Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Great experience
Resident Assistant (Hoejke Hall) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 26, 2013
Pros: free room and board, early move in
I took this job for only a semester so I really can't say much about WMU as a whole, but since I graduated from there, can't complain
Awesome
Orientation Student Leader (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2013
Western is a great place to go to school and work. Never a dull day if you know what to do and where to go.
Wonderful place to work there's a perfect amount of casual and professionalism.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 18, 2013
Pros: free snacks, we were allowed to listen to pandora as long as it was a reasonable station/volume.
Cons: parking
I loved working for WMU if my position was offered to graduates I certainly would have stayed. My manager (Kate) is amazing she gives the office a feel of ( It is OK to laugh and be yourself as long as you are completing you work consistently) peace and comfort. My co-workers were wonderful and we were there to pick up each-others shifts if something – more... came up. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the needs of the residents. – less
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 17, 2013
Created syllabi and lesson plans, lectured and administered to undergraduate students; assisted the Director with research, lecture preparation, and other tasks, helped to create a chapter of the Hansischer Geschichtsverein at Western Michigan University.
It's a good place to teach and learn knowledge.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2013
Western Michigan University is an academic institute with good reputation. As a TA working in WMU, it trains me well regarding to teaching skill and communication skill. Besides, its excellent, intelligent and hard-working faculties insure the best quality of education.
College work
Independent Researcher (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 4, 2013
Every student works hard to attain their goals at this college.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2013
Pros: meet new people
Cons: short hours
great day at work, learned how to use good communication skills, management was great. my co-workers was the best workers i can ever work with. the hardest part was the graveyard shifts. the most enjoyable part of the job was that i can do homework while at work and listen to music.
Productive and rewarding place to work
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 29, 2013
I worked with students from 90 different countries. It was so enriching and rewarding to work with such great students.
Student Employment
Student Employee (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2013
A typical day of work was meeting in the morning and the unionized people complaining in order to make the meeting longer and unproductive. After the meeting ended employees split off to receive their assigned vehicles and start on daily tasks such as weed whipping and edging (students only) while the unionized people went to their break rooms and ate – more... breakfast and drank coffee until approximately 8:00 am (we started at 6:00 am).
What I learned was a great deal from my supervisor who taught me about invasive species and trail management in the Natural Areas and Preserves (donated to the Board of Education by various people). My supervisor also taught me about different species of birds and plant life natural to Michigan and how to promote their growth.
I liked the management of Western Michigan University however the unionized employees of the AFSCME union did not like to work and constantly complained that students where trying to take there jobs that they refused to do.
The Management constantly had to take unionized employees into meetings with their union representative for not working and complaining about the student employees, by the way, who are limited in the number of hours they could work and the rate of pay the was considerably less than what the unionized people where paid. – less
Records Supervisor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2013
WMU is a wonderful organization to work for. Great benefits, good people and great students.
Audio Visual Technician
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: it doesn't exist anymore
Great part-time job with a great boss and co-workers. I had a lot of fun there and enjoyed the job.
Production of daily applications for admission
Admissions Processor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 8, 2013
Data entry and answer phone calls,the first contact the students have with the university
Fun workplace, productive environment
Neural Systems Research Lab technitian (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: productive environment, and great mentor
A typical day would involve changing the medium in which the neuron cells were growing. Then I would study the cells under a microscope and record what was observed. Once that was done I would either, do some research on the neurons or work on some code for my other projects.
Work Study works well
Graduate Assistant/Department Aide (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2013
I worked here for the time I was a student. The professors were wonderful and willing to have you help with anything. I got a wide range of experience and even was asked to help review a textbook for one of my professors, whetting my thirst for the publishing industry.
nice place to be
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: work close with professors
very nice atmosphere. like the professors. helps you with your classes too.
very intersting place to work in
Teacher and research assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: gym
Cons: health care, lunch reaks
Very relax and stable position.friendly enviroment, no complin at all , very old faces young people are little so classiacal subjectes and majors are availible.
Good University
Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 20, 2013
I have been studying educational leadership and quantitative methods at Western Michigan University for more than 5 years. This is a great place for learning and professional development.
WMU
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2013
WMU was an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate student to get experience working directly with experienced professors in a laboratory setting. WMU is a great company to work for, the schedule was flexible and the knowledge and experience gained was invaluable to my career.
Confortable work environment
Front desk attendant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 26, 2012
Pros: independence
Cons: it was a short contract
At the front desk i had to deal with lots of people who were new on campus where they expected me to deal with their questions. I had to be on the phone for most of my time either calling maintenance, or my bosses for wrong keys issued to a room. The response i received from my bosses was quick and showed their dedication to the task.
study with the american students and we make a project together
internatinal student (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MINovember 19, 2012
Pros: free reading
I like to be a student in WMU, because I learn a lot of things and I learn how to make things professional. I want to introduce more Chinese students to study here

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos