Western Refining Employee Reviews

Work was enjoyable and I learned my job responsiblities on the jo.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, NMMay 16, 2017
Duties varied from daily filing, billing, research outstanding invoices and complete monthly close out for billing. I worked with other personnel to research and closeout outstanding invoices.

Daily data entry was required for this job. Job was fun and did a lot of work independently.
Poor Management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMay 16, 2017
Typical night was full of alcohol sales and cleaning.
The management was lacking on two different levels which created friction and discontent between the working crew.
Many employees did not have much trouble between each other but there was a problem employee that stressed the rest of the staff.
The hardest part of the job was making sure alcohol did not wind up in the hands of the intoxicated, through sales or shoplifting.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the weekly pay and benefits.
Pros
Free fountain drinks and coffee with your own cup.
Cons
No breaks.
Loved my job
Warehouse Operations Supervisor / Tank Driver (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 11, 2017
I loved working there. i was very disappointed when they closed. Everyone worked well together. it was a happy work environment. ....................
It had a carwash
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 30, 2017
Busy but comfortable workplace with lots of locals can be fast pace at times of the day but calms down at night most people are friendly and make the day pleasant
Pros
Same People
Cons
Schedule
awesome job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 29, 2017
job is very good when it comes to pay wise. as soon as your done with your training, you get a rise. as long as you are doing your job, this job treats you well.
Micro-managed
Pipeline Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMApril 27, 2017
Maintenance is the worst treated in the company. Manager doesn't take care of southern crew. Driving trucks that are unsafe. Pay scale is messed up, very low wages.
Pros
Tesoro, fellow employees, benefits
Cons
No incentives, management, pay
This company sucks
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMApril 8, 2017
Theses stores need new store managers. They treated there employees unfairly. I would rather be jobless them to work for that company again. Unless your a kiss butt to the store manager or to the assistant manager your not going to be treated fairly.
To many tasks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmingron, NmApril 6, 2017
They give you to many tasks to complete during your shift and then get upset when you don't have time to complete them because you were busy helping customers. Which in a customer service job your main priority should be the customer.
Great benefits
Credit Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 30, 2017
Great company to work for. Enjoyed the great benefits, company was sold and new owners are Tesoro. Great work environment, donated to many local charities,
Excellent Company
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 23, 2017
I am the only credit administrator for the credit department in the Tempe location. I work with a great team. Management has been very helpful and encouraging with my goals that I have set for myself within the company. I have learned to be independent with my daily tasks and learn to take ownership. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that my employer believes in my work ethic and what I can achieve on a daily basis.
management
Cashier and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Kirtland, NMMarch 6, 2017
while working at western refining for 3 years i liked it so much i had an awesome work area, enjoyed my work and fellow employees and customers, but i didn't agree to my boss she never answered her phone calls when we had to miss work due to emergency, as for me i had to call in during a night shift i tired calling and texted my boss more than 10 times that night and no respond, i also called the assistant manager she always answered but told me to call her first and i explain my situation about getting in contact with her.and the assistant manager told me to get a hold of another employee to work for you.so i did and that employee didn't show up, the next day i got discharge for no show, and i had proof to show but the manager didn't want it and the assistant t told her she gave me permission to miss work. i left the work place and 3 months later the manager got fired for not answering her phone to an important situation that occurred during night shift.
Pros
good work area, customers
Cons
breaks
Western Refining
CORPORATE COMPLIANCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 3, 2017
It is a small to medium sizes company with a lot of management at the top. The culture is very intimidating and the ability to move up in the company was difficult.

The salaries are very good with profit sharing bonuses if all goals are met.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No advancement
Many Responsiblities
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 1, 2017
Busy day starting at 5am. Daily paperwork, checked in venders, reconciled prior business day, balanced invoices, responded to corporate emails, ordering using build-to books, daily inventory, highest level given for customer service, employee management, etc. etc., etc.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No days off
Great co workers and and enjoyable environment, open company meetings
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2017
Busy and very challenging, allowed learning curve to learn business. Enjoyed suggestions in open meetings, and very pleasurable to even able to have open meetings.
Pros
Great boss, great co worker attitudes
Cons
Healthcare
Wnr
Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 29, 2017
This company was a great company to work for. Some people are worried about job security due to the acquisition. Landing a job at Tesoro without relocating would be a plus.
Pros
Great people, great benefits, great work life balance
Cons
Job security
This placed help me.
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMJanuary 25, 2017
This place helped me learn a lot and I would hope that everyone who visits a store under the company of Western Refining to enjoy their experience there and be a valued customer for years to come.
Fast pace working environment and developing relationships with customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 24, 2017
During the work days was very fast pace working environment and it was very educational about cash handling skills. It involved constant restocking and customer communication interaction. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who would steal alcohol from the store and there was nothing we could do about it due to complications through the company. All we could do was call the non emergency number and give them a description of the person, the direction they took off in and the type of vehicle they were driving. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing a professional work relationship with some of the customers that eventually became regulars at the store.
Pros
Overtime and Holiday pay
Cons
No lunch breaks, my hours were insane and days off weren't together
Wonderful Place
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 18, 2017
Was a great balance of work and family life. They always had something new to try or do. Thus company was in the public doing good for the community. I got to volunteer for a lot of great charities while working there.
fun and mid paced job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 18, 2017
During my employment at Western Refining I work all shifts available even a graveyard and ill have to admit it was pretty fun. You always have something to do even if you are at down hours. great people to work with and they even give you the opportunity to learn how the gas pumps work.
productive
Warehouse-Rail Car Operator/Logistics' Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85009January 10, 2017
always learning something new on a daily basis, my time with them was extraordinary. most part is that they had amazing management as well as good work ethics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Refining. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval