Whelan Security Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 15, 2016
I loved this job because I was doing something I like to do and could help the customers. The hours were good and I could do my work quickly without issues.
Pros
good pace to work
Cons
had to move back to illinois
relaxed work enviornment
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 14, 2016
A typical work day at Whelen Security included watching security monitors and making routine office checks. While employed there I learned how to pay close attention to detail and question everything. My job was to be the eyes and make sure everyone was safe.
Depressing place to work!!!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2016
All individuals that are looking to join Whelan Security!!! Please, make sure that you think twice before joining this company and working Miller Coors contract. Milwaukee Whelan management is very unresponsive. You will be treated poorly. This means that after your 16-24 hour training you will be working mandatory over time. This is caused due to lack of officers at the site. Recently staffing was reduced, especially on the weekend. Morale of the officers is very low. This is caused by Miller Coors security management isn't working with Whelan, but demanding what they want above and beyond the contract. Basically, when you have former law enforcement officers working in the private sector and have no understanding of what private security business is and start running the operation like a police department. With the only one miss - security officers aren't trained to act and think like police officers. THINK TWICE BEFORE APPLYING!!!
Cons
High turnover, mandatory OT, disregard for people's plans
Decent Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
I worked at a site for three years when the previous company was underbid by Whelan. Enjoying the site, I transferred to Whelan where I quickly learned they were not up for such a large site as the one I was working at. Thus, after only a little more than a year Whelan was released from their contract and I was out of a job.
I was a Security Guard at various post throughout KC,Mo. & KC, Ks.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 1, 2016
I got work in a lot of interesting places and meet some very interesting people both in Kansas City, Mo. and Kansas City, Ks.
Pros
They paid me a good salary with lots of over time.
Cons
Sometimes I was put in places where I would hear gun shots all night.
Race paced
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 30, 2016
Whelan Securtiy, was a great company to work for. A typical day can be showing up to a site and completing your basic task to supporting an NFL event.
Pros
limited supervision, supportive management
Cons
unprofessional supervisors
Great experiences
Captain (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 28, 2016
Depending on the contract you are placed on you learn a lot of new things and gain a lot of experience utilizing various software systems and interacting with various professionals of many didffeent levels.
Pros
gaining great experiences
Cons
Health care
Good company to work for.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 27, 2016
While I worked for this company at the warehouse distribution center I was assigned to, I enjoyed my job with them. I met a lot of people and made friends while working at this warehouse. The people were like a "second" family to me! I had a good rapport with all the workers & my supervisors too! I was upset when our security contract was cancelled!
Pros
Good work atmosphere. Company reimburses for clothing alterations.
Cons
Guard co-workers that were flaky & unreliable to work with.
Good company
Doorman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2016
Was one of the best companies that I worked for in Chicago pay was decent and you got plenty of hours. Wish I could work for them again.
Horrible company.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHJune 16, 2016
Worst company i have ever worked for. Management has no clue what they are doing and they just dont care about the employees only money.
enjoy working there, best bosses I have ever had.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63144June 15, 2016
I am responsible for maintaining safety of people and property. I work by myself mostly and do very well, and when working with others.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
white uniform shirts are hard to always keep spotless during work.
It was OK
Security Concierge (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI; Livonia, MIJune 15, 2016
No Real chance for Advancement. Had chance for interviews but they choose who they wanted before they interviewed. The hours were good, and the best part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Learning new systems
Cons
LOW PAY
Applying for a job here.
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2016
Why do all the companies that don't pay well are big on these assessments? I worked for companies that paid twice as much, and no assessments. Don't they realize that we see a ton of them out there know how to answer them. Because everybody else is doing it too. i.e. "Do you think everybody is a bad employee?" Really? Usually when we see these as new employees we run.
A steady pay Check with full time No raises No recognition No sick days and etc
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2016
greeting clients the people here are great the job is not hard just remember to smile and be extremely helpful document every thing in and out of facility my co worker are great and helpful as well i have learned great customer service skills
Good balance and knowledgable
Gate Guard (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MSMay 30, 2016
Day to day operations was hoping nothing bad happened.

I learned how to better talk to people.

Management was depending on who was in the office.

My co-workers and myself were really close and could relate.

The hardest part was not to get too emotionally involved.

The most enjoyable part was seeing people go home unharmed.
Pros
Balance between work and life
Cons
Need to work on some procedures and equipment
No worse than all the others but no better
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 25, 2016
A typical day for me is non stop answering phones,doors,alarms,cameras,and dealing with adult 's that are more like kids; I am speaking about security. Most employees that are hired won't follow the rules and call out for no reason.Making it hard on everyone else to fill their spot.Management has to do certain things to hire people but they go beyond what is necessary for what they pay. Not only are we security but fire also. Most security companies are only security but Whelan expects to get two for the price of one.The job is not hard except at sitting post. I have always enjoyed getting to know people so this is what I like most about this job.
Pros
Something you can add to your resume
Cons
Drama
A solid core but very little chance for promotion
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 23, 2016
Its contract security, and in that regard it is pretty stable, but it lacks any real salary increases or job advancement. Whelan has always been fair to me and if you are looking for a solid job(maybe not the best pay) then it is a good company.
Good corporate culture, poor local support
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 4, 2016
It seems that the Corporate Culture of Whelan is among the best in the Security business. The executive level management has a real connection to the staff. Whelan takes a bottom up approach to leadership where the lowest man on the ladder has a voice and the office of the CEO is open to suggestions. This is refreshing in the Security Industry which is refreshing. I have had excellent interactions with executive level management. My poor experience has to do with poor leadership at the local branch level leadership. Over the past 3 years there have been a total of 5 branch managers. The micromanaging style, the questioning of every decision, the turnover, and the failure to interact and communicate on a timely basis makes this company difficult to work for in my region. There is also something about the finance department which can't seem to get paychecks right. In the past 6 months there have been 3-4 payroll errors.
Pros
Good corporate culture on the Executive level
Cons
little management support on the local level, poor payroll accuracy.
Terrible company to work for
Lead EMT/ Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
Terrible company to work for. horrible benefits. Management is a joke. Pay is terrible with no room for advancement. If anywhere else were hiring I wouldn't be working here
fun place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 27, 2016
The pay is not worth what all you have to do and deal with. Most everyone is great to work with. The uniforms are ok. You have to make badges for all visitors, employees and vendors. You have to check all interior and exterior doors.

2.7