Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Boring pass time honorable unemployment
GUARD (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 11, 2017
Typical security work site supervisor a goldbrick most guards played on their phones and did the minimum to get buy. If you are just wanting to get paid for doing nothing this might be the place
Typical day check I.D.S monitor site entrance or ignore them and way them through, walk about 1 quarter of a mile every four hours with a clip board and check temperatures on refrigerated trailers. Record the temps and seal numbers. Back to guard house and continue monitoring entrance. Guard arms work off a card reader so little is involved unless they don't have an id. Weigh in certain trucks. Monitor exiting trucks. Busy a few hours out of the shift mostly not. No cameras to monitor just play on your phone watch movies read play video games nap up to you
Pros
Easy pocket change
Cons
Lack of leadership, Poor pay, Poor planning, No raises allowed unless everyone gets one
Great Place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Landover, MD 20785December 10, 2017
Good place to work. I would recommend this company to anyone if your just starting out as a security officer. This place will get things started for you.
Site supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, NMDecember 9, 2017
When I worked for the company I was site supervisor. I was working sometimes 16 to 24 hours without any help from management. When I had some family issues with my youngest daughter who couldn't be left alone at night the general manager switched me from mornings to graveyards when I told him I couldn't due to my daughter he started treating me terribly. Then puts me on the no rehire list with no explanations.
Pros
Great company
Cons
general manager
great security firm
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2017
As a former employer from 2007 when they just started up ,it was cool at first to get hire because I came from another security company that was there competition and me being fresh with them ,they wanted to take a chance with me .
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
uniform distribute
Fast paced work environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2017
Working for Whelan is an experience within itself. Although the company hasn't had the contract for the building that i work in for very long, its ok.
Pros
Great Colleagues and Captain
Cons
Not enough pay/no career advancement
Was an easy work and would get along with employees from bold the customer and fellow workers
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 27, 2017
Work was easy and got along with fellow workers and customer employees , hardest part of the Job was the long 12 hour shifts. the management would support security personnel with all shift changes and request for vacation time and any family emergency situations.
Pros
Work was easy and busy
Cons
hours and pay
You be better off selling oranges on the freeway
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Delano, CANovember 27, 2017
Man the manger is never here. He make the supervisor do his job. He is hire people who don't even have cars and live like four towns over. Your relief is almost never on time because people live so far. You have to stand for 8 hours and can't move from their. They see you sneeze and the fire you. It takes one year to get replacement uniform. Sell oranges your better off.
Slow paced
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MONovember 26, 2017
The job was easy. There wasn't really any physical labor. Just be alert and ready to act accordingly if a situation occurs. I patrol my post hourly to check for anything out of the ordinary.
Pros
Overtime was always available, Easy.
Cons
Slow pace, Dull.
Ok, Great for a students
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 22, 2017
Slow work pace typical day I would say is to patroller the interior and exterior of the building. Worked the grave shift had down time to study for school.
Pros
lots of down time
Cons
long nights, low pay, no benfits
Customer service good communication skills
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2017
Security require standing on your feet and making sure the site is secure and safe uniform attire is a must great customer service,verbal and communication skills
Cons
30 min break
Excellent Company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 17, 2017
Friendly and calm work enviornment. Long days but overall a very fun job and a great way to earn some extra money. Only con is that I had a few overtime shifts I wasnt compensated for.
Busy stressful sometimes
Officer (Current Employee) –  MissouriNovember 17, 2017
Don't work here, they have extremely high turnover,poor training and lack of respect for work life balance,if you want a career in law enforcement this is the starting of you willing to put up with all the stress that comes with this type of job.
Pros
Cons
Virtually no break bad turnover everybody quits
Poor Management
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2017
Upper Management treats hourly employees like commodities rather than people. The cheaper they can get you for they will, and the longer you work for them and are not with a client willing to pay the faster they try and push you out and replace you with someone cheaper.

They will never go to bat for their own employees.

No work life balance
Pros
It's a Job
Cons
Everything else
Depends on which site you are assigned.
Security Officer - Control Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2017
Depending on which site you were assigned to and the personnel at your assigned site is what made the difference between a good site or a bad site. Certain people in management were not knowledgeable of their jobs.
Nice place to work depending at what post.
Former member (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 10, 2017
What I have learned that the supervisors are not available when you need them. And that HR decides on who should be let go if they are uncomfortable with some one. "That's not how to run a company."
Pros
Good Employees to work with.
Cons
Bad upper management.
a typical day awt work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2017
Working for whelan is an experience. everyday its something new with the kids, parents and staff. overall i enjoy my job mostly for the staff and kids. i enjoy protecting them at any cost.
Productive and active
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77082November 7, 2017
Be active, stay productive, smile, help customers, and ready for action.
Working at Whelan Security is great but no chance for advancement. Management is willing to help and guide their employees.
A good school with a good staff.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  5300 Blaine street n.eNovember 5, 2017
This is a good company to work for and it has good locations at the kipp schools.The company has good benefits and the hours is fulltime.It is a company that you can retire from.
very relaxed, not a lot to do
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 4, 2017
if you like to sit down for long periods of time. if you like to not have much to do but interior and or exterior patrols, very relaxed and non stressful. then this job is for you.
My location is at the hospital and all enjoyed working there.
Guard (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge LouisianaNovember 3, 2017
I'm Monitor and Patrol the main interest of the hospital as well as giving directions to The Visitors. Also login information of the vehicles when the mother baby is being discharged.
Pros
We do shift work in every other weekend we have 4 days off
Cons
Health care benefits is not good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7