Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Community Services = Great Department
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 23, 2017
My direct management was the best! There was now typical day-there was always something new or different to to which made the day go by fast.
Workplace culture was very friendly. It was difficult adjusting to working for the government. I was not use to the thumb on you - part of the job i.e.; ordering supplies, running an errands etc.
Leaving was probably the hardest part of the job. I was promised a raise and didn't receive it. Resigned because of this. I am a person of principle. If you say your going to do something then do it!
Pros
Great supervisor, intersting job, friendly staff
Cons
The benifits contract or government were not good
Bullying
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 6, 2017
I love working with my patients at Western State Hospital. Psychiatric facilities are notorious for being difficult to work in. In this case, it's not the patients that are the problem, it's the staff. Upper management does not care about the problems among the staff. There is constant bullying that goes on, the managers know and do nothing about it. Another problem is staffing. We are always short staffed. RNs are basically the manager of the unit. The unit is usually staffed with one RN, one LPN, and 2-3 Patient Aides. The unit generally has 12-18 patients on it and the RN can be in charge of 2-3 units at a time. The nurse to patient ratio is unsafe and the staffing numbers are unsafe.
Fast pace
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJanuary 10, 2017
Great learning experience. Learn more about my capabilities each day.
Been there for 11 years and there were good and bad days
Best learning experience
COTA Student (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 3, 2017
Great atmosphere to provide a true difference in patients and co-workers. Worked in Competency Restoration and I had a great supervisor who taught me in-depth about the daily responsibilities.
Good chance to learn psychiatric hospital work.
Clerk-Typist II (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WADecember 14, 2016
Took minutes of meetings of psychiatric assessment team; typed letters, psychiatric assessments, and other paperwork as necessary. Relieved Admissions Clerk occasionally. Transcribed assessment tapes; typed legal documents; made followup calls to the community upon patient release to community.
Pros
Good expience in psychiatric hospital setting.
Cons
None.
Making a difference in peoples lives
CNA/MHT (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 13, 2016
Best Bennies in town, great group of people to work with. Management is pretty fair and supportive. Its a challenging environment but, rewarding.
Nice place
Patient Specialist Aid (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 30, 2016
Good place to start for patient care. When nothing else is available in the emergency fields of your area. Or if you are just getting out of high school/ college and want some sort of clinical experience
Productive and fun
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 24, 2016
A typical work day would be calling in to see what ward you are working in. I am usually on the Geriatrics ward, I help change patients and help with their transfer and mental health. I mostly do 1:1
Challenging place to work
Patient Support Aide/ Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 17, 2016
Its an ok place to work. Some days can be trying than others but the pay is good and you are constantly rotated so you are not with the same patients everyday which, can be a redundant.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment
This is a horrible place to work. Supervisor are incompetent and safety for staff and patients is less than adaquate
Psychology Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2016
This is a dangerous working environment. If you work with patients you will eventially be assaulted or under investigation with management. There is a great deal of retaliation from co-workers and supervisors.
I loved my job. Helping those that couldnt do for themselves..
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 20, 2016
Working for this company was an experience.. Gaining report with the patients, assisting in the kitchen and setting up dinner for the clients. My job was something that fit me! I was validating feelings and defusing certain situations that made me feel important as well as the patients.
Enjoyed working there
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 24, 2016
Enjoyed working there and want to go back. Left due to illness. employees and leadership was fun to work with. Learned a lot in a little time and enjoyed working with my patients.
loved this job
Social Worker I (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KY 42240August 10, 2016
I loved the job working with Mental Health patients. They treated me like their family instead of just someone who worked there! I would recommend this place to anyone!
Great staff willing to help out when needed.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 17, 2016
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
no benefits
not so bad
Psychiatric security attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 26, 2016
The people you work with really make the difference in your time there. I loved everyone i worked with including all my patients. But sometimes you go home not being able to think about anything else except what happened at work that day. For me the commute was too far or else i probably would stay. There is a serious risk for assault (most of the time it is preventable) always be aware of your surroundings and know your patients. I've never had any troubles, but it's a reality when you work at a place such as this.
Pros
decent pay and opportunity for overtime not physically demanding
Cons
mentally draining risk for injury
WSH has been an invaluable experience
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day for me at Western State Hospital includes serving the clients breakfast and then assisting them with ADL's before escorting them to their groups for the morning. Once the clients return at 11 lunch is then served. The clients then go to groups for the afternoon and return around 3pm. Sometimes I take clients to their appointments if indicated. My coworkers and I work as a team to accomplish our assignments. Working as a team facilitates our daily tasks. The hardest part of this job is trying to help the clients when they are uncooperative. The best part of the job is seeing the clients get discharged because they are now ready to be back in their community. Working at WSH has taught me more about mental health and how important it is.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Getting mandated excessively
good insurance
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 11, 2016
The only good part about working there was the good insurance. Depending on where I was placed to work, some staff were awesome while others were not as much. Working on-call sucked because I would come to work and I would be told that there isn't a spot for me to work at that day. Or I would have to come in for the other shift to work. When I would be put into a spot to work for the shift, I could be changed to different parts of the hospital up to 4 times per shift. It was horrible.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
working on call sucks because of no stability
not a good place to work
Patient Support Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 21, 2015
tipical day doing basic nursing skills I hated working for exitthis mental hospital patients or staff were not treated fair this hospital wasnin the state of KY and a lot of things
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
unfair and dangerous place to work
Very difficult to get time off. You must request annual leave a year in advance.
RN Supervisor/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAOctober 20, 2015
Currently Western State Hospital is experiencing difficulty hiring and maintaining nursing staff. This has resulted in difficulty for staff to get time off, causing further difficulty with staff retention. Wage compensation is on par with community.
Pros
Good wage compensation
Cons
Difficulty to get unscheduled time off.
co-workers
PNA (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAOctober 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working with people, it make me feel great about my self. I've always worked with individual with mental illness. I feel that I can play a major roll in getting them back to almost normal life. Teaching them how to do proper hygiene skills, making their bed,dressing appropriate for the weather, brushing their teeth, feeding themselves. Helping them to maintain appropriate behaviors while in the community. As I have a brother whom has a disability both physical and mentally and have seen people make fun of him just hurt me so deep, because I feel they deserve a life that they enjoy without being made fun of, if everyone liked or loved the way people with disabilities do the world would be a much better place, they don't see wrong and they give and show emotions without thought...
Pros
Being able to help provide care to indiiduals that are in much need of it..
Cons
Seeing a person fail and not being able to prevent failer..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

86%