Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Easy
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 26, 2017
Working as a front desk worker for WMU was not hard at all. The job did require a lot. As long as you paid attention to those that were coming in the building the job was not difficult.
Social Work Office
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 19, 2017
I loved working with the ladies in the social work department it made me want to take it up as a minor because of all the things they did. I was inspired daily and was always willing to work
Pros
Understanding Management
Cons
Short Hours
Academic Environment increasingly stressful
Master Faculty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 19, 2017
Workload expectations have increased dramatically over employment period and work/life balance has become increasingly lopsided toward work.

Working with clients and students is very rewarding, but demands for service to department, college, university, community and profession are required by not included in workload calculations.
Pros
Unrealistic demands without sufficient resources or compensation
Cons
Union negotiated contract has helped to maintain good benefit package
Great Place to Work!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is that every day is different and being able to serve by providing great service to our student and faculty and staff.
Excellent side job
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 16, 2017
This job was very convenient for a student who didn't have a lot of time. As a workstudy position, it was easy to fit my work schedule in between classes.
College Athletics/NCAA
ASSISTANT WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS COACH (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 8, 2017
A typical day include training elite athletes and recruiting athletes for the future.
I learned about the executive side of sports.
The culture at Western Michigan University's Athletic Department was energetic team oriented.
The hardest part of the job was having to decide who to cut from the team in the preseason.
The best part of the job was sending a well prepared team into competition.
Pros
Recruiting, developing elite athletes, the great relationships and competition
Cons
Losing
alot of fun friendly people
Customer/Student Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 5, 2017
a typical day at work is full of laughs. ready to explore the job and meet the new people who come in and out. its a beautiful thing when you can be the reason a person smile and make their by simply talkisng to them thats the part i enjoyed most
Fun to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2017
off all the places I worked, Western is a good place to work here the working hours are flexible. I learned how to mange tough situations and be calm during these pressure time.
Easily a good option for students in need of an on campus job!
Student Dining Center Employee (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 30, 2017
If you're a student looking for a job that can easily be based around your class schedule, the dining centre is a must! The pace and atmosphere is relaxing enough for a person not to feel overwhelmed.
Pros
Adaptability to schedule
Fun place to work
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 30, 2017
I work on campus while I attend the university . It is fun palace to work. Lot of hard work cleaning lifting serving food but we got lot of energetic people to make things smooth
Physician Assistant Department (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2017
Great place to work. Job security and advancement are uncertain. It can be a few years before a Clinical Specialist is on a tenure track and out of term system which means your job is subject each year to budget.
Beneficial Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2017
A typical day at work consist of preparing Electron Spray Ionization Mass Spectroscopy (ESI-MS) sample, and running the samples through the ESI-MS, cleaning dishes, organizing the lab, keeping my laboratory notebook updated, and assisting the graduate students when they need help.

During my time at this job, I learned how to prepare samples for the ESI-MS and proton and carbon Nuclear Magnetic Resonances (NMRs). I also learned how to analyze the carbon and hydrogen NMRs and ESI-MS.

The management is fair, I have no complaints.

The workplace culture is fun, determined, and motivated.

The hardest part of the job is being in control of my project's progress being an undergraduate with a full class schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job are meeting new people, attending conferences, and having the experience working on a paper that was published last October.
Pros
Free lunches, seminars, guest speakers, watch Master's and PhD defenses
Cons
unstable income
It was good
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed working there. They faculty was kind to me and I really liked the students. Western gave me a lot of great experience that I can be sure to use in my future career.
Productive work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 17, 2017
General office support and faculty support: answer phone calls, emails, order supplies, make copies, and scan documents for faculty and students. Development of new material for courses. Assisted faculty member with a research project; engaged in literature searches.
Universities are now businesses..
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 15, 2017
Overall WMU is a nice, decent size university.

I wish the budgets would be more dedicated to help students and improve teaching quality and variety, instead of wasting it on art - not made by our students..

It's idealistic but I dream of a university dedicated to knowledge, not money and appearances.
Pros
small campus, easy access on foot everywhere
Cons
not enough parking spaces for students (when they pay an expensive pass)
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49525May 12, 2017
Typical workload for adjunct faculty., They do provide great training and support to faculty. Staff is great, students are well prepared and have solid foundation from previous classes.
Pros
great training
Cons
salary
Stressful
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 8, 2017
Being a graduate student is stressful in general. Having other duties to do brings more stress. People there are gentle and they mange things really well but there are a lot of duties to do.
Great place
OIT Helpdesk Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 3, 2017
Everyone is very nice and accepting at WMU, Always willing to allow you to learn more and willing to teach. Great work environment. Opportunities to move up do come along as well as opportunities to move to other departments.
Productive learning environment
Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1343 Ellsworth HallMay 2, 2017
They are lenient with scheduling and also go out there way to help with additional help for students and faculty. The Director over the writing center program is also very supportive and dependable.
Fun and inclusive environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2017
I loved being an RA. I was excited from day 1 and wanted to build a community and as soon as residents poured in, I took charge and started building a floor family. It wasn't too difficult considering I had mostly transfer students who were eager to enjoy the res hall life. My hall director was great and I hardly had problems with the job itself. My studies however, did take a hit but that was also in large part because of personal issues.
Pros
Community development
Cons
No definition of hours (on call almost 24/7) since you live where you work