Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Not to hard but annoying
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 20, 2017
Nice place to work hard to get management to do stuff when you are short on people. My boss is awesome he tries to take care of is employees the best he can.
Pros
Fun job every is nice
Cons
No pay raise and hard to move up
productive very organized and they have health insurance avalible.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2017
Productive place to work great hours they work with you.
they have the best places to work upscale places more than most,
This security is a very organized company.
Pros
They work with you and they have great places to work.
Cons
They could give raises more often.
Low Wage's
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Houtson TxSeptember 3, 2016
Whelan is not! a company that I would refer family nor friend to work... The pay is the lowest pay when other security company starting pay is $12 up, and with and better benefit's...

You! will have to work long hour's just to make a decent pay check... The company do not! give any pay raise's no! matter how long you! have work for them, and it's sad that you! can be fired without any warning just for saying no! to other time hour's.....

There office staff care nothing about the field guard's who is the reason for all the update renew contract, they receive, and the guard's get no! pay raise's, not! even a 25 cent raise...

Whelan have a separate business account they can give pay raise's if they chose to, but you! can talk to your Supervisor can all you! will get from them is that is the pay that the post is paying..... So that Mean's NO! PAY RAISE FOR YOU.....

Working long hour's with No!!!!! Break's or Lunch for 8 hour's or more.... When there are labor law's against this, type of job abuse, and No! yearly pay raise's or Increase, but people are in need of work, so they will take this Mess, and that is what Whelan Corporation CEO'S and Local Office Manger's are very aware of, All they will do is REPLACE You...
Pros
LOW PAY
Cons
LOW PAY
last resort
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 2, 2016
this is a company who claims to be employee focused and they are when it comes to flexibility in scheduling but that is about it. i went 32 day with out a day off before and i was promised an bonus for taking extra shift but never got it. this is a company that sounds good on paper but once you are actually there it is a completely different story. i would not recommend this company to anyone who isn't desperate.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
no breaks, sub-par compensation, uniform and licencing fees are expensive, uniforms are poor quality, it takes forever to replace uniforms, get paid minimum wage when in training
Productive and safe enviroment
Security Officer - Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weldon Spring, MOOctober 9, 2016
The workplace cares about our safety and our clients. We are able to communicate easily with our clients to ensure adequate protection. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with hundreds of different people everyday from different cultures and backgrounds.
Pros
some healthcare, sprint benefits
Cons
short breaks, unorganized management
Contract security
Secuity Officer (Former Employee) –  Saline, MIJanuary 24, 2017
The pay for contract security is not the best. The benefits package could be better. Also, job security was an issue simply because of the contractual agreements and could change pretty quickly.
Toxic
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 16, 2016
Unreliable company to work for. No advancement or raises. Poor communication and management. No consistency in job regulations and unreliable co-workers.
just like any other security company
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 17, 2017
Whelan does not separate themselves from any other contract security companies. Low pay and very poor benefits. Very little advancement and growth.
The people managing the company do not know what they're doing
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Any townJanuary 11, 2017
Management does not communicate well with their employees. They expect you to work long hours with low pay. They do not like it if you do not like to work a lot of overtime. They are very understaffed and from what I saw they couldn't keep their help for extended periods of time because management treats the employees poorly. The impression I got was I am the boss I can tell you what to do and you better respect me because I am the boss and you're not. They have a habit of scheduling you with only 8 hours between each shift and sometimes it was like 2 p.m. 10 p.m. and then they wanted you to work 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and if you said anything you are a complainer.
Pros
Cons
If they change their attitude and gave higher wages they could keep their help
quiet
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYFebruary 8, 2017
not ideal hours working all week and saturday morning. no support or communication goes on. Poor leadership on site with day shift.Benefits poor. Only good thing is you can contact some in office and they will answer payroll questions
Whelan
Site Supervisor / Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NESeptember 29, 2016
I have no complaints about Whelan security except the fact that you don't get paid as much as other guard companies. The upper management is excellent. They are not really located in Lincoln, NE though, they only have one account.
Pros
excellent upper management, benefits
Cons
compensation
Simple Workplace but harsh Weather
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 23, 2016
Very great company to work for. The pay is okay and will increase. Your training is hands on so you will get the gist very quickly. Since your job is outside stationary the weather can be your worst enemy so make sure you be careful and dress accordingly and have glove warmers in the winter.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, and policies
Cons
pay could be more
Not the Worst Place to work but better than what I am hearing about others
Security Officer (part-time)--Wknds (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNFebruary 13, 2017
My experience is that contract security in general is a low pay, too many hours--but keep the overtime down-- job. Whelan in particular is not much different.

The culture of security in general is very similar to working for a staffing agency in that you may or may not get a good job out of it.
Whelan Security has a good reputation though and their name looks good on a resume if you want to keep a career in security because they do seem to have a bit higher standards.
Pros
Company with a good reputation, Depending on the site and if you can work 3rd shift--OT available, Not physical Labor
Cons
Low Rate Paying type of Job
Easy going, friendly environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 15, 2016
I loved this job. I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone that I know. This job was very flexible and wanted to work with you to keep your home/work life balanced.
Pros
Decent pay, friendly co-workers, open door policy
Cons
low benifits, hard to advance
Stable place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 4, 2016
Stable place to work,and enjoyed meeting new people and talking with them. Enjoyed learning security work from a different perspective.
Pros
Benifits with the job
Cons
No room for pay raises
Enjoyed being around people and the variety of duties.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Your job is what you make of it! Sometimes the job can be difficult if it's tedious without variety or flexibility. If the duties of the post are different you get to know more of the site and the people that work there to make more enjoyable.
Management is very helpful if have the will to learn and take their online courses for advancement and promotions.
Pros
Transferable to other posts and can take courses online to advance.
Cons
Location contracts lays you off and then have to wait for next post.
Nissan Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJuly 25, 2016
Does not pay enough. You have to buy your own uniform the funding is terrible. The only raise you receive is when you become a Sgt
Unprofessional supervisors/management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KY 40324February 12, 2016
Very unorganized management. Keeps people in supervisor positions that they don't deserve or have the professional ability to manage. Worked for them for more than a year and nothing ever changed. Got one raise at 7 month mark and no more. The job itself is boring and easy, the problem is company does not appreciate its employees or compensate them appropriately. Very unprofessional management. Very rarely got a regular 40 hr work week, most of the time I was doing 54 hrs because of so much constant overtime, from losing employees every week, because of bad management, lying about compensation to new employees, and hiring unqualified people. Left because of management, and unrealistic hours, not the job itself.
Pros
Job duties are easy
Cons
Management is corrupt
I was a Security Guard at various post throughout KC,Mo. & KC, Ks.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 1, 2016
I got work in a lot of interesting places and meet some very interesting people both in Kansas City, Mo. and Kansas City, Ks.
Pros
They paid me a good salary with lots of over time.
Cons
Sometimes I was put in places where I would hear gun shots all night.
Depends on the site you work at.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2017
I liked the site I worked at. Enjoyed the people I was working with. The job itself was was busy and challenging during peak hours. Very slow during off ours. Could be very boring at times. Management did not communicate effectively. Due to this they could not hire for positions needed and employees were required to pick up the slack. Forced 8 hour mandation for at least 1 person every day, usually more than one. Okay job if single, but having a family with outside work responsibilities made it impossible.
Pros
paid lunches, some good people to work with
Cons
Low pay. Most good people only stay a short time and move to a better job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7