Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

excellent state facility!
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAApril 22, 2017
It was amazing to work here! The training they provide to each employee is thorough and takes you a long way. There is always the opportunity for overtime and advancement.
Productive and fun
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAApril 12, 2017
A typical day at work is fairly relaxing. I learned how to make foods according to patient needs and run machines in sanitation. Management is very flexible and helpful. The workplace culture is very laid back and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is lifting; some things are heavy. The most enjoyable part of the job was being P-14 and getting time off as needed.
Pros
several breaks
Cons
work holidays
Good benefits and job security.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 7, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to help provide a clean and comfortable living place for residents. Some of these residents could become upset or even violent which would make the day hard. Management was okay but not great. The culture could be strained at times because union helped keep employees that did not perform full duties and others would have to pickup the work.
Pros
Medical, sick leave, vacation and pension
Cons
Union could be counter productive.
Dangerous place to work
Registered nurse/ Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMarch 21, 2017
When I was hired they told me there would be security there to help us when patients got out of hand. This was a lie. during the time I was there I was attack by a patient and at that time we did not have any security. There was also another nurse attacked during that time and she was in a coma the last time I asked about her.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
Dangerous place to work
Might not want to work here.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 7, 2017
You work with all kinds of mental patients. You will probably be assaulted at some point. Males are expected to run all over the hospital to restrain patients.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Extremely poor management
Terrible place to work
Patient aide 2 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMarch 7, 2017
Bad atmosphere with no team work. Worked there almost 10 years and left on a good note and didn't want to hire me back without issues. Never again will I suggest someone work there.
Community Services = Great Department
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 23, 2017
My direct management was the best! There was now typical day-there was always something new or different to to which made the day go by fast.
Workplace culture was very friendly. It was difficult adjusting to working for the government. I was not use to the thumb on you - part of the job i.e.; ordering supplies, running an errands etc.
Leaving was probably the hardest part of the job. I was promised a raise and didn't receive it. Resigned because of this. I am a person of principle. If you say your going to do something then do it!
Pros
Great supervisor, intersting job, friendly staff
Cons
The benifits contract or government were not good
Bullying
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 6, 2017
I love working with my patients at Western State Hospital. Psychiatric facilities are notorious for being difficult to work in. In this case, it's not the patients that are the problem, it's the staff. Upper management does not care about the problems among the staff. There is constant bullying that goes on, the managers know and do nothing about it. Another problem is staffing. We are always short staffed. RNs are basically the manager of the unit. The unit is usually staffed with one RN, one LPN, and 2-3 Patient Aides. The unit generally has 12-18 patients on it and the RN can be in charge of 2-3 units at a time. The nurse to patient ratio is unsafe and the staffing numbers are unsafe.
Fast pace
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJanuary 10, 2017
Great learning experience. Learn more about my capabilities each day.
Been there for 11 years and there were good and bad days
Best learning experience
COTA Student (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 3, 2017
Great atmosphere to provide a true difference in patients and co-workers. Worked in Competency Restoration and I had a great supervisor who taught me in-depth about the daily responsibilities.
Good chance to learn psychiatric hospital work.
Clerk-Typist II (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WADecember 14, 2016
Took minutes of meetings of psychiatric assessment team; typed letters, psychiatric assessments, and other paperwork as necessary. Relieved Admissions Clerk occasionally. Transcribed assessment tapes; typed legal documents; made followup calls to the community upon patient release to community.
Pros
Good expience in psychiatric hospital setting.
Cons
None.
Making a difference in peoples lives
CNA/MHT (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 13, 2016
Best Bennies in town, great group of people to work with. Management is pretty fair and supportive. Its a challenging environment but, rewarding.
Nice place
Patient Specialist Aid (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 30, 2016
Good place to start for patient care. When nothing else is available in the emergency fields of your area. Or if you are just getting out of high school/ college and want some sort of clinical experience
Productive and fun
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 24, 2016
A typical work day would be calling in to see what ward you are working in. I am usually on the Geriatrics ward, I help change patients and help with their transfer and mental health. I mostly do 1:1
Challenging place to work
Patient Support Aide/ Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 17, 2016
Its an ok place to work. Some days can be trying than others but the pay is good and you are constantly rotated so you are not with the same patients everyday which, can be a redundant.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment
This is a horrible place to work. Supervisor are incompetent and safety for staff and patients is less than adaquate
Psychology Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2016
This is a dangerous working environment. If you work with patients you will eventially be assaulted or under investigation with management. There is a great deal of retaliation from co-workers and supervisors.
I loved my job. Helping those that couldnt do for themselves..
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 20, 2016
Working for this company was an experience.. Gaining report with the patients, assisting in the kitchen and setting up dinner for the clients. My job was something that fit me! I was validating feelings and defusing certain situations that made me feel important as well as the patients.
Enjoyed working there
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 24, 2016
Enjoyed working there and want to go back. Left due to illness. employees and leadership was fun to work with. Learned a lot in a little time and enjoyed working with my patients.
loved this job
Social Worker I (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KY 42240August 10, 2016
I loved the job working with Mental Health patients. They treated me like their family instead of just someone who worked there! I would recommend this place to anyone!
Great staff willing to help out when needed.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 17, 2016
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.