Western Washington University

Western Washington University Employee Reviews

Fun and great place to work for a student
Undergraduate Research Assistant/Student (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Easy, stressfree, good atmosphere for a student, extremely flexible schedule
Cons: Low compensation, not a lot of responsibilities
Working for the Physics and Astronomoy department was great. I was also a student in the major and learned a lot about the registration process, degree coursework, and general physics knowledge that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

The workload is very minimal and casual. Helping organize paperwork, handling incoming mail, and working on office project makes up most of the day-to-day responsibilities. You'll often have time to work on your assignments for class.

Great supervisor and department staff.
great work experience
Peer Advisor/Academic Success Tutor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2015
Pros: nice environment
Cons: location
overall great place to work at with good people to learn from. great university and students. had a wonderful experience working here and have learned a lot from faculty members
Rewarding, and educational
Faculty Assistant (Intro to CATIA) (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 2, 2015
Having the opportunity to help students to better understand the ins and outs of 3D modeling is a fun and rewarding experience. It has taught me more about 3D modeling and specifically about the intricacies of CATIA.
Flexible hours, but lack of stability
Stage Technician (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 17, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, good at working with an existing schedule
Cons: Lack of stability, few hours offered, little training given
WWU is a great school, and a great community, but this job leaves something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, my co-workers and supervisors are all great, the customers (mainly music, theater, and performance students, in addition to audience members) are patient, and even helpful. The hours are great, if you are only looking for about 5 per week. The real problem is the lack of a stable work environment. You get your schedule week-to-week, so you don't have a set schedule more than a week in advance. They are very willing to work around your needs, but the hours are very scant even when they are available. It wasn't terrible, but it could've been better.
Excellent work environment, knowledgable and caring colleagues
Organic Chemistry Research Assistant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 15, 2015
Western Washington University Chemistry Department has knowledgeable and caring colleagues. There is unwritten open door policy which allows for the collaboration, and opportunity to interact among employees.
Central Bureaucracy
Computer Assistant II (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 13, 2015
Basically, I was apart of the bureaucracy. I'd answer the phone and help people out with their technical problems. Everyone I worked with was awesome and friendly, but the work itself was not that interesting.
fun workplace to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: potlucks
Cons: n/a
I like to work at this place because of friendly people, quite workplace, nice management. Clear explanation of duty job
A fantastic work environment
Program Assistant for Major Leadership Gifts (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJanuary 12, 2015
I had a great time working with the Major Gifts Team at WWU. I love helping and contributing to a team environment and work very well with others. Collaboration, problem solving, and organizing the weekly team meetings were some of my favorite aspects of this job. It also meant a lot to me to be working for a non-profit knowing that my daily work was helping to build scholarships for students to attend the college. It was very rewarding.
I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences
Marine Scientist (Current Employee), Anacortes, WADecember 4, 2014
I am an assistant adjunct professor in marine sciences at Western Washington University in Anacortes, WA. My responsibilities include attaining and managing governmental and non-governmental research grants and projects I am awarded. In addition I teach classes in marine-related courses at the graduate and undergraduate level.
Good Research Opprotunities
Chemistry Education Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chemistry DepartmentNovember 17, 2014
It was a good experience learning how to do research and focus on goals. I was fairly self lead this isnt a typical Western Job
Live where you work, work where you live
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: free room and board, early move in, no roommates, (a little bit of)cash money, flexible working hours
Cons: dealing with the public, cleaning up messes, can't work other jobs
As a Resident Advisor, your primary tasks are to build a community of students, oversee the safety and security of your area and give your residents the resources they need to be successful.

There are a lot of easy things about the job - putting on fun programs, hanging out with residents, interacting with fellow staff members. "Building a Community" can be tricky; you are trying to work with a diverse – more... group of people, with their own individual personalities, needs, and goals - and in an environment that will only exist for nine months. And really, going on nightly rounds isn't that hard - as long as nothing exciting happens.

The hard part is when things get "interesting". Dealing with disruptive or disrespectful residents. Handling underage drinking and drug use. And there are times when people get hurt, both physically and emotionally. With so many people going through so much in such a small area, stuff can blow up quickly.

But you know you've done a good job when at the end of the year they are not just some students, but a group of intelligent, responsible, respectful citizens. – less
Productive workplace for fostering experience in a microbiology lab
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 21, 2014
daily duties typically included setting up bacterial inoculation and analyzing current inoculations
Fun to work with if you have the right people with you!
Student Custodial Aide (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 16, 2014
Cons: lazy coworkers
A typical day at work for me started at 4:25AM. Getting up was the hardest part, then vacuuming would start at 5. Work itself wasn't difficult- once you get into the zone, work would go by quickly, especially if you imagined your vacuum pack was a ghostbuster vacpak. I would vacuum several buildings with 2-3 other students and we oftentimes would divvy up which buildings and floors we would vacuum. – more... Even though we would only vacuum for 3 hours- an entire work week is exhausting, especially with classes on top of it. My days would usually end at 7PM so I could wind down and fall asleep by 8:30PM.

The management was great! The manager I had was just the sweetest lady. She would bring the students snacks and everyday she would sit with us and give a little "pep talk" to help motivate us. The only negative thing I have to say about management, is that they put up with slackers too much.

(Some) of my coworkers are really what made this job easier for me. I had several fantastic coworkers that I know made this job way easier for me. However, there is always a flip side- if a student coworker didn't pull their own weight when it came to vacuuming, the rest of us students would have to pick up their slack. Unfortunately this happened often and nothing would be done about it (aka firing a student worker when they needed to). Additionally university staff workers could make a big difference on the moral of the work team. My first year, I had a great crew! We all got along very well, and had good moral. My second year, I had a different crew which did not get along nearly as well. There was a great amount of complaining and just over all nastiness (being just plain mean to each other). Honestly, this crew is what made me leave the job a quarter earlier than I had planned.

The most enjoyable part of this job was making friends with some awesome coworkers and hitting the snooze button on school holidays! – less
Rewarding position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 1, 2014
Always room to grow and learn new things. Professors are willing to meet with you frequently.
great place to work, but adjunct professors have no chance of advancement
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: students, bellingham
Cons: career options
Like most Higher Ed. institutions, adjunct professors have no chance of advancement. Teaching is great, students are great, town is great.
Fun and quirky workplace environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAJune 5, 2014
Pros: housing and food paid for, many friends
An amazing place to work as a RA. Very fun and hosted many events with many things to do and enjoy. Residents were friendly and the ability to create an inviting community atmosphere from the ground up was awesome.
This is mandatory
Lead Student Custodian (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 10, 2014
This review is mandatory, this job was fine, janitorial, nothing worth noting.
Fun, enriching and accommodating
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 8, 2014
Working for Western Washington University was an amazing experience.

Everyone I worked with (co-workers and university residents) provided a unique and fun atmosphere to my job. Our mission was to help ensure the safety, development, and growth of the students of Western Washington University.

The hardest part of the job was ensure a balance between work and school. Sometimes the position required – more... long hours that impeded on academic responsibilities. However, both fellow employees and management were very helpful and supportive of maintaining high and exceptional performance in both the school and work setting; allowing me to ensure academic success. The efforts made by the team made this the most enjoyable part of the job.

On a daily basis we would engage in remedial and social mentoring/counseling to facilitate the success of university students residing in campus housing. We planned and facilitated weekly activities promoting social, mental, and physical health. – less
Awesome Experience
Junior Accountant (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: this was a campus job, and i loved it!
Cons: there weren't any!
A typical day required me to log in student checks, file them, and distribute them. The management on campus was first class; the co-workers were amazing; the hardest part was balancing the books; and the most enjoyable part was giving students their financial aid checks, and seeing a big smile on their faces.
Productive and fun work place.
Desk Attendant (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work is retrieving packages for residents, checking out game equipment, cleaning supplies, cooking equipment and checking out lock out keys to residents, as well as answering general questions. Sometimes, I check in residents and give them their new room keys or assist with check outs. My co-workers are other desk attendants and Resident Advisers who are also required to work at the desk. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with residents and the hardest part of my job is that I work by myself for the majority of my shift, which makes it difficult to seek assistance from supervisors when I have questions.

Western Washington University Salaries

$299 per day
Information Technology Specialist
$3,823 per month

Western Washington University Photos

A wonderful place to work, near Old Main, where I worked in the Business Office - 1984