Western Washington University

Western Washington University Employer Reviews

great place to work, but adjunct professors have no chance of advancement
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: students, bellingham
Cons: career options
Like most Higher Ed. institutions, adjunct professors have no chance of advancement. Teaching is great, students are great, town is great.
Fun and quirky workplace environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 5, 2014
Pros: housing and food paid for, many friends
An amazing place to work as a RA. Very fun and hosted many events with many things to do and enjoy. Residents were friendly and the ability to create an inviting community atmosphere from the ground up was awesome.
Fun, enriching and accommodating
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 8, 2014
Working for Western Washington University was an amazing experience.

Everyone I worked with (co-workers and university residents) provided a unique and fun atmosphere to my job. Our mission was to help ensure the safety, development, and growth of the students of Western Washington University.

The hardest part of the job was ensure a balance between – more... work and school. Sometimes the position required long hours that impeded on academic responsibilities. However, both fellow employees and management were very helpful and supportive of maintaining high and exceptional performance in both the school and work setting; allowing me to ensure academic success. The efforts made by the team made this the most enjoyable part of the job.

On a daily basis we would engage in remedial and social mentoring/counseling to facilitate the success of university students residing in campus housing. We planned and facilitated weekly activities promoting social, mental, and physical health. – less
Awesome Experience
Junior Accountant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: this was a campus job, and i loved it!
Cons: there weren't any!
A typical day required me to log in student checks, file them, and distribute them. The management on campus was first class; the co-workers were amazing; the hardest part was balancing the books; and the most enjoyable part was giving students their financial aid checks, and seeing a big smile on their faces.
Productive and fun work place.
Desk Attendant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work is retrieving packages for residents, checking out game equipment, cleaning supplies, cooking equipment and checking out lock out keys to residents, as well as answering general questions. Sometimes, I check in residents and give them their new room keys or assist with check outs. My co-workers are other desk attendants and Resident – more... Advisers who are also required to work at the desk. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with residents and the hardest part of my job is that I work by myself for the majority of my shift, which makes it difficult to seek assistance from supervisors when I have questions. – less
Easy going workplace
Public Safety Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJanuary 15, 2014
Great work for students.
Learned that everything takes longer to get done when working for the state.
Great people.
As a student I was able to get breaks off and my schedule was around my class schedule.
Easy work
Temporary Summer Custodian (Former Employee), Bellingham, WASeptember 20, 2013
it was easy, though it was never really organized and the management was terrible.
Enjoyable College Job
Box Office Teller (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAAugust 30, 2013
Pros: tickets to events!
This is one of the best jobs one can have during their college experience! The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get first access to any events/concerts/athletic events that Western Washington University is hosting--it makes you feel completely involved in the entire college experience! A typical day includes selling tickets for a few hours – more... in the box office....and not much else. Although, the manager and coworkers are some of the most superb people you will ever meet! The manager is very productive, understanding, thorough and generous. The hardest part of the job is that it is not many hours (although great for someone who does not want to work much during school), but the pay is competitive! – less
Very rewarding
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAAugust 25, 2013
Had a great time working with my coworkers getting events ready for the residents. Learned a great amount from my residents as well as coworkers. Great environment to work in during school.
Fantastic experience for students.
Physics Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 25, 2013
Pros: works around school schedule, fantastic experience.
Cons: low pay, potentially long grading hours.
I began working for the Physics and Astronomy department as a laboratory assistant as soon as I began learning there. Basically, I taught physics labs for students in the introductory series and low-level physics GURs. I helped run experiments, grade labs, and manage a classroom of up to 27 college students.

I loved the teaching and experiments. The – more... grading was the least enjoyable part of the experience. My peers and professor supervisors were fantastic. This position really brought me into the Physics department community. – less
Challenging and supportive.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 21, 2013
A typical day consisted of interacting with participants and entering/analyzing data.
Grade papers made easy
Math Grader (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 18, 2013
Pros: worked with my class schedule well
Cons: based on computers which have flaws
Basically I swing by multiple professor's offices after I was done with class and pick up a folder which contained all their students' homeworks. I would then deliver the folders back to their offices by the next morning around 7 AM. Then weekly I would talk to them to make sure all was well and send an excel sheet for each class just to confirm that – more... our data all matched. – less
Rainy
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: beautiful place
Cons: minimal money and benefits
Beautiful place to work, but the ES building is like working in a cement box
Communications Consultant
Communications Consultant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WADecember 19, 2012
Performed tasks as general editor and co-author for publications and reports compiled by the university's Office of Sustainability and Sustainability Institute Initiative.
Productive atmosphere and creative hub
Graphic Designer & Digital Signage Manager (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 6, 2012
Western Washington University's Publicity Center allowed for full creatively and the chance to get to work with a diverse set of clients. Everyday involved meeting with clients, collaborating with co-workers and pushing the limits on how creative you could be.

The most difficult part of the job was also the part I loved. And that was being active. – more... Meetings, late night design sessions, meeting with the printer, moving between offices and sharing work all at the speed of light. It taught me everything I know about time management and what I am capable of. – less
Great environment for learning how to be a journalist.
Staff Photographer / Internship (Former Employee), Bellingham, WASeptember 3, 2012
Pros: life experience and friendship.
Cons: long days, high-stress at times.
A typical day was a balance between classes and story assignments. Photographing and interviewing subjects while trying to make the grade.

I learned how to manage my time, write a story arch, photograph in various conditions and work under tight deadlines.

The professors and supervisors were all patient and willing to teach everything needed to be – more... successful in the journalism field.

The co-workers were fun, full of great ideas and talent.

The hardest part of the job was balancing work and life. At times life took a backseat to getting the job done under the deadline.

The most enjoyable part was the ability to be creative daily and to see the effort as a published article. – less
Good for a mid-sized state university.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 12, 2012
The people I worked with were great, and I always had the lee-way I needed to get grading and teaching done well. The students were almost ubiquitously respectful and nice, so my job was really pretty great.
office assistant
Office Assistant III (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 16, 2012
Pros: working with people
Cons: slosing during breaks
I love my job. the hardest part is they are closing the clinic during intersession, so my job has been reduced to 9 months