Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC

Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Employer Reviews

Not a bad place to work
Nuclear Technician (Current Employee), New Stanton, PAMarch 19, 2014
Westinghouse is ok to work for. The job is challenging, but can be frustrating waiting for parts.
Valuable
Program Manager, Supply Chain Management (Current Employee), Cranberry PAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: opportunities for advancement, challenging work environment
Cons: company is too large, and structure too rigid to allow change
Westinghouse has provided me the opportunitiy to grow professionally
large international company with many opportunities
Product Assurance Specialist (Former Employee), Windsor, CTFebruary 26, 2014
It is a global company. Many jobs have traveling capabilities in and out of the US.
Everyday I am in contact with a Sweden client discussing product shipments and the documentation involved with those shipments. I enjoy the interaction of many individuals in my job.
Westinghouse Review
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2014
Very good company. Some of the managers are technically clueless. Too much micromanagement from the top. Very sophisticated management structure. Overall very good company.
Great place to start
Production Control Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 20, 2014
A good place to learn and gain exp. Not a great place to grow if you are not an engineer.
WFCF was a good place to work, however, Westinghouse does not believe that one needs any manfacturing experience to run a manufacturing facility.
EHS and Sustainability Lead (Current Employee), Windsor, CTJanuary 5, 2014
Starts with morning meetings first with Maintenance and Engineering. Then a site meeting with representatives from all group. Both meetings are standup type meetings. Then day to day work and finally a GEMBA walk throughout the facility.

Management varies: During the ABB days the management had very high degree of manufacturing experience. Under Westinghouse – more... WFCF has been run with managers that had little or no manufacturing experience or knowledge.

Determining what needed to be changed at WFCF to meet the hundreds of EPA, OSHA, DOT, etc. regulations.

Learning new skills and working with the engineering, maintenance and shop floor personnel. – less
Global Tax Intern (Former Employee), Cranberry, PADecember 9, 2013
The new building in Cranberry is amazing and I would work there again if I had the opportunity.
Good
Senior Technical Training Instructor / Developer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 25, 2013
Typical work week, 830-500 Monday thru Friday. Overtime is typical.
Get out now, if you can!
Technician (Former Employee), Cranberry, PANovember 24, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: short lunch, poor leadership, cut throat management, horrible performance review structure, useless union, strong nepotism
Great salary, but that's about it... Well, I guess it was a good learning experiece. Learned a lot about the nuclear industry and how not to treat employees in future management opportunities.
Very hard work/life balance. You are a slave. One will devote their life to Westinghouse, only to be let go. Company is going through huge layoffs. Instead of – more... laying employees off, HR and management is trying to find anything they can to fire employees...trying to save money on severance and unemployment. – less
Tough Place
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee), Newington, NHNovember 17, 2013
Company workload is behind schedule with a shop that is not held accountable for slips in schedules and mistakes made to components in production.
A good workplace especially if you are interested in structural engineering
Pipe Supports Engineer (Current Employee), Cranberry, PANovember 11, 2013
I author pipe support calculations for pipe support designs for the AP1000 nuclear reactor.

I have learned how to use GT-STRUDL Section III and used ASME B31.1 codes to analyze and design pipe supports

The co-workers are very approachable and helpful when handling questions
Contract position
Buyer (Former Employee), Madison, PAOctober 24, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: too far of a commute everyday
I am only contracted at Westinghouse through the end of the year and I was originally told that it was going to be a long term contract or permanent placement opportunity.
Company is dounsizing
Manager - Supplier Quality Oversight (Current Employee), Ogden, UTOctober 10, 2013
Pros: variety of work, limited only by yourself
Cons: high stress
Demanding task oriented environment
Learned human performance management, continuous improvement, visual management, quality systems
Great work enviroment with excellent people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Portsmouth NHOctober 8, 2013
Pros: ability to work at your own pace.
Cons: there are no cons that i have noticed
My typical day at work is scanning and keeping quality records organized by using programs such as microsoft and excel. I learned various clerical duties working here that will benefit me greatly in the future. My most enjoyable part of my day is communicated with my co workers. Everyone has a great attitude which makes it easier to work.
Excellent work place.
Senior Administrative Aide (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2013
Pros: gym on location.
Cons: distant from home to company
A typical day at work is assisting the managers and engineers with editorial revieww, travel arrangements, expense reporting completions, monthly reports sent to various departments, and entry of workforce time on spreadsheet for forecasting of six months work schedule.
Good company going through changes involving culture and management.
Public Relations Manager (Former Employee), Township of Cranberry, PASeptember 17, 2013
Pros: smart, intelligent people
Cons: work life balance can sometimes be difficult
Had many wonderful experiences but career advancement in some functions of company difficult.
Great Technical Field with ample challenges
SYSTEMONE CONTRACTOR (Former Employee), Windsor CT & Newington NHJuly 14, 2013
Pros: technical requirements and challenges
Setup Dynamic Test Group and operated Testing Labs.
Performed FEAs on Reactor Coolant Pumps and various Plants.
Extensive Experience on Flow Induced Vibration testing and analysis.
Technical Project Manager on several Replacement Steam Generator Projects.
lay-offs with no warning
Material Handler (Former Employee), Madison, PAJuly 13, 2013
laid off with less than 1 year to meet retirement benefits. was a good work until the economy tanked and we lost a lot of big contracts.
Good Company to Learn At
Intern - High Voltage Distribution Design (Former Employee), Cranberry, PAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: good people, nice work environment
Cons: cubicals
As an intern there I was readily accepted and included in every aspect of what the engineer in charge of me did. The engineering department was full of very smart, and kind people. I was able to learn a lot about what goes into designing a system. If I needed a day off for whatever reason it was as easy as asking, there was never any hassles about it.
Challenging and supportive
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Cranberry, PAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: great facilities
Cons: currently going through a period of lay-offs
Management on all my contract positions at WEC were easy to work with and helpful. Duties could be varied if you wanted that, they were willing to give me special project as my schedule allowed.