Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University Employee Reviews in United States

Assisted residents who stayed in the general dorms for freshman in college.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 14, 2014
Securing the safety and comfort of residence while planning and hosting events that improved their day to day well being.
very laid back
Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2014
I would open up the car wash some days or close some days. when opening/closing you have to make sure all lights are on, motors going, everything is clean/tidy, lights on and car wash port ready. I was in the booth and on the sight by myself most the time so i had to be on top of things and make sure everything ran smooth. The hardest part was cleaning the car port at night, the easiest part was cashiering.
Pros
free car wash every week
Cons
winter time gets cold in the booth while cashiering
they provide free food and we get an off after 4hours of continuous work
Mentor (Current Employee) –  michiganJanuary 3, 2014
Though sometimes the job nature is very hectic , there are times when we are very free. I love my job as i can handle my expenses on my own without much pressure. I have learnt to work as a team and to manage my team after my experience at my school. I have been mentoring students for about a year now. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes there are some mis-communications within the team which has lead to quite a few problems. But nevertheless, it has been a wonderful experience being a part of this work ! It has made me self-confident and has also given a new dimension for my life .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very short breaks upto just 10 mins
Working Educational Experience
Kitchen Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 1, 2014
The atmosphere at Western Michigan University provided an excellent opportunity to understand the business operations conducted on a larger scale. It allowed me to understand economies of scale dealing with a large customer base. It provided valuable learning experiences that are transferable to various industries.
Pros
development opportunities
Cons
compensation
Productive and Inviting atmosphere.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 27, 2013
I am currently enjoy being an office assistant. The atmosphere is very laid back and everyone enjoys each other company. It is typically busy because student's always needed your help yesterday. We work in an environment where our mission is to help students and make sure they get what is needed to keep them successful.
Pros
enjoy working with people.
Cons
being able to help everyone with their work and no one being able to help you with yours.
The benefits were excellent with free tuition
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 31, 2013
I enjoy working in a professional business office with skill to work on special projects at the supervisor level: maintain excellent oral communication skills, problem resolution abilities, and a high level of confidentiality; extensive experience working with the general public, customer service and office support skills; enthusiastic, mature, self-reliant, hardworking disposition, and illustrate leadership and training skills.
Pros
free back rubs once a month, shoes allowance once a year
Cons
breakrooms had no windows
fun place to work get to know more college students
student assistant (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo miOctober 24, 2013
make sure the incoming college freshman have everything they need from the dorms to their classes.
Pros
free movie tickets, dinners, ropes course field trip
Cons
no overtime, only so many hours can work
Great job for a full time student.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 24, 2013
A great job to help understand the inner workings of an administrative team and what a usual day is like. Really taught how to deal and help people with their needs through helping students and parents.
Amazing Workplace
Receptionist/Security (Former Employee) –  1903 W. Michigan Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49008September 20, 2013
Coworkers were all fellow students, it was amazing getting to meet all sorts of new people.
Good University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 8, 2013
Nice place to study and work. Good work atmosphere. I learned a lot.
Teaching assistant for human anatomy
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 25, 2013
I was responsible for the laboratory portion of human anatomy, which included teaching students and ensuring they excelled in the class. I really enjoyed seeing students understand something that they previously may have struggled with. I felt like I really made an impact on a lot of students, and my student reviews were in agreement with that.
Nice Institution
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 24, 2013
Too much in-fighting for job retention. There aren't many faculty positions for minorities, so the few positions are highly contested and people stab themselves behind. The school environment is nice though and coworkers are friendly - at least on facial value. The institution, on a general note, has good vision.
Pros
you can make friends
Cons
pressure and job too demanding for the pay
College jobs
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 16, 2013
All depends on what department you work for. some departments are good and have a good work environment and some don't.
Fun work environment
Teaching & Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 13, 2013
Typical work day for a teaching assistant is varied by your class schedule. Learned more than anyone can imagine being able to teach students.
Great organization
Global Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 31, 2013
I worked with international students from all walks of life. This job enriched my life so much.
best job ever
Lab Monitor/Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2013
I loved this job. It is a very laid back environment. You get to work with great people
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
An excellent college for my Exercise Science major.
Sports Coach (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2013
The hardest part of the job was the many hours spent on homework

The most enjoyable part of the job was the vast knowledge and experiences I obtained.
Pros
flexible hours, building relationships with peers
Cons
long commute, no pay
Receptionist for the WMU Student Help (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 21, 2013
 Lifeguard at Kik Pool in Upjohn Park
 Always being physical able to perform any task at hand
 CPR and Basic health saving rescue
 Training in groups and team activities skills
Fun place to work
Gold Person Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 19, 2013
The people here made working fun and entertaining. I talked with people and gave them directions.
Supportive, low stress environment with good people and interesting work.
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2013
A typical day involved setting up the lab for the assigned experiments. For me this usually involved making agar plates, transforming and then plating yeast cultures, and running DNA through agarose gels. During downtime I worked on the presentation I was expected to give at the end of the program. Management was very hands off, and I was often left to my own devices. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly for the most part and were a great help in completing my work. The hardest part of the job was probably making all of the agar plates, just because I needed to make so many of them so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the experiments actually worked, because they often did not (a lot of trial and error was involved).
Pros
friendly people, cool equipment, within walking distance of where i lived.
Cons
small workspace.

4.4