Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employer Reviews

Productive and rewarding place to work
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 29, 2013
I worked with students from 90 different countries. It was so enriching and rewarding to work with such great students.
Student Employment
Student Employee (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 23, 2013
A typical day of work was meeting in the morning and the unionized people complaining in order to make the meeting longer and unproductive. After the meeting ended employees split off to receive their assigned vehicles and start on daily tasks such as weed whipping and edging (students only) while the unionized people went to their break rooms and ate breakfast and drank coffee until approximately 8:00 am (we started at 6:00 am).
What I learned was a great deal from my supervisor who taught me about invasive species and trail management in the Natural Areas and Preserves (donated to the Board of Education by various people). My supervisor also taught me about different species of birds and plant life natural to Michigan and how to promote their growth.
I liked the management of Western Michigan University however the unionized employees of the AFSCME union did not like to work and constantly complained that students where trying to take there jobs that they refused to do.
The Management constantly had to take unionized employees into meetings with their union representative for not working and complaining about the student employees, by the way, who are limited in the number of hours they could work and the rate of pay the was considerably less than what the unionized people where paid.
Records Supervisor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2013
WMU is a wonderful organization to work for. Great benefits, good people and great students.
Audio Visual Technician
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: it doesn't exist anymore
Great part-time job with a great boss and co-workers. I had a lot of fun there and enjoyed the job.
Production of daily applications for admission
Admissions Processor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 8, 2013
Data entry and answer phone calls,the first contact the students have with the university
Fun workplace, productive environment
Neural Systems Research Lab technitian (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: productive environment, and great mentor
A typical day would involve changing the medium in which the neuron cells were growing. Then I would study the cells under a microscope and record what was observed. Once that was done I would either, do some research on the neurons or work on some code for my other projects.
Work Study works well
Graduate Assistant/Department Aide (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 11, 2013
I worked here for the time I was a student. The professors were wonderful and willing to have you help with anything. I got a wide range of experience and even was asked to help review a textbook for one of my professors, whetting my thirst for the publishing industry.
nice place to be
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: work close with professors
very nice atmosphere. like the professors. helps you with your classes too.
very intersting place to work in
Teacher and research assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: gym
Cons: health care, lunch reaks
Very relax and stable position.friendly enviroment, no complin at all , very old faces young people are little so classiacal subjectes and majors are availible.
Good University
Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 20, 2013
I have been studying educational leadership and quantitative methods at Western Michigan University for more than 5 years. This is a great place for learning and professional development.
WMU
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 16, 2013
WMU was an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate student to get experience working directly with experienced professors in a laboratory setting. WMU is a great company to work for, the schedule was flexible and the knowledge and experience gained was invaluable to my career.
Confortable work environment
Front desk attendant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 26, 2012
Pros: independence
Cons: it was a short contract
At the front desk i had to deal with lots of people who were new on campus where they expected me to deal with their questions. I had to be on the phone for most of my time either calling maintenance, or my bosses for wrong keys issued to a room. The response i received from my bosses was quick and showed their dedication to the task.
study with the american students and we make a project together
internatinal student (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MINovember 19, 2012
Pros: free reading
I like to be a student in WMU, because I learn a lot of things and I learn how to make things professional. I want to introduce more Chinese students to study here
Great School
Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2012
I learned a lot about biology in general. Teaching was a great experience, and the department was excellent. The only thing I wish was different is the average funding level in the labs and equipment availability.
Welcoming
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 30, 2012
I enjoy my time in the Management Department. My co-workers are great and everything is order.
Learning workplace
Associate Researcher and evaluator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 22, 2012
Doing research and evaluation, designing and implementing inservices, workshops and seminars were some of typical activities at WMU.
Nice place to work
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 27, 2012
Troubleshooting software and computer problems, fixing printer issues etc...
Work at Western Michigan
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 28, 2012
Everyday i would first come in to store the residents mail and distribute the mail to the residents. I answered the telephone when needed and provided daily customer service. I cleaned up my area daily and made sure everything would be in place. I learned how to be a better friendly me while on the job and enjoyed meeting new people.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2012
As a teaching assistant you are depended on to teach labs and lectures. In so doing, you are required to design, present, and grade material for a number of students ranging from 24-60. This is great experience, but when combined with the requirements for lab time that you need to do as a grad student in order to graduate, it can be very demanding. Overall I've enjoyed this time, learned a lot about teaching, and grown in my ability to relate to others.
work and life balance and job has challenge
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2012
Responsible for deploying/maintaining/troubleshooting hardware infrastructure (server, workstation and CISCO devices), software implement and configuration for entire virtual training environment (VTE), and assisting senior students in completing their hands-on lab assignments or E-Firm projects from the training program of companies.
I have learned to configure CISCO devices and deploy the configuration of servers and clients in network topology.
I have my own free time when I've done with my work, so my supervisor does not ask me how many hours I work in a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is challenge in the job. Need to create virtual training environment for E-Firm project from the training program of a company.
The hardest part of the job is to maintain hardware infrastructure, upgrade systems/software, or deploy a different virtual training environment.

About Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University (WMU) is a public university located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. The university was established – Read more

Western Michigan University Photos