Westerra Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Sell, Sell, Sell
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2016
As one of Colorado's oldest CU's, Westerra Credit Union (WCU) has grown to become a powerhouse in the region. Being that WCU is also part of the Co-Op family of credit unions, the daily business was anything but normal.

Outside of the basic transaction requests, a staffer needed to know not only the general rates of all WCU products, but that of our local competitors in order to persuade and maintain a satisfactory level of referrals. Knowledge and the ability to sell is key here when being asked to produce.

There is a vast lack of education on product's. The training department holds boot-camp style education sessions in hopes of building up knowledge among the branches, but this fails due to the lack of sales training. Management has pushed harder for auto-recapture programs (being secured debt), but the underwriters make it difficult to process, requesting higher credit scores and higher amounts of income - but that is not whom we serve anymore.

Management as a whole lacks the ability to effectively manage. Directors and Management above Regional hardly visit the branches, there is little-to-no knowledge as what their positions are accountable for, and when there is an emergency, most of these officers just pass the buck to someone else.
Pros
Paid holidays, and decent dental program
Cons
Medical insurance, Management, Slow-to-change, Underwriters need to be more flexible
Geat culture that provides solid work life balance
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2015
Westerra is work place that values it's employees. The culture is fairly laid back and low stress. Employees are personable and easy to relate to.
Hostile Work Environment
Not Provided (Former Employee) –  DenverJune 14, 2015
I was employed by this credit union just under eight weeks, and was compelled to abruptly turn in my resignation after being openly disrespected and humiliated in front of an entire department, including management. I was also expected to work ten hour days with no breaks due management telling me my role was brand new and still "figuring it all out".

I would describe this company as unprofessional, sleazy, and incompetant. Beware that harassment takes place here.
Secure Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Aurora,CONovember 21, 2014
Westerra Credit Union is amazing to work for; the benefits will blow any job out of the water in cost and availability.

Westerra Credit Union upper management struggles to communicate with the tellers or people of "lower" statures, but with in the branches there is great communication and teamwork. The pay starts out decent and there are ways to make a bonus each month and wonderful, extra incentives for employees to benefit from.
Pros
great training, good turn around rate, benefits, pay
Cons
communication between upper management and lower management
Not a Place to Grow Your Career
Back-Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 29, 2014
Pros: Generally speaking, flexibility in scheduling, especially for non-branch staff. Those that need to take time to attend to personal business usually can. The retirement plan is great (up to 11% employer contribution), but only rewards longevity: you can’t contribute anything (even your own money) until after 6 mos, and the full employer contribution doesn’t fully vest until after five years. But 11% is still impressive. The PTO benefit is pretty good at 3 weeks with increases after several years.

Cons: This is not the organization to grow in, especially for those that are in early- or mid-level career stages. And those in more senior-level career stages will very quickly grow frustrated with the amateur environment. The environment is old, resistant to change, and suits very well the keep-my-head-down-punch-in-until-punch-out crowd. There is no career planning, very little training, and little support for professional development. Most people don’t have individual goals, so there’s no way to really know what it takes to move up (instead, promotions tend to be based on tenure). There really isn’t a company culture and certainly nothing that makes it “special”. People are content to come in, do their daily tasks, and go home – which is fine, if that’s what you’re looking for. The institution lacks inspiring leaders: management touts nebulous strategic plans, focusing more on buzzwords and quotes than on actually creating plans to achieve goals, and tends to be opposed to anything that might rock the boat. The company doesn’t want to learn and get better, despite citing “innovation”
  more... as central to its mission. Case in point: no exit interviews for departing employees. The company doesn’t care to know why their best and brightest are moving on. All of this results in a “make-it-up-as-we-go” status quo – a hope that what made the company successful 10 years ago will continue to make it successful 10 years from now. And that’s exactly what it feels like – a company stuck in the past, acting like a mom-and-pop instead of a billion-dollar institution, but without any of the perks that make a small business environment a rewarding one.  less
Okay work environment
Teller/Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COSeptember 10, 2014
Westerra overall is a good company if you are not looking for anything to serious or to move up. I was there for almost a year and was told upon hiring there is great potential to move up. When I presented this to management, they were very vague and did not say if it would happen. Work was not challenging.
Pros
incentives
Cons
short lunch, no room for growth
Typical financial institution
Branch Operations (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 22, 2014
Beware if you want to make change. A very stubborn workplace.
Pros
technology, membership, system
Cons
breaks, work home life, recruiting, staffing, fraud
Fun and Happy Place to Work (except Accounting)
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2014
Overall, a great place to work, great environment, happy, friendly employees. My co-workers were awesome.

Warning - the Accounting department is great, but their manager is a tyrant and has no idea how to manage people. Steer clear of Accounting! It's too bad when one Manager can infect an entire department and upper management can't see it.
Pros
friendly environment, great co-workers
Cons
poor management at the top who say they are there when you have concerns, but when you do, they are not supportive. benefits are expensive and not very good coverage.
Great job with nice benefits
Teller (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 16, 2013
This is a great place to work at and it's an awesome job to start getting into the corporate world.
Pros
long lunches, great benefits, and awesome work environment
I loved working for this credit union
Teller/Teller II/ stand in FSR 1 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 18, 2013
I valued the overall vision of this credit union. I enjoyed the high paced environment, the sales opportunity which went hand in hand with the incentives, and the opportunity to advance in my career. I have learned much from my past challenges, which made it difficult to list something hard about my time with this credit union. I know what to expect when working with people, and there will always be challenges. But I have only seen them as just that, not problems. The part I enjoyed most at this job was the opportunity to advance with a little personal initiative. I was allowed to sign up for every training class available to increase my knowledge and know-how in the industry, and advance because of my performance in sales and quality of service while working for the credit union.
Pros
sales incentives, training, advancement.
Cons
foot print in the colorado market was just in it's developmental stages
Experience and growth
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 19, 2012
I gained experience with helped my growth as individual and also made me a valuable employee. We worked as team at Westerra which helped others and self help achieve the attitude of wanting to expand our knowledge and share it with others. The experience of helping the members in every way possible was the best feeling I could have more of self gratifying to know that you gave your best. The loyalty of management team was not there but the loyalty of the people I served on daily basis was definitely the plus.
Pros
working team environment
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westerra Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8