Western State Hospital

Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

positive professional work environment offering opportunity for growth
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Staunton, VAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: rewarding work experience
Cons: can be taxing at times
providing individualized, safe, and therapeutic comprehensive nursing care services to a client population facing varied psychosocial challenges in a recovery focused environment
Very productive
Patient Aide (Current Employee), Hopkinsville, KYJune 12, 2015
Pros: hour lunch, every other weekend off
Cons: Pay
Great place to work if you can handle unpredictable patient behaviors. Typical day at work is doing rounds when you arrive and every 15 minutes after that (staff take turns). Take vital & record vitals. etc
Internship
Internship Medical Office/ Medical Records (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2015
Pros: State Benefits
Cons: short lunches, dangerous environment working with the patients
I enjoyed working in the Admitting ward as a Medical office intern and also the Health Information Management applying what I learned in my studies Tacoma Community College.
Registered Nurse, Center for Forensics (Current Employee), Steilacoom, WAMay 1, 2015
Overall is a good place to work for psychiatric nursing experience in an inpatient facility . Good benefits and retirement. May be difficult at times with patients but is fulfilling to help with this population.
Overworked, underpaid, no weekends or holidays off.
Cook 1 (Current Employee), Lakewood, WAApril 13, 2015
Physically demanding job. Learned how important time management is when providing meals for 900+ patients. The hardest part of the job was be witness to the lack of respect for the management.
It's rough
Patient Aide (Current Employee), Hopkinsville, KYApril 7, 2015
Pros: Some of the patients are great, and the bad conditions will make you the best friends you will ever meet
Cons: You are over worked, underappreciated, and it's very dangerous at times
This place used to be fun to work at but has quickly plummeted into a gut wrenching pit of dread. It is understaffed with a high census, and that hasn't changed in over a year. You will not advance or get a raise by doing a good job, only used more in bad conditions.
learning and wothwhile experience
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAFebruary 25, 2015
Everyday in the work place is an experience. A learning agenda be it considered a not too good of a day, learning from it and try to avoid same error for personal or group. Take every minute important and without a minute wasted. Co-workers are part of the team that their in put and suggestions should be an important solutions if necessary to the accomplishments of the place. The hardest part of the job if there are conflict that are unsolved. Peace and understanding amongst the team.
Poor work environment
Fiscal Specialist (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAFebruary 23, 2015
Cons: too many
Western State Hospital is not a good company to work for because if you get injury or hurt at work they fire you, and they are not sympathetic if you or any of your family members are sick, they will deny you time off to take care of your family members.
LOVE LOVE LOVE
environmental services (Former Employee), lakewood, waFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: nada
A typical day at work was to clean. Sanitizing, buffing, waxing, stripping, sweeping, mopping, being included in union stuff, I learned a lot at this job like how to use certain equipment, a lot about being around patients, how to strip and re-seal floors, how to wax, buff, etc. I loved working with my co-workers because i absolutely loved my job. no hard parts about this job...well maybe when patients would get in the way of us being able to work. :)
Summary
PHYCE AIDE (Former Employee), Staunton, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: good state benefits
Cons: dangerous job
PNA - physic aide
charting, one on one with patients
My job her was to assist patients with their daily routine, doctor appointments, transferring patients to physical therapy. Going on trips with the patients, assisting in groups/ classes
And TOVA if needed, for patients that had to be restrained, to not harm themselves other patients or staff
job is good..... management terrible
Pna (Former Employee), StauntonJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: forced to work 4 to 8 hours overtime at least two days a week terrible upper management
er PNA....the job itself can be very stressful yet rewarding working with the patients isnt as hard as it May seem ...that is if you can get over the constant mandatory overtime with the scheduler threatening your job everyday if you don't agree to stay and the overbearing RN'S , the staff that have been there for years and years some of them are awesome others will stab you in the back in a heartbeat the upper management plays favorites and cares nothing about their staff, the PNA'S that is, they must not realize without them the entire hospital would go to s*** even more so than what it already has.most of the coordinators for the wards and the Assistant Director of Nursing will lie and do anything to get you in trouble if they don't like you . if they could fix upper management and give raises where they are due this would not be a bad place to work however save yourself DONT DO IT (especially if you have a license as the patients there can make up lies and they believe the patient no matter what unless it's on camera then you lose your license)
Patient service assistant
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee), Hopkinsville, KYNovember 19, 2014
Pros: being able to help people that are in need
Provided assistant to patients helping them with daily living skills
Filing of paperwork, operation of office equipment, data entry and organization of charts
Too much overtime
Human Services Care Specialist (Former Employee), Staunton, VANovember 14, 2014
The turnover rate is huge because you are expected to work hours and hours of mandated overtime
Fun and helpful place
Information Support Specialist (Current Employee), Hopkinsville, KYOctober 29, 2014
I love working here and learning about mental illnesses and disorders. I've learned much about these areas.

The hardest part of the job is my hours and the benefits or the lack of benefits and advancement.
Patient Aide I (Current Employee), Hopkinsville KYOctober 5, 2014
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: health care
Typical day at work is taking care and helping patient. Employee's want as team player to insure the care and safed of our patient.
always gets the job done.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Hopkinsville, KYSeptember 28, 2014
I am a 24 year old female who is a hard worker and always get my work done on time. I am a sociable person and very easy to get along with. I work very well with others or independently if needed. My work schedule is flexible and will take any available position. I can multi-task and learn new traits quickly and put them into effect immediately. I have a positive work attitude, effective time management skills, superior attendance, adapts to changing assignments well and with positive attitude.
complex but rewarding job
Clinical Risk Reviewer (Current Employee), Lakewood, WAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: unionized employment
Better than average pay but lots of state hassles. Very slow processes, department in flux at this time so really not sure who is managing.
Fulfilling and rewarding.
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 29, 2014
Pros: the bond with my co-workers and employee's, meeting new employee's, learning new things everyday because of state changes.
Cons: non-perm position.
High End data entry, I was in charge of 286 employee's Paychecks.
Input of over time, sick leave and personal leave accruals and adjustments as needed per pay period, Prepare fiscal reports, input information of new hires into DSHS Personnel systems. Enroll new hires into the Health Care Authority system and adjust current employee's changes to HCA. Answering a high volume of calls and E-mail's, Faxing, Scanning, and Copying. Maintain and update Filling, Inventory, Mailing and Database Systems.
being a Fiscal Tech 2 was very rewarding in many ways as I learned a great deal about communication, Time utilization, and Customer Service. I had approximately 15 co-workers whom I enjoyed seeing on a daily basis we, as Fiscal Tech's had a very stressful dedication to make sure our employee's payroll and leave compensations were completed accurately and by State deadlines. This at times would put high pressure in the office, but we all knew we would pull through as a team. The hardest part of being a Fiscal Tech at WSH would have been when a co-worker would call in for time off when it was close to payroll cut-off, this would cause us in the office to come together and make sure the absent person's payroll was completed before the State system locked us out. (Each FT was in charge of 250-300 employee's payroll)
The most enjoyable part of my job at WSH was the feeling of accomplishment twice a month every month, knowing my employee's were happy and they knew I would do what ever it took to get the job done accurately and on time every time and they appreciated it.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from WSH. Terrible place to work! You have been warned!
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Staunton, VaMarch 23, 2014
Pros: state benefits if you get hired full time.
Cons: no job security, mandated overtime, dangerous situations, controlling and deceiving supervisors, no advancement
Western State Hospital in Staunton, Va is a terrible place to work. Please do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It might not be so bad if you are an RN, or even an LPN, but the the nursing assistants get treated like dirt by the supervisors and by the administration. The job of working with psychiatric patients is difficult and dangerous enough, but supervisors, co-workers and administration make it much worse. The gossip among employees, as well as the backstabbing mentality of the employees is horrible. The scheduling of staff is completely inadequate, and as a nursing assistant you will be mandated to work overtime( mostly double shifts) to cover holes in the schedule. The hospital does not care if you have family obligations or not. Patient aggression is often escalated by some RNs, and employees get hurt as a result of this. Employees, especially RNs, are often bullied by their peers. The administration play favorites, and gossip about employees in an inappropriate manner. One Assistant Director of Nursing in particular is especially guilty. These are only a few issues. I could go on and on. I worked there as a nursing assistant for five years and had good evaluations consistently. There is also no chance for promotion.
Good to learn the health care industry in large scale.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: many lives impacted by the interaction.
Cons: lots of agency red tape.
Everyday was something new, daily routines had some texture and learning of individuality - interaction of cognitive entities. Was purely and extended team environment, all striving to optimize a set plan of treatment goals within a medical physiomechanical regimen.

1 2 3

About Western State Hospital

The common good of the Commonwealth of Virginia falls under the purview of the Office of the Governor. The office is responsible – Read more

Western State Hospital Salaries