Westfield Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

I believed the Westfield as a company and still do
Mail Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHApril 21, 2016
I really enjoyed my Leadership role at Westfield Insurance. I led a customer service team for 19 years. The best part was dealing with the 1300 employees ( not at the same time or even same day) on a yearly basis. My co-workers and I had a special bond. Even though I was also a friend I had respect as the Leader in the department. I lost respect for some management after they outsourced my department. I understand the economics of outsourcing but in this case it was hard to except. The hardest part was evaluations and getting outsourced. Not because I didn't want to do the evaluations it's how they wanted them done.
The best part of my job was knowing everyday I was going to be busy and solving someones issue..
Pros
great pay, great vacation schedule, close to home
Cons
outsourcing
its a good workplace and very good environment
ETL/Datastage Developer (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHJune 1, 2016
i am trying to work in management level.
i am working in this company for Datastage Developer.
This company has a good working and co-relative nature to work with the colleagues.
have fun and excutability
Build/ Devops Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 30, 2016
Worked with a complex environment on Red Hat Linux and Windows Servers while developing applications. we wrote many cookbooks to deploy applications on different environments.
Nice place to work
Claims Service Representative FNSO (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 26, 2016
Nice place to work, comfortable atmosphere. Most enjoyable thing about this company is flexible work times. Wonderful coworkers that are knowledgeable.
Mainframe Developer
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHMay 16, 2016
Working as a Mainframe Developer
Ablity to work at 24/7 and problem resolving.
Westfield is rally good company to work.
Medical Review Analyst
Medical Bill Review Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHNovember 19, 2015
I learned the insurance side of Medical Coding by reviewing medical claims submitted to Worker Compensation for reimbursement. It certainly gave me a different perspective on coding.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Job was outsourced
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 25, 2015
Westfield is an average company. There are definitely worse ones out there, but there are better ones as well. They are a very old company (150+ years) and many of their entrenched habits and traditions hold them back from being truly great. Job security is pretty good, but advancement is very difficult as they have an amazing number of 30, 35, 40, and 45 year service employees. Compensation used to be above average by a significant amount, but over the last decade has declined to become less than average.
Good Work Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 6, 2015
Pays very well. Very flexible work schedule and good work life balance. Very friendly atmosphere and nice campus and offices at the headquarters. Different departments have very different atmospheres.
Outdated mindset
Personal Lines CSR (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHOctober 31, 2014
A company that is stuck in the 60's. Only the pretty young associates get promoted even if they are not qualified to do the job. A lot of money is spent on upper management, from company paid insurance, cars, and other perks, but the average employee gets a 3% raise if they are lucky. You do not get rewarded for going over and above at this company. There is a lot of resentment between employees. Management at one time hired a team to evaluate the compensation package. The staff was promised that salaries would be increased based on the findings. The increases never happened and employees were encouraged not to mention it. In other words, they were threatened.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
under paid, no advancement, management lies
good company with good intentions going through challenges restructuring
Commercial Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 23, 2014
From the time I had been hired the company was going through a re-organization period. Unfortunately 3 years is a long time to undergo change and uncertainty. They kept us very informed of the changes every step of the way the problem was they were not taking place fast enough and seemingly they plans kept changing once finding out somthing was not working.
Pros
transparency, people, compensation is competitive, work from home
Cons
understaffed, unclear direction, vacation time
Old company stuck in the past.
Leader (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHDecember 14, 2013
Poorly managed. Many departments have "leaders" who can't make a decision or won't. Very political and passive aggressive environment. Lots of effort put into platitudes of culture and values but not much into actually living the platitudes. So much potential as an organization, but so disappointing to an employee. Stay away from this organization especially if you will be in a support function.
Pros
nice home office campus
Cons
benefits are okay but company things they are better than they really are
Great company if you work in Ohio
State Claims Manager - West Virginia (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJanuary 14, 2013
I spent nearly 10 years at Westfield and really enjoyed my time. They were small enough to allow for rapid advancement as well as learning opportunities. The amenities available at the home office location in Medina, OH are top notch and I miss visiting. A great company from which to gain training and experience for young claims professionals.
Challenging work environment.
Sr. Property Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 16, 2012
As a property representative there were no typical days, you could be at house fire in the morning and climbing a commercial roof in the afternoon.

You learned to expect the unexpected, shift gears with ease and address all customers with a smile.

Management had no prior experience in handling commercial or personal property claims.

I can't say enough about my co-workers. One of my co-workers told me they never had any fun in the office until I started working there...what a great feeling.

Safety concerns and work/home balance were a difficult part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was not taking any work home to do over the weekend.

Compensation/Benefits - above average
Culture/Values - average
Job Security/Advancement - average
Management - below average
Work/Life Balance - below average
Pros
co-workers.
Cons
management.
Good solid company to work for.
Material Damage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 12, 2012
It's a good insurance company. They treat their employees like assets except when it comes to pleasing an agent.
Pros
company car and all expenses associated with it, company paid cell phone;provided all equipment to perform job.
Cons
does not take into consideration of employees needs/circumstances..
Very fast pace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESNTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Westfield, OHOctober 22, 2014
Answer calls from policy holders upward to 95-100 calls a day,

Work with underwriter for information for policy reinstatement.
Pros
lunch could be purchase with your badge and withdrawn from your check
Cons
the pay was very low and the drive was far
Fun work environment, professional,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seville, OHAugust 26, 2012
The tasks that I was responsible for each day were hands on and enjoyable. I was able to intereact with customers every day and build relationships to understand their wants and needs. Enjoyable managament staff who were understanding and easy to get a long with.
Pros
enjoyable work place
Overworked and underpaid
Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 1, 2015
Benefits like health coverage are great; work/life balance is not; work 45-50 hour weeks at salary pay and haven't seen an increase in more than five years.
Great place to work-
State Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 9, 2013
Westfield Insurance is a great place to work. The moral of all of their employees is high due to the fact ALL employees participate in a profit share bonus-Its a team and everyone works together-
Pros
work/life balance; great benefits; moral; promote education and healthy living
Cons
n/a
Working at the Westfield Group
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 28, 2013
Worked with all aspects of IT
Learned changed management and management responsibility
Management changed several times
Long drive was the hardest
Opportunity to learn more was the most enjoyable
Pros
many responsibilities other than support
Cons
too far to drive
I enjoy my internship in Westfield
Software engineering internship (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHApril 26, 2014
My third internship. Paid better than average internships in Ohio. People are very nice and mentors actually spend time with you to go through the work.
Pros
flexible hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westfield Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9