Westmoreland County Community College Employee Reviews

Great education at an affordable price
Adjunct English Faculty (Current Employee), Youngwood, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: schedule is made according to your availability, variation in courses given to teach
Cons: it's difficult to get more than two classes a semester to teach unless you're full time.
The dean of my department is considerate, professional, even tempered and fair. One of the full time faculty members schedules courses for the part-time faculty and always does his best to meet the needs of the part-time instructors. The most difficult part of the job is the school does not have an attendance policy for the students, and the instructors are not to base grades on attendance. However, I enjoy the flexibility in course instruction, which helps me to maintain higher course participation from my students. We are assigned texts to use each semester and certain course components/requirements to implement, but we are also encouraged to incorporate other materials of our choosing.
summary
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: learned a lot, good for future jobs
Cons: low pay, limited hours
Awesome job learned a lot of the workings of a gallery. Very professional atmosphere and a lot of fun. Its a good intro into this type of job.
Flexiable schedule
Tutor/Notetaker (Current Employee), New Kensington, PAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: flexiable schedule
Cons: no guaranteed hours
I enjoy tutoring a vairety of subjects. You get to meet students at different points in life. Opportunities to tutor at other locations.
Teach accredited college classes.
Associate Instructor (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAOctober 20, 2014
Teach students, young and old, computer science, MSOffice, database and system design.
Enjoyable working environment.
Work Study (Former Employee), Uniontown, PAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great working environment, and being able to complete work.
Cons: no healthcare or raises.
Answering phone calls, opening and closing procedures, filing, using different programs on computer, checking mail, and helping teachers and students. I've learned about how to do a secretarial job efficiently. Co-workers are very nice. No job that is really too hard. The most enjoyable job is being able to complete your duties for every shift.
Great feeling of satasification when a student is able to learn from what you are teaching them.
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAJune 9, 2014
Pros: flexible time schedule
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day would be for me to go to my scheduled class and then to go to the learning center and wait for the scheduled student to show up for their tutoring session. The student would explain to me what they were doing in math class and what they were having trouble with. I would then explain to them and show them how to find the correct way to find the answer. To know that they understood how to accomplish a problem, I would make them explain/ teach me.
The most enjoyable part of teaching math was seeing the students face when they finally understood how to get the answer.
Best bang for the buck to enable students to get a taste of college life.
Adjunct - Business & Technology (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAOctober 31, 2013
I learned that the only thing one can be sure of in life it that one must adapt to change in order to succeed.

There is a great deal of preparation time needed to be successful as an adjunct. However, that is necessary for any teaching position. When textbooks change it requires even more time and preparation.

Meeting and teaching students of multi culteral backgrounds and ages for me is the most enjoyable part of the job. Each student is unique and as such, a challange to bring forth the best that they can be.

Scheduling for adjuncts will vary. The Dean will try to schedule classes that suit the need of the Adjunct where possible (Daytime, evening, or Online classes).
Very progressive and forward thinking institution
Part Time Professor (Current Employee), Youngwood, PAAugust 20, 2013
Work environment allows for creativity. Expect to present information to students that is current and on the cutting edge.
Technical Support
Technical Support Associate (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAJuly 30, 2013
• I helped troubleshoot and diagnosed technical issues such as, students account and password reset, installations, hardware maintenance and properly documented tickets
• Managed users rights in Active Directory and performed helpdesk support by means of telephone and email to students and faculty members.
• Troubleshooting Microsoft and Linux Operating Systems
• I collaborated with network security administrators to deploy network intrusion detection and prevention systems.
• Earned solid reputation for outstanding performance on special projects
sold used college textbooks on a contingency basis
Used Book Store Clerk (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: helping other students
Cons: not enough hours
sold used college textbooks to students for the college. I learned business math skills and calculators. Management was superior as were co-workers. Hardest part was only at the beginning and end of semesters. I knew that I was helping students by selling books on a cheaper basis.
i liked working night shift i liked the college
custodian (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAJanuary 6, 2013
i liked working at the college and working night shift you get to attend classes for free ,
Pay was always Minimum wage through the grant
Senior Center (Former Employee), Youngwood, PaSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: learning some skill
Cons: was not given the opportunity to learn as many skills as i should have
They promised to locate you at a new job after 2 years and they did not. My one and only position with them, The supervisor was to teach me new skills and she did not do that either.

We did have a class on Microsoft Word 2007 but it was very short. We asked for Excel. We didnt get that either but we did have a FREE site to learn some other skills.

I asked for some other computer classes and I was not acted on until the funds got low. The funds were there. I was told maybe other people need some classes. If they wanted them, The funds would have been already gone at that time My job developer was some what good but so much was denied. I am not sure all things were true
We use our teaching skills to present to the students a methodology to learn the essence of the many facets of the course subject matter.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Youngwood, PAMay 14, 2012
The Computer Tech. and Business Department at WCCC, is a great place to teach. The Dean is a progressive and dynamic individual and his qualities are inbedded in the nature of the Department. He insists on quality teaching and follows all Permanent and Part time instructors to make sure that we all utilize quality and the latest teaching techniques.

He is fair in his management style and demands a quality performance in teaching skills from the faculty. He requires us to keep up with the latest technology in the educational world.
Fun
Dental Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Youngwood, PAFebruary 28, 2012
I didn't get a chance to work there long enough to give them a review. I did attend college there and my teacher was actually my boss so that was really nice. She was a great teacher and boss (for the short time).