Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Its a hospital
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  staunton, vaJune 25, 2017
Alot of care go into helping people with a mental illness. It was rewarding to see patients go on to live a healthy and fulfilling life. I enjoyed working with so many nice people.
Work experience
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAJune 18, 2017
I love the clients and most staff. Since the new hospital it's been constant changes some good and some not so good.The hospital has a big turnover in my area as well as nursing.
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
In my area money not good
Terrible
Office Assistant 3 (Current Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJune 6, 2017
Terrible place to work the environment and moral has gone down hill in the last four years of me being there. Hopefully they get rid of all the upper management people who are a huge part of the problem.
Chief of Safety and Security (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 5, 2017
Western is transforming. The management team strives to connect with the staff. The hospital is rapidly advancing in their ability to manage some of the most challenging patients as they move toward recovery.
This is a historic facility with terrific people who work well together.
Pros
Job has meaning, autonomy, opportunity for growth, creates and impact and makes you feel connected.
Cons
Safety is improving but not quite there yet.
Fast past
PNA (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAJune 5, 2017
The pay could be a lot better for the hard and stressful work You do. You work long hours get mandated often. Its a rewarding job but hard to balance family and work.
Good Job
PNA (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAJune 1, 2017
It's a good job with great benefits. Everyone is friendly and fun to work with. It's an easy job, too! I would go back if I could and still lives there.
Pros
Great benefits and good people
Cons
Theres a little safety issues with patients
A secure career place to work with great benefits
Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 31, 2017
A typical day is full of adventure with support by team members. I have inspired patients and my coworkers, to work through each day and allow them to have a better life. I have learned how to work with many people of different cultures and backgrounds. Management has worked with supervisors, to trickle down information, and make the hospital a safe place, while helping the patients meet their overall recovery. The hardest part is having to work within a limited budget. The most enjoyable part has been to work with great coworkers, and to have helped 100's of patient's work towards their recover over the years.
Pros
Continuing Education days, healthcare, free parking
Nice place to work. Good career opportunity
Fiscal Analyst 2 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 30, 2017
when working at western you could expect a full work schedule from the moment you walked in the door. the hardest moments were dealing with clients that had challenging days and took it out on you.
Fast paced and patient focused.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WA 98498May 27, 2017
While stressful at times, I truly did enjoy working for Western State Hospital. The constant interaction with patients and the fast paced work place was quite desirable. The staff was helpful and mostly friendly. I do feel like for the work we do as MHTs we deserve better pay, but I have heard they raised wages since I left.
Sense of helping people and working daylight quickly.
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Staunton VaMay 24, 2017
No stress do what your assigned job is then work together to complete all necessary work for the day with little stress involved..Usually can take necessary time off when needed.
Pros
Can take necessary time off when needed.
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement.Some holiday and week-end work necessary.
Not a good place to start. However, a better place for the experienced
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lakewood WashingtonMay 24, 2017
I did not get good training yet there were a great deal of expectations. As a new person much of my training was pushed off on my co-workers as opposed to being provided by my supervision.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
A very negative work environment, and many
nice but dangerous at times
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 16, 2017
You are around mentally ill patients the whole shift they are sometimes unpredictable. good hours and pay holidays. you also know your schedule almost all year.
Pros
pay holidays, flexible management, sick, personal, and vacations days are already calculated up for you to use throughout the year.
Cons
you dont know what type of day one or certain pateints are having until you walk through the door.
Definitely not a fun, relaxing place to work
Mental Health Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 12, 2017
My ward was very toxic as far as staff went. The patients were great. I would never work in that ward again. Lots of harassment, bullying and shunning of new employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
staff need better training
Important community resource
Psychiatric Social Worker 3 (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 8, 2017
Western State Hospital is an important community resource for individuals with chronic mental illness. Majority of the workers care about the patients and take pride in their work. The great job that WSH does daily does not get reported, but only the unfortunate incidents that occur.
Pros
Great staff with loving hearts.
Cons
Needs all new management.
excellent state facility!
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAApril 22, 2017
It was amazing to work here! The training they provide to each employee is thorough and takes you a long way. There is always the opportunity for overtime and advancement.
Productive and fun
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAApril 12, 2017
A typical day at work is fairly relaxing. I learned how to make foods according to patient needs and run machines in sanitation. Management is very flexible and helpful. The workplace culture is very laid back and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is lifting; some things are heavy. The most enjoyable part of the job was being P-14 and getting time off as needed.
Pros
several breaks
Cons
work holidays
Good benefits and job security.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 7, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to help provide a clean and comfortable living place for residents. Some of these residents could become upset or even violent which would make the day hard. Management was okay but not great. The culture could be strained at times because union helped keep employees that did not perform full duties and others would have to pickup the work.
Pros
Medical, sick leave, vacation and pension
Cons
Union could be counter productive.
Dangerous place to work
Registered nurse/ Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMarch 21, 2017
When I was hired they told me there would be security there to help us when patients got out of hand. This was a lie. during the time I was there I was attack by a patient and at that time we did not have any security. There was also another nurse attacked during that time and she was in a coma the last time I asked about her.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
Dangerous place to work
Might not want to work here.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 7, 2017
You work with all kinds of mental patients. You will probably be assaulted at some point. Males are expected to run all over the hospital to restrain patients.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Extremely poor management
Terrible place to work
Patient aide 2 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMarch 7, 2017
Bad atmosphere with no team work. Worked there almost 10 years and left on a good note and didn't want to hire me back without issues. Never again will I suggest someone work there.