Western Michigan University Employee Reviews

they provide free food and we get an off after 4hours of continuous work
Mentor (Current Employee) –  michiganJanuary 3, 2014
Though sometimes the job nature is very hectic , there are times when we are very free. I love my job as i can handle my expenses on my own without much pressure. I have learnt to work as a team and to manage my team after my experience at my school. I have been mentoring students for about a year now. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes there are some mis-communications within the team which has lead to quite a few problems. But nevertheless, it has been a wonderful experience being a part of this work ! It has made me self-confident and has also given a new dimension for my life .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very short breaks upto just 10 mins
Wonderful Place to Work
Consumer Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 14, 2015
The culture at WMU is absolutely amazing. There are so many wonderful professors and staff. Western is a great place to be, and the community is very supportive of the university. I would highly recommend WMU to anyone.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Difficult to be hired full-time
Best social work assistant in the West-ern
Social Work Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2014
On a typical day as an assistant consisted of filing student files, making lots of copies for staff and students, and socializing with students and staff; I also was responsible for my own cohort leaving the social work program and a new cohort entering the social work program. I helped plan and organize my own social work cohort's graduation (with flyers, order of service and names of graduating class, flowers, cupcakes, cake, gifts, etc.). I learned organizational skills that would prepare me for the realm of social work.
Pros
Giving social work student advice for incoming cohorts, helping with outgoing cohort experiences, working with the Dean
Cons
Not alot of supervision ( most questions would be answered at a later time), did alot of organization and planning
Family type atmosphere
Women's Basketball Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 21, 2014
The culture is very family oriented and centered around working towards a common goal. Co- workers are extremely supportive and eager to help in advancement of personal and team goals.
Pros
Free team apparel, opportunity to travel
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun environment, meet new people, and television was available along with a stereo.
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work was distributing packages, signing out items and being checked on by other veteran workers. While working there I learned how to do everything that was needed of me. For example sometimes I would have to talk to people to understand some of our policies or I would help out with answering calls and making orders for equipment. My co-workers where all good people and fun to be around, but my boss was the best she was not too overly aggressive nor was she at all laid back. Overall the best part of the job was seeing some friends that you might know on their way out or back whenever things where slow in order to have a quick conversation
Pros
We could use all the equipment
Cons
no breaks and no food
Great internship
Day Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2015
I loved experiencing working with the disabled population. I learned so much about myself and how to deal with a vulnerable population. It was such a rewarding experience.
Coworkers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 19, 2015
I work with a very diverse, educated group of faculty and I love their enthusiasm and dedication to patient care and healthcare education. I have an excellent supervisor who is a co-worker and treats me as an equal. I have learned to be patient and encouraging to my students.
Pros
Education focused
Cons
Part time
Excellent place to study and employ
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Physics DepartmentMay 8, 2015
What I learned from WMU:

1.Teaching , grading and proctoring with nice staff and faculty
2.Communication with different people with different countries
3. Excellent faculty and staff help for research , teaching and Graduate studies
4. Worked with friendly and helpful group members
5. Hardest part of the job is to manage work on time, but we did it with better organizing
6. Work with undergraduates and participate for different activities with them are the most enjoyable part when working in this place
Relaxed and flexible work environment
Student Aid/Assistant Budget Officer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 25, 2014
The Budget Office at Western Michigan University was a good job for a student of the college, their ability to work around my class schedule was beneficial. I was unable to work more than 25 hours a week, no matter the time of year which was why I was unable to remain at the position. The people in the office were great, very friendly and always willing to help. This job is ideal for a finance/accounting major rather than a marketing major because you are dealing with numbers and adjustments on a daily basis. I was able to form relationships with administrative professionals in other departments in the administration building and respect this department greatly.
Co-Instructor
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 27, 2015
I have worked with upcoming Freshman for most of my college career. A typical day at work included me going into class and assisting the professor in the presentation of topic or assignments. The professor I worked with was a great professor and truly loved his job which made mine rewarding as well. I liked that I was able to be an asset to students if they needed me regarding personal or school life.

Want to know more about Western Michigan University?

Ask a question
work and life balance and job has challenge
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2012
Responsible for deploying/maintaining/troubleshooting hardware infrastructure (server, workstation and CISCO devices), software implement and configuration for entire virtual training environment (VTE), and assisting senior students in completing their hands-on lab assignments or E-Firm projects from the training program of companies.
I have learned to configure CISCO devices and deploy the configuration of servers and clients in network topology.
I have my own free time when I've done with my work, so my supervisor does not ask me how many hours I work in a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is challenge in the job. Need to create virtual training environment for E-Firm project from the training program of a company.
The hardest part of the job is to maintain hardware infrastructure, upgrade systems/software, or deploy a different virtual training environment.
Interesting place to work for
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2014
This was my only work study job. It was very interesting to see how work study students were treated compared to normal employees. The hours were great, but management didn't show to much interest in work study student's futures. They were more concerned about students not exceeding the work study budget. I did learn a few technological skills, which has helped me succeed in my classes.
Pros
Technological skills
Cons
Very low hours
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2015
I process vouchers, answer the phone and questions, I hand out checks to individuals and I have learned patience with individuals and to ask questions to make sure I am giving them the correct help. At times the hardest part is understanding what a person is needing. We deal with many international students and they do know know our slang and word things different. The most enjoyable part is how understanding and flexible they are.
Pros
I deal with a variety of diverse people
Cons
I'm not able to work more than 25 hours a week, I'm a student worker
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents.
Pros
Free Snacks, We were allowed to listen to Pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons
Parking
Cafeteria Work Review
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 19, 2015
Depending on the time of day the work would either be very busy or very calm. Overall it was a very enjoyable job with pleasant co-workers and management that kept things running smoothly.
Pros
Free food before/after shifts
Cons
Limited to 20 hours of work a week
Great Experiences
IM Sports (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2015
The best and most fun job I ever worked was at Western. Even during the difficult times, there were always people to help out and there were always policies in place that dictated what actions to take next, so nothing ever felt out of control. Great co-workers, boss, and many opportunities to learn a lot if the opportunities are taken.
The benefits were excellent with free tuition
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2013
I enjoy working in a professional business office with skill to work on special projects at the supervisor level: maintain excellent oral communication skills, problem resolution abilities, and a high level of confidentiality; extensive experience working with the general public, customer service and office support skills; enthusiastic, mature, self-reliant, hardworking disposition, and illustrate leadership and training skills.
Pros
Free back rubs once a month, shoes allowance once a year
Cons
Breakrooms had no windows
Fast paced, friendly helpful staff
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 30, 2015
Whenever there was a time that I needed assistance, there was always a staff member or management there to give guidance. The most enjoyable part of working here was meeting new people, learning to work in different areas of the kitchen to move around.
Intern, great learning exprience
Internship (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, MISeptember 9, 2015
While interning I was able to grow and learn much more about the mental health spectrum. I was able to help many clients with daily living activities and goals. I was also able to learn more administrative aspects of the health realm.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4