Wheeler Clinic Employee Reviews

Senior Counselor
Senior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 15, 2017
Provide direct support to clients, resources, attend doctor's appointments, PPT meetings, treatment plans, attend workshops and trainings, work closely with DCF.
Pros
great place
Cons
pay
good
Custoian (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTAugust 12, 2017
I cleaned the classrooms, hallways, kitchens gym and safe house.
I learned about germs and how to handle special children while working there. The management was good. The workplace was normally a happy place except for a few instances. The hardest part of the job was when someone got sick and you had to clean it up. The most enjoyable was seeing appreciation for your hard work when a teacher would compliment you.
Pros
close to home
Challenging learning opportunities
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTAugust 10, 2017
Fast paced team approach; provided service to students and their families. Many opportunities for training and ways to advance. Health insurance and 403 B. Hours worked 7:45 am til 3:15 pm including team meetings.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Few breaks
Learn a lot...but seriously stressful
Clinician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 21, 2017
Probably a good job if you have enough experience. But if you're just starting out, the stress and workload will hit you like a ton of bricks. They'll tell you that your down time is important but in truth, there's very little down time because you'll be doing paperwork (unpaid) to try to keep pace. And it probably won't work.
By the way, I never met the CEO. She's apparently too busy to meet with anyone in the company beyond her inner circle...I guess.
Pros
Pay, clients, co-workers
Cons
Culture. You're expected to work north of 50/hrs wk.
Official response from Wheeler Clinic
July 26, 2017

Wheeler welcomes and values employee and former employee feedback. We consider all perspectives and recommendations. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Wheeler Clinic
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMay 19, 2017
Cares more about money than actual client care, and if client care is not a top priority then employees are cared for even less. This is a company that does not attempt to keep the truly good employees and turn over is very high here.
village community
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 28, 2017
this is a in care and outpatient facility that cater to youth and the medical needs that have in order to manage throughout the day. This is a atmosphere that encourages kids well being
Pros
family environment
Just average
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTFebruary 25, 2017
I've had a really good experience here so far. Communication is great amongst both colleagues and management. There is a welcoming atmosphere here which I have come to love. Some of the benefits offered are just average, although I do wish they'd offer a higher match for the retirement. Medical coverage is also just average, but could be better. Workload is really the one thing which I think needs to improve a lot. There is too much workload piled on of existing duties, without any emphasis on work-life balance.
Pros
families and adolescents I work with are truly amazing and have wonderful potential
Cons
workload is too high, retirement benefit could be better, couple of colleagues can be negative
Wheeler
Drug and Alcohol Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 16, 2016
I gained most of my clinical experience working at Wheeler Clincic. I also trveled to CT Correctional Institutions which allowed me even more experience with the criminal justice system.
Disconnect between Managment & Employee
Delivery Driver/Cook (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTOctober 11, 2016
I have worked at wheeler for several years. When I first started there was a different culture to how it is now. Management gave you the tools to succeed and encourage you to make decisions on your own. Now, you are completely micro managed by the minute. Upper management have such a disconnect between what they think is going on and actullay how the programs are ran. When you have certain managers belittling their employees and don't show any professionalism, that's a problem. Granted their are some people in senior management who really take the time to hear your concerns and validate what you do. Overall I feel that the certain departments in the agency are falling apart and can use some change in management.
Pros
Being in a position to help make a positive change in the youth we work with.
Cons
Pay, demand of the job
Poorly managed
Couselor (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJune 11, 2016
I worked here for a while. The group home was poorly managed, staff would come in and then go out to buy themselves food or go shopping for what they needed, where they wanted.
There was a severe lack of in house training.
When HR was notified of unethical comments and practices going on they began with a caring demeanor, then nothing was done about the complaint/s.
Management leave at the time they are scheduled, no matter if there is a crisis, or someone called out. Management does not flex their time, but readjusts your schedule without asking or telling you.

There needs to be a complete revamping of management, an emphasis on training in house and just a focus on the kids and job, not on where you need to go shopping for the day. Also, management need to have better attitudes and positive comments regarding the kids.
Pros
The kids are great
Cons
Just about everything from management to lack of training
Big mistake working for Wheeler
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTMay 20, 2016
Very over worked & under paid, under appreciated. Many of the management staff have been there forever and are no longer dedicated to the agency and the services but just there for a pay check. It's pretty horrible having someone less educated and less experienced trying to supervise you especially when they are dealing with their own lack of confidence. It really is a business that's all about $$$ could care less about the clients or the staff.
Pros
Clients
Cons
salary, back stabbing & back biting co-workers
Expanding work place new ideas evolving everyday
Court Support Services Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 2, 2016
A typical day of work consists of engaging clients, speaking with referral sources and meeting important deadlines. I have learned to be more efficient and how to really budget my time and energy. Our management team is great! I have truly liked all of the supervisors I have had while employed with this company. I have never met a better clinical team to work with! We all have great communication and try to help each other out in order to have everyone's day run as smooth as possible. I am a leader and will not stop until the job is done. The hardest part of the job at times can be the demand of certain things that are needed. There is also a lot of paperwork involved which I tend to see as therapeutic. It's also a job where you can't make everyone happy but I always do my best to go above and beyond for client's, staff and referral sources that I work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping people in many different ways.
Pros
flexable with hours (due to being hourly)
Cons
health insurance, vacation time
Positive Environment
Clinician, LMSW (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 26, 2016
Wheeler Clinic offers many programs to assist in developing your skills through trainings. Wheeler Clinic's work atmosphere is positive and the Administrative team is always working toward improving the quality of care provided to the population of clients serviced. As a clinician, I am provided Supervision and offered many opportunities to engage my peers with learning tools to meet the needs of their individual clientele.
Pros
Flexibility
worse
MDFT Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTAugust 30, 2015
co workers are the best nice place to work but benefits could be better. Friendly environment, good leadership but like many social services agency out to get more work out of their employees.
Cons
worse benifits
The people there are a decent sort for the most part, but we are perpetually short-handed.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 5, 2015
Are perpetually short-handed. Often, there are barely enough people to get the work done. I'm not sure what is wrong, but something certainly is. Often, there are barely enough people to get the work done and if the work load is anything above average,
Pros
Safe and comfortable environment and not enough people to get everything done."
Cons
No holiday pay (time & 1/2)
Working not just in the office, but in people's homes
Evidence-based Multi-systemic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTFebruary 11, 2015
I enjoyed the variety between field and office work, the different kinds of people I would meet, the flexible schedule, the intensity of the client's needs and the supervision I received in order to help clients and to be supported.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
A lot of paperwork is required
As a phone crisis worker i have been able to help clients maintain their mental stability during stressful, suicidal, anxiety moments.
phone crisis worker (Current Employee) –  74 east st, plainville ctJune 3, 2014
People need someone to talk to so as to help them in times of distress and dismay and as a social worker i have been able to be a support for such individuals. also i have been able to assist and guide individuals in visioning cloudy situations clear and give a sense of understanding in making positive decision.
In home clinicians are overworked
Clinician (Current Employee) –  New BritainApril 15, 2014
More of an emphasis on making the company money through billing than clients. Poor management, inexperienced supervisors and HIGH turnover with clinicians and supervisors. Unrealistic expectations, no ability for individual growth.
Pros
Mileage compensation
Cons
Long hours, high case load
Productivity
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 25, 2014
My typical day at work would be communicating with the school officials, hunting the students down, making sure the they are in school and check on their academic progress. Work hand in hand with clinicians, attorneys, Probation and Parole officers, and with school officials. The hardest part of the job is ending services within six moths when the clients is still in need of services.
Pros
mileage pay
Cons
too much driving no lunch time
Unethical company, therapists-run away fast!
Clinician (Former Employee) –  CTNovember 8, 2013
Company cares more about making money off clients than giving clients the care they truly deserve. You will risk your professional license if you work for this company. Management truly does not care about their employees wants, needs, or interests, there are no professional advancement opportunities. All trainings surround what wheeler requires, you aren't given time to attend trainings that interest you. Therapists, professionals, anyone with a soul that would like to keep it- run, run away fast!
Pros
Cons
No morals, cannot move up, care more about money than clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wheeler Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.