Western University of Health Sciences Employee Reviews

College of Podiatric Medicine
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CADecember 12, 2017
Western University has been a sought after employer of mine for years. Unfortunately the opportunity was one of poor management, foul language, no training, and a culture pervasive with agitation and provocation. The position offered had warnings, constant rotation of employees quitting or moving to other schools within the university. Management is there to bolster themselves and move up the corporate ladder with disregard to their employees. Now I'm only speaking of POD, my experience with other colleges at Western were very good. Considerate, involved and caring faculty, excellent management in student services as well. I can say any of that for POD, not in the slightest.

If you are considering working for this school within Western U ask a lot of questions in regards to training, expectations, and the revolving door of employees. The pay I felt was considerably low and entry level for the amount of work.
Pros
excelllent students and faculty
Cons
Pod
Wonderful to help students become better MDs
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 30, 2017
Great attitude and focus from everyone in our department, and the students are so open to learn more from our interactions. Would enjoy a position here with more hours and responsibility if something opens up. The positive feedback we get from everyone here keeps us coming back as much as we can.
Pros
Lunch, parking, choose when to work
Cons
would like more hours
Excellent School!!!!
Standardized Patient Manager (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 22, 2017
An excellent environment that I would recommend to anyone that is looking for an atmosphere that caters to learning and innovation. The students and the staff here are great!
Outstanding state of the art medical teaching university
Vice President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 20, 2017
Developed first professional HR organization, through extensive assessments, audits, training plan assessments, overall review of compensation program.
High expectations, but rewarding work
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 20, 2017
Western does require a good deal from their standardized patients, but you are compensated well. Often times you are provided with lunch, and the more you work there, the higher paying jobs you will receive.
I'm cared for
I act as a patient for Student Doctors (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 25, 2017
I'm cared about as an individual and valued for my skills. I was hired for my improvisational, acting, and teaching experience. This job makes me use my brain, talents, and memorization skills. It helps me with my acting.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible, freelance
Cons
not steady
Highly disappointing
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 17, 2017
Too many personalities to deal with, interdepartmental conflicts often makes it impossible to advance. Insect infested areas in outdated buildings are just the tip of the iceberg.
Wonderful
Lead tech and assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAApril 20, 2017
There were no typical days because of the variety of patients that come in to a Veterinary College and the variety of students,\.
I had a wonderful opportunity to teach venipuncture/lab procedures on a regular basis.
I also taught client interaction/empathy.
Most of the other medical procedures that were taught such as EKG's were pretty much the same as human medicine. That is one of the reasons after 20 years in veterinary medicine that I was intrigued to get into human medicine.
Pros
I love medicine.
Cons
Sometimes students became frustrated at their lack of knowledge.
Good
Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Student (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I worked with a Family Nurse Practitioner preceptor in a large urban community clinic. Did work-up with patients aging from infancy to geriatrics. Worked with 2 very professional NP's and took in vast amounts of knowledge.
Pros
Excellent learning environment for FNP student.
Cons
Too many patients for a student learning
Good employee benefits
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 25, 2016
a typical work day includes processing and assisting students with their financial aid requirements.
I have gained strong organizational skills and experience in the development and implementation of policy and procedures for all types of federal and institutional aid.
I have a diverse office where co-workers bring specific skills sets that help the team as a whole.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours required during key processing time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting students
Pros
Learning opportunities and personal development
great place to work
Echo Technician (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 11, 2016
I really like working at Western University. I have been treated with respect and have learned so much.
The cardiovascular department is closing because not enough revenue was brought in.
Therefor I must find another job.
Pros
Really good benefits.
Cons
My department is closing.
Productive work day. Moderate to heavy work load
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day is just like any other school. Transcript processing, filing, data entry are just a few of the daily responsibilities. The environment is organized, and coworkers are helpful.
It was a fun place to work/ Had the Christmas holidays off w/pay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 1, 2015
Western University of Health Sciences, it a great school, for the medical field, getting great doctors and PA's out in the field
Pros
2 weeks paid, not even your vacation
Cons
some bad management
Excellent
Clinical Rotation's Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAAugust 18, 2015
Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) see patients, prescribe medications, perform surgeries, and deliver babies in hospitals, medical centers, and offices across the United States and overseas. Whether they are primary care providers or specialists, DOs use all the standard tools of modern medicine, but also have additional therapeutic modalities with which to care for their patients.
It was a wonderful experiece
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ClinicJuly 30, 2015
I loved it. For my job it was a little slow at times but overall it was a great experience. If I lived closer I would've definitely stayed loved the doctors and my co workers. Students were always a pleasure.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Medical benefits were terrible
Good work/life balance, stable and secure
Operations Associate/Simulation Technician (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 26, 2015
Stress free environment, comfortable workspace accommodated w/office essentials to help promote work efficiency. Friendly team oriented environment. Lacks managerial support and consistency for growth and development. Enjoy the diversity of the job and the schedule flexibility and paid vacation benefits.
Pros
Paid holiday vacation
Cons
growth and development
Great work culture, good institute to work for
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 26, 2014
Responsive staff and supervisors

Balanced work and life

Many areas to explore and get engaged to gain additional experience
Productive and innovative company
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMarch 15, 2014
Great place to work, flexible timings and right management, lot of scope for personal and professional enhancement
Nice Place
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pomona CaliforniaJanuary 28, 2014
good learning working conditions, lots of good things happening
Pros
working conditions
Never routine
Website Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAOctober 24, 2013
Compliling all of the daily requirements of trying to get the store in running order as retail is never routine. Daily cash reports, recieving and shipping online orders, stocking clothing, answering phones, and online iquiries.