Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Working Educational Experience
Kitchen Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 1, 2014
The atmosphere at Western Michigan University provided an excellent opportunity to understand the business operations conducted on a larger scale. It allowed me to understand economies of scale dealing with a large customer base. It provided valuable learning experiences that are transferable to various industries.
Pros
development opportunities
Cons
compensation
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
short hours
Resident Life
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 3, 2015
Great job as an RA. Had to opportunity to have an impact on incoming students, help making them successful for their college career. Having a lot of different personalities to deal with at once was one of the best experiences on my life.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
On call a lot
Cafeteria Work Review
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 19, 2015
Depending on the time of day the work would either be very busy or very calm. Overall it was a very enjoyable job with pleasant co-workers and management that kept things running smoothly.
Pros
Free food before/after shifts
Cons
Limited to 20 hours of work a week
Teaching assistant for human anatomy
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 25, 2013
I was responsible for the laboratory portion of human anatomy, which included teaching students and ensuring they excelled in the class. I really enjoyed seeing students understand something that they previously may have struggled with. I felt like I really made an impact on a lot of students, and my student reviews were in agreement with that.
It's a good place to teach and learn knowledge.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2013
Western Michigan University is an academic institute with good reputation. As a TA working in WMU, it trains me well regarding to teaching skill and communication skill. Besides, its excellent, intelligent and hard-working faculties insure the best quality of education.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
- Come to school 30 mins early
- Prepare class room (powerpoint, excel, assignment prep etc.)
- Take attendance
- perform powerpoint or material, etc.
- Dismiss students after assignment assigned
- After class grade worksheets
- Lunch, wait for next class period
Pros
non demanding/laid back work environment
Cons
pay is too low
Work Study works well
Graduate Assistant/Department Aide (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2013
I worked here for the time I was a student. The professors were wonderful and willing to have you help with anything. I got a wide range of experience and even was asked to help review a textbook for one of my professors, whetting my thirst for the publishing industry.
Coworkers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 19, 2015
I work with a very diverse, educated group of faculty and I love their enthusiasm and dedication to patient care and healthcare education. I have an excellent supervisor who is a co-worker and treats me as an equal. I have learned to be patient and encouraging to my students.
Pros
Education focused
Cons
Part time
workplace
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help Center (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2013
Typical day at work involves talking with a variety of student from different cultural and ethical background and working with them one on one. I have learn so much working here, from typical office duties such as faxing, copying, filing ect.
Wonderful Place to Work
Consumer Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
The culture at WMU is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful professors and staff. Western is a great place to be, and the community is very supportive of the university. I would highly recommend WMU to anyone.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Difficult to be hired full-time
Fast paced, friendly helpful staff
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2015
Whenever there was a time that I needed assistance, there was always a staff member or management there to give guidance. The most enjoyable part of working here was meeting new people, learning to work in different areas of the kitchen to move around.
Family type atmosphere
Women's Basketball Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
The culture is very family oriented and centered around working towards a common goal. Co- workers are extremely supportive and eager to help in advancement of personal and team goals.
Pros
free team apparel, opportunity to travel
Cons
little room for advancement
Productive and great learning facility
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2014
• 40-week post-baccalaureate program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics that is a combined professional internship program and academic Master’s program
•Built on academic knowledge to enhance clinical and management skills in a variety of settings
fun place to work get to know more college students
student assistant (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo miOctober 24, 2013
make sure the incoming college freshman have everything they need from the dorms to their classes.
Pros
free movie tickets, dinners, ropes course field trip
Cons
no overtime, only so many hours can work
Great job for a full time student.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 24, 2013
A great job to help understand the inner workings of an administrative team and what a usual day is like. Really taught how to deal and help people with their needs through helping students and parents.
An excellent college for my Exercise Science major.
Sports Coach (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2013
The hardest part of the job was the many hours spent on homework

The most enjoyable part of the job was the vast knowledge and experiences I obtained.
Pros
flexible hours, building relationships with peers
Cons
long commute, no pay
University with exceptional opportunities for students to contribute productively
Systems Analyst, Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 19, 2012
Multiple opportunities in IT sector, network administration, engaging with government agencies to do statistical analysis, exceptional computer R&D programs in chip design
Pros
work life balance, educational and advancement opportunities
Cons
university with limited comp and benefits
Large University with a Small Campus Culture
TA, Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 2, 2012
Western Michigan University is an excellent place to work. The people are friendly, intelligent, and hard working. Students are appreciative and the campus can't be beat.
Pros
miller auditorium, recreational center
Cons
ongoing construction
Great experience
Resident Assistant (Hoejke Hall) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 26, 2013
I took this job for only a semester so I really can't say much about WMU as a whole, but since I graduated from there, can't complain
Pros
free room and board, early move in

4.4