Western Oregon University Employee Reviews

good organization
Education assistance SEP-work study (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJanuary 6, 2017
Depending on the department you work in, this can be an excellent University to work for. But it is difficult to get a job on campus unless you actually know someone~unfortunately
benefits
Cons
Understanding manager with school work
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments for students to meet with their advisers. Also, I answered miscellaneous phone calls in the office.As a front desk office assistant, I checked out calculators, books, and laptops to students. I learned a lot about scheduling appointments and using the Blumen database to keep student's information organized. My co-workers were very pleasing to work with. The hardest part of the job was when the printer did not work and I ad to tell students to find printing elsewhere meanwhile I fixed the issue. The most enjoyable part of the job was smiling at students and helping them get their supplies and answering any questions they may have.
Pros
Free lunches, time to do homework on slow days
small campus and very friendly
Policy and Imaging Intern (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 4, 2016
I liked working here. The staff was always really friendly and the campus is beautiful. I always felt included and cared about. You get to know everyone you work with on a personal level.
Fun work environment
Costumer service and custodian (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJune 2, 2016
Great learning environment. Everyday is not like the rest; easy to learn new tasks. Much room for improvement. Team work was important with the events that happened at work.
Fun Place to Work
Programming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORApril 24, 2016
I have held more than one position through Student Leadership and Activities at Western Oregon University and I have enjoyed all of them. The work environment is great and I love the people I get to work with every day.
Amazing employer and student life!
Vice President / Secretary Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORMay 16, 2016
Loved my time at this institution as both a student and staff member! I would love to go back, but I took a position more north of Oregon.
Fun place to work
Campus Dining Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORApril 4, 2016
Great Co-workers, supportive, student employment option, good place to work as a student, flexible, student friendly, summer shifts are fun
Pros
student friendly/centered
Great learning experience
Auction Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJanuary 4, 2016
This is a great company where you can gain some useful job skills for your future. A typical day including me checking email to see if i've received email confirmations of donations. Make many phone calls to donors to try and create packages to be donated.
Pros
Worked well with school schedule
Cons
did not offer many hours
A good place to work as a student
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 12, 2015
There really is no typical schedule for tutors, the hours vary by request and not very consistent.
However they allow you to schedule yourself in your free time between classes and are very understandable about time off to complete school work (as long as you schedule it at least a little ways in advance.)

Hours can vary between 0 and the maximum you sign yourself up for (hard cap at 20)

The pay is kind of low, some other jobs on campus raise the pay by a small amount every term that you work there (.25$), If I was willing to show students answers rather than make them find them for themselves I could have charged 20+ an hour privately.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high job satisfaction
Cons
Low pay
Fun and Engaging Tutoring Jobs
Psychology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OregonOctober 5, 2015
I really loved tutoring for WOU. You could pick your own schedules and those hours were flexible. The work environment was friendly and accommodating.

The best part about this job was the ability to use the skills learned in the classroom and apply them to real teaching opportunities. It really gave me a more in-depth understanding of the topics when I was able to teach them to another. The hardest part about my job was sometimes dealing with students who wanted me to do their homework for them and also not always getting a lot of hours as your hours are determined by how many people request you as a tutor.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Great food ingredients, good equipment to work
Lead weekend Cook (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 9, 2015
Good benefits, fun working with students and co-workers. Excellent benefit package.My manager was very fair to emloyees, and helped out whenever needed. There were many stdents, of different ethicities, and it was very interesting learning about their cultures.
Pros
benefits, enjoyable workplace
Cons
4 10-hr. days-hard on feet and legs
Happy environment surrounded with people who share similar life goals
WRITING TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORAugust 1, 2015
Working at WOU as a writing tutor proved an ideal job for me in that I had the opportunity to practice and improve my own writing skills through helping people with theirs. Additionally, I learned how to design my own webpage, a job requirement. Through tutoring, creating my own page, and being surrounded with people who were striving to be successful in writing like myself, I felt very fortunate for my position in the Writing Center.
Nice people but lack of communication
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 2, 2015
The university can't seem to get out of its own way. Innovation and communication are lacking and the university needs to pay their staff better. People are extremely nice and good benefits.
A great position in a supportive environment, with the possibility of tenure.
Assistant Professor of Music (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORApril 26, 2015
My position at WOU could hardly be a better fit for me. While I was hired to develop a new audio production program and oversee a new recording facility, I am also able to teach historical performance practice and direct and ensemble that specializes in renaissance and baroque music - the field in which I earned my doctorate.
Pros
Teaching in my areas of interest and expertise
Cons
remote location
A great community in which to work
Director Academic Affairs/Assistant to Provost (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORMay 12, 2015
Great people and work. I have never been more satisfied with the work.

My only complaint would be that equality of pay was lacking for women academic officers.
Pros
Most fiscally sound institution in the State of Oregon University system.
Cons
Distrust between administration and faculty after years of contention with union.
Enjoyed
Camera Crew (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 19, 2015
nice, very nice. I very much enjoyed my time with Western Oregon University, and would highly recommend taking a position with this company for anyone who feels as if they want to make a meaningful contribution.
Great place to work if you are a student
Campus Employee (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORNovember 10, 2015
Great home work and life balance but that's it. My co workers were fun to chat with. Some of the full time staff were nice. The work environment needed work.
Entertaining and Fitting Workplace
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJuly 15, 2015
I attended events around campus and then wrote about them in order for readers to also share my experience. When I wrote, I wanted the audience to get a sense of actually being where I was. In result, I put a lot of effort and time in to writing my articles. I also created for the comic section. I made the comic funny and apply to college life, making it relate-able. I learned how to form sentences that are concise, but while still keeping my voice. The management and I worked well together, but they did not give me very many hours because of over-staffing. I knew and was amiable with my coworkers because I also attended university with them. The hardest part of the job was stepping outside of my comfort zone to approach people for interviews. This helped me become more of an extrovert. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to produce works in my own style and voice.
Pros
Writing time
Cons
Not enough hours
decent job for a college student; my boss is great to work with however
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, OROctober 6, 2015
My boss gave me the opportunity to work for him; forever grateful. Other than that, not much of a good environment comes from WOU employment.
Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORMarch 13, 2014
A typical day as a web assistant starts off with updating the activities calendar. After that I would ask each of the professional staff if they had anything for me to work on, or I would continue a project that I had already started. The professional staff were great, they were very welcoming and friendly. The hardest part of the job was making sure everything was up to date every single day. The most enjoyable part was when I would finally figure out how to do something complicated on Dreamweaver. Because this was an on-campus job for students, I was able to work my schedule around my classes and work from home when needed.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not very many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Oregon University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4