Western State Hospital

Western State Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

not so bad
Psychiatric security attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 26, 2016
The people you work with really make the difference in your time there. I loved everyone i worked with including all my patients. But sometimes you go home not being able to think about anything else except what happened at work that day. For me the commute was too far or else i probably would stay. There is a serious risk for assault (most of the time it is preventable) always be aware of your surroundings and know your patients. I've never had any troubles, but it's a reality when you work at a place such as this.
Pros
decent pay and opportunity for overtime not physically demanding
Cons
mentally draining risk for injury
WSH has been an invaluable experience
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day for me at Western State Hospital includes serving the clients breakfast and then assisting them with ADL's before escorting them to their groups for the morning. Once the clients return at 11 lunch is then served. The clients then go to groups for the afternoon and return around 3pm. Sometimes I take clients to their appointments if indicated. My coworkers and I work as a team to accomplish our assignments. Working as a team facilitates our daily tasks. The hardest part of this job is trying to help the clients when they are uncooperative. The best part of the job is seeing the clients get discharged because they are now ready to be back in their community. Working at WSH has taught me more about mental health and how important it is.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Getting mandated excessively
good insurance
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 11, 2016
The only good part about working there was the good insurance. Depending on where I was placed to work, some staff were awesome while others were not as much. Working on-call sucked because I would come to work and I would be told that there isn't a spot for me to work at that day. Or I would have to come in for the other shift to work. When I would be put into a spot to work for the shift, I could be changed to different parts of the hospital up to 4 times per shift. It was horrible.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
working on call sucks because of no stability
Very difficult to get time off. You must request annual leave a year in advance.
RN Supervisor/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAOctober 20, 2015
Currently Western State Hospital is experiencing difficulty hiring and maintaining nursing staff. This has resulted in difficulty for staff to get time off, causing further difficulty with staff retention. Wage compensation is on par with community.
Pros
Good wage compensation
Cons
Difficulty to get unscheduled time off.
co-workers
PNA (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAOctober 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working with people, it make me feel great about my self. I've always worked with individual with mental illness. I feel that I can play a major roll in getting them back to almost normal life. Teaching them how to do proper hygiene skills, making their bed,dressing appropriate for the weather, brushing their teeth, feeding themselves. Helping them to maintain appropriate behaviors while in the community. As I have a brother whom has a disability both physical and mentally and have seen people make fun of him just hurt me so deep, because I feel they deserve a life that they enjoy without being made fun of, if everyone liked or loved the way people with disabilities do the world would be a much better place, they don't see wrong and they give and show emotions without thought...
Pros
Being able to help provide care to indiiduals that are in much need of it..
Cons
Seeing a person fail and not being able to prevent failer..
job is good..... management terrible
Pna (Former Employee) –  StauntonJanuary 12, 2015
er PNA....the job itself can be very stressful yet rewarding working with the patients isnt as hard as it May seem ...that is if you can get over the constant mandatory overtime with the scheduler threatening your job everyday if you don't agree to stay and the overbearing RN'S , the staff that have been there for years and years some of them are awesome others will stab you in the back in a heartbeat the upper management plays favorites and cares nothing about their staff, the PNA'S that is, they must not realize without them the entire hospital would go to s*** even more so than what it already has.most of the coordinators for the wards and the Assistant Director of Nursing will lie and do anything to get you in trouble if they don't like you . if they could fix upper management and give raises where they are due this would not be a bad place to work however save yourself DONT DO IT (especially if you have a license as the patients there can make up lies and they believe the patient no matter what unless it's on camera then you lose your license)
Pros
great benefits
Cons
forced to work 4 to 8 hours overtime at least two days a week terrible upper management
Very difficult place to work.
LPN 2 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 7, 2015
The orientation was great, lasted 3 weeks and it was really excellent. That was the best part of my experience there; But after that, the ward orientation begins and the realities of working in a hostile environment hit you hard.
I was in a non-perm position and was hoping for a year or two, but only got 3 months out of it. I was given one day's notice my job was ending, which is all the hospital is required to give non-perms.
When my position ended, it came as a relief in many ways.
To sum up my 3 months there, it would go like this:
Too many supervisors telling me what to do, assaulted once by a patient (with only a minor injury), and a medication delivery system that was hard for me to work with, and a difficult morning med pass all combined to make a hard job even harder.
There were some very nice people to work with, and some of the patients were also nice, too. Treatment mall duty was the most enjoyable part of my job because I was off the ward and it was quiet.
I learned that survival in a big bureaucracy facility is difficult and stifling to the way I learn best, which is minimal to no supervision.
Pros
The benefits of a state employee are great, health care, retirement plans, and paid vacation.
Cons
Too many supervisors, Pyxis machine hard to use, and many required computer tracings need to be completed with minimal time if any to get them done.
It's rough
Patient Aide (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 7, 2015
This place used to be fun to work at but has quickly plummeted into a gut wrenching pit of dread. It is understaffed with a high census, and that hasn't changed in over a year. You will not advance or get a raise by doing a good job, only used more in bad conditions.
Pros
Some of the patients are great, and the bad conditions will make you the best friends you will ever meet
Cons
You are over worked, underappreciated, and it's very dangerous at times
Internship
Internship Medical Office/ Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2015
I enjoyed working in the Admitting ward as a Medical office intern and also the Health Information Management applying what I learned in my studies Tacoma Community College.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
short lunches, dangerous environment working with the patients
It is great to see patients get better and go back into the community.
Community Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 5, 2015
I have worked at Western State Hospital for 30 years. You have to love what you do to be here that long. No day is the same. When I worked on the wards the patients behaviors were unpredictable. It made for some pretty "exciting" days.
Pros
Currently make my own schedule
Cons
My retirement benefits do no get any better the longer I stay.
They need to improve
Recreation and Athletics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WashingtonSeptember 16, 2015
The state needs to spend more money on mental health. There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Respect is hard to come by. The union is strong, breaks are good, benifits are good.
western state hospital
Technician Landry (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 14, 2015
Working for warehouse and production marked. Blankets management look a goood job. Just clean up mopping. Just. Part time for job.
Pros
Cons
30minutes
not a good place to work
Patient Support Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 21, 2015
tipical day doing basic nursing skills I hated working for exitthis mental hospital patients or staff were not treated fair this hospital wasnin the state of KY and a lot of things
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
unfair and dangerous place to work
Decent Place
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 23, 2012
I worked at Western State through a contracting agency called Crown Services. The actual hospital was a decent place to work. Like any job, it had its fair share of problems, but my overall experience was pretty good.

There were oportunities to move within the hospital, raises were fairly given, plenty of opportunities for breaks and every other weekend off. Benefits were fair.

I would definitely recommend applying for a job at this place.
Pros
1-hour lunches, raises, benefits, fun environment
rewarding work with the mentally ill
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, TNSeptember 10, 2015
An interesting place to work with great staff and rewarding job. Care for the pts is very rewarding each day. Staff take care of each other and work together to provide a safe place for the pts.
Pros
school schedule offered
Cons
short staffed
Productive, safe environment for person with mental illness
Psychiatric Nurse's Aide (Current Employee) –  Satunton Va 24401August 6, 2015
Western State helped me grow as an individual. I become more understanding of mental illness and was able to help some recover and go back into the community. Actually a pretty rewarding job
Pros
healthcare
Cons
Mandatory overtime every week
Registered Nurse, Center for Forensics (Current Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAMay 1, 2015
Overall is a good place to work for psychiatric nursing experience in an inpatient facility . Good benefits and retirement. May be difficult at times with patients but is fulfilling to help with this population.
It works for me
BH/DID SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYSeptember 1, 2015
Assessments and client interaction. Work on an interdisciplinary team to determine what would work best for the client and advocate in the client's best interest.
Fun and helpful place
Information Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 29, 2014
I love working here and learning about mental illnesses and disorders. I've learned much about these areas.

The hardest part of the job is my hours and the benefits or the lack of benefits and advancement.
Overworked, underpaid, no weekends or holidays off.
Cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAApril 13, 2015
Physically demanding job. Learned how important time management is when providing meals for 900+ patients. The hardest part of the job was be witness to the lack of respect for the management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.