Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

Fun and inclusive environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2017
I loved being an RA. I was excited from day 1 and wanted to build a community and as soon as residents poured in, I took charge and started building a floor family. It wasn't too difficult considering I had mostly transfer students who were eager to enjoy the res hall life. My hall director was great and I hardly had problems with the job itself. My studies however, did take a hit but that was also in large part because of personal issues.
Pros
Community development
Cons
No definition of hours (on call almost 24/7) since you live where you work
Great development opportunity on campus
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 30, 2017
I was contacted to do this job because I have good grades in math, past leadership experience as an Eagle Scout. I was trained by the Math Department to become a Learning Assistant. I was assigned a class, where I would support the professor's learning material and instruction. I also held independent tutoring sessions to review material with students in detail.
Wonderful job.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  SeibertApril 25, 2017
I really do love working at this position and would recommend working at WMU to anyone! The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful, some jobs are fast paced and some are not, there is something for everyone.
Great job for a student
Kalamazoo - Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2017
I love the work environment; the supervisors and my co-workers are amazingly kind and are happy to work around my class schedule. I would stay forever if I could get more hours and higher pay.
Overall good work experience for a full-time college student
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2017
My typical work day includes completing tasks that the Hall Director assigns me as well as assisting students with any troubles they are experiencing while living in the residence halls.
The best job I've had
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 4, 2017
I worked for the computer lab, and I worked the night shift. They were wonderful with my school schedule and the job was overwhelmingly simple. Best job I've ever had!
Great place
Assistant Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work, amazing people and incredible experiences. I loved working for them and would do it again in a heartbeat but unfortunately had to move on for a different job.
Pros
Free clothing and laundry, paid travel
Cons
pay is not great and very time consuming
Great environment
Financial Aid & Scholarships Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2017
One of the best places I ever worked for. Positive environment, great shifts, flexibility, management was great, and much much more. I would highly recommend
Productive and insightful work experience
Ethnographic Film Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2017
Working with Professor Jon Holtzman on his ethnographic film was both a great learning opportunity and provided excellent experience for film editing.
A Place of Growth and Expansion
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2017
This particular institution can provide individuals with the experience and knowledge to improve their professional career; however, there are is a tremendous need for additional diversity and inclusion.
Pros
Work experience with senior faculty
Student Lead
Student Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2017
It wasn't a bad job as a student attending the school. As a full time employee now looking back though, upward movement was severely restricted to those colleagues of mine that were not student workers.
My Research work
Head of Aquaponics Research (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2017
This job was all upon my shoulders to create my research and data collect on my own work. I would report back to my boss and they would work with me learn to analyze my data and get it into writing. The best thing about this job was also the worst depending how it was looked at, but the freedom to work on our own and creating and using my own research, which created the best real world experience.
Pros
real research
Cons
working alone at times
worker
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 6, 2017
It was very relaxing and fun.Learned how to be more social and met new people.Work was energy and we got to do homework too.
Pros
homework
Cons
Prepping food, there's always something that needs to be done
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 2, 2017
A typical day at work is preparing food in the cafeteria for the students to eat when it's time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner; each one is different. I learned many things but most of all how to work in a fast pace food industry. The hardest part of the job is remembering the order in which the food is to be placed in. The most enjoyable part was working with older people, everyone worries about themselves but always open to offer help when needed.
Pros
Free lunches
great place to do research in technical field.
student manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 25, 2017
a great place to learn something new through out all the semesters by proper technical approach in each subject, entire management were so good all the time responding immediately for all the problems, great place to work fun atmosphere all time.
Classroom presenter for Burgos, Spain study abroad
Classroom presenter/Study Abroad (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 23, 2017
Fun to talk to students and answer questions as well as ask them things relating to studying in other countries. I was there to motivate and inform different classes, the culture was friendly and interested in what I had to say. Hardest part of the job was when I felt like I was trying to sell something or a particular experience, though this year the Spanish Department reported highest number of applications on record for the Burgos, Spain study abroad program.
Pros
interfacing with students and providing aid to concerns, talking about my experiences
Great place
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Meet new people, work at one of the best places in Michigan. Give a great care to you as aperson, which is hard to find in an educational system. Overall 9.9/10
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 15, 2017
Good place to work if you want to be in Union. Show up on time and do what you're told and you will advance. Maintain a designated area on a daily basis and provide any special services requested by management.
Fun & Really Enjoyable Job
Game Day Operations Internship (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 10, 2017
I was going to school while working this position and it was perfect. My time management was great. They let me work around my school classes. I had a lot of fun meeting new friends and learning all about alumni relations and development. It is a great job to work while attending Western Michigan University.
Pros
Works well with school schedule
Perfectly acceptable for students
Department of Psychology Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 21, 2016
Student workers will be pleased with Western Michigan University, with their ability to quickly place students with jobs on campus, for minimum wage, and easy job skills.
Pros
On campus, good for students
Cons
Average pay, difficult hours