Western and Southern Financial Group

Western and Southern Financial Group Employee Reviews

not for sales people
Sales (Former Employee), USAJune 4, 2015
Pros: ok if not a sales position
Cons: no respect from upper management
W+S can be a good job if you are in a salaried / back office job, but if you are in sales, the management at all levels will never value you. You will be provided with mostly substandard product and expected to "just go out and sell it". This is a company that is proud of "keeping costs low" instead of growing sales. And keeping costs lows means giving you little support to do your job and resentment by upper management if you "make too much". They view their sales forces as commodities that are easily replaceable. Only take a sales position if you have to have a job, and keep looking for something else.
Yuck
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Hillsboro, OHMay 15, 2015
Pros: set your own schedule in sales
Cons: sketchy bosses
If you're in love with sales, go all in. The hardest part was working with chauvinistic bosses who thought I was an idiot. The best part, I haven't figured out yet. I hated this place.
Conservative company whose marketshare is in decline
Licensed Representative (Former Employee), Concord, NCMay 6, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
No target marketing
Agents pay for all resources
Sell into markets no matter what the income
Managers and agents treated unfairly
Not for everyone
Financial Sales Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2015
Pros: Commission pay out is best in the industry.
Cons: The company is conservative and targets the middle market, which means the savy investor will go elsewhere.
This job is very entrepreneurial. It requires you to get out and become engaged in your community. At the end of the day it is a sales job. If you feel uncomfortable asking your family and friends to sit down with you and talk finance you will fail miserably in this job. The compensation is a roller coaster ride. There's amazing opportunity to make great money, but statistically speaking very few people make good money. I would recommend this company for anybody who wants to work in financial sales and has the resilience to handle rejection. Ultimately if you can make it work you will have a wonderful career.
Wonderful company to work for
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee), Danville, ILApril 28, 2015
Pros: Nice people
I absolutely loved my job. My supervisors were wonderful and very understanding with any life situation that came about. I lost my job because my office shut down that was in a rural area. There werent any opportunities in this area.
Very Conservative Company.
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 10, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch, Fitness center, pension plan.
Cons: Managers have a tendency to Micro Manage, and the dress code is very strict.
Western and Southern has a lot of room for advancement. The culture of the company is very conservative and they are trying to catch up with the rest of the world with technology. This is a very good company to work for if you would like to start off in the financial world.
If you work you are paid well!
Financial Rep (Current Employee), Kinston, NCApril 3, 2015
Pros: Awesome training, flexible schedule and great work/life balance
Cons: Underwriting a bit slow but it is getting better
I started at W&S last March and stayed until Oct 2014. I left as I was recruited to work for a non-profit agency. It was the worst mistake to make. I ended up coming back to W&S and my income is built back up close to 1k per week. When I left it was over 1k per week. I notice a lot of bad reviews. This is not a job; it is a career and it requires work and persistance. Yes, there are quite a few rejections; however the yes answers are worth the effort. Our staff manager does not micro manage and to be honest if a person has to be micro managed then maybe this isn't the career for them. YOU determine what you make! Here are some tips to new agents: 1. Get a name. 2. Call a name. 3. Ask the right questions. If you do this, then the money is right there. We have great products that are priced to be competative.
This is a stable company and they are not going anywhere. Just do what you were hired to do and the rest will work out. Quit whining and complaining and go talk to people!
Just looking for a warm body to fill a postion
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2015
Help customers clarify their financial goals
Advising clients on products and services
Helped maintain a good balance of investment earnings, assets and an acceptable risk levels
good place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), PAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: easy work environment, fantastic customers
Cons: allot of windshield time, commissions are a bit less than normal
very good work place, warm, friendly support, long term company with stable history, very solid product line, management willing to help in any step of the business, customers are great, sales process is simple & effective. Co-workers are very supportive, sales managers assist in your calls, prospecting field sales. hardest part is the amount of time traveling, many areas are vast in distance so allot of car travel is required.
Great place to start
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, no limit on what you can make, great training, wonderful management team willing to help, great comission structure.
Cons: 100% commission with no base, lots of travel on the road, conservative underwriting, a lot of reliance on case success on client and underwriters, you will spend money to hopefully make a lot in the business, not for someone who likes routine.
Company will give you a 7 week salary in which you are trained and get an idea of how to do the job. Training will be every week for as long as you are at the job. The trick is to have a list of people you know in your immediate warm market to call and set appointments for referrals or even better sell them a product. It will take you a few months to get your bearings and to exhaust your warm market. Once warm market is done, you will have to become creative with prospecting, visiting businesses to sell/build relationships, attend networking groups to build professional relationships, do events(cost money), seminars ( cost money),etc. It is advantageous for the new employee to schedule and close as much business as possible during their 7 week salary period as the commissions closed during this period will not be paid until after the 7 weeks. You will need to be a master of forming your own structured schedule, tracking case/lead metrics, following up with every client, and organizing your "business" to make sure you can keep yourself accountable. It is easier if you have some other means of financial support from a loved one or family while you try to get your business off to a good running start. Management will be able to help you run these appointments and close them without taking your commission. Underwriting is a little more slower and conservative at this company. The way the company offers some products and how commissions get paid to you can be confusing as the company has a handful of core products, but other products are through selling agreements with other companies. – more... This company is definitely one of the best places to start or work if you are used to commission job structures, enjoy the constant chase for the next lead, and love no limits in earnings or scheduling . It is better to start here if you have existing networks and relationships that you can pull into the job and start closing business quickly, because the company does not have an existing book of business and they will give you some cold leads and some warm leads ( you need to supplement these with your own leads to get the volume necessary for success). If you are young it is a great place to learn a lot about the business and get started but you will have to work extra hard to build your business. Western southern has a wonderful management at the agency level that truly cares and would help as much as possible, while being fair with compensation. They have decent products and a very financially stable history of performance. – less
not a good place
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2015
the money is terrible because of the 100 percent commission. they make you manage a portfolio of clients that have no interest in making any changes to their existing policies. Management needs an upgrade
Insurance Sales Rep
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Bethel Park, PADecember 3, 2014
Typical day entails phone work follow-up on lead prospecting or add-on coverage to existing clients. Some training to stay abreast of the business and travel to and from appointments.
Great Learning Environment
Client Relationship Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 25, 2014
I have learned all about the insurance industry. It is a good place to work.
WESTERN AND SSOUTHERN
Sales Manager and Insurance Salesman (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2014
DO NOT WORK HERE
YOU WERE WARNED
THIS ISS ALL SALES AND COMISSSIONSS ANDD THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU A WORKABLE BOOK
Ok place
Sr. Programmer Analyst (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 2, 2014
This a stable place to work for the home office. It has a very old work culture that requires suits and ties. Kind of dated in company beliefs (its like working for a company in the 1970's). Offers good benefits and a pension. Great for a person looking to safely plan their future if you can deal with the dated policies.
Good company to work for.
Marketing and Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLOctober 31, 2014
I was hired as Accounts Receivable. The company is going in other directions and did away with that position and moved me into Marketing and Sales. I take care of inventory among other duties. We just moved so I set up the marketing supply closet.

I liked my coworkers.
AVP, Process & Project Management (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 14, 2014
W&S is a great place to work - very professional organization with strong growth over the last 10 - 20 years. Great leadership team.
Great Company
District Sales (Current Employee), Independence OhioOctober 12, 2014
Pros: short salary
Cons: short salary
Great place to start your insurance career. If you are looking for a great insurance company and environment, go to western and southern,
Typical Sales
Account Executive (Former Employee), Grove City, OHSeptember 24, 2014
Good company, however the training provided is insufficient. Basic sales job, little effort is put in my management to help succeed.
Stong company, no layoffs
Pension Administrator II (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: free lunch, pension plan, subsidized downtown parking
Cons: business professional everyday
Very stong company, has never laid off anyone ever!
They offer a pension plan, as well as partial match on 401(k)

1 2 3

About Western and Southern Financial Group

Columbus Life Insurance wants to be out in front, just like Christopher Columbus's famed Santa Maria, which the company adopted – Read more

Western and Southern Financial Group Salaries