Westmoreland County Community College Employee Reviews

In midst of major changes in every area, some good, some not.
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  OfficeOctober 18, 2016
In midst of major changes in every area, some good, some not. Great health benefits and some excellent coworkers but job insecurity and poor communication.
Pros
Great benefits and many great people.
Cons
Job insecurity and overall communication problems.
Under payed and management does not appreciate your hard work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJanuary 13, 2017
Management does not appreciate the work you put into your job. Your hard work is not respected. Faculty and staff are underpaid. Not big on properly training staff.
Enjoyable working environment.
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJuly 14, 2014
Answering phone calls, opening and closing procedures, filing, using different programs on computer, checking mail, and helping teachers and students. I've learned about how to do a secretarial job efficiently. Co-workers are very nice. No job that is really too hard. The most enjoyable job is being able to complete your duties for every shift.
Pros
Great working environment, and being able to complete work.
Cons
No healthcare or raises.
Enthusiastic and engaging work atmosphere
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAJuly 2, 2016
I arrive an hour early to properly prepare my classroom and class documents, review the day's lesson plan(s), and visualize the day's lesson. I know each and every one of my students personal hobbies and interests, as well as educational goals and aspirations. I open with an interesting 'real world' application of the day's topic of discussion.

Music (the students submit their favorite songs/artists at the beginning of the semester on an index card) is incorporated before, during and after the lesson. A learning atmosphere of excitement and active participation is created and sustained for the 2 hour class.
The most enjoyable part of my day is being in front of the students, presenting my lesson with passion and enthusiasm to the class. The classroom is managed effectively, with professional and relaxed atmosphere for learning created and maintained consistently.

Quizzes, homework assignments are graded promptly (the night of the assignment collection date) and grades are posted that evening (the most demanding part of the job at times) Students' feedback is encouraged and student inquiries and emails are promptly answered.

I clean my lab station so that the lab is in neater/better condition than when I entered it. I have excellent (professional and humorous) relations with my fellow administrative workers and professors.

This is a typical day at my current work-place.
Pros
Flexibility and Nature of the job
Cons
Would like full-time work
Typical
Student services (Current Employee) –  Youngwood, PAFebruary 7, 2015
The company has great benefits; that is why most employees work there. The compensation is average. There is not enough staff to fully serve the students properly.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of staffing
We use our teaching skills to present to the students a methodology to learn the essence of the many facets of the course subject matter.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Youngwood, PAMay 14, 2012
The Computer Tech. and Business Department at WCCC, is a great place to teach. The Dean is a progressive and dynamic individual and his qualities are inbedded in the nature of the Department. He insists on quality teaching and follows all Permanent and Part time instructors to make sure that we all utilize quality and the latest teaching techniques.

He is fair in his management style and demands a quality performance in teaching skills from the faculty. He requires us to keep up with the latest technology in the educational world.
Pay was always Minimum wage through the grant
Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PaSeptember 26, 2012
They promised to locate you at a new job after 2 years and they did not. My one and only position with them, The supervisor was to teach me new skills and she did not do that either.

We did have a class on Microsoft Word 2007 but it was very short. We asked for Excel. We didnt get that either but we did have a FREE site to learn some other skills.

I asked for some other computer classes and I was not acted on until the funds got low. The funds were there. I was told maybe other people need some classes. If they wanted them, The funds would have been already gone at that time My job developer was some what good but so much was denied. I am not sure all things were true
Pros
learning some skill
Cons
was not given the opportunity to learn as many skills as i should have
Great education at an affordable price
Adjunct English Faculty (Current Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJanuary 26, 2015
The dean of my department is considerate, professional, even tempered and fair. One of the full time faculty members schedules courses for the part-time faculty and always does his best to meet the needs of the part-time instructors. The most difficult part of the job is the school does not have an attendance policy for the students, and the instructors are not to base grades on attendance. However, I enjoy the flexibility in course instruction, which helps me to maintain higher course participation from my students. We are assigned texts to use each semester and certain course components/requirements to implement, but we are also encouraged to incorporate other materials of our choosing.
Pros
Schedule is made according to your availability, variation in courses given to teach
Cons
It's difficult to get more than two classes a semester to teach unless you're full time.
Great feeling of satasification when a student is able to learn from what you are teaching them.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJune 9, 2014
A typical day would be for me to go to my scheduled class and then to go to the learning center and wait for the scheduled student to show up for their tutoring session. The student would explain to me what they were doing in math class and what they were having trouble with. I would then explain to them and show them how to find the correct way to find the answer. To know that they understood how to accomplish a problem, I would make them explain/ teach me.
The most enjoyable part of teaching math was seeing the students face when they finally understood how to get the answer.
Pros
Flexible time schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Best bang for the buck to enable students to get a taste of college life.
Adjunct - Business & Technology (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAOctober 31, 2013
I learned that the only thing one can be sure of in life it that one must adapt to change in order to succeed.

There is a great deal of preparation time needed to be successful as an adjunct. However, that is necessary for any teaching position. When textbooks change it requires even more time and preparation.

Meeting and teaching students of multi culteral backgrounds and ages for me is the most enjoyable part of the job. Each student is unique and as such, a challange to bring forth the best that they can be.

Scheduling for adjuncts will vary. The Dean will try to schedule classes that suit the need of the Adjunct where possible (Daytime, evening, or Online classes).
Technical Support
Technical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJuly 30, 2013
• I helped troubleshoot and diagnosed technical issues such as, students account and password reset, installations, hardware maintenance and properly documented tickets
• Managed users rights in Active Directory and performed helpdesk support by means of telephone and email to students and faculty members.
• Troubleshooting Microsoft and Linux Operating Systems
• I collaborated with network security administrators to deploy network intrusion detection and prevention systems.
• Earned solid reputation for outstanding performance on special projects
sold used college textbooks on a contingency basis
Used Book Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAFebruary 7, 2013
sold used college textbooks to students for the college. I learned business math skills and calculators. Management was superior as were co-workers. Hardest part was only at the beginning and end of semesters. I knew that I was helping students by selling books on a cheaper basis.
Pros
helping other students
Cons
not enough hours
Very progressive and forward thinking institution
Part Time Professor (Current Employee) –  Youngwood, PAAugust 20, 2013
Work environment allows for creativity. Expect to present information to students that is current and on the cutting edge.
summary
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Awesome job learned a lot of the workings of a gallery. Very professional atmosphere and a lot of fun. Its a good intro into this type of job.
Pros
learned a lot, good for future jobs
Cons
low pay, limited hours
Flexiable schedule
Tutor/Notetaker (Current Employee) –  New Kensington, PAJanuary 3, 2015
I enjoy tutoring a vairety of subjects. You get to meet students at different points in life. Opportunities to tutor at other locations.
Pros
flexiable schedule
Cons
no guaranteed hours
Fun
Dental Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAFebruary 28, 2012
I didn't get a chance to work there long enough to give them a review. I did attend college there and my teacher was actually my boss so that was really nice. She was a great teacher and boss (for the short time).
Teach accredited college classes.
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAOctober 20, 2014
Teach students, young and old, computer science, MSOffice, database and system design.
i liked working night shift i liked the college
custodian (Former Employee) –  Youngwood, PAJanuary 6, 2013
i liked working at the college and working night shift you get to attend classes for free ,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westmoreland County Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3