Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Huge Time Commitment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2016
This job requires a lot of time and visible presence. You are required to go to ongoing training and meetings. You have to be on duty on so many weekends and nights throughout the semester. You must work a desk shift. You have to check in on residents about almost every life aspect.
Pros
Dorm Room and Meal Plan is free
Cons
No real free time, no stipend or paper money/checks are paid to you
Good for on Campus job
Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2016
A typical day is what shift/duty you were scheduled for at the beginning of the year.
I learned great customer service skills just by interacting with the students and staff that came into the cafe and ordered food.
Nice experience working with police departemnt
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would be monitoring campus by feet by checking buildings and etc. Learned police codes, Hardest part of the job was working till 2:00 am. Most enjoyable part was working game days and monitoring tailgates.
Pros
Just have to monitor campus
Cons
Standing up for hours in different weather till about 1:00 am
what a typical day at works look like, customer service and co workers
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2016
My opinion on my typical day at work was that it was easy to get used to the routine. Whenever we had a rush load of people it was stressful but manageable and I did not have a hard time checking people in during those times at all. I got along well with my co workers and even improved my customer service skills. The main lesson I learned at work was to think before acting. During my time at this job I dealt with a very aggressive racist situation and I had to learn to think and not act and not let people ignorance control my temper. Overall that really helped my work ethic skills and I am much better worker now and much more prepared for high intense situations such as that one.
Pros
Flexible scheduale, good manager, co workers, lunch breaks.
Productive workplace and management
Campus Frond Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2016
WMU was a good way for me to communicate with students as well as managers. I was able to balance school and jobs through the university because of the flexibility. The management was very helpful and eager to see students succeed.
college
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2016
Good university and makes every student to gain the practical knowledge. Professors are helpful in making the students to understand the cocepts.
Great College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2016
Working as a resident assistant is a great experience for college students. You develop strong interpersonal skills, management skills, and can explore your creative side. Living with students who can be similar in age poses a challenge when trying to fulfill job duties, because many times these students see you as a peer. Overall it is a great experience that helped me grow in many aspects of my life.
Wmu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2016
Overall the support staff was nice to talk to. The instructors I worked under where understanding, supportive, and strict. Which all helped me become a better instructor. I would highly recommend others to teach as a graduate assistant here.
Pros
Classes paid for, plus a check.
Cons
over worked
A fun and well-paced environment
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 26, 2016
I felt welcome at Western. The staff and managment understood my concerns and worked with me to solve them. Pay was always on-time .
Productive and Fun at times
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2016
The company deals with the environmental issues that cause by many industries. My role at work is to make data in an excel sheet.
I enjoy working here as my co-workers are fun to be around with.
Great environment to be outside and learn
student worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Normally as a student worker we would help pick up trash in the morning then depending on the season we would either go and mow grass, mulch of tree leaves in the fall and in winter would go and salt entrances and shovel entrances. I learned how to accomplish tasks on a timely manner, work in groups and work well individually. My co-workers are really nice people and help give advice if need be. The hardest part of my job is when other workers take an equipment and then i can not do my job till hopefully the next day. On the other hand a great part of my job is being able to work outside and be able to work a full day and finish work at 2:30 pm in the afternoon.
Pros
Being outside, finishing work afternoon
Cons
Short breaks
It was a very good position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 18, 2016
1. Flexible all days.
2. Academic and implementation the project design
3. It needs a management experience.
4. I was working individual.
5. Hardest part is to verify your system requirements.
6. Most Enjoyable part is when you find the best design and look at the system how fit is your output and correct.
Wonderful place
Landscaping Crew (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 30, 2015
Really enjoyed this job. Very nice people very flexible. Nothing but good things to say about this organization. Everyday was a new challenge so the job was never stagnate.
Great internship
Day Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2015
I loved experiencing working with the disabled population. I learned so much about myself and how to deal with a vulnerable population. It was such a rewarding experience.
As my first graduate school experience I was thrilled: the professors were intelligent and engaging, and I was only too happy to learn from them.
Master's Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 22, 2015
WMU was a very good introduction to writing and scholarship at the graduate level, and I enjoyed my two years of study there, with courses like Literary Theory, Women's Literature, and Poetics.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Small graduate student stipends. And "tuition remission, " meaning after stipends were dispensed the cost of tuition was taken back from stipend.
Great university
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 13, 2015
Great university, not the best pay but it is nice to have your degree paid for. Would recommend university raise TA pay so that is competitive with other universities.
Coworkers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 19, 2015
I work with a very diverse, educated group of faculty and I love their enthusiasm and dedication to patient care and healthcare education. I have an excellent supervisor who is a co-worker and treats me as an equal. I have learned to be patient and encouraging to my students.
Pros
Education focused
Cons
Part time
Relaxed environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 6, 2015
Love working with people, helping out when possible. Finding creative solutions to problems, must be flexible. The pace is either fast or slow so must be able to adapt quickly and know how to fill in empty gaps of time.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, supportive supervisor.
Cons
No benefits as my position is temporary full time.
Perfect while I was a student
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2015
I was responsible for setting up large lab activities. This meant arriving early to prepare materials and open labs for the students. I was responsible for teaching complex geologic concepts to non-science majors. I also graded and managed all of the students work.

This job taught me a lot about patience and what it takes to teach. I loved all of my co-workers, and enjoyed learning from all of them as well. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with student complaints and questions. It often felt like I answered the same question over and over to the same group of people. Being able to constructively work with students was a great way to gain patience.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Core Kids program. I really enjoyed teaching younger students about geologic concepts. They were all so passionate and helped to remind me why I love geosciences so much.
Pros
office on campus, discounted tuition
Cons
low pay
Wonderful Place to Work
Consumer Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
The culture at WMU is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful professors and staff. Western is a great place to be, and the community is very supportive of the university. I would highly recommend WMU to anyone.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Difficult to be hired full-time

4.4