Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Nice Institution
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 24, 2013
Pros: you can make friends
Cons: pressure and job too demanding for the pay
Too much in-fighting for job retention. There aren't many faculty positions for minorities, so the few positions are highly contested and people stab themselves behind. The school environment is nice though and coworkers are friendly - at least on facial value. The institution, on a general note, has good vision.
College jobs
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 16, 2013
All depends on what department you work for. some departments are good and have a good work environment and some don't.
Fun work environment
Teaching & Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 13, 2013
Typical work day for a teaching assistant is varied by your class schedule. Learned more than anyone can imagine being able to teach students.
Great organization
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 31, 2013
I worked with international students from all walks of life. This job enriched my life so much.
best job ever
Lab Monitor/Front Desk Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I loved this job. It is a very laid back environment. You get to work with great people
An excellent college for my Exercise Science major.
Sports Coach (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, building relationships with peers
Cons: long commute, no pay
The hardest part of the job was the many hours spent on homework

The most enjoyable part of the job was the vast knowledge and experiences I obtained.
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 21, 2013
 Lifeguard at Kik Pool in Upjohn Park
 Always being physical able to perform any task at hand
 CPR and Basic health saving rescue
 Training in groups and team activities skills
Fun place to work
Gold Person Ambassador (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 19, 2013
The people here made working fun and entertaining. I talked with people and gave them directions.
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
Pros: friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons: small workspace.
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left – more... to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved). – less
Library Assistant/Student
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 12, 2013
Good for current students, time to study. Staff is very friendly.
workplace
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help Center (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2013
Typical day at work involves talking with a variety of student from different cultural and ethical background and working with them one on one. I have learn so much working here, from typical office duties such as faxing, copying, filing ect.
great place to work
Instructor (Former Employee), kalamazoo, michiganJune 21, 2013
excellent environment to work in. I was allowed to grow as an educator, and received great support from the university community.
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
Pros: we could use all the equipment
Cons: no breaks and no food
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My – more... co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation – less
Great experience
Resident Assistant (Hoejke Hall) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 26, 2013
Pros: free room and board, early move in
I took this job for only a semester so I really can't say much about WMU as a whole, but since I graduated from there, can't complain
Awesome
Orientation Student Leader (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2013
Western is a great place to go to school and work. Never a dull day if you know what to do and where to go.
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
Pros: free snacks, we were allowed to listen to pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons: parking
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something – more... came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents. – less
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 17, 2013
Created syllabi and lesson plans, lectured and administered to undergraduate students; assisted the Director with research, lecture preparation, and other tasks, helped to create a chapter of the Hansischer Geschichtsverein at Western Michigan University.
It's a good place to teach and learn knowledge.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2013
Western Michigan University is an academic institute with good reputation. As a TA working in WMU, it trains me well regarding to teaching skill and communication skill. Besides, its excellent, intelligent and hard-working faculties insure the best quality of education.
College work
Independent Researcher (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 4, 2013
Every student works hard to attain their goals at this college.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
Pros: meet new people
Cons: short hours
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos