Westfield Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

Mainframe Developer
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHMay 16, 2016
Working as a Mainframe Developer
Ablity to work at 24/7 and problem resolving.
Westfield is rally good company to work.
I believed the Westfield as a company and still do
Mail Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHApril 21, 2016
I really enjoyed my Leadership role at Westfield Insurance. I led a customer service team for 19 years. The best part was dealing with the 1300 employees ( not at the same time or even same day) on a yearly basis. My co-workers and I had a special bond. Even though I was also a friend I had respect as the Leader in the department. I lost respect for some management after they outsourced my department. I understand the economics of outsourcing but in this case it was hard to except. The hardest part was evaluations and getting outsourced. Not because I didn't want to do the evaluations it's how they wanted them done.
The best part of my job was knowing everyday I was going to be busy and solving someones issue..
Pros
great pay, great vacation schedule, close to home
Cons
outsourcing
Medical Review Analyst
Medical Bill Review Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHNovember 19, 2015
I learned the insurance side of Medical Coding by reviewing medical claims submitted to Worker Compensation for reimbursement. It certainly gave me a different perspective on coding.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Job was outsourced
Good Work Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 6, 2015
Pays very well. Very flexible work schedule and good work life balance. Very friendly atmosphere and nice campus and offices at the headquarters. Different departments have very different atmospheres.
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 25, 2015
Westfield is an average company. There are definitely worse ones out there, but there are better ones as well. They are a very old company (150+ years) and many of their entrenched habits and traditions hold them back from being truly great. Job security is pretty good, but advancement is very difficult as they have an amazing number of 30, 35, 40, and 45 year service employees. Compensation used to be above average by a significant amount, but over the last decade has declined to become less than average.
Overworked and underpaid
Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHMarch 1, 2015
Benefits like health coverage are great; work/life balance is not; work 45-50 hour weeks at salary pay and haven't seen an increase in more than five years.
Outdated mindset
Personal Lines CSR (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHOctober 31, 2014
A company that is stuck in the 60's. Only the pretty young associates get promoted even if they are not qualified to do the job. A lot of money is spent on upper management, from company paid insurance, cars, and other perks, but the average employee gets a 3% raise if they are lucky. You do not get rewarded for going over and above at this company. There is a lot of resentment between employees. Management at one time hired a team to evaluate the compensation package. The staff was promised that salaries would be increased based on the findings. The increases never happened and employees were encouraged not to mention it. In other words, they were threatened.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
under paid, no advancement, management lies
Very fast pace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESNTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Westfield, OHOctober 22, 2014
Answer calls from policy holders upward to 95-100 calls a day,

Work with underwriter for information for policy reinstatement.
Pros
lunch could be purchase with your badge and withdrawn from your check
Cons
the pay was very low and the drive was far
Divided class systen with unfair advantage to favorites
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 7, 2014
A good place to work if you're a chosen favorite of a manager and don't mind the very outdated technology. No overall company practice or procedure of fair treatment for all although they will tell you the opposite is their culture. Managers have a great amount of freedom to do as they wish with their departments and people, especially in field service offices. No oversight of managers whatsoever. If you're not one of the chosen favorites, you will get more work, less training, far fewer perks and be on your own most of the time. If you complain, you're labeled a problem, could be the target of passive aggressive retribution and the corporate headquarters and HR department do not want to hear any negativity or even know if there is a problem. If you're lucky to be a chosen favorite though it will be a good ride with free lunches, company paid travel, office socializing, average work load, good raises and promotions. Its a lottery where you land and who your boss is.
Pros
work from home available if your manager approves
Cons
prevalent class system among employees creates resentment
good company with good intentions going through challenges restructuring
Commercial Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 23, 2014
From the time I had been hired the company was going through a re-organization period. Unfortunately 3 years is a long time to undergo change and uncertainty. They kept us very informed of the changes every step of the way the problem was they were not taking place fast enough and seemingly they plans kept changing once finding out somthing was not working.
Pros
transparency, people, compensation is competitive, work from home
Cons
understaffed, unclear direction, vacation time
It's whatever
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJuly 4, 2014
Good to moderate place to work. Very conservative, but great attitudes of team members
Pros
free dinners by leaders
Cons
over worked long hours less pay
I enjoy my internship in Westfield
Software engineering internship (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHApril 26, 2014
My third internship. Paid better than average internships in Ohio. People are very nice and mentors actually spend time with you to go through the work.
Pros
flexible hours
Well organized company with an enjoyable atmosphere
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clark,NJFebruary 8, 2014
First professional job; was a good stepping stone. Well organized company with nice coworkers and well qualified management.
Old company stuck in the past.
Leader (Current Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHDecember 14, 2013
Poorly managed. Many departments have "leaders" who can't make a decision or won't. Very political and passive aggressive environment. Lots of effort put into platitudes of culture and values but not much into actually living the platitudes. So much potential as an organization, but so disappointing to an employee. Stay away from this organization especially if you will be in a support function.
Pros
nice home office campus
Cons
benefits are okay but company things they are better than they really are
Good place to work with flexible schedule.
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 29, 2013
Our service office has professional, wonderful people. Unfortunately, any opportunity to advance is more difficult due to the decision being made at the Home office in Ohio. The upper level management are more likely to give promotions and advancement to people at the home office, even when positions are not required to be located there. Otherwise, it is a great place to work with flexible time, great direct managers, and an excellent health and retirement package.
Pros
flex time
Cons
difficulty in advancement if in a service office.
Loved Co-Workers & Customers
Employee (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHAugust 22, 2013
Co-Workers and customers were great, but no room for advancement especially if you are a woman. Many departments mismanaged. Poor business decisions made and little consequences.
Working at the Westfield Group
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 28, 2013
Worked with all aspects of IT
Learned changed management and management responsibility
Management changed several times
Long drive was the hardest
Opportunity to learn more was the most enjoyable
Pros
many responsibilities other than support
Cons
too far to drive
Very Nice work environment
Policy Examiner (Former Employee) –  Westfield Center, OHJune 17, 2013
Very nice work environment. From wher it is located to the people that work there. They have a great cafeteria and workout facility.
Great place to work-
State Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 9, 2013
Westfield Insurance is a great place to work. The moral of all of their employees is high due to the fact ALL employees participate in a profit share bonus-Its a team and everyone works together-
Pros
work/life balance; great benefits; moral; promote education and healthy living
Cons
n/a
Great company if you work in Ohio
State Claims Manager - West Virginia (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJanuary 14, 2013
I spent nearly 10 years at Westfield and really enjoyed my time. They were small enough to allow for rapid advancement as well as learning opportunities. The amenities available at the home office location in Medina, OH are top notch and I miss visiting. A great company from which to gain training and experience for young claims professionals.