Whataburger Employee Reviews

Found 1,532 reviews matching the search
It is an ideal first job
Cashier/Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXAugust 10, 2016
I will not lie, I do love working there but it has its ups and downs. Mainly the idea of Whataburger is it is flexible for your schedule and the friendly Co workers even management. They are understanding, but it is stressful. Sometimes you'd be on your own in the kitchen, you do multi task to an extreme, and because either workers don't show up or they just stand around. Managers have a problem being able to handle them or even learning to talk to them in the right way. But it does have Healthcare, 401 K and it gives you many opportunities to climb up more. I'd say it's a lot better, if you can get through the 8 hours or sometimes 28 hour shifts.
Pros
Discount, friendly workers and management, ability to grow, raise every six months
Cons
Sometimee no breaks, management not able to handle workers at times
served Fast serviced food in a neat happy manner.
Crew member/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXOctober 27, 2016
Normal day at work in the early mornings were nice and slow.

i learned many way's to handle situations involving angry customers.

Management was well, did a very good job with keeping employees busy.

My co-worker were friendly and easy to get a long with.

The hardest part was keeping track of my schedule due to not having a phone.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the customers. I loved making their days with a simple "hello, how's your day going?"
Pros
Half priced meals. Good benefits.
Cons
Teams would come in and wreck the place.
Not a good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, TXAugust 7, 2016
I was a manager for one year and this was the most miserable work experience of my life. Some of the nastiest human beings I've ever encountered work at Whataburger in Paris. Team members are thugs and bullies and they run the stores, not the managers. Upper management had high expectations but did not offer the support to their managers to meet those expectations. Training lacked terribly and suffered in order to meet labor goals. Instead of ensuring one was getting proper training, they made you feel stupid and incompetent for what you didn't know.

I made a good salary as a Whataburger Manager, especially for living in a small town. Unfortunately the salary couldn't compensate for the miserable, hostile work environment and experience.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
hostile work environment, not good training
fast paced and pretty easy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2016
This job is generally for younger people just looking for a job. I learned how picky people can be. Management was pretty chill and wasn't like management much. Couldn't keep up with performance review for pay raises. Co workers were mostly young kids that were pretty lazy. Job wasn't hard at all. Most enjoyable part was the free food and discounts.
Pros
free food
Cons
terrible wages
average
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 19, 2016
fast paced, great food, and employees rather easy to work with. though that is not enough I have not received benefits as well as my hours have been cut. I was receiving 40 and above now I will receive around 30 which does not cover my living expense. and in turn are the reasons I am trying to find another career.
Pros
discount on food, friendly coworkers, great management
Cons
low hours, no benefits.
couldn't get home on a daily basis without being called right back to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 10, 2016
I enjoyed my job there and enjoyed learning all the new things I learned while I was there. They did pay well when I first started there but then they would either call me right back into work as soon as I would get home because the other managers did not want to come in when they were scheduled off. I started making around $2.18 an hour because I was making salary wages.
Pros
Loved the learning experience
Cons
Salary wages
I worked everything at whataburger, everyone there was really nice and when I needed days off they helped me out. I did have great hours.
Fast Food (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I earned a raise the time I was there. I had good hours and still had time to relax. Since whataburger was a 24/7 fast food restraunt, I worked pretty good hours.
Pros
We got discounts on our meals, had very good breaks
Cons
We still had to pay for our meals, nothing really
As an Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 3, 2016
Record and enter inventory and waste, ensure all purchase orders have been placed, check hold times and temperatures of food, check the unit for cleanliness, assign team members to specific duties, prepare for the rush period for breakfast and lunch, serve quick and quality food. After the rush team members have specific duties to clean their area and restock so the oncoming team member will be prepared for their shift and rush period. The hardest part of the job is being short handed sometimes. The most enjoyable part is consistency and knowing what to expect.
Pros
50% off meals, pay is great, benefits are great
Cons
upper management changes a little too often
Whataburger is a family oriented company with an awesome training stores
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, TXDecember 8, 2016
I very much enjoyed working for Whataburger. The culture and training was great. This company definitely cares about their employees and management team.
Pros
Medical, Dental, 401k, Vacation and Sick time
Cons
24 hour concept
Great 1st job experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glenn Heights, TXDecember 5, 2016
Fast pace work environment, I learned how to deal with customers accordingly without reacting. Management was ok. The hardest part of the job was trying to get a raise after being there for a year. Coworkers were like family.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Pay
Pretty fun job.
Unloader/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Very good job and friendly work place. Very easy job but lacks on having enough staff causing one to work harder then needed.
Pros
Weekly pay, good hours and they work with your schedule.
Cons
Not willing to pay much and small raises.
I Love My Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2016
I wish they would give me my raise already! I've already been there 10 months and basically can do anything from taking orders to cooking, assembling orders, expo and hosting. Very well and also quick to train new team members, I wouldn't consider leaving. Very fun environment also!
Pros
Oppurtunities for advancement, decent pay, fun environment, 401k
Cons
Healthcare, parking, equipment, location
great company to work for
Level 3 Manager (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXNovember 10, 2016
Whataburger is a great place to work. I managed there for 8yrs also was General Manager througout my career with them. Great pay great benefits and the on con would be the balance of life working over night.
Pros
great benefits great pay great bonus
Cons
late night hours
Hangry customers, conflicting policies
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2016
Most of the time, this job is fun. We always try to serve our customers the best that we can. Unfortunately, the only thing that general managers seem to care about is keeping their labor costs as low as possible, which means skimping out on service and speed. This means that customers get angry - especially when they do not want to pay for their food. The company policy says that if a customer crosses a certain line and begins to harass you, you can refuse service and tell them to leave and call the police if necessary. I had to do this one time - instead of the company standing by their policy, they reprimanded me and told me that customers come before policy and that I would "have to bend over if the customer asked me to." I quit once I knew that the company's policy could not protect me from being harassed.
Pros
quick advancement
Cons
customer service, poor compensation and benefits, poor management
Na
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKNovember 4, 2016
I liked the company but its hard to grow with this company. Especially when work ethics are over looked by management. The restaurant I work at under pays the employees.
Pros
Cons
No breaks small raises no room for growth
Productive atmosphere
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Paris, TXDecember 4, 2016
I enjoyed working there when I did, great staff an great company to work for. I enjoyed my job however I never received my raise an I had to quit an find another job which paid more.
Pros
Half off on meals
Benefits
A little recognition and a good boss go a long way.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mustang, OKMay 12, 2016
A typical day of work was a lot of customer orders at the front counter, table and window cleaning, helping in the kitchen if needed, and a lot of running around.

I learned how to handle cash really well and how to interact in positive ways with customers and people in general.

The management wasn't very understanding and lazy.

My co-workers, aside from management, were all great, they did their jobs well.

Moving all of the frozen stock was a bit difficult. They would never give me a performance review and by extension, a raise.

The food was fantastic.
Pros
Half priced food up to 5 dollars
Cons
No breaks unless you were a smoker.
Bad management
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Willis, TXOctober 15, 2016
They worry to much about labor and screw their graveyard shift over with only one employee and one manager in order to make up for the labor they over ran on day shift. Cash drawers are never right, and managers just sit in the office and expect the team leaders to do everything.
Pros
two half price meals everyday, great 401k and health
Easy, enjoyable job, poor management
Team Member (Current Employee) –  2209 N Tarrant ParkwayNovember 13, 2016
The Whataburger company is a decent company to work for if you can find one that will give you hours. I'm 16 years old, and am enrolled in a Career Preparation class in High School which requires me to work at least 15 hours a week. The first month at the Whataburger company was decent, and was getting around 24 hours a week, as needed. I was then transferred to a new building, where they completely cut my hours from 24 a week, to about 4-10 a week. When I confronted a manager (several times) you'd have thought I was asking for 40. The managers are mostly extremely rude and immature, and do not care about the employees. The only upside to working with the Whataburger coorperation is the pay rate as I started out at $8.50 an hour for my FIRST job.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Terrible management, minimal working hours
Productive day on the prep table
Cashier, Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 7, 2016
This was the best fast food restaurant I worked for. It was extremely organized, managers were great, teammembers helped each other out. Only thing that was bad about it was no insurance benefits.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Payed for everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whataburger. Our community is ready to answer.