Western and Southern Financial Group

Western and Southern Financial Group Employee Reviews

NA
Staff Manager (Current Employee), Parkersburg, WVJune 19, 2014
The best job in the company is an agent. Management is unable to correct any issues in the field in fear of loosing their job
Career focused opportunity
Insurance Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Stow, OHJune 9, 2014
Pros: make own hours
Cons: commission bases
Networking and building a customer base was a great challenge
horrible
financial representative (Current Employee), WVMay 29, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: deception, structure (pay & managment)
Poor management! Horrible lying, deception from time of employment from divisional VP. Sales manager is a joke they have no idea what they are doing.
Allows you to take charge of your success
Registered Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits & compensation
Cons: micromanagement if struggling
There is a level of micromanagement if you are not able to produce on your own, however higher producers have a great deal of autonomy. If you have a good manager you will find ways to be successful as training is great. Allows for a fun, challenging environment while putting you in charge of your own success.
Very little qualified management
Licensed Agent (Former Employee), Indianapolis INApril 25, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: too captive
Did not feel they were concerned about agents or their success.
Old school company trying to pass as progressive!
Manager, General Accounting (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: everyone knows the pros.....free lunch, though it was never very good!
Cons: mid level management left to make all the decisions regarding staff, not supported by upper management, always easy to pass judgement after the fact!
They treat their non-exempt hourly associates like gold! There is not a lot of high expectations placed on non-exempt associates and if they don't do the job they were hired to do, that's usually OK. W&S offers many benefits to their associates, though less than other companies of a similar size. The company is very resistant and slow to change. Many processes, systems and people are stuck 20+ years in the past. If you're looking for a progressive company, this is certainly not the company for you!!
Bad practices dishonest
Sales (Former Employee), MichiganJanuary 30, 2014
A typical day is full of lies.
I learned I'm better off somewhere else.
Management is cold and misleading.
No salary as I was told there would be and was promised other things like a new computer, it never happened.
Look else where and do not do any business with a company that are dishonest.
Review
SALES REPRESENTIVE (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good managers
Cons: health care process
The process at W&S can be determined based on the clients we have day to day. A typically work day brings me in contact with 30-45 clients. I help each client develop a plan when it comes to their life insurance needs. Management is developing different approaches to bring our company into a positive profit. The co-workers are great and bring a great effort each day and provide a fun atmosphere.
What I learned
Student Externship (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaJanuary 18, 2014
I learned more about the insurance industry, long-term finance industry, and sales.
Trainee sell insurance products
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Akron, OHDecember 4, 2013
Pros: great team environment
Cons: straight commission
I was being trained to sell insurance products. I worked well with my managers and other team members.
dog eat dog business
Insurance Salesman (Former Employee), Wheeling, WVSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: lots of sales
Cons: too many people that didnt have the money for policies
I enjoyed selling policies but the economy didn't hold up. I sold 25 policies in 6 wks and within 2 months most of them went belly up. Economy went bad in 2008. I had no control over that.
Micro-management at it's finest!
Life/Health Insurance Sales (Former Employee), OhioSeptember 10, 2013
W&S is a prime example of the "DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO" leadership method. I worked for this company for little over a year. The management, both sales level and district, will do anything in their power to bring on new agents. This may sound like good recruiting to some, but they lie and make promises they have no intentions on keeping... and they wonder why they have a high turnover rate. Want a company that supports it's agents and helps produce leads? Then keep looking. You are expected to prospect in the field for close to 11 hours a week in addition to having 12 "in home" appointments, and lets not forget the 3 days a week you are supposed to be in the office from 9am - 1pm, or later, doing useless filing. The compensation is horrible and there are basically no renewals. Don't expect to have the weekends off either. If you do not have 12 appointments set for the following week you will have to come into the office on a Saturday from 10am-12pm for a call session. You do get a book a business from the company when you start, but these poor people have been passed around from agent to agent and are harassed by phone calls and annoying mailers every few weeks. Count your blessings if you get anywhere with this company...
Job was interesting
Sales Representative/Insurance (Former Employee), Hickory, NCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no income
Compensation was the low for this position. Management was great and very flexible
Commission Based Job
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Shelby, NCAugust 1, 2013
Pros: good commission
Cons: pay structure is bad
It was a good atmosphere to work in but being a 100% commission based job it was extremely stressful.
Solid company values
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Flint, MIAugust 1, 2013
Good training program and structure - if you have a good manager.

Structure is set up to deliver success.
Wonderful co-workers and a great job to learn self dicipline.
Insurance Agent / Sales Representative (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 31, 2013
Pros: make your own schedule and the opportunity to make as much as you want.
Cons: commission based pay.
Go into work and check your emails. Have your morning meeting about clients you are to see that day and discuss issues the client has and explore, with co-workers and manager, possible solutions that you may use to resolve them at your meeting. Go to your scheduled meetings and then go back to the office to fill out any paperwork you may have.
Secure Place to work
Sales Rep. (Current Employee), Vandalia, OHJuly 29, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: reducing field force
Retireing after 29 years of service and ready to start a second career.
Outside Insurance Sales Position
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJune 26, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: weird commission structure
Calling current clients as well as potential new ones. Selling life and health insurance. Working from referrals
Great place to work! Unlimited growth opportunuties.
Information Systems Auditor (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 24, 2013
Pros: free lunches!!
Great solid company with very experienced management team. Plus free lunch!!!
Sales Training 101
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Camp Springs, MDMay 16, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: 100% commission
As a life insurance agent with Western & Southern Life you will be provided with a great deal of training to learn about the Life & Health Insurance Industry. You are provided with a laptop loaded with tools to conduct client needs assessments. I was given a book of business with hundreds of existing clients to service which was good to help me as I started out in the industry. If you can be disciplined enough to manage yourself and you have a large network of potential clients this could be a good position for you.

About Western and Southern Financial Group

Columbus Life Insurance wants to be out in front, just like Christopher Columbus's famed Santa Maria, which the company adopted – Read more

Western and Southern Financial Group Salaries