Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

productive college life
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 17, 2015
Working with and serving college student. Constantly on your feet, productive college atmosphere, Hectic and busy environment. Great benefits
Teacher/Research Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 15, 2015
Teach Health and Wellness courses as well as Activity courses for the Human Performance and Health Education department at WMU.
Best social work assistant in the West-ern
Social Work Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2014
On a typical day as an assistant consisted of filing student files, making lots of copies for staff and students, and socializing with students and staff; I also was responsible for my own cohort leaving the social work program and a new cohort entering the social work program. I helped plan and organize my own social work cohort's graduation (with flyers, order of service and names of graduating class, flowers, cupcakes, cake, gifts, etc.). I learned organizational skills that would prepare me for the realm of social work.
Pros
giving social work student advice for incoming cohorts, helping with outgoing cohort experiences, working with the dean
Cons
not alot of supervision ( most questions would be answered at a later time), did alot of organization and planning
Required for Indeed
Bronco Express Telephone Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 3, 2014
A typical day - a busy call volume, calls come into a call que. I mostly provide instruction to students to navigate their account or the WMU website or provide timelines for paperwork processing. Wish position involved more hands-on information processing, trouble shooting and the ability to resolve problems/provide solutions. Best part of job is providing quality customer service and making the customer happy.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, health benefits
Cons
wages, compensation, management
bad job when working for temp service (dining services)
Dining services - temp. employee (Former Employee) –  DiningJanuary 16, 2015
they say they are an equal opportunity employer. They are not!!! Students beware - very costly and they don't care about you. Go to KVCC or another community college if you can.

Don't go WEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cons
way too much upper management that does not have a clue.
Learning environment and a launch base
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 14, 2014
A typical day starts with literature review and lab experiments. I have learned team work and communication skills. Strengthened my technical abilities and software knowledge.
The hardest part of the job was to figure out the problems in the data we gathered and fix it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the moment we found the result and response.
Student Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 18, 2014
On a regular day, the supervisor will have an assignment for you when you come into work. Typical filing, creating data spreadsheet, or organizing. Also, every few weeks there is a meeting or event and the student receptionist has to setup and clean the meeting area before and after.

Overall, as a student receptionist you'll help with whatever the supervisor need you to do and still have time to do class work.
On-line teaching with non-traditional students
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 24, 2014
I have taught in adjunct status for about 30 years at this university. The on-line position's population is a most rewarding one in that I am able to listen to and assist students who are at a crossroads frequently in their lives. The program is designed to support students in evaluating their health and well-being and hence their direction in life across a fairly wide spectrum.
Relaxed and flexible work environment
Student Aid/Assistant Budget Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 25, 2014
The Budget Office at Western Michigan University was a good job for a student of the college, their ability to work around my class schedule was beneficial. I was unable to work more than 25 hours a week, no matter the time of year which was why I was unable to remain at the position. The people in the office were great, very friendly and always willing to help. This job is ideal for a finance/accounting major rather than a marketing major because you are dealing with numbers and adjustments on a daily basis. I was able to form relationships with administrative professionals in other departments in the administration building and respect this department greatly.
Interesting place to work for
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2014
This was my only work study job. It was very interesting to see how work study students were treated compared to normal employees. The hours were great, but management didn't show to much interest in work study student's futures. They were more concerned about students not exceeding the work study budget. I did learn a few technological skills, which has helped me succeed in my classes.
Pros
technological skills
Cons
very low hours
very laid back
Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2014
I would open up the car wash some days or close some days. when opening/closing you have to make sure all lights are on, motors going, everything is clean/tidy, lights on and car wash port ready. I was in the booth and on the sight by myself most the time so i had to be on top of things and make sure everything ran smooth. The hardest part was cleaning the car port at night, the easiest part was cashiering.
Pros
free car wash every week
Cons
winter time gets cold in the booth while cashiering
they provide free food and we get an off after 4hours of continuous work
Mentor (Current Employee) –  michiganJanuary 3, 2014
Though sometimes the job nature is very hectic , there are times when we are very free. I love my job as i can handle my expenses on my own without much pressure. I have learnt to work as a team and to manage my team after my experience at my school. I have been mentoring students for about a year now. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes there are some mis-communications within the team which has lead to quite a few problems. But nevertheless, it has been a wonderful experience being a part of this work ! It has made me self-confident and has also given a new dimension for my life .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very short breaks upto just 10 mins
Productive and Inviting atmosphere.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 27, 2013
I am currently enjoy being an office assistant. The atmosphere is very laid back and everyone enjoys each other company. It is typically busy because student's always needed your help yesterday. We work in an environment where our mission is to help students and make sure they get what is needed to keep them successful.
Pros
enjoy working with people.
Cons
being able to help everyone with their work and no one being able to help you with yours.
The benefits were excellent with free tuition
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2013
I enjoy working in a professional business office with skill to work on special projects at the supervisor level: maintain excellent oral communication skills, problem resolution abilities, and a high level of confidentiality; extensive experience working with the general public, customer service and office support skills; enthusiastic, mature, self-reliant, hardworking disposition, and illustrate leadership and training skills.
Pros
free back rubs once a month, shoes allowance once a year
Cons
breakrooms had no windows
Not a Great University
Teaching Assistant - Instructor First Aid (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2014
I had plenty of issues with WMU during my time and how much the staff was actually working for the students and how many mistakes they made. However, this teaching assistant opportunity was excellent and so was the instructor. I had my first experience learning how to teach a class and giving and receiving extensive feedback to and from students and the instructor.
Flexible work environment with many intelligent and knowledgable people to work with
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2012
-Being a recent undergraduate student I've learned teaching is not as easy from a professors perspective
-There is not a typical day at work, just typical times to meet for class
-I hope that when I'm done with my master's degree that I will be able to work with my co-workers in the future.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a student learn (that epiphany moment when they have learned something new)
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2012
As a teaching assistant you are depended on to teach labs and lectures. In so doing, you are required to design, present, and grade material for a number of students ranging from 24-60. This is great experience, but when combined with the requirements for lab time that you need to do as a grad student in order to graduate, it can be very demanding. Overall I've enjoyed this time, learned a lot about teaching, and grown in my ability to relate to others.
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents.
Pros
free snacks, we were allowed to listen to pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons
parking
Exciting workplace
Office Manger (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 25, 2012
I worked hand and hand with the Director of the building. I was able to keep track of his busy schedule, I made out maintenance forms, filed, faxed, and copied all necessary papers. I dealt with various incoming freshmans, and sophmores. I took all complaints and concerns from students, and parents of students. Nonetheless, if there were other people with concerns, appointments, etc., I assisted them in proper protocol
Pros
office work
Cons
not enough hours
Amazing New Experience
Temporary Beginner Processor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
This was a "typical" work day, with some overtime occasionally. I've enjoyed the overall job and having a scheduled work week. It was a temporary assignment to assist with the university's busy time of enrollment.

4.4