Western Oregon University Employee Reviews

Intramural
Intramural Referee (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJuly 3, 2017
I learned to have patience with employers and customers. Working as a team has been the main focus and correlates the workplace in a positive manner. The management opened my eyes to different aspects in regards to organization in work stations and the entire facility. The hardest part from this job was working with younger employees because of the maturity levels. I have a hard working mind set and compared to the other employees, the maturity wasn't at the same level. The workplace culture was positive and welcoming.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Young employees
Very fun and flexible!
STUDENT GRAPHIC DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 27, 2017
I love how flexible WOU is with their students class schedules and work schedules. Such a peaceful and helpful staff. I really enjoyed being able to pop in and work for however long I could between or after classes.
Great place to start your career
Facility Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 14, 2017
This University has a big school feel with small school numbers. Most departments are less than 50 people total. You get to know your fellow works pretty fast and make friendships faster.

There is a lot of lateral movement that can be made at this University if you get sick of doing the same job for to long.
Pros
Wholesale discount on University Classes, State Benefits.
Cons
Low Compensation, Lack of Upward Mobility
great place to work
Elementary School Tutor (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 6, 2017
I worked there during college at the admissions office in 2004. Good environment, nice co-workers, nice supervisor too. Worked here during the summer.
Easy-going and convenient
Closed Captioner (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORFebruary 2, 2017
I just worked in the video production office and captioned videos that were filmed on campus. It was an easy-going setting and since I lived on a campus at the time it was logical and convenient job.
responsibilities
President of international club (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJanuary 8, 2017
I worked as international club president, vice president, and secretary at Western Oregon University for the years I was student there. in addition to that I worked as photographer at child development center.
good organization
Education assistance SEP-work study (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJanuary 6, 2017
Depending on the department you work in, this can be an excellent University to work for. But it is difficult to get a job on campus unless you actually know someone~unfortunately
benefits
Cons
small campus and very friendly
Policy and Imaging Intern (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 4, 2016
I liked working here. The staff was always really friendly and the campus is beautiful. I always felt included and cared about. You get to know everyone you work with on a personal level.
Understanding manager with school work
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments for students to meet with their advisers. Also, I answered miscellaneous phone calls in the office.As a front desk office assistant, I checked out calculators, books, and laptops to students. I learned a lot about scheduling appointments and using the Blumen database to keep student's information organized. My co-workers were very pleasing to work with. The hardest part of the job was when the printer did not work and I ad to tell students to find printing elsewhere meanwhile I fixed the issue. The most enjoyable part of the job was smiling at students and helping them get their supplies and answering any questions they may have.
Pros
Free lunches, time to do homework on slow days
Fun work environment
Costumer service and custodian (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 2, 2016
Great learning environment. Everyday is not like the rest; easy to learn new tasks. Much room for improvement. Team work was important with the events that happened at work.
Amazing employer and student life!
Vice President / Secretary Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORMay 16, 2016
Loved my time at this institution as both a student and staff member! I would love to go back, but I took a position more north of Oregon.
Fun Place to Work
Programming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORApril 24, 2016
I have held more than one position through Student Leadership and Activities at Western Oregon University and I have enjoyed all of them. The work environment is great and I love the people I get to work with every day.
Fun place to work
Campus Dining Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORApril 4, 2016
Great Co-workers, supportive, student employment option, good place to work as a student, flexible, student friendly, summer shifts are fun
Pros
student friendly/centered
Great learning experience
Auction Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJanuary 4, 2016
This is a great company where you can gain some useful job skills for your future. A typical day including me checking email to see if i've received email confirmations of donations. Make many phone calls to donors to try and create packages to be donated.
Pros
Worked well with school schedule
Cons
did not offer many hours
A good place to work as a student
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 12, 2015
There really is no typical schedule for tutors, the hours vary by request and not very consistent.
However they allow you to schedule yourself in your free time between classes and are very understandable about time off to complete school work (as long as you schedule it at least a little ways in advance.)

Hours can vary between 0 and the maximum you sign yourself up for (hard cap at 20)

The pay is kind of low, some other jobs on campus raise the pay by a small amount every term that you work there (.25$), If I was willing to show students answers rather than make them find them for themselves I could have charged 20+ an hour privately.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high job satisfaction
Cons
Low pay
Great place to work if you are a student
Campus Employee (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 10, 2015
Great home work and life balance but that's it. My co workers were fun to chat with. Some of the full time staff were nice. The work environment needed work.
Nice people but lack of communication
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 2, 2015
The university can't seem to get out of its own way. Innovation and communication are lacking and the university needs to pay their staff better. People are extremely nice and good benefits.
Enjoyed
Camera Crew (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 19, 2015
nice, very nice. I very much enjoyed my time with Western Oregon University, and would highly recommend taking a position with this company for anyone who feels as if they want to make a meaningful contribution.
Great food ingredients, good equipment to work
Lead weekend Cook (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 9, 2015
Good benefits, fun working with students and co-workers. Excellent benefit package.My manager was very fair to emloyees, and helped out whenever needed. There were many stdents, of different ethicities, and it was very interesting learning about their cultures.
Pros
benefits, enjoyable workplace
Cons
4 10-hr. days-hard on feet and legs
decent job for a college student; my boss is great to work with however
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 6, 2015
My boss gave me the opportunity to work for him; forever grateful. Other than that, not much of a good environment comes from WOU employment.