Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Productive and Inviting atmosphere.
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MINovember 27, 2013
Pros: enjoy working with people.
Cons: being able to help everyone with their work and no one being able to help you with yours.
I am currently enjoy being an office assistant. The atmosphere is very laid back and everyone enjoys each other company. It is typically busy because student's always needed your help yesterday. We work in an environment where our mission is to help students and make sure they get what is needed to keep them successful.
The benefits were excellent with free tuition
Custodian (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2013
Pros: free back rubs once a month, shoes allowance once a year
Cons: breakrooms had no windows
I enjoy working in a professional business office with skill to work on special projects at the supervisor level: maintain excellent oral communication skills, problem resolution abilities, and a high level of confidentiality; extensive experience working with the general public, customer service and office support skills; enthusiastic, mature, self-reliant, – more... hardworking disposition, and illustrate leadership and training skills. – less
fun place to work get to know more college students
student assistant (Former Employee), kalamazoo miOctober 24, 2013
Pros: free movie tickets, dinners, ropes course field trip
Cons: no overtime, only so many hours can work
make sure the incoming college freshman have everything they need from the dorms to their classes.
Great job for a full time student.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 24, 2013
A great job to help understand the inner workings of an administrative team and what a usual day is like. Really taught how to deal and help people with their needs through helping students and parents.
Amazing Workplace
Receptionist/Security (Former Employee), 1903 W. Michigan Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49008September 20, 2013
Coworkers were all fellow students, it was amazing getting to meet all sorts of new people.
Good University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 8, 2013
Nice place to study and work. Good work atmosphere. I learned a lot.
Teaching assistant for human anatomy
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 25, 2013
I was responsible for the laboratory portion of human anatomy, which included teaching students and ensuring they excelled in the class. I really enjoyed seeing students understand something that they previously may have struggled with. I felt like I really made an impact on a lot of students, and my student reviews were in agreement with that.
Nice Institution
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 24, 2013
Pros: you can make friends
Cons: pressure and job too demanding for the pay
Too much in-fighting for job retention. There aren't many faculty positions for minorities, so the few positions are highly contested and people stab themselves behind. The school environment is nice though and coworkers are friendly - at least on facial value. The institution, on a general note, has good vision.
College jobs
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 16, 2013
All depends on what department you work for. some departments are good and have a good work environment and some don't.
Fun work environment
Teaching & Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 13, 2013
Typical work day for a teaching assistant is varied by your class schedule. Learned more than anyone can imagine being able to teach students.
Great organization
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 31, 2013
I worked with international students from all walks of life. This job enriched my life so much.
best job ever
Lab Monitor/Front Desk Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I loved this job. It is a very laid back environment. You get to work with great people
An excellent college for my Exercise Science major.
Sports Coach (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, building relationships with peers
Cons: long commute, no pay
The hardest part of the job was the many hours spent on homework

The most enjoyable part of the job was the vast knowledge and experiences I obtained.
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 21, 2013
 Lifeguard at Kik Pool in Upjohn Park
 Always being physical able to perform any task at hand
 CPR and Basic health saving rescue
 Training in groups and team activities skills
Fun place to work
Gold Person Ambassador (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 19, 2013
The people here made working fun and entertaining. I talked with people and gave them directions.
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
Pros: friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons: small workspace.
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left – more... to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved). – less
Library Assistant/Student
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 12, 2013
Good for current students, time to study. Staff is very friendly.
workplace
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help Center (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2013
Typical day at work involves talking with a variety of student from different cultural and ethical background and working with them one on one. I have learn so much working here, from typical office duties such as faxing, copying, filing ect.
great place to work
Instructor (Former Employee), kalamazoo, michiganJune 21, 2013
excellent environment to work in. I was allowed to grow as an educator, and received great support from the university community.
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
Pros: we could use all the equipment
Cons: no breaks and no food
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My – more... co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation – less

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos