Westminster College Employee Reviews

Every day is different
Costume Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2017
The costume shop in the theater department at Westminster college was an afterthought. As a costume technician, our Costume Shop is in a basement storage room with no windows or even cell phone reception. Working in the theater department is a delight thanks to the people! Being an afterthought to the college itself is definitely a disappointment.
Pros
Fun people.
Cons
No healthcare to PT. No chance of FT because they don't want to pay for benefits.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant, History Department (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PADecember 27, 2016
I'm sure this sentiment relies on the profess or department assigned, but the experience was very educational. Working closely with mentor/professor on historical research project. Gives student a taste of professional academic life.

Spent many days in the library. Occasional meetings with mentor to discuss goals and objectives.
five star
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 19, 2016
Wonderful coworkers and great work environment. I have enjoyed working for them and currently work as adjunct. I am willing to answer any additional questions.
Pros
great place
Cons
Exciting and friendly work environment
Student Athletic Trainer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 15, 2016
Working for the athletic training staff at Westminster College was an excellent experience. In my first year I showed the ability to learn quickly and be an asset to the staff to help with their workload. I learned how to tape ankles, setup athletes for treatment on an electrical stimulation machine, enter data and keep injuries up to date on the records, and massages. In the following years I trained the new hires and was in charge of them for their first year of work. This job taught me a lot and showed me that I am able to learn quickly and apply what I learn immediately in order to help out.
Overall a great experience for working as a team and building communication and time management skills
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PASeptember 29, 2016
A typical day would include interacting with residents and making sure that the transition into college life was as seamless as possible. On a normal on duty day, I would make three rounds around the building. These rounds would ensure that all the doors in the building were locked, that the students were safe, and that the students were following the policies of the college. Once a week there were faculty meetings to go over any overall issues during the week and also maintain the well-being of the group. On occasion I would personally have to perform conflict resolution strategies between roommates, and would have to be able to confront students breaking policy. The confrontation within the job was the most difficult part. No one wants to be the bad guy in a situation, however, policies are implemented to ensure the safety of the students and therefore occasional confrontation was important. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to see the internal development of the students and watching the love for the institution grow, just as mine did when I was a freshman. The only thing that I wish the school had done differently is that they paid us cash instead of covering room fees, which I would have rather had. But overall I had an incredible staff, and that allowed me to acquire new skills and hone in on other skills that I had not often used.
College Employment
(STS), Student Technical Service (Current Employee) –  Fulton, MOJuly 9, 2016
It is a college employment and I was allowed to work 20 hrs a week. Some of the areas we worked are:
- All aspects of the front line support for networking and security issues.
- As needed, explain and help students work through the network connection process.
- Promote and educate students on the safe practices of network computing.
Great Staff, Laid back work environment
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PAJuly 21, 2014
-Multiple duties that required longer days at times. Quality time off during the summer.
-Learned what its like at higher education level.
-Management of college basketball program.
-A pleasure working with entire staff.
-Hardest part of the job was putting in long hours, especially during the season.
-Most enjoyable part was the travel, meeting and recruiting student athletes, and of course coaching.
Pros
Great colleagues, quality time off when necessary
Cons
Long hours, salary was very low
Westminster College is a challenging work environment that inspires staff, faculty, and students to be the best version of themselves.
Computer science and IT Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOMarch 5, 2015
over the course of the four years at Westminster College, my knowledge about IT (Hardware and Software) was challenged by my supervisor.
The challenges were presented to me as projects such rewiring and upgrading the systems of a building. or Ghost imaging tens of computers and deploying them to staff. faculty, and students alike, and many more...
over the 4 years at Westminster I gained most of my knowledge about Information Technology today, from simple helpdesk tasks such as troubleshooting, maintaining, and customer service, to major setups of AV, Networking, and communications hardware.
And so overall, Working and Studying at Westminster College has been a spectacular experience.
Pros
friendly environment, diversity of cultures, and great benefits
Cons
relatively low salaries
Great place to work if looking to get a masters.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 19, 2012
You will work hard, but learn valuable skills to propel you into a future career. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with college students as they grow and turn into educated adults.
Pros
discounted tuition, retirement
Cons
compensation, lack of rewards, little advancement and training
Easy going workplace that allowed me to be productive.
Behnken Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2016
Working as a hall monitor in my building was enjoyable. Whenever new people came to visit the building, we got to tell them about how much we enjoyed living there and always got to talk to friends. The main duty of supervision allowed us free time to do homework, which was super helpful. Each shift was only a few hours long, but that time gave us lots to do.
Pros
Easy environment to work in, free time.
Cons
Not moving from that one spot.
Great place to work.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 14, 2012
I was only offered part time work (4 hours of teaching a class + about 4 hours of preparation per week). For this I received $1000 per month. That is quite generous, but is not enough for me to live on.

I taught Tuesday and Friday from 2 to 4 PM. I did my preparation in addition to this.

I learned how to do a better job of teaching a ground school.

Management for me was just one supervisor. He was really great to work for. I had one other co-worker who did the same as me except he was full time teaching more classes and maintaining a simulator. Nice guy and a pleasure to work with.

The hardest part for me was to grade the students. I had been used to just giving a pass or fail in my former teaching at the airlines.

The best part of the job was to work directly with the young people in my class and share ideas with them.
Pros
a college atmosphere is a great place to work.
Cons
grading fairly
Productive and task oriented
Westminster Summer Basketball Camp Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2016
• Create a weeklong schedule of drills, activities and games.
• Teach skills and technique to players.
• Motivate players to reach their potential.
• Manage/coach a team.
• Communicate with camp coaches to stay organized and on task during the week.
A good starting point
Wellness Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fulton MOJune 24, 2015
It depends on where you work on Westminster's campus but both of the jobs that I have worked at have had nothing but great people to work with. People love their jobs and are always willing to help you with anything. Since I have only worked as a student I don't really get any benefits per say but the educational value is worth it in and of itself.
Productive and Fun
Box Office Attendant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2014
I would work during school hours, but usually no more than 4 hours at a time. I would also work weekends when we needed to be there for shows. My supervisor was amazing, as were my co-workers. The most difficult part of the job was it being a bit boring at times and dealing with irate customers. I loved how flexible and fun this job was.
Pros
Great management, flexibility, fun, productive
Cons
Pay (minimum wage), customers
Excellent Job Culture
Associate. Director Operations GAPS/ Executive Ed (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2015
The best thing about working for Westminster is the culture. Working with students is extremely fulfilling work knowing you are helping them get an excellent start in life.
Not a good place to work
Assistant Professor of Business (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PaAugust 21, 2013
Management is poor at best, unethical, and misguided. No clear strategic direction, strategic plan, or strategic mission. Teaching students are not the priority for faculty and administration. Faculty is a mismash of friends of the dean, political appointments, and nepotism.
Cons
No faculty development, support funds, ethics, or direction. Poor resources for academic research. No future for young faculty.
As apart of my College Scholarship
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MoAugust 14, 2012
• inventory management to ensure safety through machine upkeep, usage volumes, and customer preference for proper inventory mix
• customer care to ensure safety along with individual development and repeat business as well as referrals
• management of staffing requirements and balancing with individual needs for maximum employee satisfaction
Pros
time to work and complete class assignments
Flexible and comfortable work environment
Junior Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 10, 2013
Typical day of work includes: organizing call sheets and call notes, making phones calls to alumni to update records, inform them of school events, and request donations to the school. Management is excellent and very understanding of our needs as students and is very willing to work one on one to help us solve an job-related issues we encounter.
Fun jobs that had diversity
Music Library Aide (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PAMay 15, 2012
A typical work day at the Westminster College Music Library was to check in and out music items (ie. scores, cds, records, and reserved items). I learned how to work with others on projects and help patrons finding items that they needed. My manager handed out tasks when she was there to help keep the Library clean. My co-workers were friendly and I helped train new students on the proceedures. The hardest part of the job was balencing out multiple patrons when I was the only person in the Library. The most enjoyable part was when all of the aides would get together and play games on each other (ie. Where's Waldo).
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
was only able to work 8 hours per week
Fascinating, Respectful, Learn a Lot Doing What You Love
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 17, 2013
I truly miss this job--I had to give it up when I graduated and lost my student status. The department was flexible, friendly, and ever helpful. They would get to know you as a person and become acquainted with your strengths and weaknesses and assign you work accordingly. They often handed me projects I felt may be above my level, but when I succeeded time and time again I realized that had been their goal in assigning it. I learned much about my aspirations, skills, and how to interact with and teach a variety of people in various, dynamic ways.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westminster College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2