Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Office Assistant/OnStaff Temp Agency (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 5, 2015
I would get to work and turn on my computer and look at my schedule for the day. I would greet and check clients in and also make their next appointment(s). Answer busy phones and direct clients to the appropriate person or building that they needed. Entered confidential information into the computer. Also, scanned clients consent forms. Called clients the day before to remind them of their appointments. Took vital signs for our psychiatrist.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and clients. Always had something to do.
Cons
I always at by myself for lunch. They had a budget cut and had to let me go.
Great Experiences
IM Sports (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2015
The best and most fun job I ever worked was at Western. Even during the difficult times, there were always people to help out and there were always policies in place that dictated what actions to take next, so nothing ever felt out of control. Great co-workers, boss, and many opportunities to learn a lot if the opportunities are taken.
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 6, 2015
I've worked here in the summers for the last 10 years. It's a great place. My position wasn't a full time job. The faculty is great. They really care about the kids they work with.
Resident Life
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 3, 2015
Great job as an RA. Had to opportunity to have an impact on incoming students, help making them successful for their college career. Having a lot of different personalities to deal with at once was one of the best experiences on my life.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
On call a lot
productive college life
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 17, 2015
Working with and serving college student. Constantly on your feet, productive college atmosphere, Hectic and busy environment. Great benefits
Teacher/Research Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 15, 2015
Teach Health and Wellness courses as well as Activity courses for the Human Performance and Health Education department at WMU.
Great Reslife Department
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 1, 2015
I worked as a Resident Assistant for 2 years at WMU. The compensation was great! The college had added free WiFi for the whole school year when I started on top of free room and board. It was really great.

Sometimes it was really hard to balance working, social and academic lives. When you had to be on duty for the crazy weekends it was hard to find time to get things done for class. I learned after my first year to try and get things done ASAP if I was scheduled to work one of those weekends.

The management and support I received from WMU was great. The staff was really helpful and supportive to help make us successful to then in turn have happy and healthy residents. There was also a great network between the Resident Assistants, the Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants and the Office of Residence Life to help all of us find work or further studies after undergrad. We all helped each other out. It was really great.

As for advancement there really was not a plan for that unless you became a Graduate Assistant but really that is a whole other job. As you gained experience as a Resident Assistant people looked to you for advise and guidance, but there was no formal outline for job advancement.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Room, Free WiFi, Great group of friends and supporters
Cons
Balance between work, social life and academic life
Cafeteria Work Review
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 19, 2015
Depending on the time of day the work would either be very busy or very calm. Overall it was a very enjoyable job with pleasant co-workers and management that kept things running smoothly.
Pros
Free food before/after shifts
Cons
Limited to 20 hours of work a week
great
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  kalamazooMay 9, 2015
fun job fun people worked late worked alone sometimes got tired can do homework on desk job seasonal job over all the job is great for college students
Flexible School Time Work
Architectural Archivist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 9, 2015
With the ability to make our own schedules, the facilities management within western michigan was an excellent place to juggle both work and school. The work itself was quite monotonous, but very interesting as you had access to all the building layouts of every structure to ever have graced the campus. Management was laid back, co-workers were friendly, building was a bit creepy, but overall it was a perfect place to work while attending the college
Excellent place to study and employ
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Physics DepartmentMay 8, 2015
What I learned from WMU:

1.Teaching , grading and proctoring with nice staff and faculty
2.Communication with different people with different countries
3. Excellent faculty and staff help for research , teaching and Graduate studies
4. Worked with friendly and helpful group members
5. Hardest part of the job is to manage work on time, but we did it with better organizing
6. Work with undergraduates and participate for different activities with them are the most enjoyable part when working in this place
Fast paced, friendly helpful staff
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2015
Whenever there was a time that I needed assistance, there was always a staff member or management there to give guidance. The most enjoyable part of working here was meeting new people, learning to work in different areas of the kitchen to move around.
Educational and rewarding experience working with students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 19, 2015
A typical day at work included setting up the classroom for the professor and starting up programs on the computer. I administered quizzes organized group projects. After class, I returned to my office where I graded all assignments and met with students as well as the professor to discuss any questions or problems in the class. The TA position is an apprenticeship where I gained the knowledge and skills on how to conduct a college-level classroom and maintain student-professor relations. The hardest part of the job was addressing student plagiarism. It was hard to see a student knowingly copying literature and using it as their own work. However, it provided experience with dealing with a difficult situation and that was rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing students suceed and gain new knowledge.
Pros
free parking, office
Cons
the pay
Diverse Workplace with Joyful People
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 11, 2015
There isn't a typical work day in the Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University. I assist students, staff, and faculty with various tasks, as well as answering questions. No two days are alike.
I've learned many things through this job. I've expanded on my interpersonal skills, as well as my clerical skills.
My coworker are great people. They're caring individuals who keep the work place a lively and fun environment.
There isn't a part of the job that I find difficult.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the gratification I receive from helping people. Even though I'm helping individuals with simple tasks, it bring me joy to simply be able to help someone.
Pros
diverse, work environment, co-workers
Amazing location for growth and fun.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Engagement with prospective students and promotions through team efforts that exemplify what makes Western Michigan University.
Pros
free lunch
good
Research associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Very nice, I enjoyed research at Western Michigan University. I was involved in a project that has long aim to find the link between photosynthesis and amino acids metabolism,
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2015
I process vouchers, answer the phone and questions, I hand out checks to individuals and I have learned patience with individuals and to ask questions to make sure I am giving them the correct help. At times the hardest part is understanding what a person is needing. We deal with many international students and they do know know our slang and word things different. The most enjoyable part is how understanding and flexible they are.
Pros
i deal with a variety of diverse people
Cons
i'm not able to work more than 25 hours a week, i'm a student worker
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
- Come to school 30 mins early
- Prepare class room (powerpoint, excel, assignment prep etc.)
- Take attendance
- perform powerpoint or material, etc.
- Dismiss students after assignment assigned
- After class grade worksheets
- Lunch, wait for next class period
Pros
non demanding/laid back work environment
Cons
pay is too low
Amazing New Experience
Temporary Beginner Processor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
This was a "typical" work day, with some overtime occasionally. I've enjoyed the overall job and having a scheduled work week. It was a temporary assignment to assist with the university's busy time of enrollment.
Fun Workplace
Lead Receptionists/ Payroll (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2015
Positive work environment
work/life balance
cares about employees
friendly co workers
room to grow with the company
Employee Appreciation Days