Western Washington University Employee Reviews

Great Place of Work
Grounds Keeper (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 15, 2016
Self-directed summer landscaping projects including pressure washing, debris clean-up, and planting ornate garden pieces; working under a deadline for the start of a new school year.
Innovative and imaginative environment for advanced learning
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 10, 2016
Western's Graduate program provides advanced education in my field of study. The work as a TA is flexible and challenging while providing ample opportunity for individual exploration.
A student worker
Summer Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 9, 2016
Working for Western Washington University would probably be my longest I've work since I began my work experiences in high school. I had two different jobs: a faculty assistant and summer custodian. I enjoyed them and learn some valuable things. Particularly I learned a lot about getting along with your co-workers and working under pressure. As a faculty assistant, I enjoyed working in the Fine Arts department and seeing student works. As a summer custodian, it was definitely a different environment. The hardest part about this job was the sheer amount of things needed to be done, particularly when incoming students come for orientation. Overall, I enjoyed most of my time as both a student and worker at Western Washington University.
Enjoyable Work Environment
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 27, 2016
Loved this part-time because it provided the opportunity to gain valuable work experience with donors and alumni while maintaining my status as a student.
Fun, enriching and accommodating
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 8, 2014
Working for Western Washington University was an amazing experience.

Everyone I worked with (co-workers and university residents) provided a unique and fun atmosphere to my job. Our mission was to help ensure the safety, development, and growth of the students of Western Washington University.

The hardest part of the job was ensure a balance between work and school. Sometimes the position required long hours that impeded on academic responsibilities. However, both fellow employees and management were very helpful and supportive of maintaining high and exceptional performance in both the school and work setting; allowing me to ensure academic success. The efforts made by the team made this the most enjoyable part of the job.

On a daily basis we would engage in remedial and social mentoring/counseling to facilitate the success of university students residing in campus housing. We planned and facilitated weekly activities promoting social, mental, and physical health.
n/a
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 24, 2016
It was a one week temporary summer job in which I supervised children during their use of computer lab equipment and helped them learn to use computers and beginner video game programing software.
Fun and great place to work for a student
Undergraduate Research Assistant/Student (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2015
Working for the Physics and Astronomoy department was great. I was also a student in the major and learned a lot about the registration process, degree coursework, and general physics knowledge that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

The workload is very minimal and casual. Helping organize paperwork, handling incoming mail, and working on office project makes up most of the day-to-day responsibilities. You'll often have time to work on your assignments for class.

Great supervisor and department staff.
Pros
Easy, stressfree, good atmosphere for a student, extremely flexible schedule
Cons
Low compensation, not a lot of responsibilities
Enjoyable College Job
Box Office Teller (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAAugust 30, 2013
This is one of the best jobs one can have during their college experience! The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get first access to any events/concerts/athletic events that Western Washington University is hosting--it makes you feel completely involved in the entire college experience! A typical day includes selling tickets for a few hours in the box office....and not much else. Although, the manager and coworkers are some of the most superb people you will ever meet! The manager is very productive, understanding, thorough and generous. The hardest part of the job is that it is not many hours (although great for someone who does not want to work much during school), but the pay is competitive!
Pros
Tickets to events!
Exciting and professional workplace to grow.
Choral Librarian (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 20, 2015
Working at Western I was able to professionally grow in my workplace as well as in my classes. In my day at work I was able to learn about communicating professionally verbally and through writing. I also learned valuable experience in scheduling events, technical writing and coworker collaboration. All in all this is a great place to work as a student of Western.
Productive atmosphere and creative hub
Graphic Designer & Digital Signage Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 6, 2012
Western Washington University's Publicity Center allowed for full creatively and the chance to get to work with a diverse set of clients. Everyday involved meeting with clients, collaborating with co-workers and pushing the limits on how creative you could be.

The most difficult part of the job was also the part I loved. And that was being active. Meetings, late night design sessions, meeting with the printer, moving between offices and sharing work all at the speed of light. It taught me everything I know about time management and what I am capable of.
interesting research with good co-workers
Research Assistant, Chemistry Education (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 27, 2015
As an unpaid intern, I helped my professor with her research while I wasn't at class. Usually I would go to class in the morning, then afterwards go into the lab to analyze data. The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment I got as we progressed in our research.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
unpaid
Flexible hours, but lack of stability
Stage Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 17, 2015
WWU is a great school, and a great community, but this job leaves something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, my co-workers and supervisors are all great, the customers (mainly music, theater, and performance students, in addition to audience members) are patient, and even helpful. The hours are great, if you are only looking for about 5 per week. The real problem is the lack of a stable work environment. You get your schedule week-to-week, so you don't have a set schedule more than a week in advance. They are very willing to work around your needs, but the hours are very scant even when they are available. It wasn't terrible, but it could've been better.
Pros
Flexible hours, good at working with an existing schedule
Cons
Lack of stability, few hours offered, little training given
Awesome Experience
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day required me to log in student checks, file them, and distribute them. The management on campus was first class; the co-workers were amazing; the hardest part was balancing the books; and the most enjoyable part was giving students their financial aid checks, and seeing a big smile on their faces.
Pros
This was a campus job, and I loved it!
Cons
There weren't any!
Great environment for learning how to be a journalist.
Staff Photographer / Internship (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 3, 2012
A typical day was a balance between classes and story assignments. Photographing and interviewing subjects while trying to make the grade.

I learned how to manage my time, write a story arch, photograph in various conditions and work under tight deadlines.

The professors and supervisors were all patient and willing to teach everything needed to be successful in the journalism field.

The co-workers were fun, full of great ideas and talent.

The hardest part of the job was balancing work and life. At times life took a backseat to getting the job done under the deadline.

The most enjoyable part was the ability to be creative daily and to see the effort as a published article.
Pros
life experience and friendship.
Cons
long days, high-stress at times.
great place to work, but adjunct professors have no chance of advancement
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2014
Like most Higher Ed. institutions, adjunct professors have no chance of advancement. Teaching is great, students are great, town is great.
Pros
students, Bellingham
Cons
career options
Productive and fun work place.
Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work is retrieving packages for residents, checking out game equipment, cleaning supplies, cooking equipment and checking out lock out keys to residents, as well as answering general questions. Sometimes, I check in residents and give them their new room keys or assist with check outs. My co-workers are other desk attendants and Resident Advisers who are also required to work at the desk. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with residents and the hardest part of my job is that I work by myself for the majority of my shift, which makes it difficult to seek assistance from supervisors when I have questions.
fun workplace to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 3, 2015
I like to work at this place because of friendly people, quite workplace, nice management. Clear explanation of duty job
Pros
potlucks
Cons
n/a
Rainy
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 11, 2013
Beautiful place to work, but the ES building is like working in a cement box
Pros
beautiful place
Cons
minimal money and benefits
A fantastic work environment
Program Assistant for Major Leadership Gifts (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 12, 2015
I had a great time working with the Major Gifts Team at WWU. I love helping and contributing to a team environment and work very well with others. Collaboration, problem solving, and organizing the weekly team meetings were some of my favorite aspects of this job. It also meant a lot to me to be working for a non-profit knowing that my daily work was helping to build scholarships for students to attend the college. It was very rewarding.
Rewarding, and educational
Faculty Assistant (Intro to CATIA) (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 2, 2015
Having the opportunity to help students to better understand the ins and outs of 3D modeling is a fun and rewarding experience. It has taught me more about 3D modeling and specifically about the intricacies of CATIA.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Washington University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4