Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC

Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Employee Reviews

Company is failing in the Nuclear Industry
Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 12, 2016
I don't think Westinghouse is capable of completing the 4 Nuclear Power plants in the US. Their skills in Engineering, Procurement, and Construction is lacking. Simply stating- they don't know what they don't know.
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
Poor Management
Struggling company
director (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJanuary 4, 2016
WEC is struggling along with most of the nuclear industry and therefore are cutting corners. Thus expect long hours and a lack of personal development opportunities.
first time on nuclear Project
Pressure Vessel Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAApril 4, 2016
first time on nuclear Project, learned lot of new thing from oil & gas back ground. Trying to use Pressure vessel calculations for very small equipment compare to oil & Gas
Pros
New experience
Cons
very short time
Westinghouse Electric
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, SCDecember 14, 2015
Pay and compensation was nice. Job stability not great. A lot of overtime and weekend work. Good benefits. Not a lot of room for growth.
Get out now, if you can!
Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PANovember 24, 2013
Great salary, but that's about it... Well, I guess it was a good learning experiece. Learned a lot about the nuclear industry and how not to treat employees in future management opportunities.
Very hard work/life balance. You are a slave. One will devote their life to Westinghouse, only to be let go. Company is going through huge layoffs. Instead of laying employees off, HR and management is trying to find anything they can to fire employees...trying to save money on severance and unemployment.
Pros
salary
Cons
short lunch, poor leadership, cut throat management, horrible performance review structure, useless union, strong nepotism
Productive and fast paced environment
Team Coordinator/Manager Backup (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day at work includes starting the day with a huddle meeting. In the huddle we discuss safety, production plans, training, and much more. My coworkers and I are very team oriented. We work well together to meet daily production plans. The most enjoyable part of the job is that no day is the same. Each day presents a new challenge and opportunity to learn and grow.
very respectful company to work for.
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, PAFebruary 29, 2016
at the job I would perform preventative maintenance on all busses. this would consist of fueling , checking oil , wiper fluid , transmission fluid, basically anything one person could do to prevent break down while bus was in rout
Pros
great company
Cons
part time
Challenging and Varied Experience
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PASeptember 9, 2015
My position manages projects ranging from software development, software integration, to infrastructure and security. The company is in the nuclear power industry which is highly regulated. We are a global company which has to provide nuclear power services across multiple countries dealing with a variety of cultures and regulations. Delivering IT projects in this environment is challenging and rewarding.
Intense nuclear power plant design and project implementation
Principal Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Stanton, PAApril 30, 2015
Great place to work. Management is being revamped, however moral and advancement are low.

There exists a great work ethic amongst the more senoir people. The new hires (too many of them) have little concept of exactly what is expected of them, nor the overall implications of careless or incomplete work.
Pros
New and multiple locations.
Cons
Upper Management
Intelligent work environment and interesting projects with great emphasis on safety
ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTFebruary 22, 2013
Interesting projects working on the new AP1000 as well as older plants. Days can very between doing serious analytical work to writing computer code or writing several hundred page documents. Opportunities may also exist to perform assignments in the field.
Pros
intelligent coworkers, people have a passion for the industry
Cons
bad management, poor raises, employees not treated as professionals
Process and Procedure Based Culture with Strict Adherence
Principal Hardware and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJanuary 13, 2016
As a Principal Engineer I was responsible for overseeing design, implementation, review, and approval of hardware, systems, and testing documentation daily both in a cubicle/office setting, as well as manufacturing/production environment.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Good people
Integration Construction Planning Team Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 26, 2016
I work with people that make the job not so bad. The Work is rather dull though, as it seems at most nuke plants.
My day starts and ends the same almost every day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
boring life
Terrible now
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMarch 4, 2016
They laid off a bunch of people and then made everyone work mandatory unpaid overtime to make up for it. Stay away. The people are nice though.
Fun place to work at any age
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAFebruary 23, 2016
As long as you get a long with your coworkers. You will be ok. You are able to learn new skills as you go along. Good place to work
employees are great managment is another story
materials dept (Current Employee) –  Shoreview, MNApril 14, 2015
receive in parts and put them away. co workers are ok some have their won agendas though. management has no clue what goes on. promote people with no experience and let the ones leave they should try to keep. to much stress during they day get pulled in 10 directions always fighting fires. benefits are great though, if you can stand the rest of it
benefits
Cons
management
Don't work in Quality Department
QA Specialist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Shoreview, MNOctober 13, 2015
The quality department management is terrible.
The managers should in no way be "leading" others as they have the personalities of a stapler. rest of the company may be ok but just avoid quality. You get treated bad and work terrible hours.
engineer
Enginner (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Exciting company to watch the new AP1000 become a reality. The company was good. I did not like because of no challenge. I needed more hats to wear
Contract Invoicing involving Fixed Price and Time and Materials
Contract Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Twp., PANovember 6, 2015
With the company being involved with the nuclear energy industry, there was thankfully a very conscious effort to have a very safety-first company.

Westinghouse has some new offerings and acquisitions that should insure a very optimistic future.
Pros
co-workers within the department
Cons
long-term contract position - limited opportunities to go permanent
If you don't mind working in a volatile industry, Westinghouse is a great place to work.
Data Transformation Services / RM Support (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAApril 8, 2012
For the most part, it was a pretty interesting place to work. Up until projects started getting suspended, I kept busy and found ways to advance myself throughout my time here. The CEO definitely has a head on his shoulders, but some of management still runs around like chicken with their heads cut off. My team lead was probably the best mentor I could ever possibly have for the job and it was a great pleasure working for my particular team. Everyone was excited and willing to push the envelope to work hard and get stuff done. My only real problem working here was the difficulty at moving up the ladder. Granted, I was still in school at the time, so I was more or less capped at where I could progress to without a degree. Still, I always wanted something more to strive for.
Pros
great team-work ethic, excellent work environment, training opportunities.
Cons
lack of accountability, hard to move up.
Lean manufacturing orientated.
Quality Control Inspector II (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTOctober 14, 2014
Typically assigned to expedite production because of tight scheduling.
Able to completely understand Lean Manufacturing.
Management and coworkers were always cooperative in solving any problems that would arise.
Changing the culture of the shop because "This is the way we have always done it!"
Solving production problems and making sure that the product made it out the door and to the customer on time.
Pros
always celebrated holidays and major production hurdles with dinners or the like.
Cons
the scheduling of production could have been better.

Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Reviews by Location