Western State Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Summary
PHYCE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAJanuary 26, 2015
PNA - physic aide
charting, one on one with patients
My job her was to assist patients with their daily routine, doctor appointments, transferring patients to physical therapy. Going on trips with the patients, assisting in groups/ classes
And TOVA if needed, for patients that had to be restrained, to not harm themselves other patients or staff
Pros
good state benefits
Cons
dangerous job
job is good..... management terrible
Pna (Former Employee) –  StauntonJanuary 12, 2015
er PNA....the job itself can be very stressful yet rewarding working with the patients isnt as hard as it May seem ...that is if you can get over the constant mandatory overtime with the scheduler threatening your job everyday if you don't agree to stay and the overbearing RN'S , the staff that have been there for years and years some of them are awesome others will stab you in the back in a heartbeat the upper management plays favorites and cares nothing about their staff, the PNA'S that is, they must not realize without them the entire hospital would go to s*** even more so than what it already has.most of the coordinators for the wards and the Assistant Director of Nursing will lie and do anything to get you in trouble if they don't like you . if they could fix upper management and give raises where they are due this would not be a bad place to work however save yourself DONT DO IT (especially if you have a license as the patients there can make up lies and they believe the patient no matter what unless it's on camera then you lose your license)
Pros
great benefits
Cons
forced to work 4 to 8 hours overtime at least two days a week terrible upper management
Patient service assistant
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 19, 2014
Provided assistant to patients helping them with daily living skills
Filing of paperwork, operation of office equipment, data entry and organization of charts
Pros
being able to help people that are in need
Too much overtime
Human Services Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VANovember 14, 2014
The turnover rate is huge because you are expected to work hours and hours of mandated overtime
Fun and helpful place
Information Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 29, 2014
I love working here and learning about mental illnesses and disorders. I've learned much about these areas.

The hardest part of the job is my hours and the benefits or the lack of benefits and advancement.
Patient Aide I (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville KYOctober 5, 2014
Typical day at work is taking care and helping patient. Employee's want as team player to insure the care and safed of our patient.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
health care
complex but rewarding job
Clinical Risk Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 10, 2014
Better than average pay but lots of state hassles. Very slow processes, department in flux at this time so really not sure who is managing.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
unionized employment
Fulfilling and rewarding.
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 29, 2014
High End data entry, I was in charge of 286 employee's Paychecks.
Input of over time, sick leave and personal leave accruals and adjustments as needed per pay period, Prepare fiscal reports, input information of new hires into DSHS Personnel systems. Enroll new hires into the Health Care Authority system and adjust current employee's changes to HCA. Answering a high volume of calls and E-mail's, Faxing, Scanning, and Copying. Maintain and update Filling, Inventory, Mailing and Database Systems.
being a Fiscal Tech 2 was very rewarding in many ways as I learned a great deal about communication, Time utilization, and Customer Service. I had approximately 15 co-workers whom I enjoyed seeing on a daily basis we, as Fiscal Tech's had a very stressful dedication to make sure our employee's payroll and leave compensations were completed accurately and by State deadlines. This at times would put high pressure in the office, but we all knew we would pull through as a team. The hardest part of being a Fiscal Tech at WSH would have been when a co-worker would call in for time off when it was close to payroll cut-off, this would cause us in the office to come together and make sure the absent person's payroll was completed before the State system locked us out. (Each FT was in charge of 250-300 employee's payroll)
The most enjoyable part of my job at WSH was the feeling of accomplishment twice a month every month, knowing my employee's were happy and they knew I would do what ever it took to get the job done accurately and on time every time and they appreciated it.
Pros
the bond with my co-workers and employee's, meeting new employee's, learning new things everyday because of state changes.
Cons
non-perm position.
loved my job
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 19, 2014
Many phones daily, i found out that people were not nice on the phone to operators.The people here are not fun to work around.
I do not work with people ,i work by myself. There is nothing hard about my job except for finding a soft chair for 16 hours.Being here ,I like to come
Do yourself a favor and stay away from WSH. Terrible place to work! You have been warned!
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VaMarch 23, 2014
Western State Hospital in Staunton, Va is a terrible place to work. Please do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It might not be so bad if you are an RN, or even an LPN, but the the nursing assistants get treated like dirt by the supervisors and by the administration. The job of working with psychiatric patients is difficult and dangerous enough, but supervisors, co-workers and administration make it much worse. The gossip among employees, as well as the backstabbing mentality of the employees is horrible. The scheduling of staff is completely inadequate, and as a nursing assistant you will be mandated to work overtime( mostly double shifts) to cover holes in the schedule. The hospital does not care if you have family obligations or not. Patient aggression is often escalated by some RNs, and employees get hurt as a result of this. Employees, especially RNs, are often bullied by their peers. The administration play favorites, and gossip about employees in an inappropriate manner. One Assistant Director of Nursing in particular is especially guilty. These are only a few issues. I could go on and on. I worked there as a nursing assistant for five years and had good evaluations consistently. There is also no chance for promotion.
Pros
state benefits if you get hired full time.
Cons
no job security, mandated overtime, dangerous situations, controlling and deceiving supervisors, no advancement
Good to learn the health care industry in large scale.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 13, 2014
Everyday was something new, daily routines had some texture and learning of individuality - interaction of cognitive entities. Was purely and extended team environment, all striving to optimize a set plan of treatment goals within a medical physiomechanical regimen.
Pros
many lives impacted by the interaction.
Cons
lots of agency red tape.
An experience that everybody should have to enrich their knowledge to all sector in the medical field
LPN (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 11, 2014
It begins with a report from the previous shift and that gives the charge nurse what we have to tackle for the shift. Distribution of personnel to vital assignments with appropriate balance for the patient safety In mind. whatever the result, inform the charge nurse and the rest of personnel regarding the decision of assignments.
supervisors are informed whether personnel count is balanced for the acuity of the ward. Safety check should be performed prior accepting from previous shift. Proper participation of all staff when faced with obstacles to tackle the 'HARD PART OF THE JOB"
The most that I consider enjoyable part of the job is when patient's trust is earned and stars to connect where treatment is attainable. Discharge would be next and in sight.
Pros
knowing more people
Cons
some injury
It's where I had my 8 weeks internship. (NO PAY)
CLINICAL ROTATION, HEALTH UNIT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAFebruary 10, 2014
My typical day was doing the data entry, admitting or discharging patients, filing paperwork in patients charts, getting their mail twice a day. Screen and relay phone calls in a prompt and efficient manner, multi-tasking in a fast paced environment. I was using what I learned in my health unit coordinator program and all co-worker especially my (preceptor) were so patience and helpful in my training. That hardest part is being in the Mental environment, seeing and hearing the patients. It was sad for me, but the enjoyable part is the people I was trained with and the fast paced job which kept me sane.
Wonderful Place to work.
Patient Aide II (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KyFebruary 5, 2014
Very good hospital, with great Staff. A very caring place for those with mental health issues. was able to work one on one with patients.
Great
Externship (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJanuary 6, 2014
Good people, great place to work and learn. Have good benefits if you become an employee. Feel very safe and able to talk to superiors about anything.
Not the career you imagined
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 11, 2013
a gossip center, you do get alot of experience with patients and all their issues, The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the unprofessional individuals you work with.
Pros
convenient hours
Cons
management could care less
Great benefits but cut-throat nursing staff
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VANovember 24, 2013
The mental health patients have a legitimate reason for negative and sometimes shocking behavior, but I never expected the same from the staff. Almost everyone there is related in some way and they clan together. A large percentage of staff, especially supervisors (RNs) have been there way too long and have too much control over what happens. If you are a nurse just coming onboard, be very careful. The veteran nurses there are very territorial and two-faced. If you are fresh out of nursing school don't work at WSH, they will eat you alive. If you can handle it, the benefits are awesome.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hateful nursing staff and gossip

Comment – January 27, 2014

Ditto on this comment. The long time clique there is some of the most hateful, two-faced, sneaky people I have ever worked with. If you value your nursing license, don't take a risk of working here.

Productive Work Place
Patient Aid Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 17, 2013
Typical day is just checking on patients doing vital signs and interacting with patients
Pros
hour break, and laid back
Cons
worrying about patients fighting you.
The best place I have ever worked. I hope that I find that satisfaction of a position that I can feel like I really help some one .
Transport driver (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 8, 2013
I would be the first to arrive at the office. I didn't have a supervisor title
but I would carry out duties of a supervisor. I have coordinate the runs that would be carried out for that particular day. Carry duties out.
I really learned a lot being in that kind of environment. Most of my co-workers loved and respected,admired me.The residents too.
The hardest part of the job was being the only female to have ever been in that department. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking the residents to their destination to get the service they needed whether it was a doctors appointment or a placement to a personal care homes.
Cons
being able to be out of the facility
I have accomplished so much in so little time with this hospital
Clinical Rotation/Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAAugust 28, 2013
Great place to work, staff is very helpful works well as a team to accomplish the tasks at hand.
Pros
keeps you busy