Western New Mexico University Employee Reviews

Great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMMarch 3, 2017
Going to Western New Mexico University was a great journey my four years attending hear was great. I did not like how boring it was throughout the town.
Very profesional
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 18, 2017
I would answer phones and schedule events across campus for staff and for the community. I would would work with a team and make sure the customer was always satisfied.
Great University
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Silver City, NMJanuary 14, 2017
I have worked for this University for 10 years now. They are an absolutely wonderful group of people to work for and with. I think the standard of education there is as good as any other University in America. I think the value that students receive for their money is outstanding. Some of the best and brightest Professors teach here.
Pros
Absolutely great place to receive your education
Wonderful co-workers
Fieldwork Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMDecember 22, 2016
Fieldwork assistant is a great job that allows for flexible scheduling. I was able to work this job and attend full-time classes.
Great place to make a difference in someone's life
Director of Communications (Current Employee) –  Silver City, NMNovember 28, 2016
Co-workers are pleasant. Environment is collaborative. Projects are always exciting and there is always something to learn. Company culture is positive and inclusive.
Fun workplace with great co-workers.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Silver City, New Mexico, USANovember 16, 2016
The staff at WNMU Payroll & Human Resources Department would always be very friendly and would find solutions for all students and staff at the University.
Exceptional place to obtain experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silver City, NMOctober 25, 2016
This is not only an exceptional university to attend, but it is providing much-needed work for the students. This is a university that is not only looking out for the staff but reaches above the normal concern for the students to go the extra mile.
N/a
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMApril 13, 2016
Ever changing environment that allows for growth as a person and professional. Interesting culture that will allow for new perceptions and views in the workforce that help you grow as a person.
Fun working with college people.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMFebruary 4, 2016
Great fun working learning people how knowledgable people are. It would be great to get full time and remain in one place for a family to raise. Management is good and keep up with all duties on campus.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
It was only work study.
great
Adjunct Professor, School of Social Work (Current Employee) –  Silver City, NMJanuary 31, 2016
Great place to work and go to school. If you are looking to advance your career, check out the available online courses. There is something for everyone here.
Pros
great
Personal Trainer
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMNovember 4, 2015
I help people with exercise and fitness programs. Also help people develop healthy eating skills. I like working with people and helping them develop a high level of wellness.
Poor Leadership
Employee (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMOctober 9, 2015
Great work place with very supportive staff that are will to go that extra step to ensure that students receive a quality education while experiencing a safe learning environment.

However, too much favoritism by the administration for those willing to look the other way when it comes to ethics and integrity.
Pros
Quality Institution of Higher Education
Cons
Administration
great place for a student to work
Multi-Cultural Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMJuly 14, 2015
I enjoy this position, my hours were flexible and my supervisor taught me a lot. I enjoyed working on campus and with my peers.
Pros
on campus, close
Productive and Educational
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMJuly 10, 2015
Learning PDF Central Form would be the most enjoyable part of the day. Answering the phone and managing the front office would be challenging due to the lack of co-workers.
Pros
Needs and values were consistent with those manifested in the workplace culture.
Cons
Being hired under contract.
athletic trainer
Football and Men's Basketball Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMMay 5, 2015
there is alot to do including for football practice move everything up the day of before practice cover practice take everything back and working on all the athletes in the office before you can put anything up
Underpaid and overworked
Physical Sciences Laboratory Director (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMOctober 23, 2014
10.5 years of teaching and my last net take home check was the same as my first paycheck. The only person on campus that gets paid the average national wage is the president and a couple of his "Deans" The staff and faculty are paid roughly 65% of the national average. They justify this to our small class sizes. The campus's largest classroom only seats 95 students. Instructors are often teaching 3 or 4 subjects at a time (professors must teach 12 credits/semester). If you can't fill a class you have to teach more subjects.

Regardless of the pay, I loved my job most of the time. I taught well and received good reviews from students. I had a lab, lots of chemicals, and some modern glassware, What more do you need to have fun?

I loved teaching, The quality of the students varied from excellent to so ignorant they needed 7 grade math and basic science. I taught and weeded the good from the hopeless. I taught 8+ lab sections,a minimum of three subjects, every semester. I taught a chemistry for non-majors Lecture and lab for four years, three times a year. One semester when we didn't have a full faculty I taught 15 credits.

As a new university president started changing policies and was starting to run the university bankrupt, I left so my wife could teach middle school across the state. She was paid more than I was as a first year teacher.
Pros
Cheap school.
Cons
You get what you pay for.
Great work environment and great co-workers
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMJuly 9, 2014
Recommend for anyone looking for a great work environment and decent wages.
Very enjoyable workplace and very beneficial for all clients along with myself.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMJanuary 8, 2014
Worked with 12 seniors over a 1 year span, where I designed effective exercise programs to help each individual achieve their desired goals. This position taught me professionalism, enjoying what I do each and every day, while also expanding my knowledge of Health and Physical fitness. I enjoyed many things with this position such interacting with each client and getting to know them on a more personal level. But the most enjoyable aspect of this position was helping each client reach and surpass their goals.
Pros
great experience, meeting great individuals who impacted my life
Cons
Getting the experience and learning new things
Computer Lab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver CityNovember 25, 2013
I got full scholarship to play tennis for 4 years and I was a work-study at the same time. My day was starting at 8 a.m. and it was finishing around 11 p.m. or 8 p.m. I got many awards in tennis and I was top two players all four years. I got my degree in computer science and I learned many new things and new parts of the science that I have never seen before. I loved working with people and helping them with troubleshooting any computer problems, together with providing friendly customer care.
Productive and very active office throughout the day.
Clerk, Office Clerks, General (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMJuly 20, 2013
A typical day at work had to include: filing papers, answering phone calls, sending mail out to students, admitting future students into the school system, and checking admission statuses foe students.

Being able to work with students in person or through the phone, I had learned great communication skills. I had also learned computer skills as well.

The most enjoyable part of my job were the campus tours.