Westfield State University Employee Reviews

Great Summer Job
Westfield - Painter (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAJanuary 15, 2017
Was great to work there! Perfect for a college student wanting to work a full time summer job. Would recommend anyone to try it out. I enjoyed the hours also,
Working at West State
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Various buildingsJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work for me consisted of cleaning dorm buildings . The most important thing I learned from being a maintainer is that with the right supplies, I was very effective at my assigned tasks. I believed I got along very well with my co-workers.
Pros
Working with very knowledgeable employees
Cons
Breaks were pretty short (15 mins)
Review
Assistant Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MA 01085December 14, 2016
It is enjoyable to be able to work in a lab everyday. From this I learn about all parts of biology not just the stuff I am interested in.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Strict hours
Productive and great place to work.
Graduate Intern at the Office of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJuly 13, 2016
I started working here as a graduate intern in June 2016. Everybody was great. I have an extensive hands-on experience from my internship. I enjoyed the friendly working atmosphere.
Great
Ambassador - President's Office (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJune 23, 2016
Enjoyed my education and job at WSU. I had a Great 4 years. It was a privilege to work in the President's Office. My experience with guest speakers and community service were terrific.
N/A (Current Employee) –  n/aJune 20, 2016
n/a poor management poor ethics, poor leader ship, making skills poor outlook for the future. Some staff fantastic other very poor true tenured employees.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
amazing
Dam removal research assistant- Intern (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAApril 7, 2016
this internship was the first time that I was exposed to real field based research. I learned many valuable techniques that I will bring with me to future jobs
good summer job.
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAFebruary 10, 2016
Wake up around 6 A.M. get to your assigned building before 8:00. sign in to you station/building. from there on you will begin taking apart beds, using cleaners for the walls and beds. glass cleaner for windows. i refer to he people that gave me my tasks as managers, but they kept saying they weren't, but the bulk of the job was pretty much being movers. even when actual movers had to deliver some of the new furniture, you will still be moving, it didn't bother me per-say but i remember some of my coworkers complaining that we were relegated to being movers instead of cleaning, but i didn't care because moving is simple work and right up my ally. the hardest part of the job is pretty much trying to coordinate with your coworkers, to clean a room. i remember i'd be stuck trying to figure out what was done and what wasn't. aside from that, the job was a blast. I had a lot of fun.
Pros
easy going coworkers, simple work.
Cons
A lesson in working with people and being responsible for your actions and the actions of others.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAOctober 24, 2015
Spent 2 years as an RA working with students to build a great community where residents could learn life lessons that would help them in day to day endeavors.
Pros
Great job if you love working with people.
Cons
Great job if you like limiting your social life and hours of sleep.
Ever changing work environemt
Admissions Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAOctober 21, 2015
Loved meeting new people every day. The best part of my job was talking about how much I loved my University! Through my experiences, I hope I inspired many to come to my beloved University!
Great job if you love sports
Athletic Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MASeptember 3, 2015
Working with WSU athletic's department is great if you are an athlete and love being around sports. The shifts never run too long and you get to work and meet other students in the school.
Student Administrative Assistant
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAAugust 14, 2015
In general both departments provided me with knowledge and skills which have assisted me in becoming a professional. The supervisors and Department Chair's of both departments provided me with scholarly guidance in office protocol and professionalism!
Pros
The university and the Federal Work-study program are both beneficial to the public.
Cons
N/A
Great Learning Experience
English Writing Workshop Instructor (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJuly 16, 2015
Educating students on their next steps toward career paths and adult growth is enlightening and meaningful. The programs are nurturing for educators and everyone is always willing to help.
Pros
students, coworkers, program objective
Cons
temporary
Getting to meet new students every year.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilson buildingJune 15, 2015
When I get to work I count out the safe and set up my register and then I try to have a safety meeting every day to remind my employees about safety and the different chemicals we use and teach them about food prep. taking temps on our food and how to record them. I serve and take orders and run the register and clean up at the end of my shift. The hardest part of my job is working short handed.What I enjoy most about my job is working with my employees and talking to the students and professors and seeing them smile.
Pros
We have a lot of raffles and employee of the month
Cons
Health Insurance is not the best and we only get paid for 3 holidays
Productive and educative place to work
Exams room Officer (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAJune 9, 2015
Always in touch with so many people. This improved my inter personal relationship and communication skills. I really enjoyed helping students to get better understanding of what they are having difficulty with.
best school ever
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJune 2, 2015
Worked in this position my final semester, gained more experience as I improved skills, including time management, team building, and advertising. This internship was paid and even if it wasn't, it was a blessing to get any opportunity I could at Westfield State University. A place where people appreciate you for you, always show you unconditionally you are part of their family, and being a role model to students on campus, older or younger, motivates you to go to school and take part in anything. I was blessed to have the opportunity and make the best of it. To give back to the students and faculty and be appreciated for it just to be seen doing something made the moments special and even though I graduated in December 2012, I still visit and donate to the university as an alumni.
review of Westfield
Desk Attendant - Fitness Center (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAMay 19, 2015
A typical day at the Fitness Center involved answering phone calls, swiping students in, and cleaning. These activities varied on where you were placed that day. Upstairs is where you would greet the students, take phone calls/messages, and interact more. Downstairs is where you supervised the students and cleaned the weights and floors. The managers were great. They took the time to get to know you and made you feel comfortable working there.
Great people and a great learning experience.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAOctober 23, 2014
A typical day at work included going to classes and hanging with my friends, when I was on duty at night I sat at the desk of our buildings main entrance. We supervised the students and the building we lived in. We did hourly rounds between 9pm and 1am on nights that we had scheduled duty. I learned a lot about myself as a person. I used to have a mindset similar to that of an introvert, but being in a position where my job is to work with and meet new people has really brought me out of my shell. It also helped me build upon my management and organizational skills. My problem with out management as RA's really limited our social lives. Specific rules were set in place to keep us from leaving the campus which never sat well with the other RA's. The hardest part of the job is dealing with emergencies, I dealt with everything from deeply emotional residents and parents to medical emergencies. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the amazing new friends I made.
Pros
Single living, Paycheck.
Cons
Restrictions on social life, Late hours.
Great Workplace
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAAugust 22, 2014
Wonderful
People are eager to help
great coworkers
Team Environment
Working as a team to achieve excellence
Assistant; Office of Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAAugust 19, 2014
working with others to create programs that benefit both current students and alumnus.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westfield State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3