Western Paper Distributors Employee Reviews

This is where life stands still
Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2018
Deciding to work at Western Paper is deciding to stop all forward progress in life. There are no advancement opportunities, poor pay increases, no social interaction, no education, no networking, and no creativity. For the most part all you deal with is negativity and problems. There's a reason the turnover rate is so high and nobody talks to one another.

The hardest part about this job is finding the motivation to go each day. The second hardest part is faking the inevitable conversation with a senior manager. It's a tortuous experience.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you finally make a friend and you can make fun of the company with them.
Pros
We are allowed to decorate our cubicles during Christmas
Cons
Everything else. Really, this is a bad place to work.
Excellent oportunity to advance my carrer in management
General Mgr (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 28, 2017
Given the chance to open up and launch a new Branch in the New Mexico market.
I hired all employees at this branch.
Developed a large customer base and secured long term buiness accounts as the Sales Manager.
Good company to start your career
GL Accountant/Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2017
Good company to start your career. They are willing to hire just about anyone and they will teach you anything you want to know but it is only taught there way. They use to have lots of turnovers.
October 12, 2017

Western Paper is a GREAT place to start your career, and hopefully build your career over the next few years. We work to promote from within because current team members already know about the company and industry when they promote.

As far as hiring just about anyone, I think you'll find that we are pretty selective. But once you get in the door, I think you'll love it here!

A place with lot of turn over
Warehouse-Order Puller - Warehouse Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2017
Busy and chaotic
How to organize product
Did not always to criticism for supervisor errors
non compliant
Getting everyone to do their jobs
can't say anything I enjoyed
Pros
No pros, just a job
Cons
disorganization
October 12, 2017

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Western Paper.

As with any organization, we have areas to improve in, and we rely on our team members to help us improve by doing a great job, making suggestions on how to get better, and building relationships with their team members to make work fun AND productive.

I wish you the best in your future.

Entry level job
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Montbello, COMay 3, 2017
This is an ok stepping stone to get to your next job. There are things to learn, but very limited advancement opportunities. Don't expect to find a mentor or leader. Most people, even managers it seems, have another job because the pay is not sufficient.
October 12, 2017

Western Paper is a great place to build some skills, and we hope that you will use those skills at Western Paper, but we also understand that sometimes we will help you prepare for another company. And when that happens, we always wish you the best for the next chapter of your career.

Great company culture, horrid bully employees...
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2017
Do not work for this company if you apply for the sales support division. They are a small team of 4-5 young know it alls that will bully you, record your conversations with their cell phones and steal access to your emails while discussing them between themselves and make very horrible remarks.

The ceo is a great guy and the company is a good company to work for - very employee geared.. However that one department ruins the whole thing.
October 12, 2017

Part of accepting a job is making sure the company is a good fit for you, just like the company works to make sure you are a good fit for the company. And sometimes that doesn't work out.

I agree that the CEO is a great guy, and we work hard to make the company a great place to work, in all departments. I'm sorry your experience wasn't as positive as we would like.

Of course, as these things come up, one of the most important things you can do is to reach out to your manager or another leader at the company to help address or help you navigate whatever challenges you are experiencing. I hope that your next position is a better experience for you.

Good People, good culture, too big for its britches some days
Issure Resolution (Current Employee) –  DenverApril 11, 2017
I've been working at Western Paper for some years now. While it's an excellent place to start and grow your abilities and connections, you have to realize that the company slings cleaning supplies, toiletries, and everything one could think of that an EVS department or Janitorial company could dream of. If this is not your dream, that's ok you'll learn to love it, or not. The company works with hundreds of vendors to distribute products across multiple states. To be fair, the company is doing really well and has experienced tremendous growth due the hard work of good and talented people. I can not stress that enough. While individual managers/department heads can be a real pleasure to work for, others are possibly less so and I'm not sure senior management is as connected as they should be. While they do make attempts and do small things to reward employees that work hard, inter-departmental challenges persist and long standing issues remain a consistent thorn reducing efficiency and creating frustrations. I'd like to temper that statement with the fact that there is so much work to be done; the company is growing and there is often just not enough time in the day. Pay seems appropriate but it's not entirely sufficient for the cost of living in the area, but not unreasonable. Raises and promotions are normal for people who can come and and get their job done. Bonus money for completing extra tasks. I'd really rate the company a 3.7 overall.
Pros
good people, good culture, an excellent place to learn an industry
Cons
Slightly under paid for cost of living/can't keep good staff as a result
Great solid job
ITEM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2017
Very organized and driven company that is growing rapidly. A little behind on the pay but they make up for it in training and support.
Work Life
Shipping Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2016
I found my time at Western Paper Distribution to be very beneficial and an amazing learning experience. However I am looking for more growth within a company and the chance to advance further.I found the management to have my best interest at heart and the company very employee oriented.
Dynamic position/poor management of sales team
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2015
My typical day involved scheduling appointments, performing follow up and cold calls, planning weekly visits, picking up product for customers, managing emails,researching product, handling and executing customer orders, etc.

Overall job duties included developing new business, managing and growing existing business; brokering with vendors; submitting customer orders; daily and weekly visits with customers in large territory; weekly meetings with sales manager; researching value product lines for customers; problem solving with supply chain issues; appointment setting and meeting coordination; picking up product/delivery for customers; brokering with service technicians for equipment installed; etc.

I learned that poor management is not an option for me in sales. If management is not supportive it can be very distracting. The lack of good leadership in sales management breeds negativity and distrust in an otherwise dynamic and positive sales environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people on a daily basis and building good relationships with my customers!
Culture of Western Paper
Non stock buyer (Former Employee) –  Denver, CoAugust 13, 2015
Very stable and growing business, but unless you are in sales you won't be making the big bucks. They do have some room to grow in the company, but not much. Low pay compared to other companies in the Denver area
An excellent starting point.
Order Entry Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoJune 3, 2015
This company is a fabulous place to learn all aspects of business. Upper management is keenly aware of their employees strengths and routinely allow people from all levels of the company a voice. Every day there is an opportunity contribute to the success of the company.

There is a clear emphasis on training and employee development which is evident in their hiring practices. The recruiting department puts a lot of effort into finding smart, trainable and promotable people which the managers develop for more advanced roles.
Loved it
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2015
Loved the people that worked there. Always made an effort to reach out to me. Provided a stable work enviroment. Delivered store to store.
Very produvtive and fun place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2014
The job itself was great. Living in denver,co was unexpectedly cold. So cold, the weather drove me back to good old california faster than I left for a new change.
Pros
Long luches sometime
Cons
Job located in denver, Co
Great place to work!
Customer Service Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2012
Highly enjoyed working here, great leadership staff, work closely with owners- humble at that!

Great place to work at, fantastic people, no one is micromanaging your every second, pleasant place to work, would go back if I lived in Colorado!
Pros
hour lunches, great people to work with, great organization.
Cons
pay increase could be better- but at least they do provide annual evaluations to receive them!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Paper Distributors. Our community is ready to answer.

Western Paper Distributors Reviews by Location