Western Washington University

Western Washington University Employer Reviews

I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences
Marine Scientist (Current Employee), Anacortes, WADecember 4, 2014
I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences at Western Washington University in Anacortes, WA. My responsibilities include attaining and managing governmental and non-governmental research grants and projects I am awarded. In addition I teach classes in marine-related courses at the graduate and undergraduate level.
Good Research Opprotunities
Chemistry Education Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chemistry DepartmentNovember 17, 2014
It was a good experience learning how to do research and focus on goals. I was fairly self lead this isnt a typical Western Job
Live where you work, work where you live
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: free room and board, early move in, no roommates, (a little bit of)cash money, flexible working hours
Cons: dealing with the public, cleaning up messes, can't work other jobs
As a Resident Advisor, your primary tasks are to build a community of students, oversee the safety and security of your area and give your residents the resources they need to be successful.

There are a lot of easy things about the job - putting on fun programs, hanging out with residents, interacting with fellow staff members. "Building a Community" – more... can be tricky; you are trying to work with a diverse group of people, with their own individual personalities, needs, and goals - and in an environment that will only exist for nine months. And really, going on nightly rounds isn't that hard - as long as nothing exciting happens.

The hard part is when things get "interesting". Dealing with disruptive or disrespectful residents. Handling underage drinking and drug use. And there are times when people get hurt, both physically and emotionally. With so many people going through so much in such a small area, stuff can blow up quickly.

But you know you've done a good job when at the end of the year they are not just some students, but a group of intelligent, responsible, respectful citizens. – less
Productive workplace for fostering experience in a microbiology lab
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 21, 2014
daily duties typically included setting up bacterial inoculation and analyzing current inoculations
Fun to work with if you have the right people with you!
Student Custodial Aide (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 16, 2014
Cons: lazy coworkers
A typical day at work for me started at 4:25AM. Getting up was the hardest part, then vacuuming would start at 5. Work itself wasn't difficult- once you get into the zone, work would go by quickly, especially if you imagined your vacuum pack was a ghostbuster vacpak. I would vacuum several buildings with 2-3 other students and we oftentimes would divvy – more... up which buildings and floors we would vacuum. Even though we would only vacuum for 3 hours- an entire work week is exhausting, especially with classes on top of it. My days would usually end at 7PM so I could wind down and fall asleep by 8:30PM.

The management was great! The manager I had was just the sweetest lady. She would bring the students snacks and everyday she would sit with us and give a little "pep talk" to help motivate us. The only negative thing I have to say about management, is that they put up with slackers too much.

(Some) of my coworkers are really what made this job easier for me. I had several fantastic coworkers that I know made this job way easier for me. However, there is always a flip side- if a student coworker didn't pull their own weight when it came to vacuuming, the rest of us students would have to pick up their slack. Unfortunately this happened often and nothing would be done about it (aka firing a student worker when they needed to). Additionally university staff workers could make a big difference on the moral of the work team. My first year, I had a great crew! We all got along very well, and had good moral. My second year, I had a different crew which did not get along nearly as well. There was a great amount of complaining and just over all nastiness (being just plain mean to each other). Honestly, this crew is what made me leave the job a quarter earlier than I had planned.

The most enjoyable part of this job was making friends with some awesome coworkers and hitting the snooze button on school holidays! – less
Rewarding position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 1, 2014
Always room to grow and learn new things. Professors are willing to meet with you frequently.
great place to work, but adjunct professors have no chance of advancement
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: students, bellingham
Cons: career options
Like most Higher Ed. institutions, adjunct professors have no chance of advancement. Teaching is great, students are great, town is great.
Fun and quirky workplace environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 5, 2014
Pros: housing and food paid for, many friends
An amazing place to work as a RA. Very fun and hosted many events with many things to do and enjoy. Residents were friendly and the ability to create an inviting community atmosphere from the ground up was awesome.
This is mandatory
Lead Student Custodian (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 10, 2014
This review is mandatory, this job was fine, janitorial, nothing worth noting.
Fun, enriching and accommodating
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 8, 2014
Working for Western Washington University was an amazing experience.

Everyone I worked with (co-workers and university residents) provided a unique and fun atmosphere to my job. Our mission was to help ensure the safety, development, and growth of the students of Western Washington University.

The hardest part of the job was ensure a balance between – more... work and school. Sometimes the position required long hours that impeded on academic responsibilities. However, both fellow employees and management were very helpful and supportive of maintaining high and exceptional performance in both the school and work setting; allowing me to ensure academic success. The efforts made by the team made this the most enjoyable part of the job.

On a daily basis we would engage in remedial and social mentoring/counseling to facilitate the success of university students residing in campus housing. We planned and facilitated weekly activities promoting social, mental, and physical health. – less
Awesome Experience
Junior Accountant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: this was a campus job, and i loved it!
Cons: there weren't any!
A typical day required me to log in student checks, file them, and distribute them. The management on campus was first class; the co-workers were amazing; the hardest part was balancing the books; and the most enjoyable part was giving students their financial aid checks, and seeing a big smile on their faces.
Productive and fun work place.
Desk Attendant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work is retrieving packages for residents, checking out game equipment, cleaning supplies, cooking equipment and checking out lock out keys to residents, as well as answering general questions. Sometimes, I check in residents and give them their new room keys or assist with check outs. My co-workers are other desk attendants and Resident – more... Advisers who are also required to work at the desk. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with residents and the hardest part of my job is that I work by myself for the majority of my shift, which makes it difficult to seek assistance from supervisors when I have questions. – less
Easy going workplace
Public Safety Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJanuary 15, 2014
Great work for students.
Learned that everything takes longer to get done when working for the state.
Great people.
As a student I was able to get breaks off and my schedule was around my class schedule.
Easy work
Temporary Summer Custodian (Former Employee), Bellingham, WASeptember 20, 2013
it was easy, though it was never really organized and the management was terrible.
Enjoyable College Job
Box Office Teller (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAAugust 30, 2013
Pros: tickets to events!
This is one of the best jobs one can have during their college experience! The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get first access to any events/concerts/athletic events that Western Washington University is hosting--it makes you feel completely involved in the entire college experience! A typical day includes selling tickets for a few hours – more... in the box office....and not much else. Although, the manager and coworkers are some of the most superb people you will ever meet! The manager is very productive, understanding, thorough and generous. The hardest part of the job is that it is not many hours (although great for someone who does not want to work much during school), but the pay is competitive! – less
Fantastic experience for students.
Physics Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 25, 2013
Pros: works around school schedule, fantastic experience.
Cons: low pay, potentially long grading hours.
I began working for the Physics and Astronomy department as a laboratory assistant as soon as I began learning there. Basically, I taught physics labs for students in the introductory series and low-level physics GURs. I helped run experiments, grade labs, and manage a classroom of up to 27 college students.

I loved the teaching and experiments. The – more... grading was the least enjoyable part of the experience. My peers and professor supervisors were fantastic. This position really brought me into the Physics department community. – less
Challenging and supportive.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 21, 2013
A typical day consisted of interacting with participants and entering/analyzing data.
Grade papers made easy
Math Grader (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 18, 2013
Pros: worked with my class schedule well
Cons: based on computers which have flaws
Basically I swing by multiple professor's offices after I was done with class and pick up a folder which contained all their students' homeworks. I would then deliver the folders back to their offices by the next morning around 7 AM. Then weekly I would talk to them to make sure all was well and send an excel sheet for each class just to confirm that – more... our data all matched. – less
Rainy
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: beautiful place
Cons: minimal money and benefits
Beautiful place to work, but the ES building is like working in a cement box
Communications Consultant
Communications Consultant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WADecember 19, 2012
Performed tasks as general editor and co-author for publications and reports compiled by the university's Office of Sustainability and Sustainability Institute Initiative.