Westminster Canterbury Employee Reviews

Productive fun place to work.
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23455June 26, 2017
Westminster Canterbury was a great experience for me. I had great training, and with time turned into not only a great hard worker but a great waitress. I built great relationships with the residents I served nightly and never had a problem with my team members. I was a dedicated, hard worker and whenever something needed to be done or fixed I was the employee that everyone went to.
Pros
Paid holidays
They get things accomplished early and have a TV lounge
Dish room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 30, 2017
A typical day consists of cooking all three meals constant washing pots and pans and of course running the dishwasher whenever needed. I have learned to inspect anything that comes out of the dishwasher very carefully. The management is a small group of people that I can certainly learn from if I was in charge on any particular evening in a few ways. The workplace culture has more blacks working than whites so they do quite a few things differently. The hardest part of my job is rolling the big rack of pots and other things that came out of the dish machine across the big kitchen floor without letting anything fall off of it on to the floor. The most enjoyable part of this job is just simply accomplishing all that I wanted to accomplish for the day.
Pros
one free meal per shift as long as it does exceed $7.00
Cons
a free half hour break if one works eight hours or more a day
It is a good job with a wonderful environment
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with and for here. It was a good job for high chill students with flexible hours and the ability to take days off when needed
Productive, fun place to work
CNA/Medication Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Westminster Canterbury. It was a wonderful working environment that had much cultural diversity. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships made with other coworkers and the residents that live there.
Pros
Good healthcare, great friendships, teamwork
Cons
not easy to advance in the work system
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 28, 2017
I currently work PRN at Westminister Canterbury but it is great place to work.
I have gained a lot of experience while working there.
Management is very understanding and approachable.
There is a lot of teamwork
Everyone that is there full time loves there job so it is difficult for me to get full time opportunity.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
can't get full time employment
Great money and benefits some supervisors can be very disrespectful
Cook Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 21, 2017
Great place for experienced workers okay for first time jobs. Supervisor can be nice and friendly at times and other times some can be down right mean and disrespectful
Wmc
Social Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 1, 2017
Westminster Canterbury is a beautiful location directly on the Chesapeake bay. I value the experience and knowledge I gained while working for this community.
I loved serving the people who came in.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 22, 2017
I waited tables,set tables, The management was great.I loved woring around the elderly people that came in.i learned to appreciate people more.And the tips were great.
Beautiful Location
Coordinator / Interim Admission Director (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, VAFebruary 16, 2017
Westminster Canterbury is a beautiful location, there is room for growth and advancement. I am very grateful to have been employed for this facility and thankful for everything I have learned during my employment.
Very productive and I learned great skills.
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 15, 2017
I worked at this job while in high school and at CVCC. It was a very good job, and I learned a lot of skills here. I had to leave because of school. Typical day at work was serving the residents and my coworkers were easy to get along with.
Westmister Canterbury
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, VAAugust 29, 2016
Long hours little pay and a lot of racism. The residents are okay . some are racist. The employees are gossipy. Did not working their and would not recommend to my family and friends
Pros
Cons
hard work for little pay
Need to improve employee parking
RMA (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 18, 2016
They will block employee parking lot for a benifit of their company. And will write you a ticket for parking in a guess spot since you cannot find a spot to park. After recieving a first and final ticket the next time you park in a guees spot they will get your car thowd.
Pros
Beach front
Cons
Parking lot
Joyful place to work
Externship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2016
This company provides all-round care of elderly people. It is all-in-one facility provider. All managers and supervisors and employees are very helpful and caring. They treat all the people who leave there and work there fairly as their family members.
cooperative job atmosphere with wonderful customers to serve.
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 8, 2016
A normal day at work starts slow then picks up later. You learn a lot through job training's that are mandatory. Management is always willing to listen to any issues employees have. Co-workers are friendly and enjoyable. the job is easy but can get hectic at times. Working at this job is enjoyable due to the customers you interact with.
Pros
Free lunch, same customers, great employee appreciation, and great benefits
Cons
Short breaks and normally understaffed.
Terrible place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VA 24501June 23, 2016
Management is horrible. They don't appreciate their employees. Most of the residents are very nice and respectful, but some are completely shallow and small-minded.
Upper management does not know how to treat employees.
Several positions (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 7, 2016
People (management) always in your face.
I learned not to trust anyone.
Management holds grudges. Speak your mind and you will go nowhere and they will smile in your face and stab you in a heartbeat. There evaluation process is BS. You are not being rewarded for what you do. They pick you apart so they don't have to give you a decent increase. They should have an across the board cost of living raise for everyone and then evaluate according. Not tearing them apart. If that employee has worked hard giving you what they need and was there going above and beyond then by all means give them a little extra You are really not recognized for what you do either. They don't know how to retain employees.
Only a few choice co-workers could you trust.
Not telling them off on a daily basis.

The most enjoyable part: RESIDENTS (loved everyone of them)

It was a wonderful place to work in early 2000
Pros
Residents
Cons
Lack of caring for the employee.
Coworkers working well together is the biggest help
Medication Aide (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 31, 2016
A typical work day is very busy with all medication and ADL care. Knowing your residents help with time management as to help throughout the day adjust to any unforeseen issues. The hardest part is working without enough staff. Residents being happy with there care and me is most enjoyable.
Pros
We have an awesome cafeteria at a awesome price
Cons
12 hour shifts biggest con of job
Horrible Work place that does not care about their employees
Bistro Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winchester VANovember 25, 2015
Management will do anything to cover what what they have done wrong.

If you are a hard worker they will push you out and try their best to terminate you.
Excellent workplace
Educational Partnerships
Growth potential
A very interactive place
it intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 9, 2015
I can only think of one day that really challenged me. It started off easy I was helping a resident with her Netflix by giving her some tips on restarting the buffering screen when she trying to watch back to back shows. So that it does not appear to take forever to watch the next episode. As soon as I left the residents room one of my employees spotted me and asked "did I work with the IT?" I responded saying yes and did she need something. We discussed what was her issue an unfortunately it had to do with a printer that stopped working. I requested that she could summit a ticket for me so that my work would be credited by my supervisor. Next someone else pops up next to me while I was explaining why I needed a ticketed submitted before I work on the situation. The person that was came over was reporting a new problem with the All In One (AIO) computers that Westminster owned. I had to stay come and take down the new information that they were supplying me because we have had issues with the AIO computers before. Once I finally finished with both of them I check my laptop and headed back to the office to give the new information to my supervisor and to check to see if a ticked was submitted. all of this happened with in about 30-45 minutes I think its crazy how fast things can escalate in a short amount of time.
Cons
It was a Short internship

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westminster Canterbury. Our community is ready to answer.