Westport Shipyard Employee Reviews

great place to work
Plant Mgr. Gerard Green (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAOctober 13, 2015
great benefits, good team work. Good hours. Loved working on the Mega Yachats building superior furniture.

There were Leads that were not as knowledgeable as they needed to be so they could be of support to the team. We had a stretch and flex every morning to prepare us for our day. It was both fun and needed for a good moral. Company gatherings were nice and needed for the company moral. Management gets a 3 star from me, I felt work performance should have been about quality and not so much the numbers. Meeting goals comes with top notch experience and is not for the new comer.
Pros
I appreciated the work efforts and my team members
Cons
short lunches, some politics (not a fan of politics)
Strong " Clicks "
Hard line Hydraulic installer, Metal fabricator, (Former Employee) –  Westport Shipyard, HoquiamAugust 21, 2012
Work was easy, problems were only with management. Constant harassment from a weak lead for 2 years. When he brought a weapon to work for intimidation and it was brought to the HR dept, the HR dept sided with the lead. Before this lead returned, I was advancing well,employee of the month, submitting design changes, and was complemented on streamlining the hydraulic systems by other supervisors saying my work was a work of art. On my last fire pkg ship I Installed almost 900' of hard line stainless into their ships in only a week. The "collusion" I faced when bringing a lead into HR was dissapointing. Even bringing a picture of the weapon to show proof, got me fired within 2 hours. I worked there for four years and really loved my job. I thought it was the right thing to do, but Collusion wins. Also the fact they will not allow me to recover my tools for a week ads insult to injury.
Pros
i loved my job, my supervisor was helpful and supportive
Cons
management, hr dept disfunctional.
A great place to work.
Sander/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJune 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the crew.

I liked that we did stretch and flex every morning as an entire team.

I did wish that there was more open communication between management and the worker bees.

The most enjoyable part was that you could have a good belly laugh and not hurt anyone's feelings.
Pros
A straight schedule and you knew what you were coming into each day.
Cons
Getting laid off and they won't hire me back for some unknown reason.
Good people bad training
Joiner/ Cabinet Maker (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WANovember 11, 2014
Co-workers were amazing. The interiors plant was a great place to work. The major issue here was not knowledge of the employees or the management of knowing the technical points of any job there. Most if not all of the management rose through the ranks and this is where most of the failures occur. No managers at the time had the slightest training in HR or employee management. I was hit by a fork lift injuring 3 disks in my neck. Two months later I was terminated for missing work while going to "Too Many" physical therapy appointments. This would not have happened if anyone in the chain of command had HR training. I hope that since 2008 they have remedied that lack of training.
Not a career company.
Fairing Lead (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAFebruary 5, 2014
My job entails sanding, mudding, the use of a lot of chemicals to prep surfaces, applying paint, masking, and constantly fixing others mistakes. I did learn the paint and fairing process and how to coordinate with other departments. The management there seems to lean towards favoritism, but can be fair at times, seems kind of like a good ole boys club. My co workers for the most part are great. The hardest part of the job would be pulling 16 hour shifts to meet a deadline for production to stay on schedule when if things would be coordinated better there would be no need for the rush. The most enjoyable part is completing tasks faster then the time given without sacrificing quality or craftsmanship. Also helping others with problems completing their work.
Pros
Company picnics, bbqs, and holiday pay.
Cons
Micro managed, poor communication between upper management and schedules
To obtain fiberglass laminator position and utilize my experience, knowledge, skills and abilities for the successful completions of each job duty.
FIBERGLASS LAMINATOR (Former Employee) –  Westport, WAOctober 17, 2015
Laminated layers of fiberglass on molds to form boat decks and hulls.
Mixed catalyst into resin and saturates cloth and mat with mixture, using brush.
Worked saturated mat and cloth into shape of mold Laminate layers of fiberglass on molds.
Released air bubbles and smooth seams, using rollers.
Was great while it lasted.
Welder Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Westport, WAMarch 29, 2012
I worked for this company for 15 years. Advancement opportunity was mediocre. There is no job security there, though, because they laid off their highest-paid employees first during downsizing. There are many job types available,though, and someone looking for entry level work in the yacht building industry would find this employer to be a good choice.
Pros
good opportunity for entry level worker
Cons
no job security for experienced workers.
Production fast paced
Powdercoat (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTOctober 20, 2015
Powdercoating parts for 3 Westport shipyards. Worked alone. Hardest part was lifting and moving parts from the wash to the oven.
Poor management
shipwright (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJune 20, 2014
This company was recently purchased. Hopefully the new owners will recognize poor managers and no set standard. The standard we go by can change from one day to another on the whim of who makes a "call". The armchair quarterbacking is Horrible. We have engineers who are bullied and managers making engineering decisions. Last I understood managers were to manage a streamlined and productive process. The waterfront facility has a very strong favoritism attitude and hard workers are often sidelined or blamed for " things not getting done" because of poor workers who are popular. The new owners would save a alot of money and have much happier employees by brining out a magnifying glass on supervisors and managers who are responsible for telling hard workers to work harder and not talk about non work related content then spend an hour talking about how their weekend went. We bonused on one boat because everybody including leads, managers and supervisors were doing thier jobs and then helping with hands on build when they were caught up.The only reason this boat had a bonus was the management along with everyone else was afraid of getting laid off so everybody worked hard. Nobody is scared and management is back to finger pointing and wasting time with favoritism, taking money out of all our pockets. The hardworkers still work hard and the new boat is on course for another astronomical amount of hours. Do we really need a manager, supervisor and three leads in a department with less than ten floor workers? How about two supervisors and one lead heavy lift/building ops with only two  more... floor workers? Heavy lift supervisor, why? He walks around all day for months with his hands in his pockets because we only have a few heavy lifts a year. When asked are you part of building operations the response is "im the heavy lift supervisor I dont do building operations". Ok well two heavy lifts in 3 months and doing nothing in between, what a waste. Maybe one supervisor and 4 floor workers would be a place to streamline the process and save money.  less
Pros
Free coffee, a few paid holidays
Cons
Favoritism, no pay scale, poor management and supervision
Poor management
Mechanical Systems installer (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WADecember 28, 2013
poor communication between leads and workers. Poor communication between trades. Surprised things lasted as long as they did. Surprised they managed to complete a boat basically they build it twice. Put it in then tear it out thats the way things work. Do it how you want, but not like that was another way they think. Would have been a nice place to work except for that. Very much into the blame game. Ask questions but get greif for asking questions.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
most poorly managed company ever
Great compant I got layed off due to the economy
heavy lift / load and launch (Former Employee) –  Westport, WANovember 3, 2012
We were the hardest working crew at the yard, tons of overtime it was a very challenging job, working with cranes we put our lives in jeapordy every day, we lifted any where from 2000 lbs up to half a million lbs of yaut four feet in the air to put wheels under it, the yauts are 140 ft long , 70 ft tall and 30 feet wide. We put our lives in eachothers hands every day, i enjoyed my job
Great People, Great Place, Bad Timing
Hoquiam, WA (Former Employee) –  FairingNovember 4, 2011
I was part of their huge layoff - 2 weeks after they told us no one was in danger of losing jobs. I just had a son 2 months prior.
Pros
tool purchase, family events
Great Place to work
Plant/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAAugust 3, 2014
produces a great product known world wide with very talented employees who enjoy what they do. President of the company is a great man who truly cares about his employees.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
fun and productive place to work
boatbuilder (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJanuary 5, 2014
productive and fun workplace, trained many young people how to do their jobs.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short brakes
Building OPS
Building Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJanuary 24, 2013
Best Leads and Supervisor are part of this crew. Working here was not only safe but productive as well.
Always busy!
FINISH FIBERGLASSER (Former Employee) –  Westport, WANovember 24, 2012
Defiantly always had something to do. Hard work, but it paid off when you saw a finishes yacht!
hard working and reliable
plumber (Current Employee) –  port AngelesMay 27, 2012
I'm at 29 year old female that us hard working and dedicated. Very reliable and flexible.
This was just a job
Laminator (Former Employee) –  Westport, WAMarch 6, 2013
Treated people like a number. Had too many supervisors. Not a lot of fun to work there.
Pros
it was a pay check
Cons
just a number!
Great job.
Fiberglasser (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAMarch 5, 2014
Great company to work for. Tight community. Takes care of their own.