Westlake Chemical Employee Reviews

Poor leadership of guys coming in that don't know the business. Not sure how they get the jobs.
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LASeptember 20, 2017
Poor leadership in my area of work. I think it's a dead in job and I'm won't get to move up like I had planned when moving to this company. I came from supervision and just thought I would be there faster.
Little to no advancement opportunity - Poor management
EHS (Current Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 19, 2017
Inexperienced and arrogant management unwilling to accept suggests from other levels of the organization and little to no career advancement opportunities.
Great place to work.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KYAugust 23, 2017
This is a great place to work. The management is great and all the workers are friendly and helpful. The compensation is better than expected with lots of benefits.
Great company to work for
Senior Operator (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LAJuly 9, 2017
great place to work great pay and benifits would recommend anybody thats loooking for a good stable workplace always moving forward in the industry great leaders
Pros
Competitive pay
I respect and enjoy my job.
Sr. Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 5, 2017
I enjoy my job and what I do on a daily basis. A typical day at work is very busy but very rewarding. I work in an environment of Team players.
There is respect on every level from my coworkers to Upper Management.
Having been trained very well I don't actually have a "hard" day at work. I am given the opportunity to learn and excel in any area that is beneficial to my company. Not every company offers that.
I work for a company where everyone is important.
Pros
Good benefits
Requires major culture change and capitol investment to equipment
Maintenance & Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Lake, LAJuly 1, 2017
Westlake is a very good company to work for. That site that I work at was recently bought by them so there a changes taking place for the better. It will take several year before the site that I am working at will be in peak condition. The previous owner let the place go into real bad condition. For years they never invested back into the plant. Now the new owners are rebuilding.
Pros
Easy to move up
Cons
Managment is always changing
Nice place to work
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LA 70734June 27, 2017
I have worked for the company now for two years and it has been a good experience. I have been learning a great deal outside and now I am a board man.
Productive and Safety Oriented Workplace
Process Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 22, 2017
Westlake Chemical offers challenging yet rewarding work in one of the largest scale chlorine and caustic plants in the world. The company culture is professional, safety oriented, and understanding of personal situations.
Pros
Free coffee, competitive pay
Cons
Mistakes can be deadly
work atmosphere
Senior Operation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 18, 2017
Normal work day, Posting production, on call schedules, write and rewriting SOP's (standard operating procedures). Production crew would send SOP's for me to update for them. Lunch planning, Managing inventory.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
not enough hours in the day to complete sop's
No communication from management, conflicting stories when there is
Manager Network and Datacenter Operations (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2017
CIO and management have different stories when they do communicate. Definitely do not follow the following quote:

"It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” - Steve Jobs

The wrong management was put in place. They tripled their size with one acquisition and were not prepared to grow, nor do they have the capacity with current management.
Pros
Cons
working for them

Want to know more about Westlake Chemical?

Ask a question
Great Money, Unique Schedule
Senior QA/QC Laboratory Technician/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 22, 2017
Shift work is not for everyone, but it works for me. If you can get hired here, it's the best job in a 75 mile radius. It's a very secure place to work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hiring process is long
Terrible management and training
Operator (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KYDecember 12, 2016
The top heavy management at Westlake results in a waste of human resource. If they spent more time concentrating on real training instead of kissing up, it would be a better environment for morale overall.
Pros
Good money
Cons
You spend your life working there
Poor management
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2016
Very demanding and poor management. The cutlure is not collaborative and team oriented. They will overwork you if you let them.l
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Managers don't care about you
Lots of Discrimination
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAJune 17, 2016
If you dont look a certain way or know the right people you have no chance here. Only "certain" type of people actually get a real chance to advance. Once upper management has it out for you you're done and there is nothing you can do about it!! All of the workers talk about each other behind each others back than smile in their face. So many different attitudes, mood swings and acting. Most workers pretend to like others because they have to. Everyone blames problems on others. No one is EVER wrong! I can do this all day!
Pros
Great Pay, Vacation, Benefits, Perks
Cons
Very unprofessional work environment. Gossip is ridiculous. Workers and Management are phony
Westake- over all good place
N/A (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2016
over all it is a good company. it's hard to get promoted unless someone leaves the company. the raises are the average cost of living increase of 3% don't expect anything more than that
Chemical Operator/Crane Operator
Crane Operator/Chlorine Dept. operator (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KYDecember 14, 2015
I was in charge of unloading salt barges with a 100 ft boom crane at Westlake Chemicals. I also worked in the Chlorine division repairing and maintaning cell operations.
Sales and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAMay 26, 2015
Flexible hours - One day work from home option
Management is great!
Coworkers are team players
Honestly I don't see any part of the job that is hard.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
healthcare
Internship
Mechanical Engineer Intern Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAApril 6, 2015
This was a good place to do a CO-OP. I learned first hand how engineering from a classroom and from a book is different than working in the plants as an engineer.
Senior Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Responsible for developing detailed job plans including labor, materials, tools, and work procedures. Set-up and maintains any PM/un-planned work orders established including: job plans, frequency of work, etc. Prepares daily work packets for multiple Supervisors, while managing work identification, planning, scheduling, execution, and auditing. Generates PO requests for parts and tools to support the planned jobs. Request permits and walks jobs while also communicating with vendors and contractors as needed. Provides leadership in assuring all requirements of job processes are utilized consistently and effectively to that goals (budget/time) are met. Prepares presentations and conducts weekly meetings with supervisors, production and maintenance personnel. Tracks backlog and shutdown job work orders to ensure data is accurate.
More than a company. More like a family.
Export Logistics Analyst (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
Productive and fun work place. I was a temp the whole time I was here but it was awesome.