Westfield Insurance Employee Reviews

Productive, great place to work.
Seasonal Grounds Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHNovember 16, 2016
Very full shifts, learned how to drive a manual transmission, as well as many other skills. The hardest part of the job was working in the heat, but the benefits were more than worth it.
Pros
Free lunches, weekly golf, fitness facility.
Cons
Excessive hours.
I believed the Westfield as a company and still do
Mail Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHApril 21, 2016
I really enjoyed my Leadership role at Westfield Insurance. I led a customer service team for 19 years. The best part was dealing with the 1300 employees ( not at the same time or even same day) on a yearly basis. My co-workers and I had a special bond. Even though I was also a friend I had respect as the Leader in the department. I lost respect for some management after they outsourced my department. I understand the economics of outsourcing but in this case it was hard to except. The hardest part was evaluations and getting outsourced. Not because I didn't want to do the evaluations it's how they wanted them done.
The best part of my job was knowing everyday I was going to be busy and solving someones issue..
Pros
great pay, great vacation schedule, close to home
Cons
outsourcing
Medical Review Analyst
Medical Bill Review Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHNovember 19, 2015
I learned the insurance side of Medical Coding by reviewing medical claims submitted to Worker Compensation for reimbursement. It certainly gave me a different perspective on coding.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Job was outsourced
Challenging work environment.
Sr. Property Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 16, 2012
As a property representative there were no typical days, you could be at house fire in the morning and climbing a commercial roof in the afternoon.

You learned to expect the unexpected, shift gears with ease and address all customers with a smile.

Management had no prior experience in handling commercial or personal property claims.

I can't say enough about my co-workers. One of my co-workers told me they never had any fun in the office until I started working there...what a great feeling.

Safety concerns and work/home balance were a difficult part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was not taking any work home to do over the weekend.

Compensation/Benefits - above average
Culture/Values - average
Job Security/Advancement - average
Management - below average
Work/Life Balance - below average
Pros
co-workers.
Cons
management.
Most Desirable place to work
Salesforce Developer (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHSeptember 18, 2016
My day to day typical work is related to coding using Apex. At the same time did so many creations of like pages, classes, objects.
My total team working on different applications implementation.
its a good workplace and very good environment
ETL/Datastage Developer (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHJune 1, 2016
i am trying to work in management level.
i am working in this company for Datastage Developer.
This company has a good working and co-relative nature to work with the colleagues.
employer
Linux System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHOctober 27, 2016
i liked that company very much. i got very great regulations. i had a very good team. all my co worker are very co operative.i have a learnt a lot many things.
Outdated mindset
Personal Lines CSR (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHOctober 31, 2014
A company that is stuck in the 60's. Only the pretty young associates get promoted even if they are not qualified to do the job. A lot of money is spent on upper management, from company paid insurance, cars, and other perks, but the average employee gets a 3% raise if they are lucky. You do not get rewarded for going over and above at this company. There is a lot of resentment between employees. Management at one time hired a team to evaluate the compensation package. The staff was promised that salaries would be increased based on the findings. The increases never happened and employees were encouraged not to mention it. In other words, they were threatened.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
under paid, no advancement, management lies
Nice place to work
Claims Service Representative FNSO (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 26, 2016
Nice place to work, comfortable atmosphere. Most enjoyable thing about this company is flexible work times. Wonderful coworkers that are knowledgeable.
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 25, 2015
Westfield is an average company. There are definitely worse ones out there, but there are better ones as well. They are a very old company (150+ years) and many of their entrenched habits and traditions hold them back from being truly great. Job security is pretty good, but advancement is very difficult as they have an amazing number of 30, 35, 40, and 45 year service employees. Compensation used to be above average by a significant amount, but over the last decade has declined to become less than average.
have fun and excutability
Build/ Devops Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 30, 2016
Worked with a complex environment on Red Hat Linux and Windows Servers while developing applications. we wrote many cookbooks to deploy applications on different environments.
Divided class systen with unfair advantage to favorites
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 7, 2014
A good place to work if you're a chosen favorite of a manager and don't mind the very outdated technology. No overall company practice or procedure of fair treatment for all although they will tell you the opposite is their culture. Managers have a great amount of freedom to do as they wish with their departments and people, especially in field service offices. No oversight of managers whatsoever. If you're not one of the chosen favorites, you will get more work, less training, far fewer perks and be on your own most of the time. If you complain, you're labeled a problem, could be the target of passive aggressive retribution and the corporate headquarters and HR department do not want to hear any negativity or even know if there is a problem. If you're lucky to be a chosen favorite though it will be a good ride with free lunches, company paid travel, office socializing, average work load, good raises and promotions. Its a lottery where you land and who your boss is.
Pros
Work from home available if your manager approves
Cons
Prevalent class system among employees creates resentment
good company with good intentions going through challenges restructuring
Commercial Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 23, 2014
From the time I had been hired the company was going through a re-organization period. Unfortunately 3 years is a long time to undergo change and uncertainty. They kept us very informed of the changes every step of the way the problem was they were not taking place fast enough and seemingly they plans kept changing once finding out somthing was not working.
Pros
transparency, people, compensation is competitive, work from home
Cons
understaffed, unclear direction, vacation time
Old company stuck in the past.
Leader (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHDecember 14, 2013
Poorly managed. Many departments have "leaders" who can't make a decision or won't. Very political and passive aggressive environment. Lots of effort put into platitudes of culture and values but not much into actually living the platitudes. So much potential as an organization, but so disappointing to an employee. Stay away from this organization especially if you will be in a support function.
Pros
nice home office campus
Cons
benefits are okay but company things they are better than they really are
Mainframe Developer
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHMay 16, 2016
Working as a Mainframe Developer
Ablity to work at 24/7 and problem resolving.
Westfield is rally good company to work.
Great place to work-
State Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 9, 2013
Westfield Insurance is a great place to work. The moral of all of their employees is high due to the fact ALL employees participate in a profit share bonus-Its a team and everyone works together-
Pros
Work/life balance; great benefits; moral; promote education and healthy living
Cons
n/a
Overworked and underpaid
Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 1, 2015
Benefits like health coverage are great; work/life balance is not; work 45-50 hour weeks at salary pay and haven't seen an increase in more than five years.
Great Benefits
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 25, 2012
Great benefits - not so easy advancement
co-workers are great to work with
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
difficult to move up
Good place to work with flexible schedule.
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 29, 2013
Our service office has professional, wonderful people. Unfortunately, any opportunity to advance is more difficult due to the decision being made at the Home office in Ohio. The upper level management are more likely to give promotions and advancement to people at the home office, even when positions are not required to be located there. Otherwise, it is a great place to work with flexible time, great direct managers, and an excellent health and retirement package.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Difficulty in advancement if in a service office.
Good Work Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 6, 2015
Pays very well. Very flexible work schedule and good work life balance. Very friendly atmosphere and nice campus and offices at the headquarters. Different departments have very different atmospheres.