Westin Hotel Employee Reviews

This place had no idea on how to run a hotel.
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 12, 2016
The management at this place of employment is a joke. Noone seems to know what they are supposed to be doing. The turn over rate is high in mangement is high. The person that hired me was gone before my first week of training was over. The training was a joke, there is no set way that they train, they stick you in front of a computer program and at the end of every segment they state that the rules and procedures will be different at your property. The managment talk about employees in front of other employees and guests. They trash talk everyone. The compensation for the work that they want you to do is nowhere reasonable. I didn't have a health card and they were having me work in the kitchen,
A great environment to build loyalty
Manager of Stewarding (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 16, 2016
The Westin La Paloma is a great environment to build guest loyalty and to create memorable guest experiences.

A typical day is spent striving to make every guest happy. Management is strong at this property. It is a fun environment with great relationships between all departments.
Pros
Free employee meal
Cons
Health Care Benefits package
avery nice place to work and achieve higher goals
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2016
great ploace to work and very nice environmnice benefistent of people working together and clean and high spirited employees dedicated to guest service. Nice benefits and accomodations.
Pros
free mels
Productive Work Place
Busser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 9, 2016
The best Hotel of the west coast. Your typical day would be a slow yet it'd pick up dependent on which day and event had been planned ahead of time. Management is always nice, not perfect, but really nice and its really heartwarming and stress free to have Managers such as those of the Bonaventure, that can level with their employees and still keep such a clean, 35-floor hotel together. I will say the hardest part of the job is having to deal with those that aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing, though the most enjoyable part always is cleaning up knowing you've done a great job and leave with a smile on your face. Thank you Westin Bonaventure!
Pros
Good People, Friendly Customers, Fantastic Food, Great Benefits
Cons
Short Lunches, Jealous Employees, Treated Wrong Somedays
good
Utility,Engineer,cook,prep cook (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 20, 2016
good place too work....a lot of favourtism....not enough hours...great benefits though,always good at granting request off
Love Starwood
Banquet Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2016
As a Banquet Manager, My days differ but the basics remain the same. one thing that never changes are the long hours. If you work less than 11 hours it's short day. But the Westin is a great place to work. solid foundation, great product, great people.
Pros
benifits
Cons
quality of life.
nice place for work good envirament
banquets server (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2016
I like banqutes because I meet A lot people anhother country.and make benefits for my family.good envirament.I work for 15 yearsI think all places have busy days.but I can control about that.
Pros
free lunches and benefits
Good Pay Bad Experience
Front Desk Receptionist, Pbx Operator (Former Employee) –  College Park, GAJune 10, 2016
Your not heard by the management or human resources at the property. No advancement opportunities. Good Pay though
I worked so hard and it was never recognized the shift times change drastically and they work you overtime sometimes maybe eve 16 hours. They don't give you a break if your overnight shift and they lie and say by law they dot have to give you a break. The pay was worth the hassle sometimes.
Pros
pay, overtime
Cons
bad food for employees, treated like your not improtant, no voice
Enjoyed my time there
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 29, 2016
typical day at work was sometimes stressful and difficult to deal with. A lot of hotel issues like linen and amenities

what I learned is that no matter how bad it was I was still dedicated to the job and my team members

Management was okay and I like a lot of them and still talk with them to this day

co-workers were like family and I miss them all.

the hardest part of the job was the lack of materials for the daily tasks at hand.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the employees would have Welcome to Work Day or our Monthy Employee Luncheons
Pros
Recognition of hard work awards and the People
Cons
My department has had 9 managers in 10 years.
Productive work space with waterfront view
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  National Harbor, MDSeptember 20, 2016
Washington, D.C. hotel. Thriving with onsite dining, fitness, meeting and event space just steps from local attractions like the White House and National Mall. While working for The Westin Hotel I've learned skills that help in a multitude of fields and give me the ability to be transplanted into any job. I worked closely with my senior staff and upper management to make sure every guest had a room and no problems occurred and to handle any that did.
Pros
Located in the National Harbor I was able to meet and befriend people from all walks of life
Cons
Favoritism in the work place
Overworked and Unappreciated
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJuly 18, 2016
Most of the employees at the hotel that work full time have no social life. There is no set schedule unless you have seniority and most of the people that have worked at the hotel have been their a long time. Management is very lax, some employees are scrutinized and held under a microscope while others are aloud to do whatever they want.I enjoyed working at the Westin. I worked extremely hard, harder than anyone else in my department because I worked by myself fulfilling several important roles in the department. Lastly, HR is not approachable. If you have a problem you should just keep it to yourself because you do not want to put yourself on their radar.
Pros
If you work overnights you are lucky
Cons
you will hate your job
Very welcoming work environment
Banquet House Attendant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 3, 2016
I basically set up funtions such as weddings and meetings.
The hardest part of the job is all the changes the clients make on a moments notice.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
raises are not good
great place to work for
Fine Dining Cook/Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJuly 26, 2016
exciting work place. you can learn a lot about the restaurant and hotel industry there. room for advancement. you can achieve your goals there if you work hard
Pros
great place to work at
Cons
corperate takeovers
A fast paced and high volume banquet venue.
Banquet Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2016
With a high number of meeting rooms, and an exceptionally large ballroom, the Westin Seattle has a high volume of banquet business. This makes it a great location to learn the ins and outs of banquet management, and get a larger amount of experience in a shorter time than many smaller properties would offer.

The property does suffer from a lack of staffing. With over 70 severs in the banquet department, but only two managers, and two supervisors that split the duties of in office management roles, and on the floor captain duties. This result in the few managers who are there working considerably longer hours than is standard.

As a union property this location is a great property to learn how to work within union contract guidelines while still getting the best performance from servers.

The biggest negatives to working at this property are that compensation is not competitive with other properties in the industry, and inadequate support for banquet management resulting in unnecessary challenges and stresses each day.

The biggest positives to working at this property are that it has a staff of dedicated servers who have sometimes upwards of 30 years of banquet experience that you can learn from, and depend on for quality work. It is a great property to learn how to handle unexpected problems and changes, and how to best respond to them.
Pros
Benefits, somewhat flexible hours, experienced staff.
Cons
Low pay, high hours, lack of support
responsibilites and challenges
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 1, 2016
. I want this position so I can take on more responsibilities and challenges. It is an opportunity to further provide excellent customer service and to our guests. I believe that giving our guests a wonderful experience is very important while working at this hotel. I enjoy working in a public environment where I am able to interact with different types of people. As a guest service representative, I will be the "face" of the company. It is my duty to provide our guests a fantastic first impression of our hotel.
Pros
good benrfits
Cons
over time pay /one hour for lunch break/and treaning progam
Fun and good people to work with and to work for.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 12, 2016
a typical day at westin started with taking water up to the floors that i was assigned to, through out the day i take calls to deliver supplies to the housekeepers on my assigned floors. i would take the trash and recyclables out and clean the main areas of my floors, by vacuuming the floors, cleaning up the main traffic areas. Some days i would work in the laundry area, there i would load and unload the washers and dryers, and fold the linens.
While I worked there I learned all about housekeeping and how the hotels work, how the laundry room works, the sizes of loads that you had to wash, and how to move the large loads around.
My co-workers were a big help in my job, they were great people to work with and very friendly always willing to help.
The management was very respectful and helpful. They were easy to talk to and approach about problems and suggestions that you would have.
I would say the hardest part of my job on a day to day basis was just balancing out all the work I had to get done as well as taking the calls from the room attendants and getting them the supplies they needed in a timely matter.
The most enjoyable part of my job was how they rewarded us for our hard work, they showed their appreciation for all of the work that we did.
Pros
worked with your schedule and holidays, good benefits
Cons
Lots of gossip between co workers, supervisors could be a bit pushy at times
Wonderful Company to Work For
Service Express Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 16, 2016
There is never a "typical" day at the Westin Buckhead. Considering the fact that hotels are a 24/7 business, we never have true "down time". Our guests are mainly business travelers, so we do have our regular guests. We also have a ton of guests who come to us for a conference or a special event. The best part of the job is my co-workers. Everyone is so different, but seem to work together flawlessly. The hardest part of the job is that you can't please everyone.
Pros
Great guests and co-workers
Cons
No real down time
Good
Front Office Agent (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Job security fer sure
Basically, be good to them and they'll take care of you.
Good company in general and excellent benefits.
fun workplace
dish washer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 4, 2016
i had a good time everyday i started working the management in co workers was great in very helpful and friendly the hardest part was getting use to the hours and my most enjoyable part of the job was the rate of pay.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
three breaks
This was a very fast paced work place.
Catering Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 7, 2016
I supported three catering managers at the Westin Hotel ensuring accuracy and timeliness of the catering documents to be presented to clients for their upcoming event. I also handled customer concerns via phone.
Pros
I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work itself was fun and interesting.
Cons
At the time, women were not allowed to wear pants and that really limited the wardrobe choices in the morning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westin Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.