Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Many opportunities
Associate Professor, Nursing (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 6, 2016
A place to learn, grow and have many opportunities to be all that you can be. I highly recommend this university for students and faculty. The best part of the job was creating new programs.
worker
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 6, 2017
It was very relaxing and fun.Learned how to be more social and met new people.Work was energy and we got to do homework too.
Pros
homework
Very good place to work
Research Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  OVPRAugust 16, 2016
Very supportive management. Co-workers excellent. Allowed independant work and thinking while having a supportive environment in which to succeed.
Great university
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 13, 2015
Great university, not the best pay but it is nice to have your degree paid for. Would recommend university raise TA pay so that is competitive with other universities.
Everyday life
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 27, 2016
Work with student helping them achieve goals and etc.
Things learned while working were multitasking, working within a group setting, and computer skills. hardest part of the job was working with students who were uncooperative. The most enkoyable part of my job was helping student navigate there way through college and helping them achieve their goals.
Best place to Study and full of work opportunities
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Student Recreation CenterJune 9, 2016
I love its diversity and all the opportunities to develop a professional careers starting working within campus. The SRC is the best way to meet new people and develop relationships with everyone at the University, etc.
Pros
a lots of opportunities
Cons
we can't work more than 25 hours.
what a typical day at works look like, customer service and co workers
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2016
My opinion on my typical day at work was that it was easy to get used to the routine. Whenever we had a rush load of people it was stressful but manageable and I did not have a hard time checking people in during those times at all. I got along well with my co workers and even improved my customer service skills. The main lesson I learned at work was to think before acting. During my time at this job I dealt with a very aggressive racist situation and I had to learn to think and not act and not let people ignorance control my temper. Overall that really helped my work ethic skills and I am much better worker now and much more prepared for high intense situations such as that one.
Pros
Flexible scheduale, good manager, co workers, lunch breaks.
Relaxed environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 6, 2015
Love working with people, helping out when possible. Finding creative solutions to problems, must be flexible. The pace is either fast or slow so must be able to adapt quickly and know how to fill in empty gaps of time.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, supportive supervisor.
Cons
No benefits as my position is temporary full time.
The place where I learned the most
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MIAugust 25, 2016
Professors, students, staff and every one are supportive. I learned how to conduct research, write, and contribute to my field. mainly, I enjoyed field trips when we inspected bridges.
Required for Indeed
Bronco Express Telephone Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 3, 2014
A typical day - a busy call volume, calls come into a call que. I mostly provide instruction to students to navigate their account or the WMU website or provide timelines for paperwork processing. Wish position involved more hands-on information processing, trouble shooting and the ability to resolve problems/provide solutions. Best part of job is providing quality customer service and making the customer happy.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, health benefits
Cons
wages, compensation, management
Wmu football
Football Video Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 21, 2016
Awesome college job, many many sports related perks. Loved the players and coaches and folks I worked with, except management left something to be desired, otherwise very very good college job.
Great Reslife Department
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 1, 2015
I worked as a Resident Assistant for 2 years at WMU. The compensation was great! The college had added free WiFi for the whole school year when I started on top of free room and board. It was really great.

Sometimes it was really hard to balance working, social and academic lives. When you had to be on duty for the crazy weekends it was hard to find time to get things done for class. I learned after my first year to try and get things done ASAP if I was scheduled to work one of those weekends.

The management and support I received from WMU was great. The staff was really helpful and supportive to help make us successful to then in turn have happy and healthy residents. There was also a great network between the Resident Assistants, the Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants and the Office of Residence Life to help all of us find work or further studies after undergrad. We all helped each other out. It was really great.

As for advancement there really was not a plan for that unless you became a Graduate Assistant but really that is a whole other job. As you gained experience as a Resident Assistant people looked to you for advise and guidance, but there was no formal outline for job advancement.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Room, Free WiFi, Great group of friends and supporters
Cons
Balance between work, social life and academic life
Huge Time Commitment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 21, 2016
This job requires a lot of time and visible presence. You are required to go to ongoing training and meetings. You have to be on duty on so many weekends and nights throughout the semester. You must work a desk shift. You have to check in on residents about almost every life aspect.
Pros
Dorm Room and Meal Plan is free
Cons
No real free time, no stipend or paper money/checks are paid to you
University with exceptional opportunities for students to contribute productively
Systems Analyst, Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 19, 2012
Multiple opportunities in IT sector, network administration, engaging with government agencies to do statistical analysis, exceptional computer R&D programs in chip design
Pros
work life balance, educational and advancement opportunities
Cons
university with limited comp and benefits
Great place to build professional work ethic!
Study Abroad Outreach Designer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 6, 2016
Greatly enjoyed working with my coworkers and boss! They provided a supportive environment which helped optimize everyone's work performance! I really enjoy jobs that let me exercise my creativity so this was a good fit for me!
Productive workplace and management
Campus Frond Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2016
WMU was a good way for me to communicate with students as well as managers. I was able to balance school and jobs through the university because of the flexibility. The management was very helpful and eager to see students succeed.
Working Educational Experience
Kitchen Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 1, 2014
The atmosphere at Western Michigan University provided an excellent opportunity to understand the business operations conducted on a larger scale. It allowed me to understand economies of scale dealing with a large customer base. It provided valuable learning experiences that are transferable to various industries.
Pros
Development Opportunities
Cons
Compensation
Great College Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2016
Working as a resident assistant is a great experience for college students. You develop strong interpersonal skills, management skills, and can explore your creative side. Living with students who can be similar in age poses a challenge when trying to fulfill job duties, because many times these students see you as a peer. Overall it is a great experience that helped me grow in many aspects of my life.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 20, 2016
• Gained knowledge over Face tracking and Face Detection.
• Developed an algorithm based on viola jones model and solved problems.
• Assisted professor in creating new models and detailed
Nice experience working with police departemnt
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work would be monitoring campus by feet by checking buildings and etc. Learned police codes, Hardest part of the job was working till 2:00 am. Most enjoyable part was working game days and monitoring tailgates.
Pros
Just have to monitor campus
Cons
Standing up for hours in different weather till about 1:00 am

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4