work with different departments within the university. I learned to work with diverse groups of people.
Pros
Library and parking privileges
Cons
Only being able to obtain a limited number of G.A.s
Good University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 4, 2017
It has been quite a while since I worked at WMU while pursuing an advanced degree. I do remember there was a good work life balance though the school was the main attraction for the town it was situated in.
Great place to work at, along with an excellent staff
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2017
A workday consisted of running the main cafeteria at the university doing various things such as working the dish-room, changing soft drink dispensers, serving food, etc. The staff was amazing and so were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the extended time after your shift used to close the cafeteria. Interaction between many people may have been the best part of the job.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Pay rate
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 2, 2017
The teacher was a great person for whom to work. I was able to work around my classes. I learned a great deal and was an asset to the teacher and his students for three years.
Worked here while I was a student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 2, 2017
Great place to work for with amazing work life balance. A typical non-profit and university work environment unlike the corporate. Great work life balance.
Formación constante sobre el desempeño docente
Profesora de español como lengua extranjera (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI, EEUUJuly 2, 2017
El aprendizaje continuado sobre el desempeño docente ya fuera a través de la evaluación de los coordinadores o el trabajo conjunto de los profesores de nivel.
I loved this Job
Alumni Engagement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 30, 2017
I gained the opportunity to work in a professional environment while being a student which prepared me for after graduation. I was groomed professionally here.
Easy
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 26, 2017
Working as a front desk worker for WMU was not hard at all. The job did require a lot. As long as you paid attention to those that were coming in the building the job was not difficult.
Social Work Office
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 19, 2017
I loved working with the ladies in the social work department it made me want to take it up as a minor because of all the things they did. I was inspired daily and was always willing to work
Pros
Understanding Management
Cons
Short Hours
Academic Environment increasingly stressful
Master Faculty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 19, 2017
Workload expectations have increased dramatically over employment period and work/life balance has become increasingly lopsided toward work.

Working with clients and students is very rewarding, but demands for service to department, college, university, community and profession are required by not included in workload calculations.
Pros
Unrealistic demands without sufficient resources or compensation
Cons
Union negotiated contract has helped to maintain good benefit package
Great Place to Work!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is that every day is different and being able to serve by providing great service to our student and faculty and staff.
Excellent side job
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 16, 2017
This job was very convenient for a student who didn't have a lot of time. As a workstudy position, it was easy to fit my work schedule in between classes.
College Athletics/NCAA
ASSISTANT WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS COACH (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 8, 2017
A typical day include training elite athletes and recruiting athletes for the future.
I learned about the executive side of sports.
The culture at Western Michigan University's Athletic Department was energetic team oriented.
The hardest part of the job was having to decide who to cut from the team in the preseason.
The best part of the job was sending a well prepared team into competition.
Pros
Recruiting, developing elite athletes, the great relationships and competition
Cons
Losing
alot of fun friendly people
Customer/Student Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 5, 2017
a typical day at work is full of laughs. ready to explore the job and meet the new people who come in and out. its a beautiful thing when you can be the reason a person smile and make their by simply talkisng to them thats the part i enjoyed most
Fun to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2017
off all the places I worked, Western is a good place to work here the working hours are flexible. I learned how to mange tough situations and be calm during these pressure time.