Western State Hospital

Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Great staff willing to help out when needed.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJuly 17, 2016
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
no benefits
This is a horrible place to work. Supervisor are incompetent and safety for staff and patients is less than adaquate
Psychology Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2016
This is a dangerous working environment. If you work with patients you will eventially be assaulted or under investigation with management. There is a great deal of retaliation from co-workers and supervisors.
I loved my job. Helping those that couldnt do for themselves..
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 20, 2016
Working for this company was an experience.. Gaining report with the patients, assisting in the kitchen and setting up dinner for the clients. My job was something that fit me! I was validating feelings and defusing certain situations that made me feel important as well as the patients.
not so bad
Psychiatric security attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 26, 2016
The people you work with really make the difference in your time there. I loved everyone i worked with including all my patients. But sometimes you go home not being able to think about anything else except what happened at work that day. For me the commute was too far or else i probably would stay. There is a serious risk for assault (most of the time it is preventable) always be aware of your surroundings and know your patients. I've never had any troubles, but it's a reality when you work at a place such as this.
Pros
decent pay and opportunity for overtime not physically demanding
Cons
mentally draining risk for injury
Very difficult to get time off. You must request annual leave a year in advance.
RN Supervisor/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAOctober 20, 2015
Currently Western State Hospital is experiencing difficulty hiring and maintaining nursing staff. This has resulted in difficulty for staff to get time off, causing further difficulty with staff retention. Wage compensation is on par with community.
Pros
Good wage compensation
Cons
Difficulty to get unscheduled time off.
Challenging place to work
Patient Support Aide/ Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 17, 2016
Its an ok place to work. Some days can be trying than others but the pay is good and you are constantly rotated so you are not with the same patients everyday which, can be a redundant.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment
Productive and fun
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 24, 2016
A typical work day would be calling in to see what ward you are working in. I am usually on the Geriatrics ward, I help change patients and help with their transfer and mental health. I mostly do 1:1
Nice place
Patient Specialist Aid (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 30, 2016
Good place to start for patient care. When nothing else is available in the emergency fields of your area. Or if you are just getting out of high school/ college and want some sort of clinical experience
Enjoyed working there
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 24, 2016
Enjoyed working there and want to go back. Left due to illness. employees and leadership was fun to work with. Learned a lot in a little time and enjoyed working with my patients.
Very difficult place to work.
LPN 2 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 7, 2015
The orientation was great, lasted 3 weeks and it was really excellent. That was the best part of my experience there; But after that, the ward orientation begins and the realities of working in a hostile environment hit you hard.
I was in a non-perm position and was hoping for a year or two, but only got 3 months out of it. I was given one day's notice my job was ending, which is all the hospital is required to give non-perms.
When my position ended, it came as a relief in many ways.
To sum up my 3 months there, it would go like this:
Too many supervisors telling me what to do, assaulted once by a patient (with only a minor injury), and a medication delivery system that was hard for me to work with, and a difficult morning med pass all combined to make a hard job even harder.
There were some very nice people to work with, and some of the patients were also nice, too. Treatment mall duty was the most enjoyable part of my job because I was off the ward and it was quiet.
I learned that survival in a big bureaucracy facility is difficult and stifling to the way I learn best, which is minimal to no supervision.
Pros
The benefits of a state employee are great, health care, retirement plans, and paid vacation.
Cons
Too many supervisors, Pyxis machine hard to use, and many required computer tracings need to be completed with minimal time if any to get them done.
It is great to see patients get better and go back into the community.
Community Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 5, 2015
I have worked at Western State Hospital for 30 years. You have to love what you do to be here that long. No day is the same. When I worked on the wards the patients behaviors were unpredictable. It made for some pretty "exciting" days.
Pros
Currently make my own schedule
Cons
My retirement benefits do no get any better the longer I stay.
loved this job
Social Worker I (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KY 42240August 10, 2016
I loved the job working with Mental Health patients. They treated me like their family instead of just someone who worked there! I would recommend this place to anyone!
WSH has been an invaluable experience
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day for me at Western State Hospital includes serving the clients breakfast and then assisting them with ADL's before escorting them to their groups for the morning. Once the clients return at 11 lunch is then served. The clients then go to groups for the afternoon and return around 3pm. Sometimes I take clients to their appointments if indicated. My coworkers and I work as a team to accomplish our assignments. Working as a team facilitates our daily tasks. The hardest part of this job is trying to help the clients when they are uncooperative. The best part of the job is seeing the clients get discharged because they are now ready to be back in their community. Working at WSH has taught me more about mental health and how important it is.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Getting mandated excessively
job is good..... management terrible
Pna (Former Employee) –  StauntonJanuary 12, 2015
er PNA....the job itself can be very stressful yet rewarding working with the patients isnt as hard as it May seem ...that is if you can get over the constant mandatory overtime with the scheduler threatening your job everyday if you don't agree to stay and the overbearing RN'S , the staff that have been there for years and years some of them are awesome others will stab you in the back in a heartbeat the upper management plays favorites and cares nothing about their staff, the PNA'S that is, they must not realize without them the entire hospital would go to s*** even more so than what it already has.most of the coordinators for the wards and the Assistant Director of Nursing will lie and do anything to get you in trouble if they don't like you . if they could fix upper management and give raises where they are due this would not be a bad place to work however save yourself DONT DO IT (especially if you have a license as the patients there can make up lies and they believe the patient no matter what unless it's on camera then you lose your license)
Pros
great benefits
Cons
forced to work 4 to 8 hours overtime at least two days a week terrible upper management
It's rough
Patient Aide (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 7, 2015
This place used to be fun to work at but has quickly plummeted into a gut wrenching pit of dread. It is understaffed with a high census, and that hasn't changed in over a year. You will not advance or get a raise by doing a good job, only used more in bad conditions.
Pros
Some of the patients are great, and the bad conditions will make you the best friends you will ever meet
Cons
You are over worked, underappreciated, and it's very dangerous at times
They need to improve
Recreation and Athletics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WashingtonSeptember 16, 2015
The state needs to spend more money on mental health. There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Respect is hard to come by. The union is strong, breaks are good, benifits are good.
Decent Place
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 23, 2012
I worked at Western State through a contracting agency called Crown Services. The actual hospital was a decent place to work. Like any job, it had its fair share of problems, but my overall experience was pretty good.

There were oportunities to move within the hospital, raises were fairly given, plenty of opportunities for breaks and every other weekend off. Benefits were fair.

I would definitely recommend applying for a job at this place.
Pros
1-hour lunches, raises, benefits, fun environment
Internship
Internship Medical Office/ Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2015
I enjoyed working in the Admitting ward as a Medical office intern and also the Health Information Management applying what I learned in my studies Tacoma Community College.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
short lunches, dangerous environment working with the patients
good insurance
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 11, 2016
The only good part about working there was the good insurance. Depending on where I was placed to work, some staff were awesome while others were not as much. Working on-call sucked because I would come to work and I would be told that there isn't a spot for me to work at that day. Or I would have to come in for the other shift to work. When I would be put into a spot to work for the shift, I could be changed to different parts of the hospital up to 4 times per shift. It was horrible.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
working on call sucks because of no stability
Summary
PHYCE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAJanuary 26, 2015
PNA - physic aide
charting, one on one with patients
My job her was to assist patients with their daily routine, doctor appointments, transferring patients to physical therapy. Going on trips with the patients, assisting in groups/ classes
And TOVA if needed, for patients that had to be restrained, to not harm themselves other patients or staff
Pros
Good state benefits
Cons
Dangerous job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.