Westerra Credit Union Employee Reviews

My coworkers are awesome
TELLER (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CONovember 17, 2017
I have been with the company for about a year and a half now and I am still not making the money I thought I would be making. I have done work that is out of my pay grade for about a year. I love the people I work with. If you want a good first time job than westerra is great, but if you need to make money I would not recommend.
Pros
Environment, More relaxed work setting
Cons
Poor salary
Transition time
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 28, 2017
typical financial services organization with focus on multiple acquisitions and consolidations and asset growth, looking like a bank concentrating on revenue rather than community support
low pay
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 7, 2017
Long time employee but didn't get paid enough of me to keep growing my career. Members are the best part and the relationships built is great. Thank you for the years.
Fun place to work
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2017
Enjoyed my 7 years at WCU, fun members to work with and fun environment. They have you working multiple positions, not a lot of coverage when its the busy peak time because too many tellers are at lunch or busy with members.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Teller turn around
Easy going work enviorment.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 24, 2017
Very easy to learn the procedures. They are very flexible with their employees and are considerate of their personal lives. They have great incentives.
Very community involved organization
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COJune 12, 2017
Meet a lot of great people. Fun work environment. Very involved in community service and financial awareness programs. Involved in many sporting events to reach financial literacy to the public.
Benefits
Cons
Bias management and low pay wage
People Centered
teller (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 28, 2017
Westerra does care very much for their employees and members. It is a great learning environment.

You get there and set up your station and help members through the day. The management is always there to help if you need it, which is a great comfort.
Horrible and unethical place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 28, 2016
This is a horrible and unethical place to work. Senior leadership sleazy, unethical and illegal behavior, they will turn the other cheek instead of taking care of the issues. Discrimination, harrasment and favoritism. DON'T WORK HERE!!!!
Pros
Employees
Cons
Leadership and unethical and illegal business practices.
I liked working here.
Customer Svc Rep/Card Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80209November 14, 2016
Clock in and work with customers updating account information and handling any request the customer wanted or needed. I helped accounting with GL maintenance, research and balancing. I was the VISA card fraud specialist. I ordered and maintained Credit Cards and credit card information. I processed ATM adjustments. I helped prepare for 2 credit union mergers.
Pros
I liked everything I did.
Cons
It was a long drive to work.
terrible work life balance and poor management
Financial Services Rep (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 26, 2016
worst company I have ever worked for I could not stay long term, it was disorganized and unprofessional. Management does not care about it's employees and the work culture and environment is not good. Systems are outdated and even though it is a credit union, the company cares more about charging fees then their cliental.
Sell, Sell, Sell
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2016
As one of Colorado's oldest CU's, Westerra Credit Union (WCU) has grown to become a powerhouse in the region. Being that WCU is also part of the Co-Op family of credit unions, the daily business was anything but normal.

Outside of the basic transaction requests, a staffer needed to know not only the general rates of all WCU products, but that of our local competitors in order to persuade and maintain a satisfactory level of referrals. Knowledge and the ability to sell is key here when being asked to produce.

There is a vast lack of education on product's. The training department holds boot-camp style education sessions in hopes of building up knowledge among the branches, but this fails due to the lack of sales training. Management has pushed harder for auto-recapture programs (being secured debt), but the underwriters make it difficult to process, requesting higher credit scores and higher amounts of income - but that is not whom we serve anymore.

Management as a whole lacks the ability to effectively manage. Directors and Management above Regional hardly visit the branches, there is little-to-no knowledge as what their positions are accountable for, and when there is an emergency, most of these officers just pass the buck to someone else.
Pros
Paid holidays, and decent dental program
Cons
Medical insurance, Management, Slow-to-change, Underwriters need to be more flexible
Great if you are looking at Short-Term
Teller (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 28, 2015
Unless you are in management, the back offices, or corporate, don't count on going anywhere. They pay you alright in the beginning, but after a year you don't get much farther. Managers expect more than your job description, and expect that to go un-rewarded or as if it were a part of your job description from the beginning. Would't recommend unless you want to do the same menial job, for little pay, and little recognition. I left as soon as I could.
Geat culture that provides solid work life balance
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2015
Westerra is work place that values it's employees. The culture is fairly laid back and low stress. Employees are personable and easy to relate to.
Hostile Work Environment
Not Provided (Former Employee) –  DenverJune 14, 2015
I was employed by this credit union just under eight weeks, and was compelled to abruptly turn in my resignation after being openly disrespected and humiliated in front of an entire department, including management. I was also expected to work ten hour days with no breaks due management telling me my role was brand new and still "figuring it all out".

I would describe this company as unprofessional, sleazy, and incompetant. Beware that harassment takes place here.
Secure Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Aurora,CONovember 21, 2014
Westerra Credit Union is amazing to work for; the benefits will blow any job out of the water in cost and availability.

Westerra Credit Union upper management struggles to communicate with the tellers or people of "lower" statures, but with in the branches there is great communication and teamwork. The pay starts out decent and there are ways to make a bonus each month and wonderful, extra incentives for employees to benefit from.
Pros
Great training, good turn around rate, benefits, pay
Cons
Communication between upper management and lower management
Not a Place to Grow Your Career
Back-Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 29, 2014
Pros: Generally speaking, flexibility in scheduling, especially for non-branch staff. Those that need to take time to attend to personal business usually can. The retirement plan is great (up to 11% employer contribution), but only rewards longevity: you can’t contribute anything (even your own money) until after 6 mos, and the full employer contribution doesn’t fully vest until after five years. But 11% is still impressive. The PTO benefit is pretty good at 3 weeks with increases after several years.

Cons: This is not the organization to grow in, especially for those that are in early- or mid-level career stages. And those in more senior-level career stages will very quickly grow frustrated with the amateur environment. The environment is old, resistant to change, and suits very well the keep-my-head-down-punch-in-until-punch-out crowd. There is no career planning, very little training, and little support for professional development. Most people don’t have individual goals, so there’s no way to really know what it takes to move up (instead, promotions tend to be based on tenure). There really isn’t a company culture and certainly nothing that makes it “special”. People are content to come in, do their daily tasks, and go home – which is fine, if that’s what you’re looking for. The institution lacks inspiring leaders: management touts nebulous strategic plans, focusing more on buzzwords and quotes than on actually creating plans to achieve goals, and tends to be opposed to anything that might rock the boat. The company doesn’t want to learn and get better, despite citing
  more... “innovation” as central to its mission. Case in point: no exit interviews for departing employees. The company doesn’t care to know why their best and brightest are moving on. All of this results in a “make-it-up-as-we-go” status quo – a hope that what made the company successful 10 years ago will continue to make it successful 10 years from now. And that’s exactly what it feels like – a company stuck in the past, acting like a mom-and-pop instead of a billion-dollar institution, but without any of the perks that make a small business environment a rewarding one.  less
Okay work environment
Teller/Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COSeptember 10, 2014
Westerra overall is a good company if you are not looking for anything to serious or to move up. I was there for almost a year and was told upon hiring there is great potential to move up. When I presented this to management, they were very vague and did not say if it would happen. Work was not challenging.
Pros
incentives
Cons
short lunch, no room for growth
Typical financial institution
Branch Operations (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 22, 2014
Beware if you want to make change. A very stubborn workplace.
Pros
Technology, Membership, System
Cons
Breaks, work home life, recruiting, staffing, fraud
Fun and Happy Place to Work (except Accounting)
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2014
Overall, a great place to work, great environment, happy, friendly employees. My co-workers were awesome.

Warning - the Accounting department is great, but their manager is a tyrant and has no idea how to manage people. Steer clear of Accounting! It's too bad when one Manager can infect an entire department and upper management can't see it.
Pros
Friendly environment, great co-workers
Cons
Poor management at the top who say they are there when you have concerns, but when you do, they are not supportive. Benefits are expensive and not very good coverage.
Great job with nice benefits
Teller (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 16, 2013
This is a great place to work at and it's an awesome job to start getting into the corporate world.
Pros
Long lunches, great benefits, and awesome work environment