Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

college
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2016
Good university and makes every student to gain the practical knowledge. Professors are helpful in making the students to understand the cocepts.
As my first graduate school experience I was thrilled: the professors were intelligent and engaging, and I was only too happy to learn from them.
Master's Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 22, 2015
WMU was a very good introduction to writing and scholarship at the graduate level, and I enjoyed my two years of study there, with courses like Literary Theory, Women's Literature, and Poetics.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Small graduate student stipends. And "tuition remission, " meaning after stipends were dispensed the cost of tuition was taken back from stipend.
Required for Indeed
Bronco Express Telephone Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 3, 2014
A typical day - a busy call volume, calls come into a call que. I mostly provide instruction to students to navigate their account or the WMU website or provide timelines for paperwork processing. Wish position involved more hands-on information processing, trouble shooting and the ability to resolve problems/provide solutions. Best part of job is providing quality customer service and making the customer happy.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, health benefits
Cons
wages, compensation, management
Productive and Fun at times
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2016
The company deals with the environmental issues that cause by many industries. My role at work is to make data in an excel sheet.
I enjoy working here as my co-workers are fun to be around with.
A fun and well-paced environment
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 26, 2016
I felt welcome at Western. The staff and managment understood my concerns and worked with me to solve them. Pay was always on-time .
Perfect while I was a student
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2015
I was responsible for setting up large lab activities. This meant arriving early to prepare materials and open labs for the students. I was responsible for teaching complex geologic concepts to non-science majors. I also graded and managed all of the students work.

This job taught me a lot about patience and what it takes to teach. I loved all of my co-workers, and enjoyed learning from all of them as well. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with student complaints and questions. It often felt like I answered the same question over and over to the same group of people. Being able to constructively work with students was a great way to gain patience.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the Core Kids program. I really enjoyed teaching younger students about geologic concepts. They were all so passionate and helped to remind me why I love geosciences so much.
Pros
office on campus, discounted tuition
Cons
low pay
University with exceptional opportunities for students to contribute productively
Systems Analyst, Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 19, 2012
Multiple opportunities in IT sector, network administration, engaging with government agencies to do statistical analysis, exceptional computer R&D programs in chip design
Pros
work life balance, educational and advancement opportunities
Cons
university with limited comp and benefits
Productive and fun place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Office Assistant/OnStaff Temp Agency (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 5, 2015
I would get to work and turn on my computer and look at my schedule for the day. I would greet and check clients in and also make their next appointment(s). Answer busy phones and direct clients to the appropriate person or building that they needed. Entered confidential information into the computer. Also, scanned clients consent forms. Called clients the day before to remind them of their appointments. Took vital signs for our psychiatrist.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and clients. Always had something to do.
Cons
I always at by myself for lunch. They had a budget cut and had to let me go.
Wonderful place
Landscaping Crew (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 30, 2015
Really enjoyed this job. Very nice people very flexible. Nothing but good things to say about this organization. Everyday was a new challenge so the job was never stagnate.
Working Educational Experience
Kitchen Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 1, 2014
The atmosphere at Western Michigan University provided an excellent opportunity to understand the business operations conducted on a larger scale. It allowed me to understand economies of scale dealing with a large customer base. It provided valuable learning experiences that are transferable to various industries.
Pros
development opportunities
Cons
compensation
Great internship
Day Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2015
I loved experiencing working with the disabled population. I learned so much about myself and how to deal with a vulnerable population. It was such a rewarding experience.
Coworkers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 19, 2015
I work with a very diverse, educated group of faculty and I love their enthusiasm and dedication to patient care and healthcare education. I have an excellent supervisor who is a co-worker and treats me as an equal. I have learned to be patient and encouraging to my students.
Pros
Education focused
Cons
Part time
Wonderful Place to Work
Consumer Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
The culture at WMU is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful professors and staff. Western is a great place to be, and the community is very supportive of the university. I would highly recommend WMU to anyone.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Difficult to be hired full-time
Resident Life
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 3, 2015
Great job as an RA. Had to opportunity to have an impact on incoming students, help making them successful for their college career. Having a lot of different personalities to deal with at once was one of the best experiences on my life.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
On call a lot
Great Experiences
IM Sports (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2015
The best and most fun job I ever worked was at Western. Even during the difficult times, there were always people to help out and there were always policies in place that dictated what actions to take next, so nothing ever felt out of control. Great co-workers, boss, and many opportunities to learn a lot if the opportunities are taken.
Intern, great learning exprience
Internship (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, MISeptember 9, 2015
While interning I was able to grow and learn much more about the mental health spectrum. I was able to help many clients with daily living activities and goals. I was also able to learn more administrative aspects of the health realm.
Flexible School Time Work
Architectural Archivist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 9, 2015
With the ability to make our own schedules, the facilities management within western michigan was an excellent place to juggle both work and school. The work itself was quite monotonous, but very interesting as you had access to all the building layouts of every structure to ever have graced the campus. Management was laid back, co-workers were friendly, building was a bit creepy, but overall it was a perfect place to work while attending the college
its good
Lead Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2012
Only good if you are research oriented. The opportunities at the university are great but dont pay as much.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
low compensation
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 2, 2014
I was a graduate assistant. I was treated well and got good pay and benefits for the type of work I did.
Records Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2013
WMU is a wonderful organization to work for. Great benefits, good people and great students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4