Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Gold Person Ambassador (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 19, 2013
The people here made working fun and entertaining. I talked with people and gave them directions.
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
Pros: friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons: small workspace.
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left – more... to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved). – less
Library Assistant/Student
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 12, 2013
Good for current students, time to study. Staff is very friendly.
Once in a lifetime experience
Study Abroad Student (Former Employee), AustraliaJuly 10, 2013
A typical day in Australia would include visiting different businesses to speak with various Australian businessmen and women. We would learn about the business' tasks and how it operates. I was with eighteen other WMU students who too are in majoring in business, so it was a very relaxed group.
workplace
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help Center (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2013
Typical day at work involves talking with a variety of student from different cultural and ethical background and working with them one on one. I have learn so much working here, from typical office duties such as faxing, copying, filing ect.
great place to work
Instructor (Former Employee), kalamazoo, michiganJune 21, 2013
excellent environment to work in. I was allowed to grow as an educator, and received great support from the university community.
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
Pros: we could use all the equipment
Cons: no breaks and no food
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My – more... co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation – less
Great experience
Resident Assistant (Hoejke Hall) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 26, 2013
Pros: free room and board, early move in
I took this job for only a semester so I really can't say much about WMU as a whole, but since I graduated from there, can't complain
Awesome
Orientation Student Leader (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2013
Western is a great place to go to school and work. Never a dull day if you know what to do and where to go.
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
Pros: free snacks, we were allowed to listen to pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons: parking
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something – more... came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents. – less
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 17, 2013
Created syllabi and lesson plans, lectured and administered to undergraduate students; assisted the Director with research, lecture preparation, and other tasks, helped to create a chapter of the Hansischer Geschichtsverein at Western Michigan University.
It's a good place to teach and learn knowledge.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2013
Western Michigan University is an academic institute with good reputation. As a TA working in WMU, it trains me well regarding to teaching skill and communication skill. Besides, its excellent, intelligent and hard-working faculties insure the best quality of education.
College work
Independent Researcher (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 4, 2013
Every student works hard to attain their goals at this college.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
Pros: meet new people
Cons: short hours
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.
Productive and rewarding place to work
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 29, 2013
I worked with students from 90 different countries. It was so enriching and rewarding to work with such great students.
Student Employment
Student Employee (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2013
A typical day of work was meeting in the morning and the unionized people complaining in order to make the meeting longer and unproductive. After the meeting ended employees split off to receive their assigned vehicles and start on daily tasks such as weed whipping and edging (students only) while the unionized people went to their break rooms and ate – more... breakfast and drank coffee until approximately 8:00 am (we started at 6:00 am).
What I learned was a great deal from my supervisor who taught me about invasive species and trail management in the Natural Areas and Preserves (donated to the Board of Education by various people). My supervisor also taught me about different species of birds and plant life natural to Michigan and how to promote their growth.
I liked the management of Western Michigan University however the unionized employees of the AFSCME union did not like to work and constantly complained that students where trying to take there jobs that they refused to do.
The Management constantly had to take unionized employees into meetings with their union representative for not working and complaining about the student employees, by the way, who are limited in the number of hours they could work and the rate of pay the was considerably less than what the unionized people where paid. – less
Records Supervisor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2013
WMU is a wonderful organization to work for. Great benefits, good people and great students.
Audio Visual Technician
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: it doesn't exist anymore
Great part-time job with a great boss and co-workers. I had a lot of fun there and enjoyed the job.
Production of daily applications for admission
Admissions Processor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 8, 2013
Data entry and answer phone calls,the first contact the students have with the university
Fun workplace, productive environment
Neural Systems Research Lab technitian (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: productive environment, and great mentor
A typical day would involve changing the medium in which the neuron cells were growing. Then I would study the cells under a microscope and record what was observed. Once that was done I would either, do some research on the neurons or work on some code for my other projects.

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos