Wheeler Clinic

Wheeler Clinic Employee Reviews

Wheeler
Drug and Alcohol Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 16, 2016
I gained most of my clinical experience working at Wheeler Clincic. I also trveled to CT Correctional Institutions which allowed me even more experience with the criminal justice system.
Disconnect between Managment & Employee
Delivery Driver/Cook (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTOctober 11, 2016
I have worked at wheeler for several years. When I first started there was a different culture to how it is now. Management gave you the tools to succeed and encourage you to make decisions on your own. Now, you are completely micro managed by the minute. Upper management have such a disconnect between what they think is going on and actullay how the programs are ran. When you have certain managers belittling their employees and don't show any professionalism, that's a problem. Granted their are some people in senior management who really take the time to hear your concerns and validate what you do. Overall I feel that the certain departments in the agency are falling apart and can use some change in management.
Pros
Being in a position to help make a positive change in the youth we work with.
Cons
Pay, demand of the job
Poorly managed
Couselor (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJune 11, 2016
I worked here for a while. The group home was poorly managed, staff would come in and then go out to buy themselves food or go shopping for what they needed, where they wanted.
There was a severe lack of in house training.
When HR was notified of unethical comments and practices going on they began with a caring demeanor, then nothing was done about the complaint/s.
Management leave at the time they are scheduled, no matter if there is a crisis, or someone called out. Management does not flex their time, but readjusts your schedule without asking or telling you.

There needs to be a complete revamping of management, an emphasis on training in house and just a focus on the kids and job, not on where you need to go shopping for the day. Also, management need to have better attitudes and positive comments regarding the kids.
Pros
The kids are great
Cons
Just about everything from management to lack of training
Expanding work place new ideas evolving everyday
Court Support Services Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 2, 2016
A typical day of work consists of engaging clients, speaking with referral sources and meeting important deadlines. I have learned to be more efficient and how to really budget my time and energy. Our management team is great! I have truly liked all of the supervisors I have had while employed with this company. I have never met a better clinical team to work with! We all have great communication and try to help each other out in order to have everyone's day run as smooth as possible. I am a leader and will not stop until the job is done. The hardest part of the job at times can be the demand of certain things that are needed. There is also a lot of paperwork involved which I tend to see as therapeutic. It's also a job where you can't make everyone happy but I always do my best to go above and beyond for client's, staff and referral sources that I work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping people in many different ways.
Pros
flexable with hours (due to being hourly)
Cons
health insurance, vacation time
Positive Environment
Clinician, LMSW (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 26, 2016
Wheeler Clinic offers many programs to assist in developing your skills through trainings. Wheeler Clinic's work atmosphere is positive and the Administrative team is always working toward improving the quality of care provided to the population of clients serviced. As a clinician, I am provided Supervision and offered many opportunities to engage my peers with learning tools to meet the needs of their individual clientele.
Pros
Flexibility
worse
MDFT Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTAugust 30, 2015
co workers are the best nice place to work but benefits could be better. Friendly environment, good leadership but like many social services agency out to get more work out of their employees.
Cons
worse benifits
The people there are a decent sort for the most part, but we are perpetually short-handed.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 5, 2015
Are perpetually short-handed. Often, there are barely enough people to get the work done. I'm not sure what is wrong, but something certainly is. Often, there are barely enough people to get the work done and if the work load is anything above average,
Pros
Safe and comfortable environment and not enough people to get everything done."
Cons
No holiday pay (time & 1/2)
Working not just in the office, but in people's homes
Evidence-based Multi-systemic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTFebruary 11, 2015
I enjoyed the variety between field and office work, the different kinds of people I would meet, the flexible schedule, the intensity of the client's needs and the supervision I received in order to help clients and to be supported.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
A lot of paperwork is required
As a phone crisis worker i have been able to help clients maintain their mental stability during stressful, suicidal, anxiety moments.
phone crisis worker (Current Employee) –  74 east st, plainville ctJune 3, 2014
People need someone to talk to so as to help them in times of distress and dismay and as a social worker i have been able to be a support for such individuals. also i have been able to assist and guide individuals in visioning cloudy situations clear and give a sense of understanding in making positive decision.
In home clinicians are overworked
Clinician (Current Employee) –  New BritainApril 15, 2014
More of an emphasis on making the company money through billing than clients. Poor management, inexperienced supervisors and HIGH turnover with clinicians and supervisors. Unrealistic expectations, no ability for individual growth.
Pros
Mileage compensation
Cons
Long hours, high case load
Productivity
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 25, 2014
My typical day at work would be communicating with the school officials, hunting the students down, making sure the they are in school and check on their academic progress. Work hand in hand with clinicians, attorneys, Probation and Parole officers, and with school officials. The hardest part of the job is ending services within six moths when the clients is still in need of services.
Pros
mileage pay
Cons
too much driving no lunch time
Unethical company, therapists-run away fast!
Clinician (Former Employee) –  CTNovember 8, 2013
Company cares more about making money off clients than giving clients the care they truly deserve. You will risk your professional license if you work for this company. Management truly does not care about their employees wants, needs, or interests, there are no professional advancement opportunities. All trainings surround what wheeler requires, you aren't given time to attend trainings that interest you. Therapists, professionals, anyone with a soul that would like to keep it- run, run away fast!
Pros
Cons
No morals, cannot move up, care more about money than clients
A non-profit service for the community in Bristol.
Court Liaison (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTOctober 17, 2013
This position allowed me to interact with other employees and distribute information to Court and legal personnel, additionally set with the task of completing files for new referrals.
Great company, satisfaction with work depends on the department
Multisystemic Therapist (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTFebruary 13, 2013
A lot of paperwork, a lot of expectations. Good company overall, however, lengthy hours. Co-workers are kind and caring, supervisors can be very demanding.
Pros
paid mileage when doing home visits
Cons
healthcare isn't that great
Great place to help those in need.
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 25, 2013
I learned a sufficient amount on how to deal with juveniles and tactics on how to provide them with positive outlooks and behavior traits that would assist them throughout life. Management did play a role as the eyes above but they must when dealing in a non-profit field such as this one. The toughest part was preventing a negative atmosphere from arising with several adolescents of diverse backgrounds being so close to each other but giving my all to these children was by far the most rewarding job I have ever had.
Experienced Administra Assistant
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harford, CTJanuary 17, 2013
I enjoy working in the administrative field, I love meeting new people everyday.
Pros
team player
Cons
heathcare
Wonderful and respectful place to work
Senior Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJuly 28, 2012
I worked at Wheeler Clinic for 10 years as a foster parent as well as a Network Administrator. This is an agency that touches my heart with all the work they do to aid children and families as well as Adults.
Pros
wonderful environment with great staff and families
Their intentions to helping communnity and clients are lovely and very sincere.
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJune 29, 2012
Coworkers always share workloads or divide tasks fairly and will rotate willingly. This makes the job easy to enjoy if the day is without incident; but with incident, you must fight the guilt of consequences that must be given to stay consistant with all clients.
Pros
upper management are constantly appreciative of all staff.
Cons
shift changes: should be discussed with line staff.
Rewarding working with youth
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 25, 2012
A typical day consisted of providing a safe environment of youth in the group home meeting all of their needs on a daily basis. Monitoring all behaviors that residents exhibit. The hardest part of my job was the trauma that the youth have experienced in their life. The most enjoyable part was the progress that the youth would make.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
trauma of youth
Productive and fun place to work
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTJune 25, 2012
Administer medication to children. Help the children with their homework. Provide activities for the children while maintaining a safe environment for them to play. Working with the children has bought me great joy. The most challenging part of my job would have to be working over night.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wheeler Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9