Western Washington University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 20, 2017
Overall, the idea of working as a parking enforcement officer isn't the greatest. I personally love it and my coworkers are amazing and very helpful, my boss is also the best i've had. People obviously dislike receiving citations but its a job with decent hours and pay for me being a college student.
Flexible management
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 2, 2017
The professors are very flexible and willing to work around your school schedule. you get to spend time in the lab and are able to work on your projects during down time.
Pros
Work on your own time
Wonderful
Internship (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 2, 2017
Beautiful campus, engaged teachers that facilitate wonderful classes. Being on a trimester schedule can be hard, but it's worth it. I would recommend Western to anyone who wants a place to explore what they want to be when they grow up.
Great work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 13, 2016
Was able to make my own schedule, relaxed environment, great experience. Learned a lot about statistical analysis and had great co-workers.
Great Place of Work
Grounds Keeper (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 15, 2016
Self-directed summer landscaping projects including pressure washing, debris clean-up, and planting ornate garden pieces; working under a deadline for the start of a new school year.
Innovative and imaginative environment for advanced learning
ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 10, 2016
Western's Graduate program provides advanced education in my field of study. The work as a TA is flexible and challenging while providing ample opportunity for individual exploration.
Enjoyable Work Environment
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 27, 2016
Loved this part-time because it provided the opportunity to gain valuable work experience with donors and alumni while maintaining my status as a student.
n/a
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 24, 2016
It was a one week temporary summer job in which I supervised children during their use of computer lab equipment and helped them learn to use computers and beginner video game programing software.
A student worker
Summer Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 9, 2016
Working for Western Washington University would probably be my longest I've work since I began my work experiences in high school. I had two different jobs: a faculty assistant and summer custodian. I enjoyed them and learn some valuable things. Particularly I learned a lot about getting along with your co-workers and working under pressure. As a faculty assistant, I enjoyed working in the Fine Arts department and seeing student works. As a summer custodian, it was definitely a different environment. The hardest part about this job was the sheer amount of things needed to be done, particularly when incoming students come for orientation. Overall, I enjoyed most of my time as both a student and worker at Western Washington University.
Exciting and professional workplace to grow.
Choral Librarian (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 20, 2015
Working at Western I was able to professionally grow in my workplace as well as in my classes. In my day at work I was able to learn about communicating professionally verbally and through writing. I also learned valuable experience in scheduling events, technical writing and coworker collaboration. All in all this is a great place to work as a student of Western.
interesting research with good co-workers
Research Assistant, Chemistry Education (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 27, 2015
As an unpaid intern, I helped my professor with her research while I wasn't at class. Usually I would go to class in the morning, then afterwards go into the lab to analyze data. The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment I got as we progressed in our research.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
unpaid
Fun and great place to work for a student
Undergraduate Research Assistant/Student (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2015
Working for the Physics and Astronomoy department was great. I was also a student in the major and learned a lot about the registration process, degree coursework, and general physics knowledge that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

The workload is very minimal and casual. Helping organize paperwork, handling incoming mail, and working on office project makes up most of the day-to-day responsibilities. You'll often have time to work on your assignments for class.

Great supervisor and department staff.
Pros
Easy, stressfree, good atmosphere for a student, extremely flexible schedule
Cons
Low compensation, not a lot of responsibilities
great work experience
Peer Advisor/Academic Success Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2015
overall great place to work at with good people to learn from. great university and students. had a wonderful experience working here and have learned a lot from faculty members
Pros
nice environment
Cons
location
Rewarding, and educational
Faculty Assistant (Intro to CATIA) (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 2, 2015
Having the opportunity to help students to better understand the ins and outs of 3D modeling is a fun and rewarding experience. It has taught me more about 3D modeling and specifically about the intricacies of CATIA.
Flexible hours, but lack of stability
Stage Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 17, 2015
WWU is a great school, and a great community, but this job leaves something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, my co-workers and supervisors are all great, the customers (mainly music, theater, and performance students, in addition to audience members) are patient, and even helpful. The hours are great, if you are only looking for about 5 per week. The real problem is the lack of a stable work environment. You get your schedule week-to-week, so you don't have a set schedule more than a week in advance. They are very willing to work around your needs, but the hours are very scant even when they are available. It wasn't terrible, but it could've been better.
Pros
Flexible hours, good at working with an existing schedule
Cons
Lack of stability, few hours offered, little training given
Excellent work environment, knowledgable and caring colleagues
Organic Chemistry Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 15, 2015
Western Washington University Chemistry Department has knowledgeable and caring colleagues. There is unwritten open door policy which allows for the collaboration, and opportunity to interact among employees.
Central Bureaucracy
Computer Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 13, 2015
Basically, I was apart of the bureaucracy. I'd answer the phone and help people out with their technical problems. Everyone I worked with was awesome and friendly, but the work itself was not that interesting.
fun workplace to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 3, 2015
I like to work at this place because of friendly people, quite workplace, nice management. Clear explanation of duty job
Pros
potlucks
Cons
n/a
A fantastic work environment
Program Assistant for Major Leadership Gifts (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 12, 2015
I had a great time working with the Major Gifts Team at WWU. I love helping and contributing to a team environment and work very well with others. Collaboration, problem solving, and organizing the weekly team meetings were some of my favorite aspects of this job. It also meant a lot to me to be working for a non-profit knowing that my daily work was helping to build scholarships for students to attend the college. It was very rewarding.
I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences
Marine Scientist (Current Employee) –  Anacortes, WADecember 4, 2014
I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences at Western Washington University in Anacortes, WA. My responsibilities include attaining and managing governmental and non-governmental research grants and projects I am awarded. In addition I teach classes in marine-related courses at the graduate and undergraduate level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Washington University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4