Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Student Lead
Student Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2017
It wasn't a bad job as a student attending the school. As a full time employee now looking back though, upward movement was severely restricted to those colleagues of mine that were not student workers.
My Research work
Head of Aquaponics Research (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2017
This job was all upon my shoulders to create my research and data collect on my own work. I would report back to my boss and they would work with me learn to analyze my data and get it into writing. The best thing about this job was also the worst depending how it was looked at, but the freedom to work on our own and creating and using my own research, which created the best real world experience.
Pros
real research
Cons
working alone at times
worker
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 6, 2017
It was very relaxing and fun.Learned how to be more social and met new people.Work was energy and we got to do homework too.
Pros
homework
Cons
Prepping food, there's always something that needs to be done
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 2, 2017
A typical day at work is preparing food in the cafeteria for the students to eat when it's time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner; each one is different. I learned many things but most of all how to work in a fast pace food industry. The hardest part of the job is remembering the order in which the food is to be placed in. The most enjoyable part was working with older people, everyone worries about themselves but always open to offer help when needed.
Pros
Free lunches
great place to do research in technical field.
student manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 25, 2017
a great place to learn something new through out all the semesters by proper technical approach in each subject, entire management were so good all the time responding immediately for all the problems, great place to work fun atmosphere all time.
Classroom presenter for Burgos, Spain study abroad
Classroom presenter/Study Abroad (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 23, 2017
Fun to talk to students and answer questions as well as ask them things relating to studying in other countries. I was there to motivate and inform different classes, the culture was friendly and interested in what I had to say. Hardest part of the job was when I felt like I was trying to sell something or a particular experience, though this year the Spanish Department reported highest number of applications on record for the Burgos, Spain study abroad program.
Pros
interfacing with students and providing aid to concerns, talking about my experiences
Great place
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Meet new people, work at one of the best places in Michigan. Give a great care to you as aperson, which is hard to find in an educational system. Overall 9.9/10
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 15, 2017
Good place to work if you want to be in Union. Show up on time and do what you're told and you will advance. Maintain a designated area on a daily basis and provide any special services requested by management.
Fun & Really Enjoyable Job
Game Day Operations Internship (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 10, 2017
I was going to school while working this position and it was perfect. My time management was great. They let me work around my school classes. I had a lot of fun meeting new friends and learning all about alumni relations and development. It is a great job to work while attending Western Michigan University.
Pros
Works well with school schedule
Perfectly acceptable for students
Department of Psychology Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 21, 2016
Student workers will be pleased with Western Michigan University, with their ability to quickly place students with jobs on campus, for minimum wage, and easy job skills.
Pros
On campus, good for students
Cons
Average pay, difficult hours
Student worker job, its not full time
Athlete Facilities (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 14, 2016
I set up tables and chairs. I have to work all football game. Some games last all day. I don't like student worker jobs. The management isn't the best.
Pros
Cons
no lunch breaks, no holiday pay, no overtime
friendly people
Teaching & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 11, 2016
The faculty are very knowledgeable and also teach very well and have an open door policy which makes communications easy between students and faculty. We have a friendly staff and occasional lunches and get together help build a very cordial and conductive work environment
Doctoral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 1, 2016
This is a nice place. People are friendly. I got some good opportunities and learned a lot of things from this place. The management is very good. The campus is beautiful.
More field work and interesting colleagues
Teaching Assistant for Geospatial Technology (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 19, 2016
Enjoy field work so much. Looking for a job that allows me to use my Geographic Information Science(GIS) and or Land surveying skills. No problem with traveling as well.
Pros
Free lunch won't be bad
Cons
Healthcare
Many opportunities
Associate Professor, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 6, 2016
A place to learn, grow and have many opportunities to be all that you can be. I highly recommend this university for students and faculty. The best part of the job was creating new programs.
Great management and constructive criticism
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 4, 2016
Western Michigan University is a wonderful place of employment for enrolled students. Working in the residence hall provides experience with different ages and cultures all in one environment. The customer service aspect of the Residence Life department is a great way to gain experience with managing many different types of situations and answering a wide range of questions.
Pros
On campus, work with peers
Cons
Lots of sitting, and some difficult situatioins
One of the best experiences I've ever had.
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 1, 2016
I got to work with 34 plus people over the course of three months. I got to spend time learning how to work with one another even though we may have had different styles, it also allowed me to get outside of my comfort zone and learn new skills.
Working at Western Michigan University.
Maintenance Roofer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 26, 2016
I looked forward to going to work at Western. The job was interesting and challenging and productive. If I needed help for a project there was always some one ready to help. Of course I was ready to help other workers. It was good to have the give and take.
A positive environment was great.
The hardest part of the job was the winter weather, but even that was doable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working out side.
Management was always helpful.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
Cold weather
Western Michigan University
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 12, 2016
Western Michigan University student instructor: Requires setting and meeting deadlines while enforcing policies and keeping records. Listening attentively, help provide support for others in a friendly, comforting and professional way. Encouraged and provided clear and appropriate feedback to students and staff members. Instructing has enhanced my willingness to take risk, enhanced my communication skill and innovation skills.
Nice place to work if busy student
Customer Service Specialist, SRC (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 25, 2016
-Few Hours
-Great management
-Great Culture
-Promotions every semester
-Simple work
-Right on campus
-Management tries to get close to employees
-Set up events for staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4