Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Very Disorganized
Unarmed Security Guard/Relief Sergeant (Current Employee), Portland, TNAugust 1, 2015
Pros: The employees on the floor are very friendly. They have become family to me
Cons: Whelan is powerless to make any real changes to the health and safety of the clients facilities.
Whelan is not very well run. There is no chance of advancement, the schedule is never the same week to week. Guards keep no call/no show or falling asleep on post. Nothing is ever done about it. The Nashville Office doesn't support the branch office. Can't get new uniforms or help with logging into the Whelan website to check payroll. They hire anyone that applies regardless of their work ethic. Their pay is very low. They said they would give us raises and bonuses, but that never happened.
They suck! Racist!
Security (Former Employee), SFJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Nada
Racist HONKEYS IN MANAGEMENT! They fired all long term people to bring in another whole new force to pay new lower wages. They don't want union so they can mistreat, abuse, and racism in the force. All ex fired cops in management that mistreat and run everyone like slaves.
Low morale
Supervisor (Current Employee), Smyrna, TNJuly 25, 2015
Whelan has numerous issues that need to be addressed with Whelan management. As a reveiwer looking in, the way the employees are treated as far as benefits and compensation are not up to par, and the employees have no support from higher ups.
Oveworked and Underpaid
Supervisor (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 20, 2015
Pros: They will give you extra hours if need be
Cons: Short breaks, unreasonable management, distant co-workers
A typical day at work for me is doing building patrols of all 43 floors and all of the offices in the Metropolitan Square building. I also have to do garage patrols. The uniform that I am required to wear in the summer time is entirely too hot for anyone doing outside patrols. I have learned what being a security officer entails and how dangerous this job can potentially be. Management is okay but often times they are pretty lazy. My co-workers seem really disengaged and distant at times. My training was somewhat difficult because I am a hands-on learner, they tend to give you a packet and let you go about your business. The hardest part of the job would have to be doing the patrols. They turned a two-person job into a one-person job. Those patrols have to be completed in less than an hour and it is almost impossible unless you sprint down 43 flights of stairs and run through each and every office checking the doors.
Productive, and Professional enjoyable Security company
Security Officer (Current Employee), Albany, GAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: lunch, and rewarding accoplishments.
Cons: Short breaks, Securing areas.
Whelan Security is a Professional, Productive, and showing courtesy to all customers, delivering quality services to our company and customers doing an outstanding job each and everyday. I have learned a lot from meeting new people of different culture of ethics I take my job seriously, and it's very important for me to document each and every details. I am a peoples person my personality is in very good spirit very easily to get along with I enjoy my co- workers we get along great my management skills are very timely and productively in good accuracy. The hardest part of my job is if I make it hard, but I seem to do well and the most enjoyable part of my job is not only satisfying my self in the remarkable job I do is to keep the customers smiling and coming back.
security
Security officer (Current Employee), Samsung AustinJuly 15, 2015
Mismanaged company. Plenty of overtime whether you want it or not.Does not know how to deal with the client or officers. No training for new officers.Everyone is set up for failure.
woudnt work there again
Seasonal Security Officer (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 6, 2015
disorganized pay was horrible they underpaid for the hours worked work was easy but over staffed wasn't very supervised and over all I felt as if my checks were cheated out of all my compsation
Great Employee
Security Guard (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 1, 2015
Greet the employee when entering the building. Helping out employee when they need help. Hard part of my job when your co-workers don't do what they are suppose to be doing on their job.
Very Professional and friendly
Security Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 29, 2015
Pros: Good work hours.
Cons: Not always being informed about special guest
Mornings when employees were coming through gate to go to work was very busy. I learned to verify visitors to make sure visitors could come on property. Management was very good helping me with any issue I was not sure about.My co-workers were very professional and friendly. Bad weather conditions always create challenges for paper documentation and sometimes gate break downs. The great part of job is getting to know names of employees and saying good morning and saying good by in afternoon.
It's OK if you like sitting all day, suit and tie
Blue Cross Blue Shield Security (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 28, 2015
Pros: Some good people, you get to chase off skateboarders, and transients from the parking lot.
Cons: No advancement, no input from you, suit and tie at a desk
I was posted at BCBS in Tulsa Oklahoma, I started as outside patrol at 9.50hr, the people I worked with then were OK I guess, i was there for a year and was paid vacation time off. I left 2 weeks afterwards and came back a year later, things had changed big time,, we were told either our way or the highway. There's really no promotion from with in, even though the formal supervisor had trained me well in observ and learn and running the CCure system, fire suppression console and learning how to get along with almost all types of personalities. After reading all most all reviews on here I noticed one thing in common , no room for advancement, low pay and you get to play information desk. This is really not a security guard job, your more like an escort for employees and customers
Whelan Security
Security Officer/Concierge (Current Employee), Washington DCJune 24, 2015
This Is A Great Company For A Person Just Starting In This Field. Very Professional Staff However They Are Very Limited On Accounts, So If You Are Seeking Full Time Work This Isn't The Company For You
Management is Pathetic!
ROVER Driving miles just to hit 40 hours/week! (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: 10/hour average pay, if you view that as being a "Pro"
Cons: No breaks, Hard Work does not pay off here! ABSOLUTELY NO CONSISTENCY! ROVER POSITION SUCKS, AS YOU WILL DRIVE MILES AROUND YOUR CITY JUST TO FIND WORK TO BUILD 40 HOURS PER WEEK, THIS MEANS, IF YOU WANT 40 HOURS, MOST CASES, YOU HAVE TO DRIVE 45+MILES AWAY FROM YOUR HOME! LOL DON'T DO IT, IT'S BETTER JOBS OUT HERE PPL!!!
I am truly honest when I say, management is Pathetic!!! I have only been here for a month, and I have been trying to give this company the benefit of the doubt and time to work on their flaws, but NO! Realistically, if you are in my same position, and you have BILLS to pay, stay with this job until finding something better. My first week seemed to flow quite fine. I received 40 hours, and the posts I was sent to weren't mediocre. However, I have noticed that management lacks problem-solving skills. There are people who go check in at work, then leave, and steal hours...and there are people who fall asleep and do absolutely nothing. As I work overnights, and am an exception to that, I still get calls from corporate. I do my job, I don't complain, but instead of a tiny ounce of appreciation, I am called about BS! If the client has an issue with you, if the Site Supervisor has an issue with you, or if you think you are doing great, and someone tries to nit pick at every little thing, you will be called in to the corporate office to meet. Man, security is too easy for a company to write you up and make you have a meeting for every little thing. My advice to management would be, stop treating your employees as though they are beneath you and everyone who holds authority. Appreciate your employees, and respect them because we are all adults! Stop handling petty situations with anger and a mentality to write up and terminate people. Security companies are contacted, and are a dime a dozen. As a great dedicated employee, they will be sad when I leave. But, this company has a revolving door of employees so I may not be missed, but you have to look at it as a means to keep food on the table. But with this company, you have to be smart and leave before they get the upper hand. Don't be a fool, MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH COMPANIES 1ST, AND DETERMINE IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH THE CONS.
Terrble place to work for
Security Officer/Customer Service (Current Employee), MOJune 20, 2015
Pros: easy work, can be a fun job depending on what post you get sent to, Alright place to go if starting out in security
Cons: terrible terrible management; they lack skill to do their job properly.
Whelan really does not car about their employees. For instance I patrol a hosptial and the a/c has gone out in our truck. Our manager has been informed several times, but has not come out to fix the problem. Try sitting in a truck getting eaten by bugs and its 90 degrees outside. I come to work everyday for the past 5 months and this is how they treat me. Also I've been talked down to many times by upper management. Don't take this job unless you are extremely desperate and starvng.
Safe work place
Security Dispatcher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2015
A typical work day as a dispatcher was busy because I watch the cameras for suspicious activity, answer phones, monitor alarm systems and other office duties at the same time
I have learned that as a team you have to be able to clearly communicate or there will be misunderstands among coworkers
The management was good but I felt the this is where the communications failed
All of my coworkers were good people to work with but when employees don't get any days off because of lack of coverage, it makes them a little upset
The hardest part of my job was trying to please my supervisors while trying to do the tasks that are at hand now, placing things on the back burner for less important tasks
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I did my job to the best of my ability and have a great track record for getting things done
sat on chair and had air con and shack along with fridge
security officer (Former Employee), laredo,txJune 15, 2015
Pros: lunch was brought to me
Cons: but couldnt leave work
just typically long, got my hours was awesome co workers were cool. management was good just lacked a lot of workers always needed to call for a relieve.
Love the job and the people I work with,just does not pay enough.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Denton, TXJune 11, 2015
Cons: The only down fall of this job is rate of pay.
I most enjoy the people I work with and the team effort. Also the set schedule and weekends off is the topping on the cake. I have learned how to increase my customer service skills and my time management. Learned many new computer programs. Multitasking is a must at this job.

Management is wonderful and always there to support me.
The hardest part of the job is time management. I work in a cooperate building with over 1,000 workers, which leaves no time to breath on some days.
Great place to get to know people from town
Security Officer (Former Employee), Centennial, COJune 11, 2015
Just a good place to get to know everyone in the company. Many great faces. Contracted with good companies and job title.
Where do I start
Supervisor (Former Employee), Milwaukee WiJune 10, 2015
Pros: Its a job
Cons: Dont know where to start
Poor management, Company does not care about employee safety, its all about the contract. People are just a means to the end to make money for the company. Core Values are a joke. Nothing to see here. A place to no where with crummy pay and benefits. A true example of greed and sweat shop company. Shame on any company contracting with Whelan. The best part of the job is going home.. that's if they let you. No work life balance, if it was up to them you would sleep in your car on site and come back to work after four hours sleep. Fire people for no reason. They love,love, to fire people it gives them a power rush. Hire, Fire is the companies core value. People mean nothing to them, it's all about the money. A true example of corporate greed. Best enjoyable part of the job is getting out. I learned that life is too short to work for ..........s
Good Job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJune 9, 2015
The hardest part of this job is dealing with personalities but over all its an okay job. The job duties are quite easy and simple. Don't take a rocket scientist to complete the duties.
do not apply here
Security Guard (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 3, 2015
Routinely treat employees like slaves, often leaving them on sites for 12 hours or more without a relief worker arriving.

Laughably low pay.

The worst management I've ever worked with.

Confusing medical benefits had me scared to get sick.

They refuse to promote from within, and constantly understaff their sites.

Upper management are tyrants, often talking to subordinates like children.

I'd NEVER recommend working here to anyone...

1 2 3 4 5

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Salaries