Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Working as a student
Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2017
Typical day was very secretarial. Answer phones, take messages, update databases. Workplace was extremely relaxed and easy going. There really wasn't a drawback except that this job for me was a temporary job, done while I was a student.
Pros
Relaxed environment and the people
Cons
Job was underfunded
Good
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portage, MINovember 27, 2017
It is a good place to work. The benefits are good. WMU has long history of people working at there jobs for a long time. Very little turn over. I would say its a ok place to get a job at
Great!
Musicianship II/III Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dalton CenterNovember 27, 2017
I loved my time working for the Seminar Music Camp. I really enjoyed getting to know the students and the other faculty members. It is very well run and a lot of fun to be apart of.
Good place
Doctor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 24, 2017
As graduate assistant the workload is fair. This is really depends on what department you work for. Administration is sucks,,,,, once they ruin tax form, health insurance.
Great Place
OIT Front Desk Rep (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 18, 2017
WMU was a wonderful place to work. It was full of knowledgable employees who never hesitated to help a new and learning employee. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice part time job.
College
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 16, 2017
If you ever have the opportunity to be a professional student take it! Fight on fight on for western
take the ball make the score win the game ah!
Onward for the brown and gold
push em back push em back
bring us fame
Teaching, training and development with millennials is a passion.
Adjunct Professor, Family and Consumer Sciences (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 16, 2017
As an adjunct faculty member I have flexibility. I am passionate about motivating others to success and teaching Professional Job Search Strategies allows me the opportunity to assist students in their career search and their future employment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short term assignment
Fun Workplace
Pep Band Performer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 13, 2017
A fun easy work environment. You get to travel to different places for tournaments. Getting to play for different athletic teams to support your school is a great experience.
Pros
Cons
Low hours
Good Employer
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 3, 2017
Worked there as a student so only got paid at minimum wage. This was just a temporary job was not a career job since I was only a teacher assistant. Overall very nice place to work.
Good job for research experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 1, 2017
I was a research assistant, so I was not too ingrained with Western's employees, culture, benefits, etc.

I worked for a specific professor as part of a research grant. So I primarily worked on my own time from home accomplishing whatever needed to be done to further our research projects.

You don't make a lot of money, 10 hours a week. I recommend this job for anyone looking to gain some research experience and make a little money on the side.
Pros
Determine your own hours, Work with experienced researchers..
Cons
Must be willing to put a lot of effot in without getting much back, Sometimes it's hard to pick up all the hours.
Awesome job for outgoing individuals
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 4, 2017
This job was really fun. I love meeting new people and everyday on this job you meet or at least talk to someone new. The coworkers are great and so are the managers.
Amazing labs and campus
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 29, 2017
Good School - Deserves more credit than it gets, the printing facility is huge and full of cutting edge equipment, My chair was a great guy with bottomless pit go digital and tradition print skills
amazing staff
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 12, 2017
I worked in an office, where every professor that worked there made it their duty to learn my name. They had a worker appreciation week. They allowed me to do my homework while not busy.
GReat Place
Computer Lab Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 11, 2017
Good Job and good staff. The day went by quick and you come across a lot of wonderful people. the pay is good, its not stressful and you will enjoy where you work,
Good way to start career
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2017
good opportunity to work with students from various majors.

learned nice teaching strategies, handling student from different backgrounds, and how to be proactive in case of any situation.

Grading parties were so much fun.

The management was helpful, understanding, and proactive.
Pros
easy pace
Cons
treatment from department
Assistant Promotions Manager (Former Employee) –  WMUAugust 30, 2017
Started as a student fundraiser and worked my way up! Enjoyed working with all of the staff. Got to travel around the state for free. Met some life-long friends.
Pros
free lunches, good hours, new friends
Cons
Stopped working there
Love Going to School Here
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 22, 2017
Western Michigan University is is a great place to be, you learn so much and they have amazing teachers; doing research here has helped me expand my knowledge more than I had ever thought I could.
Great atmosphere, engaging students and supportive colleagues
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2017
I very much enjoy working here. The students are engaged. Department staff and colleagues are supportive. This university continues to enhance its credibility in higher education. I'm proud to be part of such a great team of educators.
College campus bookstore
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2017
The job was great for college students. Flexible hours, great environment if you went to WMU. I worked on registers, back stocking, retail, and customer service desk.
Graduate Assistant Position
Community Relations Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 17, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at WMU when working on my Masters Degree. The hours were long but worth it most days. Management was great and very accommodating. The hardest part of the job was managing time between work and school. The most enjoyable part was that there was always something to do and the days were never the same.