Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive workplace and management
Campus Frond Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2016
WMU was a good way for me to communicate with students as well as managers. I was able to balance school and jobs through the university because of the flexibility. The management was very helpful and eager to see students succeed.
college
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2016
Good university and makes every student to gain the practical knowledge. Professors are helpful in making the students to understand the cocepts.
Great College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2016
Working as a resident assistant is a great experience for college students. You develop strong interpersonal skills, management skills, and can explore your creative side. Living with students who can be similar in age poses a challenge when trying to fulfill job duties, because many times these students see you as a peer. Overall it is a great experience that helped me grow in many aspects of my life.
Wmu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2016
Overall the support staff was nice to talk to. The instructors I worked under where understanding, supportive, and strict. Which all helped me become a better instructor. I would highly recommend others to teach as a graduate assistant here.
Pros
Classes paid for, plus a check.
Cons
over worked
A fun and well-paced environment
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 26, 2016
I felt welcome at Western. The staff and managment understood my concerns and worked with me to solve them. Pay was always on-time .
Productive and Fun at times
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2016
The company deals with the environmental issues that cause by many industries. My role at work is to make data in an excel sheet.
I enjoy working here as my co-workers are fun to be around with.
Great environment to be outside and learn
student worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Normally as a student worker we would help pick up trash in the morning then depending on the season we would either go and mow grass, mulch of tree leaves in the fall and in winter would go and salt entrances and shovel entrances. I learned how to accomplish tasks on a timely manner, work in groups and work well individually. My co-workers are really nice people and help give advice if need be. The hardest part of my job is when other workers take an equipment and then i can not do my job till hopefully the next day. On the other hand a great part of my job is being able to work outside and be able to work a full day and finish work at 2:30 pm in the afternoon.
Pros
Being outside, finishing work afternoon
Cons
Short breaks
It was a very good position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 18, 2016
1. Flexible all days.
2. Academic and implementation the project design
3. It needs a management experience.
4. I was working individual.
5. Hardest part is to verify your system requirements.
6. Most Enjoyable part is when you find the best design and look at the system how fit is your output and correct.
Wonderful place
Landscaping Crew (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 30, 2015
Really enjoyed this job. Very nice people very flexible. Nothing but good things to say about this organization. Everyday was a new challenge so the job was never stagnate.
Great internship
Day Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2015
I loved experiencing working with the disabled population. I learned so much about myself and how to deal with a vulnerable population. It was such a rewarding experience.
As my first graduate school experience I was thrilled: the professors were intelligent and engaging, and I was only too happy to learn from them.
Master's Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 22, 2015
WMU was a very good introduction to writing and scholarship at the graduate level, and I enjoyed my two years of study there, with courses like Literary Theory, Women's Literature, and Poetics.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Small graduate student stipends. And "tuition remission, " meaning after stipends were dispensed the cost of tuition was taken back from stipend.
Great university
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 13, 2015
Great university, not the best pay but it is nice to have your degree paid for. Would recommend university raise TA pay so that is competitive with other universities.
Coworkers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 19, 2015
I work with a very diverse, educated group of faculty and I love their enthusiasm and dedication to patient care and healthcare education. I have an excellent supervisor who is a co-worker and treats me as an equal. I have learned to be patient and encouraging to my students.
Pros
Education focused
Cons
Part time
Relaxed environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 6, 2015
Love working with people, helping out when possible. Finding creative solutions to problems, must be flexible. The pace is either fast or slow so must be able to adapt quickly and know how to fill in empty gaps of time.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, supportive supervisor.
Cons
No benefits as my position is temporary full time.
Perfect while I was a student
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2015
I was responsible for setting up large lab activities. This meant arriving early to prepare materials and open labs for the students. I was responsible for teaching complex geologic concepts to non-science majors. I also graded and managed all of the students work.

This job taught me a lot about patience and what it takes to teach. I loved all of my co-workers, and enjoyed learning from all of them as well. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with student complaints and questions. It often felt like I answered the same question over and over to the same group of people. Being able to constructively work with students was a great way to gain patience.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Core Kids program. I really enjoyed teaching younger students about geologic concepts. They were all so passionate and helped to remind me why I love geosciences so much.
Pros
office on campus, discounted tuition
Cons
low pay
Wonderful Place to Work
Consumer Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
The culture at WMU is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful professors and staff. Western is a great place to be, and the community is very supportive of the university. I would highly recommend WMU to anyone.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Difficult to be hired full-time
Intern, great learning exprience
Internship (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, MISeptember 9, 2015
While interning I was able to grow and learn much more about the mental health spectrum. I was able to help many clients with daily living activities and goals. I was also able to learn more administrative aspects of the health realm.
Productive and fun place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Office Assistant/OnStaff Temp Agency (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 5, 2015
I would get to work and turn on my computer and look at my schedule for the day. I would greet and check clients in and also make their next appointment(s). Answer busy phones and direct clients to the appropriate person or building that they needed. Entered confidential information into the computer. Also, scanned clients consent forms. Called clients the day before to remind them of their appointments. Took vital signs for our psychiatrist.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and clients. Always had something to do.
Cons
I always at by myself for lunch. They had a budget cut and had to let me go.
Great Experiences
IM Sports (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2015
The best and most fun job I ever worked was at Western. Even during the difficult times, there were always people to help out and there were always policies in place that dictated what actions to take next, so nothing ever felt out of control. Great co-workers, boss, and many opportunities to learn a lot if the opportunities are taken.
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 6, 2015
I've worked here in the summers for the last 10 years. It's a great place. My position wasn't a full time job. The faculty is great. They really care about the kids they work with.

4.4