Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Working Educational Experience
Kitchen Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 1, 2014
The atmosphere at Western Michigan University provided an excellent opportunity to understand the business operations conducted on a larger scale. It allowed me to understand economies of scale dealing with a large customer base. It provided valuable learning experiences that are transferable to various industries.
Pros
development opportunities
Cons
compensation
Amazing New Experience
Temporary Beginner Processor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 9, 2015
This was a "typical" work day, with some overtime occasionally. I've enjoyed the overall job and having a scheduled work week. It was a temporary assignment to assist with the university's busy time of enrollment.
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation
Pros
we could use all the equipment
Cons
no breaks and no food
University with exceptional opportunities for students to contribute productively
Systems Analyst, Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 19, 2012
Multiple opportunities in IT sector, network administration, engaging with government agencies to do statistical analysis, exceptional computer R&D programs in chip design
Pros
work life balance, educational and advancement opportunities
Cons
university with limited comp and benefits
Confortable work environment
Front desk attendant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 26, 2012
At the front desk i had to deal with lots of people who were new on campus where they expected me to deal with their questions. I had to be on the phone for most of my time either calling maintenance, or my bosses for wrong keys issued to a room. The response i received from my bosses was quick and showed their dedication to the task.
Pros
independence
Cons
it was a short contract
Nice Institution
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 24, 2013
Too much in-fighting for job retention. There aren't many faculty positions for minorities, so the few positions are highly contested and people stab themselves behind. The school environment is nice though and coworkers are friendly - at least on facial value. The institution, on a general note, has good vision.
Pros
you can make friends
Cons
pressure and job too demanding for the pay
Teaching assistant for human anatomy
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 25, 2013
I was responsible for the laboratory portion of human anatomy, which included teaching students and ensuring they excelled in the class. I really enjoyed seeing students understand something that they previously may have struggled with. I felt like I really made an impact on a lot of students, and my student reviews were in agreement with that.
NIce job for students, friendly people, work with kids
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 6, 2014
40% - Organized lesson plans, taught children ages 3-12 years of age proper swimming technique and skills, from introducing toddlers to the water, up to providing coaching for older children.
60% - Watched over lap/open swim, swim lessons in order to make sure no one was in danger and provide assistance if needed.
great
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  kalamazooMay 9, 2015
fun job fun people worked late worked alone sometimes got tired can do homework on desk job seasonal job over all the job is great for college students
Fun workplace, productive environment
Neural Systems Research Lab technitian (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2013
A typical day would involve changing the medium in which the neuron cells were growing. Then I would study the cells under a microscope and record what was observed. Once that was done I would either, do some research on the neurons or work on some code for my other projects.
Pros
productive environment, and great mentor
Family type atmosphere
Women's Basketball Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
The culture is very family oriented and centered around working towards a common goal. Co- workers are extremely supportive and eager to help in advancement of personal and team goals.
Pros
free team apparel, opportunity to travel
Cons
little room for advancement
Work at Western Michigan
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 28, 2012
Everyday i would first come in to store the residents mail and distribute the mail to the residents. I answered the telephone when needed and provided daily customer service. I cleaned up my area daily and made sure everything would be in place. I learned how to be a better friendly me while on the job and enjoyed meeting new people.
Productive and great learning facility
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2014
• 40-week post-baccalaureate program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics that is a combined professional internship program and academic Master’s program
•Built on academic knowledge to enhance clinical and management skills in a variety of settings
It's a good place to teach and learn knowledge.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2013
Western Michigan University is an academic institute with good reputation. As a TA working in WMU, it trains me well regarding to teaching skill and communication skill. Besides, its excellent, intelligent and hard-working faculties insure the best quality of education.
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved).
Pros
friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons
small workspace.
Amazing location for growth and fun.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Engagement with prospective students and promotions through team efforts that exemplify what makes Western Michigan University.
Pros
free lunch
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
short hours
Wmu
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2013
WMU was an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate student to get experience working directly with experienced professors in a laboratory setting. WMU is a great company to work for, the schedule was flexible and the knowledge and experience gained was invaluable to my career.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 17, 2013
Created syllabi and lesson plans, lectured and administered to undergraduate students; assisted the Director with research, lecture preparation, and other tasks, helped to create a chapter of the Hansischer Geschichtsverein at Western Michigan University.
good
Research associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2015
Very nice, I enjoyed research at Western Michigan University. I was involved in a project that has long aim to find the link between photosynthesis and amino acids metabolism,

4.4