Whelan Security

Whelan Security Employee Reviews

I'ts a nice company to work for.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Landover, MDMay 21, 2015
Pros: The ability to show respect to everybody you encounter that day.
Cons: Breaks are short when an incident arises healthcare excellent.
A company that you can learn and grow from to further your career in the security field.In this type of job to stay sharp and alert because excuse my language stuff happens and you have to be ready for it.My coworkers are like anyone out there trying to survive in everyday life hard working people.Management is there to assist us in any problems that come up.The hardest part when somebody comes to work in the wrong state of mind trying to take their problems out on you.The enjoyable part to go home that day knowing you did a good job that day.
bottom of the barrel company
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), st. louis moMay 21, 2015
Pros: insurance
Cons: no advancement
this company is bottom of the barrel along with Sentry.....they bring in the homeless for jobs.....there is no advancement...positions are filled by walking in...if they need a supervisor they pick one off the street, not internal.
They treated their employees bad
Receptionist Relief Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 17, 2015
They have no respect for their employees. They are very disrespectful and allow too much foolishness on the job with no room for advancement.
Poor leadership and even worse outlook on firefighter safety
Firefighter (Former Employee), Georgetown KentuckyMay 14, 2015
Pros: 24/48 schedule
Cons: See the review
On-site management has very little or no actual operational experience as a firefighter. The fire suppression equipment is no where near adequate for the type of facility to be protected. Apparatus consist of a quint aerial device and pickup truck with a skid unit, covering an auto manufacturing facility with 10,000 employees during a weekday. There is 500,000 gallons of fuel on site, and the "fire department" has 10 gallons of Class B foam concentrate. The aerial apparatus is in disrepair and not inspected annually. Turnout gear is outdated by 2-3 years, and should have been removed from service. Instead it is commonly issued to firefighters. Airpacks are frequently removed from service due to malfunction, meaning there are not enough airpacks for the 6 firefighters on duty. Fire suppression tactics are practically non-existent. HAZMAT response equipment is seriously lacking, despite the amount and type of chemicals frequently stored/used on the site. 4 hours of training is provided to firefighters each month, and extra training on your down time is frowned upon.
This place is a large scale disaster waiting to happen. It is a matter of time before a firefighter is seriously injured or killed at the hands of this security company.
Ok for a temporary job. Would not recomend.
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Easy job, pay is good for a job not requiring any sort of college degree.
Cons: Negative work enviroment.
The job itself is okay, it is security so its very boring. Coworkers were fine and some of the supervisors at my site were alright to work with. The job is very easy, the part that makes it difficult is that their is very little involvement from the corporate level. management spends more time complaining about employees and supervisors than actually trying to build a better relationship with them, a lot of the problems stem from management focusing on managing up, this causes a disconnect between them and their employees and is leading to an excessive turnover rate, currently most employees are unsatisfied with the way the company is running I made the mistake of not reading employee reviews online before getting the job, most of the reviews for this company are negative and from my experience I can tell you that the majority of the reviews are accurate which leads me to believe that the problems start from the corporate level.
avoid
Security Officer (Former Employee), Pomona, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
work here if you need to be paid nothing and be treated like nothing
no room for advancement
no real leadership
no good pay
Productive workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee), Brentwood, MOMay 12, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff all around the warehouse
Cons: No breaks we work thru them
Log in customer purchase order to make sure they are on the schedule for that day to deliver products to the warehouse. Make sure the property is well secured, I get along very well with my co-workers, the hardest part of the job is when the drivers want to argue with the guards about the bill of ladings, but we always keep it professional and explain to them the rules on out site. The most enjoyable part of my jobs is how well everyone works together to get the job done and all the laughs we have.
Heh
Building Security Officer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 11, 2015
Cons: Low Pay
Not very happy with the Company ask several times for a regular post and kept getting sent all over Dallas and Ft. Worth Area. Would be posted somewhere for 2 weeks at a time then I would be sent somewhere else.
Hardcore boss who believes he is always right and takes no advice from anyone. Grumpy and moody all the time.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Red Cross and WalmartsMay 1, 2015
A typical day on the job is doing my rounds and watching the site cameras for suspicious people and activities. I have learned that my supervisor doesn't explain all the needed information both about the site and job itself which leads to people being fired or in trouble ALOT. My boss beleives he can do no wrong and is always angry at something whether its good or bad. He yells at others no matter who is watching or listening. The boss above him thinks all of the security officers are making up accusations against the supervisor in question. The hardest part of my job is dealing with my supervisor on a day to day basis. There is no enjoyable part of this job. The pay is low and the hours are terrible. To top it off my bosses all back each other up no matter what they do on the site.
Ok till something comes up
Overnight Security supervisor (Former Employee), ADM St. CharlesApril 28, 2015
Pros: half an hour lunch
Cons: unprofessional people
Need more professional people in the business and reliable Officer. This compny dose'nt really care who they hire just as long as they have a body there.
ups and downs
Security Officer (Former Employee), Saint Louis, MoApril 26, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: bad management
A typical day involves walking the perimeter of your post. I learned to always be aware of my surroundings. Management was decent. The co workers I had were enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was staying awake at night. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Productive and fun place to work
Non Commissioned License Security Guard (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 25, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: 12 hr shifts
Patrolled properties, employees and alarm calls. Had a route to follow and had to hit many apartment complex to help with disbursements.
Productive idea of what work could be like everywhere.
Non Commissioned Security (Former Employee), Richardson, TXApril 24, 2015
I enjoyed the detail to attention that the job required. Not many people see the respect it takes to work as a Security officer. You have to have a high regard for yourself before you can have empathy for others and if you don't have that quality it will be a miserable position.
Poor place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: There's one supervisor that's really good
Cons: short breaks, very poor benifits
Whelan Security is not a very good company. They don't have very good management. They mess up on all their employees payroll. They hire supervisors that aren't trained. The supervisor are lazy and don't know how to run their shifts. They have their favorite employees that get very thing they want and the ones that aren't teir favorite get the short end of the stick. They expect the employees to memorize their 10 values but Whelan doesn't even follow them.
Flexible work place
Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2015
Pros: working independently
Cons: Low hourly rates
Typical day was observing and reporting daily activity by foot patrols and watching cameras. there were no other coworkers in the assigned building, but the person I will see upon leaving or arriving.
Good company, flexible
Lieutenant (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSApril 9, 2015
Worked for company in Ohio & Kansas. The company higher up management works best with staff as to where your more hands on supervisor could be more user friendly
Great job Culture
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Hours no real days off
This is security so every day is different. Reacting to issues that crop up.Dealing with guard problems. Payroll issues, Scheduling changes dealing with call offs. Managing different personalities.
nice job or work place
Security (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 5, 2015
Loved working here at this job set up for event shows at the metro dom as well as helped clean up afterwards. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to see the football players.
Fun place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee), El Paso, TxMarch 31, 2015
Cons: weather
A typical day as a security guard is never a dull moment. You meet new people everyday, the environment is never the same. I would enforce the rules, and make sure that everyone is enjoying themselves while following all rules. I would report to my management and fill out the log. The most enjoyable part of job is you make friends.
N/A
Officer (Former Employee), Florissant, MOMarch 29, 2015
All around bad company to work for. No opportunity for advancement, poor management, poor security, management is terrible about who they employ. Poor communication.

1 2 3 4 5

About Whelan Security

With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security – Read more

Whelan Security Photos