Westlake Chemical Employee Reviews

Terrible management and training
Operator (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KYDecember 12, 2016
The top heavy management at Westlake results in a waste of human resource. If they spent more time concentrating on real training instead of kissing up, it would be a better environment for morale overall.
Pros
Good money
Cons
You spend your life working there
Lots of Discrimination
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAJune 17, 2016
If you dont look a certain way or know the right people you have no chance here. Only "certain" type of people actually get a real chance to advance. Once upper management has it out for you you're done and there is nothing you can do about it!! All of the workers talk about each other behind each others back than smile in their face. So many different attitudes, mood swings and acting. Most workers pretend to like others because they have to. Everyone blames problems on others. No one is EVER wrong! I can do this all day!
Pros
Great Pay, Vacation, Benefits, Perks
Cons
Very unprofessional work environment. Gossip is ridiculous. Workers and Management are phony
Westake- over all good place
N/A (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2016
over all it is a good company. it's hard to get promoted unless someone leaves the company. the raises are the average cost of living increase of 3% don't expect anything more than that
Chemical Operator/Crane Operator
Crane Operator/Chlorine Dept. operator (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KYDecember 14, 2015
I was in charge of unloading salt barges with a 100 ft boom crane at Westlake Chemicals. I also worked in the Chlorine division repairing and maintaning cell operations.
Sales and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAMay 26, 2015
Flexible hours - One day work from home option
Management is great!
Coworkers are team players
Honestly I don't see any part of the job that is hard.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
healthcare
Internship
Mechanical Engineer Intern Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAApril 6, 2015
This was a good place to do a CO-OP. I learned first hand how engineering from a classroom and from a book is different than working in the plants as an engineer.
Senior Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Responsible for developing detailed job plans including labor, materials, tools, and work procedures. Set-up and maintains any PM/un-planned work orders established including: job plans, frequency of work, etc. Prepares daily work packets for multiple Supervisors, while managing work identification, planning, scheduling, execution, and auditing. Generates PO requests for parts and tools to support the planned jobs. Request permits and walks jobs while also communicating with vendors and contractors as needed. Provides leadership in assuring all requirements of job processes are utilized consistently and effectively to that goals (budget/time) are met. Prepares presentations and conducts weekly meetings with supervisors, production and maintenance personnel. Tracks backlog and shutdown job work orders to ensure data is accurate.
More than a company. More like a family.
Export Logistics Analyst (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
Productive and fun work place. I was a temp the whole time I was here but it was awesome.
Westlake Chemical is a great fit for go-getters! Dynamic & Challenging!
Senior Training and Talent Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2014
If you are a person with a "go-getter" attitude who wants to develop professionally, Westlake offers a lot of opportunities for skill set expansion, creative problem-solving and stepping outside of your comfort zone. Input from employees is valued by Management, and there are also a lot of positive improvements being made to promote greater employee collaboration and engagement as well as employee appreciation through profit sharing programs, updating the office environments and internal process improvement.
The big decisions are made very carefully and selectively, such as the recent acquisition of Vinnolit, and the result is a very strong, well-positioned company that should continue to grow and perform impressively from a financial and production standpoint.
Pros
Financially strong, established company, competitive pay, profit sharing, great health, dental & vision care plan, flexible work arrangements, open and honest management
Cons
Stringent and even excessive approval processes that can cause unnecessary delays
Productive work environment of around 200 employees
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KYFebruary 12, 2014
We work 4 12 hour days 7 to 7 and 3 10's 7 to 5, During school I have just been working 2 12's on saturday and sunday. First thing every morning I conduct a safety talk to the 70 employee crew I oversee on the job. Being at Westlake I have learned a lot about communication and where it can get you if done efficiently. The hardest part of the job is enduring the cold temperatures for 12 hours a day to make sure my crew is following all safety regulations. i enjoy my time with the guys, they have have taught me a lot.
Pros
Great money with a flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Operator Training (Current Employee) –  Calvery City, KYFebruary 20, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of delivering and receiving materials and parts. We primairly issued out various tools and equipment to maintenance professionals to ensure the plant continued to operate.
Pros
paid lunch breaks
Cons
long hours and many days straight, we once worked 56 straight days for 12 hours each day. left no room for family life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westlake Chemical. Our community is ready to answer.