Westlake Hospital

Westlake Hospital Employee Reviews

Room for advancement, gratification in helping save someones life
Scholarship Student (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILApril 13, 2013
A typical work day would be to transport patients throught the hospital. process xray films, help move patients, help nurses with feeding and bathing patients. Also assist in registering patients that came through the ER. Management were nice but also strict. The co-workers were friendly for the most part. The hardest part of the job was having to lift heavy patients and transport a patient in their bed without any help. The most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to rotate through every department and learn so much from different people.
Pros
benefits, pay
Face Paced Job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 7, 2015
Most days would be regular days at work, Then you'll have days that will have you running around. Cleaning procedures would have to be done the right way for the safety of our coworkers and patients.Most Coworkers from different areas of the hospital were friendly and respectful.
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
No Raises, Just gift cards to Walmart
Productive work place, schedule monthly meetings for encouragment and support.
Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILApril 3, 2015
Hospital enviroment always on the go, pleasant staff, could be a little overwhelming but excellent team support. Monthly department meetings were scheduled to encourage and provide support to staff.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Understaffed
Wonderful Community Hospital
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park IL.May 30, 2012
Very enjoyable enviroment. Learned different computer systems. Hardest part of job was having to collect deductibles and copayments from patients. Great team of coworkers. Most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with patients.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
long hours and different shifts
Hospital
Receptionist and Patient Information (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILMarch 15, 2016
A good hospital that interacts with patients and employees well. I also get to help and assist people in getting test for their health benefit while cooperating with the doctors and nurse.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
n/a
fun experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILDecember 16, 2014
fun place to work , different kinds of people that all get along. Its a different adventure everyday. The jobs they offer have benefits.
Pros
reduce lunches
A great place to allows Management allows skills and experiences to be utilized
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILJanuary 25, 2016
The atmosphere could have some improvements with other employees. Seek employees that will demonstrate willingness to assist in meeting the patients needs.
Friendly and polite work place
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILApril 20, 2014
When I would get in I would take a look at what patients were assigned to me. Then I would start my vitals and chart them. I would check and see which patients were completes and who were assigned to have baths in the morning. In between all of that I made sure to answer call lights. Management were friendly and they did let me choose which days I could work. My co-workers were very helpful and they were like extended family we always helped out each other when we could. The hardest part would have to be making sure all patients needs were met especially when you were assigned 15-18 patients a night. The most enjoyable part was being able to help those patients who cannot help themselves.
Pros
Great amount of time for brake
Cons
Cannot leave building for brake and not much to choose from to eat.
Enjoyable job and great co-workers
Financial Analyst/Biller/Collector (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILOctober 11, 2015
Working at Westlake Hospital taught me a lot about collections, billing, and insurance companies. I gained a huge amount of experience working for this hospital and it has prepared me for future financial positions.
read my review , I explained a lot,
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILNovember 11, 2012
- each day is very difficult , most of the days people experience work burn out
- Since this was my first hospital to work as a nurse I learned all my nursing skills from my wonderful charge nurses
- management: feels like no support, feels like you are on your own, so many changes almost every month if not every week.
- co workers: we all became very good friends, work hard as a team to survive each day, unfortunately most is looking for different job or different hospital , we lose some of our friends already.
- hardest part of job: 6-7-8 patient each day on Tele/Medsurge unit during the day which feels unsafe, impossible to finish all task which as a nurse you feel not complete at the end of shift. Hate to leave things for next shift. I'm a hard worker , not eating lunch to try my best of my ability to complete all task, but still with this # of patient is not realistic to finish everything.
- love to work with patients. Born to be a nurse. Have caring and loving heart for patients and I fill continue to try very hard to keep enjoying to be a nurse. I just wish I can be a part of hospital that is growing, is financially stable so that patient safety and quality of care is number 1, but unfortunately is so hard to find a job. I just pray that this day will come soon and I will be very happy again to go to work and enjoy each day of my work.
Pros
read above
Cons
read above
Small hospital, patient care was excellent, great nursing staff, and nursing supervisor cared about the nurses and patient care:
Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILApril 29, 2015
I had a lot of excellent nursing experience before I went to Westlake Hospital. I was trained at Loyola Medical Center and at the Hines V.A. in Maywood, IL. I had training in cardiac, telemetry, and medical Surgery. The hospital staff and Physician was good, patient was excellent,. The nursing supervisor was great, and cared about the nurses and the quality of patient care: I went to different nurses class to improve my self in cardiac nursing.:
Pros
Very busy, never had time for a lunch or dinner break:
Cons
Busy night, not enough help:
Westlake
Registered Nurse/ System manager (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IlNovember 23, 2012
I have been working at WLH for about 16 years in between I left for 1 year because they would not hire new grads. Working at WLH with so many different management and Companies has been easy to adjust. I've learned to be patient, understanding and compassionate not only towards our patients but with each other. I have been a Charge Nurse and now I am a System Manager. I am the superuser for all of the computer programs at work.
Pros
being a nurse
Cons
short staff
Job security is not safe
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILJanuary 13, 2013
Prepare patients in the am for therapy. Bathe and dress patients accordingly before therapy times. Each patient must be dress and transferred to his/her wheelchair to be transported to therapy room. After breakfast change bed linen and make beds. Care for about 6-18 patients. Before lunch time check vital signs and blood sugars. Co-workers at time are difficult to count on when patients are calling because of the patient to staff ratio. But team work is always important and patients come first. Difficult part of my shift is preparing all my patients before they're therapy time. Overall working with patients has taught me patience, responsibility, compassion, and has given me the knowledge of medical field. Being in the medical field is a great self satisfaction and everything and anything I do I always do it with love and care. No matter what my job duty is it important to accomplish it correctly and with pride.
Pros
patient care experience
Cons
patient to staff ratio
n/a
Occupational Health Clerk (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILMay 5, 2015
What I loved the most about this job. Is the way they welcomed me into their hospital as a volunteer. I didn't have any experience as a medical assistant at the time. So, they let me watch what they were doing, and helped me gain some experience.
Productive and Busy Day in Rehab
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILFebruary 16, 2013
A typical work day involves me working with 17 patients at the most, being the only technician on the floor to perform all my duties to each patient equally. I give showers, check glucose, check vitals, transport and transfer patients, reposition , dress and assist with ADLs
Pros
supportive & helpful cna staff
Cons
short staffing, minimum breaks, minimum off days, bad managing & unfair, rude patients, not a good nursing staff
We hate this place.
Nurses aide (Current Employee) –  Melrose parkSeptember 19, 2012
Westlake dont care about you they have layoff alot of people they have close a lot of departments its like living day to day not knowing if you have a job the next day.we hear we might be closing in dec.
Pros
the people you work with.
Cons
management dont care.
Westlake Hospital
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILMay 31, 2015
Work is work. The administration sucks but the coworkers are great to work with. everyone works individually there is no teamwork at all.
being a productive team player
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILNovember 8, 2012
I felt like westlake was a fun and productive place that I grew very fund of, all my co-workers and I were just like family and we worked very as team players to accomplish whatever tasks we were up against on a daily basis.My mosy enjoyable part about my job was i made a difference on my unit and loved helpling and taking care of others.
Friendly environment!
Community Service Contractor (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILFebruary 20, 2012
I enjoyed working at this hospital, the staff members are really fun and caring people. The staff here knows how to treat their patients and their co-workers and that's what I really liked about this place. It was unfortunate for me that I had to quit but I will always remember my days at Westlake Hospital.
Pros
really good cafeteria food!
Westlake Hospital is a very good place to work and part of Tenet Group
Director Behavioral Health Services (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILMarch 8, 2014
A very friendly and ideal place to work that offers upward mobility and highly interested in employees and the achievement of their goals. Tenet encourages staff development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westlake Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Westlake Hospital Reviews by Location