Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC

Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Employer Reviews

Interning at Westinghouse
Intern (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 21, 2014
Pros: free coffee, clean office, awesome mentor program.
Cons: confined work space
While an intern at Westinghouse, I learned key concepts of business and life within an Engineering office that I had not experienced with any other job previously. It was my first real engineering experience so I kept my ears and eyes open to learn and observe while I could. Westinghouse cultivates a very professional environment and I felt that with – more... each person I talked to, I could learn something from them about how to conduct myself within a professional setting. Company supervisors did well in communicated with employees and working with them on occasion. My supervisor gave me some jobs that I could handle easily and some jobs that I needed to learn to do. The hardest part of the job was initially getting used to daily office life as well as familiarizing myself with company systems and procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with computer software that actually let me accomplish real engineering work that helped progress the company along. Overall, I will say that it was a positive experience with everything that I learned and did, along with the friends and connections that I made there. – less
Contract Senior Structural engineer
Contract Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee), Township of Cranberry, PANovember 17, 2014
I did like it working there, everything is on the campus even working out.
Causal Analysis Lead (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2014
Worked after retiring from military. Good benefits. Nuclear Industry.
Good company to work for
Administrative (Current Employee), Cranberry TownshipNovember 16, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: pay is ok
Good Company with work life balance. Nice work schedule. Co-workers are nice to work with.
Westingouse
Senor Stress Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburg PANovember 16, 2014
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: demanding schedule
Excellent company to work for. The jobs here are fast paced but exciting.
Westinghouse has been very good to me as an employer. We are experiencing hard times in the nuclear business now so that can be seen in my rating.
Senior Reactor Control System Engineer (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 8, 2014
Pros: fast paced, learning a lot, room for growth, good benefits, potential to move around, good people to work with
Cons: micromanagement, too many policies and procedures in place, nuclear business in a slow growth period
In my current position, no day is similar to the previous one. I am a control systems engineer and am currently working on a control system upgrade. The upgrades department is a little more stressful than new plant builds. You have less time, less money, fewer resources and very strict requirements.

I currently work on an upgrade project in Delaware. – more... I've been given just over a year to analyze the requirements, purchase the necessary parts, build and test the system. The deadline is extremely tight and our processes do not make it easier. Management is supportive but extremely pushy. While I understand this is the point of their job, I would like to see management that is a little more technically savvy so they can understand the difficulties of meeting certain soft deadlines. I try to explain issues I'm having and I don't get much help back.

Westinghouse has a lot of processes in place to create a safe, working nuclear power plant. But they don't factor in upgrades groups when developing these processes. It can be very frustrating and slow moving when all I need to do is order a few feet of power cable. But it is extremely satisfying to see a build meet a deadline and test out correctly. The more challenging the assignment, the more rewarding it is to complete on time and under budget. – less
Can be rewarding depending on the manager/dept
Quality (Former Employee), PittsburghNovember 5, 2014
Learned a great deal about the nuclear industry. Lots of reading and following rules.
I like it here.
Principal Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), New Stanton, PANovember 2, 2014
Pros: takes all you have learned into play.
Cons: management is out of touch with reality
Great place to work. Challenging work.
Co-workers are knowledgeable but some are inexperienced.
Management is too large.
Great, well-known place to work
Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee), Cranberry Township, PennsylvaniaOctober 1, 2014
Westinghouse Electric Company is a very well-known Nuclear Energy company located in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania. As a business professional, I'd like to branch out into something a little different to grow my marketing and business skills and to also further grow my profession in a slightly dissimilar environment.
Challenging
Program Manager (Current Employee), PittsburghSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: flexible daily hours, gym on site
Cons: unpaid overtime, mandatory saturdays, and lack of promotion opportunity
Flexible daily hours, however mandatory (unpaid) overtime, including Saturdays has become the norm. No annual raises, and promotions are difficult to come by. Great place to work for folks who don't mind being a cog in the wheel and lack ambition to advance their professional career.
Relaxed environment
Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Cranberry Township, PASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunch if you work on saturdays
Cons: no health benefit for some contractual workers
A typical day at work for me inlcudes checking my emails, reviewing embedment drawings for existing embeds, and/or doing calculations for new embed plates. Some of the task I am given requires communicating with different groups to obtain information that will help me complete my task, which in turn has developed my people skills.
During the course – more... of this job I have become familiar with various design codes which inlcludes ACI-349 and N690 both of which provide specifications for designing structural plates such as deformed wire anchor plates, overlay plates, and headed anchor plates. I have also been exposed to the gtstrudle design software which is used to perform analysis for the structural plates used in the AP1000 nuclear power plant.
Being my first job out of college, I have had to learn how to manage my time to allow myself time to get rest and do leisurely activities which I would say was the most difficult part of the job for. However I have learned how to manage the time I am given withing a day and have adjusted to working 8-10 hours 5 days a week.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is being given a new task. The moment I am given a task I begin to think of the best possible ways to get it completed. Every task I am given has their different levels of challenges which I like because this allows me to learn more as I brainstorm what must be done in order for me to get the job done.
My coworkers are very helpful, and I also try my best to help when a question is directed to me by a fellow coworker, and I find that this also helps to build upon the knowledge I already have about a certain problem/topic. – less
Great team of employees
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Madison, PASeptember 20, 2014
Cons: can occasionally be boring
The Waltz Mill site for Westinghouse is much different than the main headquarters at Cranberry in that there isn't as much mechanical design or testing. The site is much more process engineering and making sure used motors and turbines are refurbished or fixed. The site has a very friendly team of employees.
Pretty good here.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Cranberry, PASeptember 15, 2014
Come to work spend all time you are here working, you will have no problem with management or anyone whatsoever. All you need to do is work and care about what you do.
Too bad I had to retire but if I had stayed my pension would have been lessened.
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great division to work for, initially at the foretront of tele-communications
Cons: senior management was a clique, promoting cronies when so many others were most capable.
The finest place I had the pleasure of working. Too bad the upper management literally destroyed the company with so many bad decisions.
Bureaucratic company slowed by the natural gas resurgence
Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2014
Once a technology leader, Westinghouse has turned itself into a commodity business where the name of the game is cost cutting. It's a tough business to be in for high potential employees.
Nuclear Parts Specialist
Nuclear Parts Specialist (Current Employee), New Stanton, PASeptember 4, 2014
Provide spare parts to customers, including bid proposals, purchase order processing, customer visits, blanket purchase order negotiations, etc.
Not a fan
Senior Mechanical Engineerr (Current Employee), Madison, PAAugust 3, 2014
Not the best place to work. The management idea of boosting profits is to freeze raises.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee), Township of Cranberry, PAJuly 1, 2014
For an internship, with a short period of working time. The environment was flexible and welcoming.
Excellent workplace
Sales Engineer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2014
I enjoyed working here. Unfortunately the company closed due to poor utility contact that bankrupt the company.
Productive Place to Work
Health, Safety, & Environmental Technician (Current Employee), Round Rock, TXJune 21, 2014
Great atmosphere. Wonderful employees.
Learned about HSE requirements.

1 2 3 4 5