Wet Seal Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WANovember 4, 2015
Fun seasonal job with little compensation benefits but a good starter job. Manager over hired and barely used seasonal employees due to poor planning. Many girls were let go shortly after being hired. We were given very minimal hours but was a very fast pace environment. Co workers were great and I learned a lot about costumer service and store closing functions.
Pros
usually were let out to lunch on time
Cons
no job security and benifits
Good company that could be great with better benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 19, 2015
I loved working at Wet Seal. Tasking was scheduled and simple to complete when it was focused on, management was competent, pay was adequate. I received a lot of hours but was kept part-time so I couldn't receive benefits, which is my only serious complaint.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Making sure the store maintain cleanliness and all items are folded neatly. Greet customers when they walk through the door also promote sales
Pros
Discounts on items
Cons
very short breaks, no benefits
Fun place to work if youre in college or early 20's
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2015
I started working for Wet Seal in my early 20's. Definitely had a lot of fun and good experiences there. Again, good job to start off in. Not enough compensation for the amount of work required.
Pros
Generous employee discounts
Cons
Being on your feet majority of the day and alot of work such as having to stay late for floor moves, markdowns, etc.
No room for promotions
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 16, 2015
Started out as a stock associate and was payed less than the other stock team, worked harder and asked for a raise but was denied.
Hours were bad, shifts starting at 2am and others starting at 4pm.
The only thing I liked about working here was my coworkers, would work with them again if it was for a different company.
Pros
Great coworkers and managers
Lax organization and disregard for employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 23, 2015
In my two years with the company, policy and rules changed so often my managers had a hard time keeping up, and often did not even try to. As a result corporate visits were staged events where the associates had to quickly learn new routines in order to satisfy. Benefits were limited and hours hard to come by, and as a result so were employees. When our store was closed, employees were given limited forewarning and were treated harshly when unemployment benefits were sought.
Fun and exciting work days
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 3, 2016
a typical day at wet seal is exciting! Every day we get new products. Its exciting because we get to see what the fashion trends are. Every day I learn something new like what is in trend and how people like to put their outfits together. Management is a strong group, because when things get stressful we don't let it show and we help each other out. The co-workers are fantastic they are always there helping us managers get things done. The hardest part of the job is making sure all product is out of boxes and placed in the right spot at the same time making sure your going above and beyond last years numbers. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping every customer find what they need and making sure they leave happy.
Pros
new faces everyday, discounts at the food court, great discounts
Cons
short staff, no set schedule, short breaks
Company full of lies who does not care about its employees.
ASSISTANT MANGER (Former Employee) –  Hot SpringsJune 13, 2015
This company lied to me and hundreds of other employees. I was offered a position here as assistant manager. I was told that I would have lots of advancement opportunities and full time hours. I left my company, that I was already been established with, for what should have been a great opportunity with wet seal.
They hired me KNOWING that they were going to be closing the store. However they needed a manager to help do it because they were short staffed. The CFO not only filed chapter 11 bankruptcy but he also gave himself a 95,000 raise two weeks before closing dozens of stores across the US. We were given a 3 day notice, 3 DAYS, to find another job. We were also offered a retention bonus of $150 taxed at 40%, you do the math. . . This left me and my family with no income very suddenly. They didn't even offer to relocate any of the workers to another store. . .
My entire life has been flipped upside down since this happened. This company does not care about anything other then itself.
Cons
Not a experience you want
Sales Associates (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 29, 2015
I don't learn a thing when it comes to this place since it became a drama house of High school. Cliques and principals, students who steal from the company who provides a pay check that isn't steady but since the corporate don't wanna provide the help we needed to do a goo job and good hours or even a decent raise. We have to suck it up, find another job, get more hours then we do pay if the store manager don't get the sales goal that hour of that day.
Broke status we are, its hard to enjoy a life and experience at a place if the respect level is low for each other, we talk bad about the associate, we don't do our job properly, were lazy, liars, just a one sided person.
Morals and goals are set to build an experience, to give a lot of encouragement to move up and excel.
lol Haven't seen that once.
Pros
Good Employee Discounts, cute clothes
Cons
Drama tension, discouragement, laziness, DRAMA FOR DAYS
Fun workplace for someone just starting out
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAAugust 23, 2015
WetSeal is a place for someone just starting in the work field to gain experience. For someone trying to gain experience for a first job Wet Seal is for you. Wetseal is basically for teens trying to gain experience.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
salary, breaks, and overall treatment between part time and full time employees
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSDecember 10, 2015
Great place to work and fun atmosphere.The low wages and long hours are daunting.Upper management has a huge work load. I learned to figure everything out on your own and to just correct the mistakes once the upper management gives you feed back.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Low wages long hours
Every shift was filled with fun people, though management wasn't the best.
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 20, 2016
There were too much expectations from the higher management level, they treated certain situations like a "do or die" situation. Which I think it is not fair due to it being a retail work place, and everyone who worked there were students. It was a seasonal job for me, and gained many sales and customer service experience. All of the workers there were girls, and there was a lot of gossip which I did not include myself in. The assistant managers were always fun to be around, though the management team did not give us a welcoming vibe. I am thankful to have worked here to meet nice people, and gain work experience.
Pros
Fun staff, great employee discount
Cons
no benefits, management, high expectations
Would never go back there again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 26, 2015
this was my very first place of employment and i will never go back there again. the hours were scarce. Threats were very frequent from shoplifter
Pros
employee discount on merchandise
Cons
pay, management, no benefits, no healthcare provided to employees
Fast pace, fashionable work setting
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work includes store operations such as processing shipment, visual updates, window updates, marketing, markdowns, paperwork, managing my team and their goals. The number one thing is 100% customer service!!!! I learned so much in the four years I've been there. I started off as a seasonal associate, worked my way to key holder and now hold the position of assistant manager. I have a great store manager who taught me so much about retail and how to manage a store. My coworkers are excellent, we all work as a team to reach our sales goal, execute store operations and give our full dedication to our customers. Definitely could not manage a store without our great sales associates. The hardest part of the job would be executing our store operations in a short amount of time while trying to run our business. It can be done it is just tough. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with customers on a day to day basis.
Pros
The employee discount is great!!!!
Cons
Not enough payroll hours for everyone.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2016
Gained some valuable tools and skill sets that will help me further my career journey in retail management. I was thankful for the opportunity that was given with the company
Very fun work place, great people and customers
RETAIL SALES (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work is helping customers find cute outfits, having fun, learning new things.
I have learned how to deal with rude customers and theft.
My management is great. they are always helpful, responsible, and trustworthy.
My co-workers are the best. they are fun to talk to, easy to get along with, and are always helpful.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with rowdy customers.
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers and getting to know them a little bit.
Pros
great work eviroment, discount, people, and clothes
Cons
limited hours
Enlightening work experience and interacting with many different people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at Wet Seal would include working the floor and straightening up certain areas to look more presentable. I would help a customer look for a size or get a customer a dressing room if needed. Also. if needed I would work the cash register, which would give me a chance to tell customers about promotions we had going on. At the end of the day as we would be closing up I would return clothes to their original places, I would clean the dressing rooms and clean the main floor and straighten up certain zones for the next day. During my time at Wet Seal I learned how to communicate with different types of people throughout the day and I also learned how to be more responsible and reliable as some coworkers would need me to cover their shifts or if my store manager needed me last minute I would be there for her. During the job there would be some difficulties such as dealing with unreasonable customers, but I found a way to push through and serve them with a smile and still have a respectful tone. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with different people and seeing all our skills come together to run the store smoothly.
A Job with a great experience
Part-Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Working at Wet Sea has taught me how a company works. I went in there looking for just a part time job, as a sales associate. Within a couple months i was asked by my store manager if i wanted to take the PT Manager position. I went head and took it, i was afraid just because this was my first job ever. But know that i reflect back, i really do not know what i was afraid of. Within the training, of course there was mistakes i made, but rom those mistakes made me a better and a stronger leader. From just greeting customers to being able to be in charge of a store. It has been an amazing experience!
Pros
bonus, team engagement
Great Company, Miss it!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2016
Wet Seal was a fantastic, trendy, reasonable company to work for.
Day consisted of visual updates, customer service, payroll maintenance and monitoring, hiring and recruiting.
Co-Workers were great, my manager was very experienced and easy to work with
Hardest Part: general hours, must be able to work weekends and nights
Enjoyable: fantastic discount, awesome clothes, trendy store that's fun to be in. Our store had TV's with music videos too.
Pros
Reasonable management, great discount, reasonable hours
Cons
Closed down
Never Again!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2016
A typical day at work is not knowing if you will be working or not. Always being scheduled as an "on call" while you've been there for 7 years and have the best stats of all the other sale associates. When you are actually put on the schedule the managers just end up taking hours away from you and make you leave early due to business.

I left just in time when corporate decided to file for bankruptcy and not bother informing their entire 680 stores nationwide that their employees would be out of a job.

Bye Felicia!